Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:09:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: im sorry but he has to go Monday  (Read 11658 times)

danrover82

• Forum Member
Re: im sorry but he has to go Monday
« Reply #90 on September 17, 2011, 07:33:14 pm by danrover82 »
I cant believe the ammount of people thinking we have a god given right not to struggle in this league. We have been punching above our weight for years in this league and we all know that. Just look at some of the clubs in this league FFS only 5 of us have never been in the Premier League!

Anyone remember our first season in this league? the results were in the league as follows up to Boxing Day:

W D L W L L L L L L D L L L D L W D D D W L L L   or summed up

W = 4 D = 6  L = 14.

By the end of the season ity was:

Played 46 W 17 D 7 L 22

The guy couldn't do a thing wrong so whats changed? a couple of good stable years and the fans higher expectations.

The guys been in the press on numerous occassions and so has JR saying that money is tight  and not available to buy quality players but look at some of the players hes managed to get in, Mason, Bennett, Barnes, Brown.

I dont agree with everything he does and he aint perfect, but who says gettin a manager in will work? Look at Sheffield United. We have never seen what he's capable of with money at his disposal apart from Billy really.  JR got him here for his football style and the ability to work wonders with no cash, but the board need to back him more than ever financial and time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on September 17, 2011, 07:36:01 pm by southwestexile »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=182994
Quote from: \"southwestexile\" post=182989

Mickey Adams needs a job

Is he unhappy at Port Vale like?

oops, didn't know anyone would ever employ him again :coat:

anyway, you get my point, who could we get?

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 17, 2011, 09:03:59 pm by Standanista »
I'm mightily pissed off with losing today, again, and the temptation to (re)join the \"SOD Out!\" contingent is increasingly strong, but, mindful of the discussion about the Bremner era earlier this week, I shall at least try and be objective:

1. SOD didn't become a bad manager overnight.  The man has his system and he has shown that that system will succeed if he has the quality and depth of players capable of running it at a given level.

2. It's clear from results and performances that we don't have that quality and depth, here and now, to compete in this division.  We've been fortunate in having had the services of Mills, Shackell, a younger Sullivan, JET et al, and were unlucky to lose Sharp first game of the season, but in reality we've not even begun to establish the foundations of a dynasty to be able to maintain success at Tier Two.

3. I don't buy into the \"unlucky with injuries\" argument; on the contrary, as with death and taxes, picking up injuries over a season is a certainty.  Where we have failed is in not having the depth of quality in the squad to ride these out.

4. SOD's a bloke whose track record indicates that he's in for the long run come rough and smooth.  He was at Dean Court for 22 years.

5. If we carry on with the presently-employed methods and tactics, with this squad and level of financing, in this division, we will get relegated at the end of this season.  However:

6. Having got into this division after decades in the lower leagues and worse, we should be fighting tooth and nail to maintain this status.   The choices to me, thus, seem fairly obvious:
[ul]
  [li]Give SOD the money he needs to make his system work.[/li]
  [li]Lose any \"Arsenal of the North\" aspirations, accept that ultimately we are a \"Pub team, having a laugh\", and look more to Wimbledon's Crazy Gang era and ethos to keep our place in this league.[/li]
  [li]Copy the West Brom model: don't overspend, stick to (SOD's) footballing principles, and accept the fact that we are going to yo-yo between this division and the one below.  That would still be relative success for a club our size, but we'd still need a few better players brought in.[/li]
[/ul]

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 17, 2011, 09:13:15 pm by wabtec »
Quote from: \"Standanista\" post=183064
I'm mightily pissed off with losing today, again, and the temptation to (re)join the \"SOD Out!\" contingent is increasingly strong, but, mindful of the discussion about the Bremner era earlier this week, I shall at least try and be objective:

1. SOD didn't become a bad manager overnight.  The man has his system and he has shown that that system will succeed if he has the quality and depth of players capable of running it at a given level.

2. It's clear from results and performances that we don't have that quality and depth, here and now, to compete in this division.  We've been fortunate in having had the services of Mills, Shackell, a younger Sullivan, JET et al, and were unlucky to lose Sharp first game of the season, but in reality we've not even begun to establish the foundations of a dynasty to be able to maintain success at Tier Two.

3. I don't buy into the \"unlucky with injuries\" argument; on the contrary, as with death and taxes, picking up injuries over a season is a certainty.  Where we have failed is in not having the depth of quality in the squad to ride these out.

4. SOD's a bloke whose track record indicates that he's along for the long run, come rough and smooth.  He was at Dean Court for 22 years.

5. If we carry on with the presently-employed methods and tactics, with this squad and level of financing, in this division, we will get relegated at the end of this season.  However:

6. Having got into this division after decades in the lower leagues and worse, we should be fighting tooth and nail to maintain this status.   The choices to me, thus, seem fairly obvious:
[ul]
  [li]Give SOD the money he needs to make his system work.
[/li]
  [li]Lose any \"Arsenal of the North\" aspirations, accept that ultimately we are a \"Pub team, having a laugh\", and look more to Wimbledon's Crazy Gang era and ethos to keep our place in this league.
[/li]
  [li]Copy the West Brom model: don't overspend, stick to (SOD's) footballing principles, and accept the fact that we are going to yo-yo between this division and the one below.  I'd wager that even this though needs a few better players brought in.[/li]
[/ul]

1.would anyone give money to someone who paid 200,000 for spur and 100,000 for webster.
2.we are nt arsenal of the north now believe me
3.I can understand we could yoyo between divisions but not this bad and with some fight,I would nt trust sod to pick the players we dont need anymore midgets,it was like men against boys today they were just brushed aside.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 17, 2011, 09:18:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
Quote from: \"wabtec\" post=183073
Quote from: \"Standanista\" post=183064

4. SOD's a bloke whose track record indicates that he's along for the long run, come rough and smooth.  He was at Dean Court for 22 years.

[ul]
  [li]Give SOD the money he needs to make his system work.
[/li]
  [li]Lose any \"Arsenal of the North\" aspirations, accept that ultimately we are a \"Pub team, having a laugh\", and look more to Wimbledon's Crazy Gang era and ethos to keep our place in this league.
[/li]
  [li]Copy the West Brom model: don't overspend, stick to (SOD's) footballing principles, and accept the fact that we are going to yo-yo between this division and the one below.  I'd wager that even this though needs a few better players brought in.[/li]
[/ul]

1.would anyone give money to someone who paid 200,000 for spur and 100,000 for webster.
2.we are nt arsenal of the north now believe me
3.I can understand we could yoyo between divisions but not this bad and with some fight,I would nt trust sod to pick the players we dont need anymore midgets,it was like men against boys today they were just brushed aside.

Spurr has been a good signing for the money. Little to criticise him for, lots to praise him for.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on September 17, 2011, 09:19:06 pm by Nudga »
For me, we need a manager that is NOT afraid of losing. Basically taking the reigns off the players and having a bloody good go. If you set up your team to win EVERY match, you are more likely to come away with at least a point. S'OD seems hell bent on not losing, which obviously isn't fackin' working.
We need a positive approach to our football, f**k the performance. Let's get the points and the performances will follow. If that means playing ugly, then so be it. At least then we might start picking up some points and regaining confidence.
SO'D won't do this though because he sticks to his plan A, why is he so bloody obsessed with performance all of the time?
Someone mentioned Kevin Keegan earlier, well why not? He would definately have a good go at getting those precious points, plus he would put bums on seats making extra money available. He may even be able to persuade those sorts of players who are usually reluctant to come here to sign up.

Time to go SO'D

VikingJames

« Reply #96 on September 17, 2011, 09:26:32 pm by VikingJames »
I can handle losing, but I can't handle the manner in which we are losing. I didn't go to Reading or Cardiff, but from what I've seen this season, there hasn't been enough fighting spirit. The body language of the players isn't that of a team that is willing to run through brick walls for the cause and keep going until the last whistle. I'm not saying the players don't work hard, but their body language doesn't show it on the pitch. They take to the field as though we're not in the shit and as if everything is fine. When we go 1-0 down, we're effectively beaten, and nobody in the squad looks as if they want to take the game by the scruff of the neck and drag us through. Cast your minds back to Greeny at Huddersfield in the last promotion season. We were absolutely dire that day - 2-1 down and a man down, but he rolled his sleeves up, and almost single handedly got us a point with his constant effort, determination and endless running. He might not have been the most technically gifted player we've ever had, but you couldn't knock him on displays like that because you came away knowing he'd given 110% for the cause. How many of our players seem to do that nowadays?

MartinB

« Reply #97 on September 17, 2011, 09:26:32 pm by MartinB »
We have drew 1 and lost 6 of the seven of the league games this season, a couple of wins in a row and thing will look a whole lot better.  As for the SOD out brigade, I was part of that when he first joined the club...I was wrong. He is the best man for the job 100%, we have had terrible injuries to key players, the board IMO do need to back him. The loan STAR appeal was a load of crap that the man from the top JR wanted us to do, and we bring a 18 year old when were looking for an experienced proven striker to cover for Billy.

SOD needs to book his ideas up...constantly changing the line-up formation aint helping anine and he did need to find us a GK a decent CB and CF this summer, he did none of this.

But most of all the PLAYERS need to take the bame for results, Oster, Copps, Hayter and the rest. They get paid very well and are not performing.

SOD talks a lot of players taking responsibility, what we need to see now are players showing some commitment, courage & effort!

Time to step up to the plate SOD, JR & most of all the players.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on September 17, 2011, 09:32:40 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"MartinB\" post=183092
We have drew 1 and lost 6 of the seven of the league games this season, a couple of wins in a row and thing will look a whole lot better.  As for the SOD out brigade, I was part of that when he first joined the club...I was wrong. He is the best man for the job 100%, we have had terrible injuries to key players, the board IMO do need to back him. The loan STAR appeal was a load of crap that the man from the top JR wanted us to do, and we bring a 18 year old when were looking for an experienced proven striker to cover for Billy.

SOD needs to book his ideas up...constantly changing the line-up formation aint helping anine and he did need to find us a GK a decent CB and CF this summer, he did none of this.

But most of all the PLAYERS need to take the bame for results, Oster, Copps, Hayter and the rest. They get paid very well and are not performing.

SOD talks a lot of players taking responsibility, what we need to see now are players showing some commitment, courage & effort!

Time to step up to the plate SOD, JR & most of all the players.

When did we last win a couple of games in a row?
The only chance we have of winning at the moment is if we offer a bribe to our opponents.

His time has come. Penney didn't get as long. I'd actually rather have Penney in charge right now. At least we would see some fight and passion.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on September 17, 2011, 09:34:52 pm by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"Dare2Dream\" post=182830
Quote from: \"Curious Orange\" post=182821
Strongly disagree with this thread. We'll be okay if we can find some confidence and some luck. I don't think changing managers will guarantee that by any stretch.

Agree. The lack of stability on the pitch has cost us this year, all because of these injuries. And changing the manager would only add to our problems. Don't feel we've got the finances to sack him and replace him with someone of the adequate quality. I doubt we can attract the likes of Mark Robins at the moment.

Besides, if we do have several hundred thousand pounds I'd rather bring in a quality striker on loan, especially after noticing the likes of Bogdanovic, Earnshaw, Tyson & Cresswell all sat on the bench of their respective clubs, who might jump at the chance to play first team football and prove themselves in the Championship? (Maybe they're all unrealistic, but surely there's another 'David Healy' out there somewhere?)

Spot on! great post. I would replace the striker with a keeper though.

Getting Martin Woods back from injury I'm hopeful will also act like a new signing, the same obviously with Billy Sharp. And we know what Brian Stock can do after a run of games.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on September 17, 2011, 09:37:48 pm by Standanista »
Notwithstanding the above, I'd have Keegan (or Bremner) in on Monday in a flash, \"Commeth the hour\" and all that.

Anyway, something to cheer us all up.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on September 17, 2011, 09:45:01 pm by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"grayx\" post=182953
Quote from: \"colfromdonny\" post=182853
:chair: :chair: I suppose most posters on here would have sacked Alex Ferguson all those years ago,you have got to give people time, if we go down he will bring us back up, give him a 10 year contract now, football is a rollercoaster, we've had good times unfortunately it may be time for some bad but with a fullly fit  team out we would definately be top 10:chair: :chair:

WOW!!!!!!!
Are you for real?

Totally agree Grayx, continuity is the way for a club like ours, cannot think of any manager who could manage us long term. Sean is a very intelligent guy who is doing his best with what he has. Not a slurr on the board at all, just the way it is for a club our size, the good times had to come to an end sooner or later, we now have to deal with it.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on September 17, 2011, 09:46:25 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Lesonthewest\" post=183107
Quote from: \"grayx\" post=182953
Quote from: \"colfromdonny\" post=182853
:chair: :chair: I suppose most posters on here would have sacked Alex Ferguson all those years ago,you have got to give people time, if we go down he will bring us back up, give him a 10 year contract now, football is a rollercoaster, we've had good times unfortunately it may be time for some bad but with a fullly fit  team out we would definately be top 10:chair: :chair:

WOW!!!!!!!
Are you for real?

Totally agree Grayx, continuity is the way for a club like ours, cannot think of any manager who could manage us long term. Sean is a very intelligent guy who is doing his best with what he has. Not a slurr on the board at all, just the way it is for a club our size, the good times had to come to an end sooner or later, we now have to deal with it.

Talk about throwing in the towel. Back to the Conference. Deal with it.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on September 17, 2011, 09:59:08 pm by bedale rover »
Quote from: \"Curious Orange\" post=182821
Strongly disagree with this thread. We'll be okay if we can find some confidence and some luck. I don't think changing managers will guarantee that by any stretch.

i agree

keeping your nerve sends a better message than panicking and getting \"a up and at them\" blackwell type manager :scarf:

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on September 17, 2011, 10:15:04 pm by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=182888
Quote from: \"River Don\" post=182881
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=182879
Quote from: \"River Don\" post=182876
We are in a shocking run but he doesn't become a bad manager overnight. It's not so long ago we we're fighting to keep hold of him.

Loyalty is a 2 way street.

I hate all this short-termism in football. I'd stick with Sean even if he took us back to the fourth (2nd) division.

That's like saying \"my car is heading for a bend, but I won't turn the steering wheel until I go through the hedge and into the field\"!!

Is it? How?

Let me spell it out for you (though I can't believe you don't understand)

Saying that you'd stick with SOD even if he took Rovers down to league 2 is the same as realising your car is about to go through a wall but refusing to turn the steering wheel.

I can't put it any plainer. But your apparent refusal to understand does explain a lot about your views regarding SOD.

Totally agree Riverdon, we need to get behind the team & manager for the next few games, we also need to realise Sean's long term plan, if we do go down i'm sure he will take us back up stronger. It just seems to be the norm now to fire the manager when the going gets tough, utter garbage in my view. Happy clapper me? nah, just realistic of who & where we are.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on September 17, 2011, 10:19:11 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Lesonthewest\" post=183128
We are in a shocking run but he doesn't become a bad manager overnight. It's not so long ago we we're fighting to keep hold of him.

I hate all this short-termism in football. I'd stick with Sean even if he took us back to the fourth (2nd) division.

That's like saying \"my car is heading for a bend, but I won't turn the steering wheel until I go through the hedge and into the field\"!!

Is it? How?

Saying that you'd stick with SOD even if he took Rovers down to league 2 is the same as realising your car is about to go through a wall but refusing to turn the steering wheel.

I can't put it any plainer. But your apparent refusal to understand does explain a lot about your views regarding SOD.

Totally agree Riverdon, we need to get behind the team & manager for the next few games, we also need to realise Sean's long term plan, if we do go down i'm sure he will take us back up stronger. It just seems to be the norm now to fire the manager when the going gets tough, utter garbage in my view. Happy clapper me? nah, just realistic of who & where we are.

On what evidence do you back up your claim that he would take us back up stronger?? Have you any idea of what we will lose if we go down?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on September 17, 2011, 10:32:54 pm by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"River Don\" post=182893

Is it? How?

I understand alright.

Rovers are in the best position I have ever known. I understand we're playing progressive, modern football. All things considered I understand we're doing way better than we have any right to expect.

I understand we can't keep punching above our weight forever but I won't let the best manager we've had since... God knows when... Bremner? Just go.

Agreed, I also understand we are 7 games in, not 27! we need to stick together, we were never going to get anything today anyway. Reading could have been looking for their first win in 80 games & still beat us.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on September 17, 2011, 10:34:48 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Lesonthewest\" post=183138

Is it? How?

I understand alright.

Rovers are in the best position I have ever known. I understand we're playing progressive, modern football. All things considered I understand we're doing way better than we have any right to expect.

I understand we can't keep punching above our weight forever but I won't let the best manager we've had since... God knows when... Bremner? Just go.

Agreed, I also understand we are 7 games in, not 27! we need to stick together, we were never going to get anything today anyway. Reading could have been looking for their first win in 80 games & still beat us.

I've heard it all now. Why the f**k did we bother travelling anyway.

Yes we are 7 games in. Its also 7 months since we last won.

Wake up and smell the f**king coffee.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on September 17, 2011, 10:46:41 pm by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=183131
Quote from: \"Lesonthewest\" post=183128

Is it? How?

On what evidence do you back up your claim that he would take us back up stronger?? Have you any idea of what we will lose if we go down?

Because he has done it before, knows what it takes, & can do it again. He can also learn from his mistakes for our 4 years, yes 4 years in this league.  What we lose IF we go down doesn't interest me, that is down to John & the board.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on September 17, 2011, 10:51:09 pm by ditch_drfc »
MrFrost, here's an idea. Take the rest of Saturday off, all 10 minutes of it. Maybe take Sunday off too. Don't go patrolling the forums, just chill out. Relax. Maybe come Monday morning, you'll feel much better.

Not everybody agrees with you. And regardless of how much you argue, you can't change everybody's opinions. I wouldn't waste your time.

neil grainger

« Reply #110 on September 18, 2011, 12:06:53 am by neil grainger »
LesontheWest, River Don & Wallsend Jon .... Count me in guys.
I'm with you.
SOD does not become a bad manager overnight and he has produced the best football I've ever seen from a Rovers team - and that includes those amazing games that Dave Penney treated us to.

If I needed one more reason to stick with our manager in these desperately difficult times, I've got it. I just needed to read Benaldo's posts to convince me I'm in the right camp.

Come on you reds.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on September 18, 2011, 12:56:34 am by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=183140
Quote from: \"Lesonthewest\" post=183138

Is it? How?

I understand alright.

I've heard it all now. Why the f**k did we bother travelling anyway.

Yes we are 7 games in. Its also 7 months since we last won.

Wake up and smell the f**king coffee.

Yep 7 games in, last season? thats gone, as has the last seven matches, time to get behind the manager & the team. Right, just off for a sniff of f**king coffee.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on September 18, 2011, 01:03:11 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"neil grainger\" post=183158
LesontheWest, River Don & Wallsend Jon .... Count me in guys.
I'm with you.
SOD does not become a bad manager overnight and he has produced the best football I've ever seen from a Rovers team - and that includes those amazing games that Dave Penney treated us to.

If I needed one more reason to stick with our manager in these desperately difficult times, I've got it. I just needed to read Benaldo's posts to convince me I'm in the right camp.

Come on you reds.

Agreed. Its not about happy clapping, exactly the opposite, no one is happy about how things are, but I don't see it as the manager being the problem. I don't see that SOD has lost the dressing room. We will be relegated at some point, its about long term building for our club. How AMAZING that we've had four years in the Championship. I still think we can save this season with SOD.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012