Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 05:49:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Not going Pride Park  (Read 2324 times)

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
Not going Pride Park
« on June 20, 2011, 04:14:52 pm by DonnyRTID »
For those of you not going to Derby game on 20th August, there's alternative entertainment
 at the Keepmoat. ;)

http://www.doncasterpride.co.uk/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Not going Pride Park
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2011, 04:38:46 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Definitely one to avoid...

Sif

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 20, 2011, 04:58:08 pm by Sif »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=162509

How so?

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 20, 2011, 05:41:49 pm by Rios »

Ironic that you say that seeing your avatar is a player who was plagued during his career with accusations regarding his sexual orientation.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 20, 2011, 06:27:23 pm by bobjimwilly »
I really don't get the pride thing. Why do you have to make a big show and dance out of your sexuality? Surely members of the LBGT community want to be treated equal to straight people?

This is just a statement of \"look, we are different and want you to notice us\"

Or am I missing something? :blink:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 20, 2011, 06:47:02 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=162539
I really don't get the pride thing. Why do you have to make a big show and dance out of your sexuality? Surely members of the LBGT community want to be treated equal to straight people?

This is just a statement of \"look, we are different and want you to notice us\"

Yes.  To be honest they aren't really bothered if you and I notice them.  It's not about being noticed and they are indeed equal.  Why do you wear your Rovers shirt?  Or England shirt during the world cup?  Because you are proud to be part of a group.  Most gay people blend in quite happily most of the year and are just like the rest of us.  It baffles me why straight people get so bent out of shape (pun intended) that gay people want to celebrate and proud of the group that they're part of.

I went to Manchester Pride a few years ago and despite my initial reservations and with me and all but one of the group I was with being straight we were pleasantly surprised that it was a really good day and we never once felt unwelcome or uncomfortable.  It made me realise why so few minorities bother coming to the unwelcoming world of football stadiums when abuse is handed out so readily to all and sundry.

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 20, 2011, 07:24:43 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=162525

Ironic that you say that seeing your avatar is a player who was plagued during his career with accusations regarding his sexual orientation.

See below.

Quote from: \"Sif\" post=162518

How so?

Been to one or two before and just didn't enjoy the events.  It's easy to assume one doesn't like gay people from a comment like that, but having been to one or two of these just didn't enjoy them.  I used to live with a couple of gay guys and the aspect of these events they didn't like similar to me was the far too obvious flaunting of some aspects of gay culture.  That's just been my experience in the past so I've tended to avoid them (so have they to be fair).

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 20, 2011, 07:36:36 pm by Rios »
An easy assumption to make bfyp given your original post, apologies if you've taken offence.

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 20, 2011, 07:40:17 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=162552
An easy assumption to make bfyp given your original post, apologies if you've taken offence.

Oh it is, I should have explained my point, it's been one of those days.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 20, 2011, 08:49:49 pm by Nudga »
I might go. I'll probably stand a better chance of getting a blow job there than I would staying in with my missus.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2011, 09:36:58 pm by VivaRovers »
Unfortunately the 'B' in LGBT doesn't stand for 'Blind' Nudga

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2011, 10:52:21 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=162543

Yes.  To be honest they aren't really bothered if you and I notice them.  It's not about being noticed and they are indeed equal.  Why do you wear your Rovers shirt?  Or England shirt during the world cup?  Because you are proud to be part of a group.  Most gay people blend in quite happily most of the year and are just like the rest of us.  It baffles me why straight people get so bent out of shape (pun intended) that gay people want to celebrate and proud of the group that they're part of.

I went to Manchester Pride a few years ago and despite my initial reservations and with me and all but one of the group I was with being straight we were pleasantly surprised that it was a really good day and we never once felt unwelcome or uncomfortable.  It made me realise why so few minorities bother coming to the unwelcoming world of football stadiums when abuse is handed out so readily to all and sundry.

But why do people have to celebrate being Gay? It's not a lifestyle choice, its a sexuality. To me it's like celebrating if you have natural blonde hair, or two legs. I'm sure most people, including the gay community, attend these events because its a good excuse for a party/piss-up, but the fundamental reasoning behind organising these events just doesn't make sense to me.

Most gay people blend in quite happily most of the year and are just like the rest of us.

That's because they are exactly like the rest of us, apart from their sexuality. Why shouldn't they \"blend in\"?

It baffles me why straight people get so bent out of shape (pun intended) that gay people want to celebrate and proud of the group that they're part of.

Again, how can you be proud of having the same sexuality as other people? Unless you're being proud to be different, which isn't what gay rights is all about now is it?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 21, 2011, 09:10:28 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=162578
But why do people have to celebrate being Gay? It's not a lifestyle choice

Are you going to tell the Irish not to celebrate being Irish on St Paddy's day or shall I?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 21, 2011, 09:40:04 am by coventryrover »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=162578
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=162543

But why do people have to celebrate being Gay? It's not a lifestyle choice, its a sexuality. To me it's like celebrating if you have natural blonde hair, or two legs. I'm sure most people, including the gay community, attend these events because its a good excuse for a party/piss-up, but the fundamental reasoning behind organising these events just doesn't make sense to me.

Most gay people blend in quite happily most of the year and are just like the rest of us.

That's because they are exactly like the rest of us, apart from their sexuality. Why shouldn't they \"blend in\"?

It baffles me why straight people get so bent out of shape (pun intended) that gay people want to celebrate and proud of the group that they're part of.

Again, how can you be proud of having the same sexuality as other people? Unless you're being proud to be different, which isn't what gay rights is all about now is it?

Generally gay people have been persecuted for one minor aspect of their lives.  The pride events show they are not ashamed to be who they are,    it doesn't harm does it ?

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 21, 2011, 10:38:02 am by DRFC-PERKINS »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=162616
Generally gay people have been persecuted for one minor aspect of their lives.  The pride events show they are not ashamed to be who they are,    it doesn't harm does it ?

No it doesn't, me and my gf have been with friends a few times, its always a laugh.

donnyjay

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 21, 2011, 11:53:26 pm by donnyjay »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=162569
Unfortunately the 'B' in LGBT doesn't stand for 'Blind' Nudga

I reckon Nudga would be more interested in getting a reacharound off one of the T's.

It says on that flyer that there's gonna be Fire and Police activities.  What about the Native Indian and the Construction Worker?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012