Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:18:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: \"Arguably our biggest rivals!\"  (Read 3559 times)

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
\"Arguably our biggest rivals!\"
« on October 12, 2011, 11:23:33 am by inSODwetrust »
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10329~2478875,00.html

First paragraph in this article.

Now is it just me who doesn't see Leeds as big rivals and its just another game?

Rov'rum, Wendies, Dingles, Blunts and Scu*thorpe are bigger rivals surely!?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: \"Arguably our biggest rivals!\"
« Reply #1 on October 12, 2011, 11:28:29 am by DearneValleyRover »
It's strange but if you ask the fans of any of the clubs above they don't see us as rivals.

For me it's Scunthorpe and Don Valley Athletic with the Dingles just making it, the others would be just on the day as we haven't played them enough over our History.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 12, 2011, 11:29:44 am by Filo »
Whoever wrote that needs to check the calender after this pearler

Rovers battled to a 1-1 draw against Hull City in October

27th September when we played them! :laugh:

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 12, 2011, 11:41:17 am by roversontheup »
I actually think that 'rivals' change over time.  As I grew up and watched Rovers I would always have said our biggest rivals were Rotherham.  Later, Scunthorpe came into the mix. We didn't play against the Sheffield teams much so whilst they are local, they weren't really rivals. In more recent times we have played against both Sheffield teams, Barnsley and Leeds so we now consider them rivals. Who our biggest rivals are now is a matter of opinion. A win over which team means the most to me..............Sheff Wednesday!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 12, 2011, 11:49:28 am by MrFrost »
Strange isn't it.
I'll second that if you ask fans of Scunny, Dingles, Rotherham etc, none of them consider us to be rivals, but we consider them to be ours.
Rotherham will always say their rivals are the Sheffield clubs, and Scunny with Hull and Grimsby.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 12, 2011, 12:05:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Rotherham Utd are our biggest South yorks rivals, having played them 82 times.
Then it's Barnsley - 65
Scunny (Humberside) - 58
Sheff Utd - 26
Sheff Wed - 17

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 12, 2011, 12:07:50 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Try working in Leeds - Friday for me is massive!:woohoo:

Plus the virmin called Donny WHites make me want to vomit - so biggest rivals is the wrong word - But if you offered me anyone to beat in a one off game it would be this SCUM!

That enough for you :clapping: ???

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 12, 2011, 12:08:26 pm by Jimmydee »
At the moment L**ds are the latest local rivals that I want us to beat.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 12, 2011, 12:10:14 pm by keyser_soze »
I remember when Scarborough wanted to be out local rivals in the Conference, funny as owt.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 12, 2011, 12:17:29 pm by DRFC-PERKINS »
I can remember us beating them at their place on boxing day, 5-2. Was a great game, Rovers fans filled the away end and made a great noise throughout. I was 11 and went with my dad, one of my best Rovers memories.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 12, 2011, 12:31:45 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"DRFC-PERKINS\" post=190726
I can remember us beating them at their place on boxing day, 5-2. Was a great game, Rovers fans filled the away end and made a great noise throughout. I was 11 and went with my dad, one of my best Rovers memories.

Remember it getting quite heated with their fans as well with opposing fans attacking each other through a metal fence, and Paul Barnes having bottles thrown at him. I think the ref very nearly called the game off if I remember correctly.

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 12, 2011, 12:42:00 pm by stockyboy »
For me personally, I see Barnsley, Scunthorpe, Rotherham and Blades as our main rivals, with Wendies just being at end of the list.

But if you ask fans of all Yorkshire clubs, we'd only agree with Barnsley, Scunthorpe and Rotherham.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 12, 2011, 12:50:59 pm by hoolahoop »
Rovrum, SKitsons and perhaps Dingles for me in the past. Nowadays there are only 3 teams that I'm bothered about beating and they are Weeds, Wendies and Dingles.....times and fortunes change.
I want to beat these feckers so much on Friday that it hurts.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 12, 2011, 12:58:06 pm by andysly »
I agree with a previous poster who said that our rivals have changed over time.
Back in the 70's Barnsley were our regular big \"derby\" fixture, but they left us behind as the went upwards. This seemed to make Rotherham our nearest and dearest, but again they had their days in the sun. Scunthorpe is close enough but personally I've never seen this as a big game in that sense. Blades, Wednesday and now Leeds have appeared on the radar as our fortunes have changed and are now seen as rivals. The real big rivalries are based on either being in the same city or fighting for the big prizes year in year out, so even a Man Utd - Arsenal fixture takes on almost a derby day excitement.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 12, 2011, 02:57:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=190720
Try working in Leeds - Friday for me is massive!:woohoo:

Plus the virmin called Donny WHites make me want to vomit - so biggest rivals is the wrong word - But if you offered me anyone to beat in a one off game it would be this SCUM!

That enough for you :clapping: ???

I work there aswell, if we're a town full of Leeds fans then they're a town full of Mancs and scousers....  Finding a Leeds fan in our office is like finding a straight man in Brighton....

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 12, 2011, 03:37:14 pm by FuzzyDuck »
With a missus who is a Leeds fan, do you have any idea how much trolling will occur should we lose:thumbdown: ?  And that's about half as much as will occur should we win:thumbsup: !

At the moment the main rivals for me are Weeds, Dingles and Florests as they are who we play at the mo.  Scunny and Rotherham...history at the mo.  And I can't see them climbing the leagues to join us:P

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 12, 2011, 03:53:39 pm by RedJ »
If we do win, I'm looking forward to Blakey's excuses.

coppsisgod

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 12, 2011, 04:27:40 pm by coppsisgod »
When I first started going in the mid to late nineties I'd have definitely said Rotherham. They beat us 3-0 at Millmoor on my birthday one year and I was devastated. Nowadays though I'd say Leeds and Wednesday. The Leeds game is the closest I feel we have to the teams who have two teams in one city in as much as we have to face each other at work the following day etc. It's a sorry state of affairs that Donny is so full of Leeds scum that this is the case but sadly it is. I'm sure if we played Rotherham again in a competitive game it would all come flooding back though.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 12, 2011, 05:14:57 pm by Berkshire Rover »
I always used to enjoy going to Lincoln, Mansfield, Halifax and York.

Times change, I think waste too much energy on the weeds as much as I dislike them,

I don't care about Rovrum,

I don't care about Weeds,

AllI care about is DRFC!
:rtid:

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 12, 2011, 05:37:15 pm by Superspy »
I'm another who works in Leeds, and there are a couple of Leeds fans in my office, so this friday is probably the biggest home game for me.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 12, 2011, 06:06:06 pm by idler »
I work in Leeds and will be buying programmes for some of them who won't be going.
Any way to make a profit.:)
To be honest though most Leeds fans I meet are ok and none of them can make a dig
that I haven't heard before. Most at work also agreed that they were fortunate to
beat us in the Carling Cup. They aren't all monsters.:scarf:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 12, 2011, 06:49:42 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"idler\" post=190832
I work in Leeds and will be buying programmes for some of them who won't be going.
Any way to make a profit.:)
To be honest though most Leeds fans I meet are ok and none of them can make a dig
that I haven't heard before. Most at work also agreed that they were fortunate to
beat us in the Carling Cup. They aren't all monsters.:scarf:

Decent lads most I know in Leeds just the w**kers round here !

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 12, 2011, 07:36:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
2 new starters in our office, in Donny, and both claim to be L**ds fans. I would have checked their application form more thoroughly.

Agree there are historical rivals, local rivals and opponents. There are clubs closer to us and those who we've surpassed along the way.

Leeds are just opponents who stand in the way of 3 points and I wish the club would stop building them up to be something special. However, if it sells tickets, then so be it.

Most Leeds fans I know are just the same as us and have the same concerns. It's just them I don't know who seem to have a problem, especially a group of gobshites from Wakefield who tried to intimidate us in to a fight on Wembley High Street only to end up fighting amongst themselves !!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 12, 2011, 07:46:22 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=190859
2 new starters in our office, in Donny, and both claim to be L**ds fans. I would have checked their application form more thoroughly.

Agree there are historical rivals, local rivals and opponents. There are clubs closer to us and those who we've surpassed along the way.

Leeds are just opponents who stand in the way of 3 points and I wish the club would stop building them up to be something special. However, if it sells tickets, then so be it.

Most Leeds fans I know are just the same as us and have the same concerns. It's just them I don't know who seem to have a problem, especially a group of gobshites from Wakefield who tried to intimidate us in to a fight on Wembley High Street only to end up fighting amongst themselves !!

You always get gobshites DBR and funnily if ignored or faced upto they usually back off or start arguing amongst themselves.........we have them too unfortunately.
However if gobshiteing is where it ends and not knives etc. I can live with that.
Btw the Dull have more than their share of young chavy gobshites, far worse than I've ever encountered with the Weeds.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012