Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:56:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Q & A session with JR yesterday...  (Read 6909 times)

Gartom

• Forum Member
Q & A session with JR yesterday...
« on October 30, 2011, 03:53:26 pm by Gartom »
Hi all,
I've bided my time to get the chance to sit down with JR, go thru' all the questions folk have been asking of late on the forum....and see what he has to say, face to face.
I should say that the first part of the meeting was JR's insistance that, given our finances, the £4m loss we are looking at, and the reticence to keep bailing out the club, JR was desperate - read PASSIONATE - about keeping Rovers in the Championship - and looking for a new financial model to keep us here.
The lack of results and the appointment of Dean is well documented too,so we concentrated on the questions being raised on the forum following this.

Take a good luck at the Q&A sesion and let's have some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback...JR is upbeat about what we are doing, he knows it might fail, but he is looking to use Willie to bolster our somewhat parlous position, maximise Willie's contacts and try and ensure we survive in this division, and kick on from there.

VSC / JR Q&A session
Is it true that the club is seeking to reduce its wage bill to £4m as reported in the Daily Mail?
Yes it’s true – but it’s a long term objective – not an immediate cost cutting exercise. We cannot continue to subsidise the costs of DRFC – we are losing £4m this year and it can’t go on.....but we won’t sacrifice ourselves just like that – we want to stay in the Championship, so we have to plan this carefully...

Just how true is it that WM has exclusive rights over all transfers in and out for the next 2 years?
It’s not true. Dean and I will look at targets and see who we can bring in. Willie has a fantastic contact list, so obviously we will use his assets as we can, but there is no ‘exclusive rights’......that’s just poor reporting by journalists...

If this is true how do the existing players feel about that?
They are not kept in the dark. We were in a tough position – we still are. They know we need to change things. They like Dean, they respond to him and they ‘know the score’. They are in good spirits, and are focussing on the job in hand.

If this is true what are the benefits to DRFC of such an exclusive arrangement.
The benefit is Willie and his great connections, coupled with Dean’s connections too. It’s not exclusive, but I think their contacts can really solve our problems.

How will this scheme work in practice? I.e. will the manager identify needs either in terms of specific players or positions that he would like filled or will he be presented with a range of players that he is expected to take irrespective of who that player may replace in the team.
It’s down to Dean to pick the team. Simple as that. He’s been offered a few players, he’s looked at them – it’s not mandatory he goes with them....he’s  said 'no' to 4 already. It’s a learning curve for all of us....let’s see how it goes.

Can you confirm that the manager is completely free to choose his own team?
Yes he is. That’s why he’s here – he knows his own mind, wants to sort out our team and keep us in the Championship,

Will the arrangements with the parent clubs include guarantees that their players will play irrespective of any other considerations?
There are no guarantees really – if they are good enough, and fit into our plans, they will play.

How many of the short term signings / loan players are you prepared to see in the team at any one time?
I can’t really answer that – there are regulations, but it’s about getting the right players in....

Have the existing players been fully briefed on this plan? and if so, do they support it?
Yes they are fully briefed, they understand – and they are fighting for their places!

What safeguards are in place that would allow the club to break the contract before the two years is up if things are obviously not working.
Well, if it’s not working I think Willie will walk away anyway! Right now it’s about being positive and making things work. And if it got that bad, which it won’t I believe....Willie’s £100/week is not a big obstacle. He is nt even invoicing us for it – he says he wants this model to work, show the formula is a winning one, and we believe it will work.

How do you react to comments attributed to WM in the Daily Mail where he is alleged to say the club has no value and no fans?
Again it’s a poor representation of what Willie said. He said we had a poor fan base, we were losing money and we needed a solution to these problems. Let’s face it we have trouble filling the stadium, the fans don’t turn up every week to fill the stadium and we are losing money.....so the bare facts are disturbing, and we needed a new financial model to help us survive – even prosper with this new approach.

What are you planning on doing with the stadium, and the VSC – and, can we have a ‘golden share’ as a sign of good faith?
We won’t be looking to purchase the stadium – we are looking for a long term lease, and to really take control of the stadium affairs  -  as we think we can do a much better job than the SMC. Just look at the losses the SMC had and continue to have – and it’s easy to see we can do a far better job without their poor management.

How do you feel about Willie McKay bringing this arrangement into the public arena, re:
a)   effect on the reputation of the club,
b)   likelihood of securing players in the future on \"traditional\" deals
......if they think they will be pushed out by some foreign big name on loan, etc.
Willie is a character – we all can say that – and he likes to publicise his activities. The press want to vilify what he does, but he is an agent – and a damn good one. He can help us. He can make this work. He has great contacts, and now, little ole Donny – has an agreement with St Etienne – a Champions League club!!. It’s not a bad start is it? Folk will moan and groan, says it’s not right, but neither are the actions of some clubs going into liquidation owing thousands to local suppliers – or even to the taxman. We are playing it straight, trying to survive and then build, and Willie can make it happen. We have not had such an ambition or such a contact opportunity like this, so we will try our damndest to make it work. Let’s face it we could not and would not go on in the current vein, so it’s a test for all of us. I just hope and pray the fans will get behind us, and not quickly react to damn us for trying to survive, trying to rebuild the club, and trying to move us forward. It won’t just be about short term deals either we will continue to look to bring players in through the ‘traditional’ route.

Do you think the club could have done more to get the fans \"on-side\"? Better media management etc....
I think we are damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I’ve put millions into the club – I’m a fan first then a businessman -otherwise I would have walked away tears ago. I brought Terry and Dick into the club to help us move on, but now that Terry has pulled the plug on any more investment, we had to do something – the losses were not sustainable, yet I was – and I am desperate – no its better to say passionate – to keep us in the Championship and move us on. It was a roller coaster situation and really hard to control – but let’s just see how it goes. I’ve gone on Radio and in the press to tell folk how it is. Just don’t believe all you see in the Daily Mail.
I’ve done a press release for the Mirror which will hopefully answer a lot. The Mail would not even grant me a right to reply....which says a lot about their reports eh?

Have the board got any kind of long-term strategy beyond staying in this division for the next two years?
Yes, but let’s get this season sorted first! We can talk about this later – I’m always willing to talk to the VSC, but time is short today.

We need to sort out the ticket prices sooner – so we can engage Donny fans.....at the moment it’s too complicated / too pricey? How can we help, get input much earlier.....be your critical friend!
I believe your input is invaluable – you are right about this and I want to involve you re next seasons pricing. In fact, why not get it started so Dick and I can see your model, your pricing ideas – let’s give it a go....Just remember when we did some low price ticketing incentives we really lost money – the fans did n’t fill the stadium, so it’s not just a simple ‘cut the price’ solution - and its solved. We made some big losses there. Let’s talk later on.

Can we address the situation with whoever is leaking confidential info from within the club to the press.......
Maybe the Chief Exec should issue a memo to all staff that what they are doing constitutes gross misconduct. Then again would he even think of this? Probably not....Remember....the VSC keep things confidential, why can`t the club employees do the same?
I’m going to look into this. Let’s see.

How do you react to all the fans criticism of Dave Morris...really not Chief Exec material? A liability, rather than an asset...
I can comment on this. Maybe it’s got personal.
The VSC have an open invite to contact me – so let’s use this channel as much as is necessary. You have my phone numbers, you can call me anytime.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Q & A session with JR yesterday...
« Reply #1 on October 30, 2011, 04:04:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
\"Terry has pulled the plug on any more investment\"

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 30, 2011, 04:05:00 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Gartom\" post=195420
Hi all,
I've bided my time to get the chance to sit down with JR, go thru' all the questions folk have been asking of late on the forum....and see what he has to say, face to face.
I should say that the first part of the meeting was JR's insistance that, given our finances, the £4m loss we are looking at, and the reticence to keep bailing out the club, JR was desperate - read PASSIONATE - about keeping Rovers in the Championship - and looking for a new financial model to keep us here.
The lack of results and the appointment of Dean is well documented too,so we concentrated on the questions being raised on the forum following this.

Take a good luck at the Q&A sesion and let's have some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback...JR is upbeat about what we are doing, he knows it might fail, but he is looking to use Willie to bolster our somewhat parlous position, maximise Willie's contacts and try and ensure we survive in this division, and kick on from there.

VSC / JR Q&A session
Is it true that the club is seeking to reduce its wage bill to £4m as reported in the Daily Mail?
Yes it’s true – but it’s a long term objective – not an immediate cost cutting exercise. We cannot continue to subsidise the costs of DRFC – we are losing £4m this year and it can’t go on.....but we won’t sacrifice ourselves just like that – we want to stay in the Championship, so we have to plan this carefully...

Just how true is it that WM has exclusive rights over all transfers in and out for the next 2 years?
It’s not true. Dean and I will look at targets and see who we can bring in. Willie has a fantastic contact list, so obviously we will use his assets as we can, but there is no ‘exclusive rights’......that’s just poor reporting by journalists...

If this is true how do the existing players feel about that?
They are not kept in the dark. We were in a tough position – we still are. They know we need to change things. They like Dean, they respond to him and they ‘know the score’. They are in good spirits, and are focussing on the job in hand.

If this is true what are the benefits to DRFC of such an exclusive arrangement.
The benefit is Willie and his great connections, coupled with Dean’s connections too. It’s not exclusive, but I think their contacts can really solve our problems.

How will this scheme work in practice? I.e. will the manager identify needs either in terms of specific players or positions that he would like filled or will he be presented with a range of players that he is expected to take irrespective of who that player may replace in the team.
It’s down to Dean to pick the team. Simple as that. He’s been offered a few players, he’s looked at them – it’s not mandatory he goes with them....he’s  said 'no' to 4 already. It’s a learning curve for all of us....let’s see how it goes.

Can you confirm that the manager is completely free to choose his own team?
Yes he is. That’s why he’s here – he knows his own mind, wants to sort out our team and keep us in the Championship,

Will the arrangements with the parent clubs include guarantees that their players will play irrespective of any other considerations?
There are no guarantees really – if they are good enough, and fit into our plans, they will play.

How many of the short term signings / loan players are you prepared to see in the team at any one time?
I can’t really answer that – there are regulations, but it’s about getting the right players in....

Have the existing players been fully briefed on this plan? and if so, do they support it?
Yes they are fully briefed, they understand – and they are fighting for their places!

What safeguards are in place that would allow the club to break the contract before the two years is up if things are obviously not working.
Well, if it’s not working I think Willie will walk away anyway! Right now it’s about being positive and making things work. And if it got that bad, which it won’t I believe....Willie’s £100/week is not a big obstacle. He is nt even invoicing us for it – he says he wants this model to work, show the formula is a winning one, and we believe it will work.

How do you react to comments attributed to WM in the Daily Mail where he is alleged to say the club has no value and no fans?
Again it’s a poor representation of what Willie said. He said we had a poor fan base, we were losing money and we needed a solution to these problems. Let’s face it we have trouble filling the stadium, the fans don’t turn up every week to fill the stadium and we are losing money.....so the bare facts are disturbing, and we needed a new financial model to help us survive – even prosper with this new approach.

What are you planning on doing with the stadium, and the VSC – and, can we have a ‘golden share’ as a sign of good faith?
We won’t be looking to purchase the stadium – we are looking for a long term lease, and to really take control of the stadium affairs  -  as we think we can do a much better job than the SMC. Just look at the losses the SMC had and continue to have – and it’s easy to see we can do a far better job without their poor management.

How do you feel about Willie McKay bringing this arrangement into the public arena, re:
a)   effect on the reputation of the club,
b)   likelihood of securing players in the future on \"traditional\" deals
......if they think they will be pushed out by some foreign big name on loan, etc.
Willie is a character – we all can say that – and he likes to publicise his activities. The press want to vilify what he does, but he is an agent – and a damn good one. He can help us. He can make this work. He has great contacts, and now, little ole Donny – has an agreement with St Etienne – a Champions League club!!. It’s not a bad start is it? Folk will moan and groan, says it’s not right, but neither are the actions of some clubs going into liquidation owing thousands to local suppliers – or even to the taxman. We are playing it straight, trying to survive and then build, and Willie can make it happen. We have not had such an ambition or such a contact opportunity like this, so we will try our damndest to make it work. Let’s face it we could not and would not go on in the current vein, so it’s a test for all of us. I just hope and pray the fans will get behind us, and not quickly react to damn us for trying to survive, trying to rebuild the club, and trying to move us forward. It won’t just be about short term deals either we will continue to look to bring players in through the ‘traditional’ route.

Do you think the club could have done more to get the fans \"on-side\"? Better media management etc....
I think we are damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I’ve put millions into the club – I’m a fan first then a businessman -otherwise I would have walked away tears ago. I brought Terry and Dick into the club to help us move on, but now that Terry has pulled the plug on any more investment, we had to do something – the losses were not sustainable, yet I was – and I am desperate – no its better to say passionate – to keep us in the Championship and move us on. It was a roller coaster situation and really hard to control – but let’s just see how it goes. I’ve gone on Radio and in the press to tell folk how it is. Just don’t believe all you see in the Daily Mail.
I’ve done a press release for the Mirror which will hopefully answer a lot. The Mail would not even grant me a right to reply....which says a lot about their reports eh?

Have the board got any kind of long-term strategy beyond staying in this division for the next two years?
Yes, but let’s get this season sorted first! We can talk about this later – I’m always willing to talk to the VSC, but time is short today.

We need to sort out the ticket prices sooner – so we can engage Donny fans.....at the moment it’s too complicated / too pricey? How can we help, get input much earlier.....be your critical friend!
I believe your input is invaluable – you are right about this and I want to involve you re next seasons pricing. In fact, why not get it started so Dick and I can see your model, your pricing ideas – let’s give it a go....Just remember when we did some low price ticketing incentives we really lost money – the fans did n’t fill the stadium, so it’s not just a simple ‘cut the price’ solution - and its solved. We made some big losses there. Let’s talk later on.

Can we address the situation with whoever is leaking confidential info from within the club to the press.......
Maybe the Chief Exec should issue a memo to all staff that what they are doing constitutes gross misconduct. Then again would he even think of this? Probably not....Remember....the VSC keep things confidential, why can`t the club employees do the same?
I’m going to look into this. Let’s see.

How do you react to all the fans criticism of Dave Morris...really not Chief Exec material? A liability, rather than an asset...
I can comment on this. Maybe it’s got personal.
The VSC have an open invite to contact me – so let’s use this channel as much as is necessary. You have my phone numbers, you can call me anytime.

So thats maybe the bad news that Brammall no longer - has he actually stepped down? So is there any new additions to the board?

Gartom

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 30, 2011, 04:07:17 pm by Gartom »
JR is actively looking for another to step in....we may know more in next few weeks. Terry just decided enough was enough....felt the Donny public were nt supporting the Rovers Directors. He has not sold his shares or anything, just closed his wallet...but JR working on him !

askernred

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 30, 2011, 04:14:03 pm by askernred »
Thanks Gareth, keep up the good work and effort to work with rather than against the club. Some intersting answers but i shall leave it for the hard to please brigade to moan/complain/re-word (delete as required) to continue to upset the applecart. I have some info/ideas i picked up from some friends recently but i shall forward these via e mail. Can you please PM me your new e mail address as i deleted your e mail you sent recently before saving it!!

Regards

Askernred

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 30, 2011, 04:19:25 pm by Mr1Croft »
Some good answers from JR there, however I feel slightly that they were exactly what the fans wanted to hear from those sort of questions. Some fans obviously don't feel they can trust JR's word anymore so how well this goes down I have no idea.

I personally still feel he has placed too much power in the hands of someone who represents the corruption that has made Football the money game it is today.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 30, 2011, 04:19:56 pm by GazLaz »
Quote from: \"Gartom\" post=195424
JR is actively looking for another to step in....we may know more in next few weeks. Terry just decided enough was enough....felt the Donny public were nt supporting the Rovers Directors. He has not sold his shares or anything, just closed his wallet...but JR working on him !

Did TB join the board expecting not to lose money? If he did then he is deluded.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 30, 2011, 04:21:12 pm by danumdon »
Bit concerning that JR states that we will not be buying the KMS, only looking for a lease deal,

The implications of this are major to the future sustainability and development of the club.With T Bramall not prepared to contribute any more how can we attract any serious money into the club without the stadium freehold as equity?

Its good to hear JR state his desire is as strong as ever but this financial situation will be forever in the background of anything we hope to achieve, i know he stated trying a different business model but it all points to us going backwards first before hopefully going forward in the future.

I would like to think a root and branch review of our marketing and sales strategy forms a major part of the new approach because the current model fails us not just on the pitch and in player deals but also massively in supporter development,

VikingJames

« Reply #8 on October 30, 2011, 04:24:58 pm by VikingJames »
Thanks Gareth.

As I said yesterday, I fully support JR and the tough decisions he's had to make. We couldn't go on being completely reliant on the directors so something had to change. He hasn't got a bottomless pit of money, and it just isn't wise to keep running up a multi-million pound deficit and expecting the directors to make up the difference every year.

Maybe we'll see some of the saved money go into the youth system. From a financial perspective, we really need to start producing some of our own players.

Gartom

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 30, 2011, 04:28:36 pm by Gartom »
We will have some good news soon about 'fan engagement'....Martin..aka 'Silent Majority' has been working his socks off to wake up DRFC to the need re looking after fans and potential fans. I dont have all the details as 'SM' and I need to catch up...but rest assured its another area where the VSC are focussing effort to help grow the Rovers brand....

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 30, 2011, 04:35:13 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Gartom\" post=195420

We won’t be looking to purchase the stadium

Exactly the opposite of what was said by the very same John Ryan at the VSC meeting a couple of months back. Whats changed?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 30, 2011, 04:36:41 pm by danumdon »
Quote from: \"Gartom\" post=195433
We will have some good news soon about 'fan engagement'....Martin..aka 'Silent Majority' has been working his socks off to wake up DRFC to the need re looking after fans and potential fans. I dont have all the details as 'SM' and I need to catch up...but rest assured its another area where the VSC are focussing effort to help grow the Rovers brand....

That's good to hear Gareth, its an issue which is key in everything the club attempts to achieve, failure in this aspect has major knock on effects in every facet of the clubs business.

I just hope that the club will buy into the aspirations of people who know what they are taking about and have the well being of the club as their first priority. Only time will tell but here's hoping,

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 30, 2011, 04:50:17 pm by Jonathan »
Okay, tin hat time for me, but it doesn't really tell us a great deal, does it?

I understand that we cannot sustain losses in the region of £4million p/a and appreciate the position of JR and the directors in needing to subsidise this. Did they carry out any kind of options appraisal on how to work through this or was the current model proposed, signed, sealed and delivered in the 24 hours inbetween JR publicly endorsing the previous outlook before changing it completely?

So Willie McKay does not have exclusive control over transfers then. As an employee of the club (and is there any clarification of the necessity behind including him on the uninvoiced payroll?) has JR spoken to WM about the content of his interview granted to the Daily Mail, and the way in which his comments quite clearly left it open to misrepresent the situation to concerned fans?

The point about whether the contract can be broken if it's not working for us (and that's surely the primary concern for us as supporters) is not remotely clarified. Willie will probably walk away if it's not working for him, but there is scope for him to benefit from the shop window while we lose out, depending just how much influence he has. On that note, I would be interested to know who else (if anyone) within the club stands to benefit financially from the potential success of these short term deals? Is the manager financially incentivsed on that basis? Can we state unequivocally that he is not?

Are there \"no gurantees\" over parent clubs enforcing the right of their players to play, or are there \"no guarantees really.\" (as per the wording from JR).

I don't honestly feel any clearer about what we are doing and I sense the club are very much in a 'suck it and see' position. Nobody seems to be able to quantify any potential benefits at this stage, we seem to me like we are allowing ourselves to be a guinea pig for an agent's own initiative. If it works then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong to have doubts but right now I can only say that I don't trust it or like it. I remain to be convinced that bringing misfits from St. Etienne is a model of success in a division like the one we're in. If it works, fair play though.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 30, 2011, 04:52:17 pm by FuzzyDuck »
First of all, it's massively clear that the whole thing could have been better communicated.  Now (1 month later) its clear that:

- SOD was dismissed due to his lack of confidence in maintaining Championship football at the KM and his reluctance to accept the McKay solution.  In other words SOD had been given the problem and a possible solution.  He had no solution to the problem himself and would not accept a solution on offer.  So, he goes.

JR is obviously trying to make the solution appear as innocent as possible.  If its so innocent, why didn't SOD accept it?

- TB closing his wallet has obviously put the club into the situation in which it finds itself.   Why has this been so slow to come out. (rumoured for months but not clarified until now)

- Does JR take any responsibility for misrepresentation in the press.   After all, after his interview with Radio Sheffield, we're a town full of Leeds fans according to the BBC!

If the club had been transparent with a carefully worded statement on the OS, this could have been used to control the whole story (SOD departure and McKay arrangement).  Damned if you do, damned if you don't is a pretty pathetic excuse for not managing the media correctly.   When will JR realize the virtues of transparency?

I think a long term lease of the KM is the best we can hope for with the money available (or more accurately, the money made available - NOT a criticism).  That's positive

It's positive that the management of the club has looked to the fans for input on pricing.  But I agree.  The whole marketing and commercial activities of the club needs looking at and analyzing professionally.  We are doing lots wrong and not doing lots more.  Just bleating that there are lots of Leeds fans in Donny solves nothing.   We need bright ideas and a will to make them work.

I remain unconvinced about the McKay deal.   But we'll wait and see.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 30, 2011, 04:52:40 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Gartom\" post=195433

did you get my PM Gartom?

not sure it's the best idea, but it's an idea

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 30, 2011, 04:53:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

That's the best piece of long overdue news for a long time however, you can sense the fear in JR as he could not resist using the cut price games as an example. We are not stupid and those prices were never intended as a model for the future.

Even if we fill the stadium it wouldn't make up the £4 million shortfall but it has to be in everyone's interests to reduce the size of the shortfall. It's time to get back to basics and understand what motivates/de-motivates people to buy tickets.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 30, 2011, 05:08:22 pm by albie »
Best guess (and it could be wrong), is that Brammall saw his input as part of a wider business objective, such as buying the stadium site and surrounds, then looking to develop.

If that is a non-runner, then as he is not a die hard Rovers fan, no sense in pouring in more cash from his point of view. Question is, does he want his loans repaid, and what happens to his shareholding? Maybe JR is looking for a new name to buy out TB?

The best thing DRFC could do IMO is draw up a 5 year business plan, consult with interested parties (including VSC) before committing, and then make sure that all supporting strategies contribute to the long stop outcomes. Part of the problem is that without that a club (or any business) can lack overall direction, and just lurch from one quick fix to the next.

Where do DRFC intend to be by 2016, what is realistic on our income projections, and how do we grow the brand if we are not chasing promotion?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 30, 2011, 06:29:31 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Thanks for that Gareth, great questions and as far as I see it consitency reigns. Thanks to JR for answering so clearly too.

I don't see any power in the hands of WM - its a gift if anything! The lease of the stadium could be fairly long, so don't see that as a problem either.

That the club is looking at the issue of fanbase development is key and great to hear. I think that JR sounds like he's re-examining a lot of the way the club has been operating and is wanting to take it to another level. His motivation is in getting us to be a solid championship club and we can do that but it will take a number of years of hard effort.

I think its great fans have concerns and voice them, but there seems to be an attitude of a lot on here to look for problems where there is no evidence. The biggest example is the paranoia around WM, and then the 4mill wage cutting. Anyone can build up conspiracy theories, be enquiring but stick to the facts people :)

The proof of this adventurous pudding will be in the eating, and that can only be judged come the end of the season.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 30, 2011, 06:42:22 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=195442
That's the best piece of long overdue news for a long time however, you can sense the fear in JR as he could not resist using the cut price games as an example. We are not stupid and those prices were never intended as a model for the future.

Even if we fill the stadium it wouldn't make up the £4 million shortfall but it has to be in everyone's interests to reduce the size of the shortfall. It's time to get back to basics and understand what motivates/de-motivates people to buy tickets.

Good point about the what motivates people.

I read it as JR was saying that when tickets are reduced, the increase in attendance (not immediate revenue) resultimg from that doesn't make business sense. He then went on to say, backed up by what Gareth says above, that he is wanting to get the ticket pricing sorted properly for next season.

I hope the review includes looking at how offers and promotions fit into that as well as the wider issue of promoting the DRFC brand in Donny.

And I hope JR can also take on the issue of being positive rather than negative about support from the people of Donny. Praise for those that DO attend, raising the concept of \"Pride in your local team\", \"Pride in our town, pride in our team\", see it as THE flagship business of the town etc etc.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 30, 2011, 08:48:25 pm by Pintolager »
I really do think that instead of just letting this thread disappear down the pages, it should be pinned so that we can refer back to it so that points don't need to be argued over and over.

I do get the feeling from JR's answers about what the future holds when WM walks away, that he is holding something back and as TWD states, what has changed from August when JR said that the Keepmoat would be in DRFC's hands? No problem with the lease, but not everything seems to be in the open!

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 30, 2011, 09:38:54 pm by DonnyRTID »
Quote from: \"Pintolager\"
as TWD states, what has changed from August when JR said that the Keepmoat would be in DRFC's hands? No problem with the lease, but not everything seems to be in the open![/quote

I would think it has to do with TB not willing to invest anymore of his cash.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 30, 2011, 09:41:37 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Quote from: \"DonnyRTID\" post=195480
Quote from: \"Pintolager\"
as TWD states, what has changed from August when JR said that the Keepmoat would be in DRFC's hands? No problem with the lease, but not everything seems to be in the open![/quote

I would think it has to do with TB not willing to invest anymore of his cash.

the Council no longer willing to sell....

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 30, 2011, 09:44:55 pm by Pintolager »
Fair points, but it would be nice to have some clarity.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 30, 2011, 10:16:43 pm by Berkshire Rover »
We know that TB had stopped putting money in before JR said he wanted to own the stadium, the initial plan was to purchase, but a long tem lease (99 years) is likely to be better for us as supporters, we get what we want, our own stadium, no other property developments to worry about, and it would be very unlikely that the tenant could do anything other than operate the stadium as just that.

The council are the ones dragging their heels.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 30, 2011, 10:24:20 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Quote from: \"Berkshire Rover\" post=195490
We know that TB had stopped putting money in before JR said he wanted to own the stadium, the initial plan was to purchase, but a long tem lease (99 years) is likely to be better for us as supporters, we get what we want, our own stadium, no other property developments to worry about, and it would be very unlikely that the tenant could do anything other than operate the stadium as just that.

The council are the ones dragging their heels.

As long as there is a clause similar to the one on Belle Vue,
  that the place can only be used as a sports facility
unless the council provide somewhere else,
 I don't remember the full wording but it was something along that sort of lines ;)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 30, 2011, 10:34:18 pm by mushRTID »
So has Bramall left the club completely/sold his shares or just cant be arsed to contribute anymore?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 30, 2011, 11:02:06 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=195498
So has Bramall left the club completely/sold his shares or just cant be arsed to contribute anymore?

He hasn't sold his shares just refusing to put anymore money in.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 31, 2011, 12:35:29 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
And I hope JR can also take on the issue of being positive rather than negative about support from the people of Donny. Praise for those that DO attend, raising the concept of \"Pride in your local team\", \"Pride in our town, pride in our team\", see it as THE flagship business of the town etc etc.

Absolutely bang on.

\"Thanks to the fans that didn't desert us....\"

\"We have a championship status to be proud of, and we're proud of our fans who follow us though thick and thin\"

\"Despite the following of other Yorkshire clubs we have doubled our fan base and we're still building\"

\"Donny is the place to be for families, providing value for money entertainment\"

\"We value EVERYONE who follows the Rovers\"

\"The crowd was over 8000 and what a noise they made\"

Like you said, ALWAYS state the positives. Make people feel appreciated.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 31, 2011, 07:57:54 am by RobTheRover »
To answer the \"whats changed with the stadium purchase\" question, I think the answer is the council's position.  When JR was talking about a purchase, Mayor Davies and he had spoken and that option was preferred by both.  Since then, Davies' advisors have told him not to sell, so a 125 year lease is the best option. In truth, it makes not a jot of difference to how the club would use the facility.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 31, 2011, 08:20:45 am by The Red Baron »
Just don’t believe all you see in the Daily Mail.

Re: the Daily Mail, right of reply etc. Newspapers won't give you a right of reply unless they think that otherwise you will (a) sue them and (b) win.

However, JR should remember that he has other media tools at his disposal- DROS, the official programme and the local press. I know he has spoken a lot to Radio Sheffield over the last few weeks but it would have been nice to see a rebuttal of some of the inaccuracies in the Mail article on DROS.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012