Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 12:00:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A reality check - Trading Places  (Read 2008 times)

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
A reality check - Trading Places
« on September 07, 2011, 03:00:38 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Not sure how many remember this documentary, but I came across it again the other day & it had the same effect on me as Ashes to glory....and hopefully it might have the same effect on anyone who is feeling a bit glum about the relative bad luck we're suffering from of late. If you're struggling for something to watch later, stick this on and relive the chaos.

Almost forgot about the fans & players nearly scrapping after BEATING Hull in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u70gcbdYEGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9LdKQnoMI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0JrAqUvD6I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUesC3QbfXM&feature=related

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
Re: A reality check - Trading Places
« Reply #1 on September 07, 2011, 06:06:14 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Have you got here via a worm hole?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 07, 2011, 06:17:44 pm by MrFrost »
Fantastic watch.
Actually, I after watching this for the first time in about 12 years, I do actually have a degree of sympathy for Mark Weaver. He could have quite easily fooked off but for some reason stuck it out and ran the club to the administrators budget.

Richardson on the other hand I hope rots in hell.

Just makes you wonder if we had by some miracle stayed up, or some leech like Anton Johnson had bought the club where we could be now.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 08, 2011, 07:23:00 am by keyser_soze »
Sympathy? The decent thing for that bell-end to have done would have been to get the hell out and refuse to do Richardsons dirty work. Not sit there and bring in Manchester's finest as his players/bodyguards. Richardson hid behind a mobile phone, Weaver was the guy going out and signing his neighbour to play in goal for our relegation decider against Brighton. The most obvious throwing of a game ever and god knows why the FA didn't get hold of that.

If anyone you could be sympathetic to Danny Bergara in retrospect as a once respected manager trying to do a job he'd been hired to do, but don't feel sorry for bloody Weaver.

I remember blindly hoping that Anton Johnson bought the club. Just shows how desperate we were back then.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 08, 2011, 10:50:54 am by MrFrost »
But Weaver was the man responsible for the day to day running of the club, and did he or did he not keep the club afloat and stick to the budgets imposed by the administrators? Had he walked, who would have done it? I'm not saying the man wasn't a tosser, his comments at the time to the fans and his support for Richardson was disgusting.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 08, 2011, 06:12:24 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=181106
But Weaver was the man responsible for the day to day running of the club, and did he or did he not keep the club afloat and stick to the budgets imposed by the administrators? Had he walked, who would have done it? I'm not saying the man wasn't a tosser, his comments at the time to the fans and his support for Richardson was disgusting.

ergo he shouldn't have been running the club - any fool can \"manage\" a club by paying leccy bills, organising coaches and not spend any money on players?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 08, 2011, 06:16:58 pm by MrFrost »
And I wonder who would have replaced him? Richardson wouldn't have appointed anyone other than a yes man.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 08, 2011, 06:21:57 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=181150
And I wonder who would have replaced him? Richardson wouldn't have appointed anyone other than a yes man.

The answer is that the administrators would have put their man in. Did you know that Weaver was paid a grand a week for his efforts? In football terms it doesn't sound a lot now, of course, but we're talking 13 years ago. And I'd bet at that time he was paid more than any one player.

Keyser- I've always had my suspicions about that Brighton match, because as well as Weaver's neighbour there was another inadequate non-League trialist fielded in that game.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 08, 2011, 06:51:50 pm by MrFrost »
Ok.
The grand a week is probabbly the reason he didn't leave then. He was probably enough to put up with the abuse and threats for this kind of pay cheque.

mkrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 08, 2011, 07:50:48 pm by mkrover »
anyone know what has happened to either weaver or Ken since he finished his time? with the 9/11 annaversary coming up was hoping they may have been on holiday about that time together, checking out the views from one of the towers....

too much hatred still buring inside me, me thinks.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 08, 2011, 08:17:26 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=181151
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=181150

The answer is that the administrators would have put their man in. Did you know that Weaver was paid a grand a week for his efforts? In football terms it doesn't sound a lot now, of course, but we're talking 13 years ago. And I'd bet at that time he was paid more than any one player.

Keyser- I've always had my suspicions about that Brighton match, because as well as Weaver's neighbour there was another inadequate non-League trialist fielded in that game.

The t**t should have been paid in washers, both Weaver and Richardson were t**ts and probably still are . £52k p.a. still sounds like half decent money even by modern comparisons.......he was worth 'sweet fa' imo. :angry:

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 09, 2011, 09:54:13 pm by ctay »
Yeah not seen that for years. Still makes me want to punch Weaver.

Amazing really, at the time Halifax were going places. Shame what has happened to them.

Little Jamie Paterson looked good!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012