Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 11:02:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Re: Strike planned by editorial staff for South Yorksh  (Read 3866 times)

King Barnes

• Forum Member
Re: Strike planned by editorial staff for South Yorksh
« Reply #30 on July 17, 2011, 09:34:45 am by King Barnes »
There's lots of different issues involved - no-one wants to go on strike - it is always a last resort.

But as was said on the interview on Radio Sheffield (you can listen to it at the link below about 45 minutes in ;) it got to the stage where journalists simply said \"enough is enough.\"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00hspyp

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GallagherLad

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 17, 2011, 05:55:12 pm by GallagherLad »
Johnson Press are consolidating to save the 'company' as paper sales and advertising revenues are on a terminal decline.

The 'company' is the staff and it's customers.  If it's customers are not buying the papers and advertisers not paying the required premiums, then something has to give.

Good luck with your fight

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 18, 2011, 04:36:19 pm by wing commander »
Well King,The Johnstone group as a whole isnt making money,however if the free press is,then maybe things are being amalgamated or streamlined to maximise efficiency..

Every case is differant however with the true story rarely told by either the company or the unions ,im just a bit fed up with it always being the nasty Directors fault while the poor down trodden worker is always paying the price..

Our company suffered a major downturn in orders around xmas and i decided that instead of making 10 people redundant i would carry them for 3 months in the hope orders returned,just before i was going to let them all go in April we suddenley won a good order and we are busy again.However that descision cost about £50,000.
   Roll on last week and the steward wants to talk to me about this years pay rise,ive said no,not even up for discussion at the moment ,and suddenley im the big bad profiteering director coining  at there expence.They havent a clue that i could have saved a lot of money and sent them down the road and tbh im wondering why i bothered not doing...
   Theres always 2 sides to a tale....

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 18, 2011, 04:58:21 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"wing commander\" post=168558
Well King,The Johnstone group as a whole isnt making money,however if the free press is,then maybe things are being amalgamated or streamlined to maximise efficiency..

Every case is differant however with the true story rarely told by either the company or the unions ,im just a bit fed up with it always being the nasty Directors fault while the poor down trodden worker is always paying the price..

Our company suffered a major downturn in orders around xmas and i decided that instead of making 10 people redundant i would carry them for 3 months in the hope orders returned,just before i was going to let them all go in April we suddenley won a good order and we are busy again.However that descision cost about £50,000.
   Roll on last week and the steward wants to talk to me about this years pay rise,ive said no,not even up for discussion at the moment ,and suddenley im the big bad profiteering director coining  at there expence.They havent a clue that i could have saved a lot of money and sent them down the road and tbh im wondering why i bothered not doing...
   Theres always 2 sides to a tale....

Like you say there are two sides to every story, and it appears that you are using a well worn management tactic of only telling a portion of the story.

As you say keeping the 10 people on for 3 months cost £50k, how much would it have cost to make those 10 people redundant?, A damn sight more than £50k I suspect, you then say you won a good order, presumably a \"good order\" is one that the company would make a profit from, then factor in the likely cost of employing more staff and training them after you won this order had you let the 10 people go, I would say that £50k gamble you took paid off and in actual fact it did n`t cost you £50k at all!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 18, 2011, 05:16:54 pm by wing commander »
Well Filo,i would expect it would have cost very little,at least 6 would have been here under 2 years so no cost,the other 4 wouldnt have cost much more than a total of 6-10k.....
   The cost of retraining most would be nothing as 6 would have been general labourers,the other 4 more skilled about £500 for a advert in the paper...and my time to interview a dozen or so....
   So your right it wouldnt have cost 50k more like 40k......

Well worn management tactic????? Thats the whole point Filo,i didnt follow the normal management tactic.Sadly however after evaluating the costs against the benefits i will be the first to admit i will be next time,and i dont take any pride in saying that...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012