Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lots of positives  (Read 2782 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Lots of positives
« on August 13, 2011, 04:40:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Yeah sloppy goal but after that I thought we did very well. Last season we lost and played poorly towards the end. again we had chances and deserved something from the game. Lot of positives in there for me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RUPRECHT

• Forum Member
Re: Lots of positives
« Reply #1 on August 13, 2011, 04:46:00 pm by RUPRECHT »
not least the defence who look much improved on last season. Really impressed by George and Tommy.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 13, 2011, 04:46:20 pm by Superspy »
Agree with that on the whole. I thought it was a decent game, just a shame to lose to a concentration lapse in the first 5 minutes. We struggled to break them down in the first half, but we certainly weren't outplayed.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 13, 2011, 04:50:20 pm by jonnydog »
Agree, though I would have liked to see Gorgeous stop passing back to Woods and get it forward in the first half. Personally I think Tommy Spurr is proving a very good signing!!

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 13, 2011, 04:56:40 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=175196
Agree, though I would have liked to see Gorgeous stop passing back to Woods and get it forward in the first half. Personally I think Tommy Spurr is proving a very good signing!!

I can understand why people are getting a bit frustrated with it, but my own opinion is that if the options are boot it long or pass it back to woods, I'd rather him go back. Obviously if he's got an option forward then that is different.

I think you're right about Tommy Spurr, but to be honest I'm impressed with all of our signings so far, particularly Spurr and Naylor.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 13, 2011, 04:58:50 pm by eastender »
I thought we showed an average looking West Ham  far too much respect in the first 25mins ,with no one willing to bust a gut to help Brown out up front.
The mid field seemed happy to just sit back and let them play.

Having said that, once we got to grips and started to mix it ,i thought we made Parker  look ordinary and with a bit of look we could have got something from the game points wise and not just positives.:(

Chrisd_123

« Reply #6 on August 13, 2011, 04:59:16 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=175205
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=175196

I can understand why people are getting a bit frustrated with it, but my own opinion is that if the options are boot it long or pass it back to woods, I'd rather him go back. Obviously if he's got an option forward then that is different.

I think you're right about Tommy Spurr, but to be honest I'm impressed with all of our signings so far, particularly Spurr and Naylor.

It's exactly how Swansea have been playing in the past few seasons. I'd much rather it go back to Woods to start a move again if somethings not quite right than Oster playing a stupidly hard pass and losing possesion or hoofing straight back to the opposition.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 13, 2011, 05:03:13 pm by vaya »
Quote from: \"eastender\" post=175210
I thought we showed an average looking West Ham  far too much respect in the first 25mins ,with no one willing to bust a gut to help Brown out up front.

Having said that, once we got to grips and started to mix it ,i thought we made Parker  look ordinary and with a bit of look we could have got something from the game points wise and not just positives.:(

Parker is ordinary, at least on the evidence of his first two games in the Championship. Spent most of today literally going round in circles.

From our point of view, good performances from Muzzy, Spurr and especcially Oster who basically ran the game. The problem we're facing though is lack of outlet up front - there's no-one to play off Brown (which isn't really of our doing)

Chrisd_123

« Reply #8 on August 13, 2011, 05:12:20 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"vaya\" post=175216
Quote from: \"eastender\" post=175210

Parker is ordinary, at least on the evidence of his first two games in the Championship. Spent most of today literally going round in circles.

From our point of view, good performances from Muzzy, Spurr and especcially Oster who basically ran the game. The problem we're facing though is lack of outlet up front - there's no-one to play off Brown (which isn't really of our doing)

Parker clearly didn't want to be there. He's obviously waiting for his agent to ring him so he can be off. He didn't want to play today and it was obvious he wasn't giving his all. Very lacklustre.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 13, 2011, 05:32:59 pm by Akinfenwa »
First half we were shite and West Ham were in total control. Our defence just passed it around needlessly and we hardly even got into their third of the pitch. Woods probably touched the ball more than any other player in the first half which is all well and good if you're not getting beat and in no hurry to score. The Nolan goal was poor, a player shouldn't be getting on the end of a cross in that position. I think Woods has to come off his line for balls in like that. Going 1-0 down so early against an Allardyce team is never a good idea.

Second half we were better, more direct and won the ball further up the pitch. We had a couple of decent chances but we were not clinical enough. That said however we still didn't test Green enough, he only had one save to make I think. West Ham always seemed pretty comfortable and didn't look like throwing the points away as they were difficult to break down and soaked up a bit of pressure without much trouble.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 13, 2011, 05:35:30 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Yeah I really enojoyed todays game. Maybe part of the reason being my relocation from the East Stand to the South stand - wow what a difference in atmosphere!

As for the game...to me we started far too cautiously...and I feared the worse after the first ten minutes. I thought Woods in goal had a shocking first half but vastly improved in the second.

Given the number of players missing we were more than a match for West Ham...and if Copps' header had crept in just after halfway through the second half Im convinced we'd have gone on to win.

My only concern? The lack of shots we take when in our around the edge of the box, surely you've got to take a chance now and again rather than looking for that perfect pass?

Cricketer3

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 13, 2011, 05:47:11 pm by Cricketer3 »
agree with your comments only negative was bennett thought the game seemed to pass him by.one for the future just need to tread carefully with for now.:rtid:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 13, 2011, 06:10:30 pm by DonnyNoel »
I'd go along with the theme of the thread, showed them too much respect early on and then made them look average when we plucked up courage to have a go. Struck me as a bit like Newcastle, not a great \"team\" but good enough players individually to go up.

Defence looks a lot better and both Naylor and Spurr have improved what we had.

The only real negative is the obvious - two decent performances against two only just above average sides and nothing to show for it. A bit more bravery going forward (maybe its just Barnes, Bennett and Brown still settling) and I think we can pull good results from Forest and Derby.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 13, 2011, 06:17:43 pm by Mr1Croft »
I decided to attend last minute (possibly because of the AGM as well) and really glad that we did.

Thought SOD made the most out of the squad left after the massacre on injuries continued earlier this week.

I think both teams were too cautious in the opening ten minutes, Nolan's break into the box really shows what a difference that kind of run can do even with poor crosses. I thought after the goal we would be forced to sit back and struggle to make chances happen. That said I thought movement was excellence from all attacking players and against a different defence we may have got lucky before the break.

We improved by a landmark in the second half and on a different day we may have equalised; or gone on to win the game. We made some terrfic counters which isnt often for our club, and this was helped by the roaring keepmoat; quite possibly the loudest it's ever been in a  league match in the second half when we was all singing.

I was once again impressed with George; organised the defence well and thought he was beaten by pace with some runs from West Ham but he proved me wrong when he popped up to clear the danger.

Barnes and Brown were average but they weren't poor, Brown has never been the lone striker type player and this was evident today. Coppinger played well but his passes were inches from the perfect pass in two occasions (his pass across the box and when he ran from win to edge of box and missed the chance to lay Oster off). Spurr, Muzzy, Bennet and Oster played exceptionally well in the second half.

Considering our injuries, if we can put in performances like that; I'm not too worried about this season.

However it has been 14 league games since our last win, but records are there to be broken.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 13, 2011, 06:17:52 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=175247
Yeah I really enojoyed todays game. Maybe part of the reason being my relocation from the East Stand to the South stand - wow what a difference in atmosphere!

That's the downside to a stadium with crap acoustics, if you're not sat right in the atmosphere, it feels like there isn't one. Glad you enjoyed it :)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 13, 2011, 06:22:46 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Superspy\" post=175273
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=175247

That's the downside to a stadium with crap acoustics, if you're not sat right in the atmosphere, it feels like there isn't one. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Sing and they will come :P (and join in if we ever manage to get the place rocking :laugh: )

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 13, 2011, 07:16:09 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Surely the biggest positive was no injuries!! ;)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2011, 07:54:52 pm by Jonathan »
Definitely positives to take from today's game.

You have to look at the players in West Ham's team and the cost of it too, they have a lot of players in and around the England set ups and it's like competing on a totally different level really. We are decimated by injuries but I thought we gave it a good go and were a bit unfortunate to get nothing, especially on the balance of play.

The goal we conceded was very poor from our perspective, but heads didn't drop and we responded well. There was some excellent interplay through midfield, Oster was involved in everything (again) and George Friend continues to excel at centre half.

The big performances for me were from the full backs. Dumbuya showed a bit of everything, solid defensively, knew what he was doing positionally, very comfortable on the ball and offers a threat going forward too. On the other side, Spurr looks a real find. It's hard to match what some of the Sheffield Wednesday fans said about him with the player that has turned out for us in the first few games. He looks solid, uncompromising, defends well, uses the ball efficiently and his fitness levels are astounding, he covers some unbelievable ground up and down the left. It's early days but if he continues in this manner I think we'll have one of the top left backs in the division.

We played some good stuff as a team and carved out a few chances. Sharp would have probably been quicker to get a shot away in a couple of the situations and unfortunately Copps was caught in two minds when he went through, probably should have taken on a shot with his left with the benefit of hindsight. I thought we missed Mason and his direct running and ability to carry the ball through the middle, but no complaints with any of the lads that played.

It's disappointing not to have any points and the sooner we get off the mark the better, but it's not all doom and gloom by any means. There's promise in this team, especially when we get a few players back.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2011, 10:12:42 pm by PDX_Rover »
Good teams build from the back.  We were lacking in that department but I think we have been canny with who we have brought in.  If and when we have a fully fit squad....look out.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 13, 2011, 10:24:34 pm by Superspy »
we'll be having a brilliant 2017/18 season then.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 13, 2011, 11:44:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Although you wouldn't have known from BBC reporting who seem to go out of their way to suck up to West Ham, giving the impression they dominated the whole game. Somehow managed to exclude Copps first chance from the highlights.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012