Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:26:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why we lost last night  (Read 7816 times)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: Why we lost last night
« Reply #30 on November 03, 2011, 11:04:10 am by The L J Monk »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=196585
but ask yourself this - If SOD were still here and the new players were not, do you think we'd even have 7 points? If the answer is no, then Saunders is the way forward. For me it's a no-brainer.

What if the answer is yes?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 03, 2011, 11:11:34 am by benaldo »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=196587
but ask yourself this - If SOD were still here and the new players were not, do you think we'd even have 7 points? If the answer is no, then Saunders is the way forward. For me it's a no-brainer.

Then it's your choice of course. But if it is yes, then supporting Rovers must be very difficult for you right now....it needn't be.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 03, 2011, 11:12:18 am by roversam »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=196587

Last time i looked at the table we had 9 points.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 03, 2011, 11:12:57 am by Mr1Croft »
I know what you're saying crofty, no-one likes losing do they. But SOD hadn't won a game since March......despite being offered better players in the summer (according to JR). Something had got lost in the process for SOD, god knows what it was, but ask yourself this - If SOD were still here and the new players were not, do you think we'd even have 7 points? If the answer is no, then Saunders is the way forward. For me it's a no-brainer.

Well in all fairness Benny I honestly think that SOD been here and we still had Parkin (he signed on loan before the Palace game) we would not have played as horrible as we did against Palace, and I could probably have seen us scoring double figures if we won 1-0 and played the worst first half I have ever seen. But thats my honest opinion. Anything could have happened in those 3 games, just as we could have gotten draws when we lost.

We will never know, all we can do is wonder...

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on November 03, 2011, 12:03:00 pm by Donnybob »
Lest we forget. Who was it who said this?:

The way SOD is getting the team to play is stunning. It's a whisker away from being the finished article and when that happens I doubt there are many teams in this league that could stand 90 minutes against Rovers. And coming from someone who's as cynical as they come, that's saying something. Anyone not actually getting whats in front of their noses at Rovers at the moment on that pitch can't honestly say they know what good or bad football is.....

Oh, that's right. Someone called Benaldo...!!!!

Who now says: (SOD) 'brought in a lot of detritis' and inflicted deep and lasting damage on the club.

How the worm turns, eh?

I'm so glad you believe. 'there are good times ahead, it's just a whisker away, I just don't get how donnybob and his hareem can't see it too??'

Is this the same 'whisker away from the finished article' that you eulogised about when you'd have been happy to have SOD's babies?

Like I said, it's okay to be happy clapping the Soundbite and his agent of doom today but going by your past record you'll be the first to line up and stab them in the back when it all ends in tears.

Yet you call folk like me fickle and that we should f*** off and support some other club. Yeah, right!

Just remember, of the 9 points we've so far amassed a good half of them were flukes! One point from the last 15 is my reality. I'm basing my concerns on who's at the club now and the novice in charge of tactics and motivation, not on a bunch of disaffected outcasts and unemployed galacticos who might (if we're lucky) be persuaded to have a kick about in our shop window if it suits.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on November 03, 2011, 04:33:19 pm by benaldo »
I stand by what I said donnybob. I don't see what the problem is. At the time of that post I was upbeat, it was a fresh start, the team had played, what, 1 home game? Parts of Rovers play was brilliant. Then it all went to rat shit.....

But, for me, it wasn't the sudden turn of things, it was the fact that play didn't get better, it got worse, a hundred times worse and it reverted to the previous seasons garbage! Lets keep passing the ball back to Woods in goal. Lets keep backpassing until someone breaks friends legs. Nothing happening up front. Total and utter disaster.
It was shortly after that post that I realised SOD had lost the plot, we had too many lightweight players, most of whom looked like they didn't know what a football looked like. I had given him supprt, even lied to myself that things would get better, that Hird was the new Baresi, that Gillett was over 5 foot tall. And it wasn't like this was the start of Rovers problems was it? Things had been like that for most of the previous season. yet, as a supporter I kept going ot the km, paying my money, supporting the team.

SOD did bring a lot of detritis into the club. He brought Bennett in too, and Barnes (at least I think he did) who I both rate. BUT, SOD brought G Woods in, Hird, Friend, Martis, Gillett, and not only that, the players who used to be half decent suddenly turned shit overnight. As the person in charge of players, I'm guessing SOD has to be responsible somewhere??

Look, my valuations of the players are mine, and totally up for debate by you or anyone else (though I think you'll struggle to find a majority of support for Hird, Friend, Martis, and Gillett) but what isn't up for debate is what happened. John Ryan sacked SOD. Now he didn't sack him because he thought he was doing a good job did he? He sacked him because he saw what I and many others saw; a man who had lost control of the football club and had lessened its worth. If nothing else donnybob, JR has this clubs best interests at heart, I choose to believe that. I also choose to believe that, like me, JR once supported SOD, but obviously now he feels the same way as me about the \"detritis\". This is plain to see in the deal with Mackay to bring proper talent in to Doncaster Rovers.

Back stabbing? No. Love for Doncaster Rovers? Yes! And at the end of the day, week in week out, to be fair, (and all other football cliches) SOD was not the football club and he had run out of ideas. I think so, JR thinks so, Dick Watson thinks so, jesus..even the national press seemed to think so! If you're looking for someone to get angry with about SODs sacking donnybob, don't look at me. I'm just a Doncaster Rovers fan, always will be.

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on November 03, 2011, 06:44:36 pm by madmick50 »
Lest we forget. Who was it who said this?:

The way SOD is getting the team to play is stunning. It's a whisker away from being the finished article and when that happens I doubt there are many teams in this league that could stand 90 minutes against Rovers. And coming from someone who's as cynical as they come, that's saying something. Anyone not actually getting whats in front of their noses at Rovers at the moment on that pitch can't honestly say they know what good or bad football is.....

Oh, that's right. Someone called Benaldo...!!!!

PMSL!!! Benaldo you have lost any shred of credibility. You are the epitome of the most fickle football fan imaginable ready to jump on the latest bandwagon. Keep posting though as I love a good laugh!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 03, 2011, 06:59:26 pm by benaldo »
Thank you very much. If the definition of a good football supporter is \"one who cannot and will not change his/her view no matter what the evidence\" then I am possibly a worse fan than I could ever hope to be....

Fickle........or open to change?

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 03, 2011, 07:18:43 pm by Donnybob »
Well you've certainly got something in common with your hero - say one thing one day and completely opposite the next :dry:

Funny how 'a whisker away' now translates to 'parts of' because it suits your current argument. But fair play for trying to defend your position.

I don't doubt your personal loyalty to the club or to JR. But JR is not infallible. He can and does make mistakes including huge media gaffes. Sometimes he's his own and the club's worst enemy.

I do believe you're making huge assumptions in your reasons why SOD was sacked. He wasn't sacked, he was put on gardening leave. There's a huge difference and if he had 'lost control of the football club' as you say he could have been sacked as a disciplinary matter and the question of compensation would not have been an issue.

Until SOD's side of the story is heard then everything is pure speculation but do you seriously expect me to believe this plan was hatched on the night SOD was sacked? Highly unlikely. What is likely is that SOD was asked to manage a team of loanee misfits rather than develop the club in the way he's been doing since he arrived. That being the case it would have been obvious that the club had decided to abandon his principles and go for broke in a wild gamble and I suspect he wanted no part of it.

Don't forget we outplayed Brighton until they kicked seven bells out of us on opening day. With no effective strikers left on the field, the heart of our midfied off injured and down to ten men, not to mention 10 minutes of Fergie time it was inevitable we would be pressed back and punished. There simply was no outlet for us.

That was the last time SOD had a decent team to field and I said immediately after the Brighton match that we would not win another match before we played Peterborough. That we beat Palace had more to do with luck and divine intervention than anything Saunders did. We were pants! And lucky not to concede a first half penalty and finish with 10 men.

Saunders has enjoyed the return of numerous key players and the bolstering of loan players yet it appears, to me and others, that he is tactically inept and inexperienced at this level. It's a bit like giving a 4-year-old a Ferrari to play with.

Coming out with rash statements that he was going to cure the injured should have had alarm bells ringing in everyone's ears. What is he? The Messiah? Oddly his problem this week was, allegedly, the number of players out injured.

Saunders does not have my support. McKay doesn't, either. They have done nothing to earn it. Don't forget that JR brought him in with a view to gaining promotion within 2 seasons, possibly even this year. That's on public record and that's what I'll judge him on.

If we're not pressing for the play-offs this season and then going up the next then he'll remain a fly-by-night failure in my eyes.

Why do so many sports journalists think it's a reckless idea? Why do opposition fans think it's stupid? And why are a great number of Rovers fans concerned and uneasy? It's bigger than SOD. It's because if it goes wrong we could be up sh*t creek without a paddle and one relegation could be easily followed by another.

But hey, let the blind lead the blind and keep on clapping, we'll be okay, won't we? It's all SOD's fault.:headbang:

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 03, 2011, 07:26:06 pm by madmick50 »
Quote from: \"Donnybob\" post=196702
Well you've certainly got something in common with your hero - say one thing one day and completely opposite the next :dry:

Funny how 'a whisker away' now translates to 'parts of' because it suits your current argument. But fair play for trying to defend your position.

I don't doubt your personal loyalty to the club or to JR. But JR is not infallible. He can and does make mistakes including huge media gaffes. Sometimes he's his own and the club's worst enemy.

I do believe you're making huge assumptions in your reasons why SOD was sacked. He wasn't sacked, he was put on gardening leave. There's a huge difference and if he had 'lost control of the football club' as you say he could have been sacked as a disciplinary matter and the question of compensation would not have been an issue.

Until SOD's side of the story is heard then everything is pure speculation but do you seriously expect me to believe this plan was hatched on the night SOD was sacked? Highly unlikely. What is likely is that SOD was asked to manage a team of loanee misfits rather than develop the club in the way he's been doing since he arrived. That being the case it would have been obvious that the club had decided to abandon his principles and go for broke in a wild gamble and I suspect he wanted no part of it.

Don't forget we outplayed Brighton until they kicked seven bells out of us on opening day. With no effective strikers left on the field, the heart of our midfied off injured and down to ten men, not to mention 10 minutes of Fergie time it was inevitable we would be pressed back and punished. There simply was no outlet for us.

That was the last time SOD had a decent team to field and I said immediately after the Brighton match that we would not win another match before we played Peterborough. That we beat Palace had more to do with luck and divine intervention than anything Saunders did. We were pants! And lucky not to concede a first half penalty and finish with 10 men.

Saunders has enjoyed the return of numerous key players and the bolstering of loan players yet it appears, to me and others, that he is tactically inept and inexperienced at this level. It's a bit like giving a 4-year-old a Ferrari to play with.

Coming out with rash statements that he was going to cure the injured should have had alarm bells ringing in everyone's ears. What is he? The Messiah? Oddly his problem this week was, allegedly, the number of players out injured.

Saunders does not have my support. McKay doesn't, either. They have done nothing to earn it. Don't forget that JR brought him in with a view to gaining promotion within 2 seasons, possibly even this year. That's on public record and that's what I'll judge him on.

If we're not pressing for the play-offs this season and then going up the next then he'll remain a fly-by-night failure in my eyes.

Why do so many sports journalists think it's a reckless idea? Why do opposition fans think it's stupid? And why are a great number of Rovers fans concerned and uneasy? It's bigger than SOD. It's because if it goes wrong we could be up sh*t creek without a paddle and one relegation could be easily followed by another.

But hey, let the blind lead the blind and keep on clapping, we'll be okay, won't we? It's all SOD's fault.:headbang:

What an excellent post. Donnybob for chairman!!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 03, 2011, 08:23:01 pm by dickos1 »
So negative its untrue.. I was one of SODs biggest fans and i was gutted when he left. But jesus christ Donnybob we support the football team not o'driscoll. To say saunders doesnt have your support is a disgrace, he hasnt done anything wrong, he got offered a job and he accepted it thats it.
He is now doing his best for the football club, only 3 of these players are his and he has been in charge for all of 8 matches.
We were bottom when he took over did you expect us to become promotion candidates overnight? We have won 5 games now out of about 40 matches, under 2 different managers, that identifies our squad isnt good enough, so give saunders at least a chance to bring his own players in and give him a chance, he cannot be slagged off after 8 games its ridiculous :thumbdown:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 03, 2011, 08:30:58 pm by benaldo »
I don't for a second think that SODs sacking (and it was a sacking wasn't it...\"please don't come into work tomorrow\" is a sacking by anyones definition!) and the subsequent plan with Mackay was dreamed up in the course of one evening. But I also don't think you should sack someone without thinking what to do next.

I'm glad you thought the very start to the season was ok, I seem to remember posting something similar.....

But...losing Sharp should not in itself have made so much of a difference that Rovers turned into Edlington under 13s. And you appear to say that we weren't the same team after Brighton. Two players injured and that's it all over???? What idiot would run a team like that.....?

As for your disgust at the current state of Rovers. I don't see it. Rovers, as of Tuesday night, have the best team they have ever, ever had in the history of their existance. OK, so they lost, but you can't expect players to have one game together and hardly any training together and play well for 90 minutes. Saunders will get that right, the players will get that right. SOD had years and couldn't get that right.

Tactically I think Saunders is not as inept as SOD. My opinion. We don't have one striker, we don't have the ball going back to the keeper every 10 seconds and we do have a forward motion. The only thing in common with SOD is the poor players at the spine of the team. Saunders isn't responsible for that. To use your analogy, Saunders is like a kid driving a ferrari that the previous owner has fitted square wheels to!

I seem to recall many journalists speculating that Rovers could well have the best team in the league by miles by the end of this season, not dooming them to die. But perhaps your own colourful memory has jaded that a little? But, for me, the main thing is - call him soundbite or anything you like - but Dean Saunders got Doncaster Rovers to win a football game for the first time in nearly 8 months!! And there is a feeling of optimism amongst all the fans I speak to. It's not dreary anymore, it's not hopelss, it's not silly tactics around playing John Oster as a defensive midfielder and getting him to pass to the keeper all the time. It's more direct. And I like the fact that Saunders view on tactics is \"I don't care if the game isn't pretty as long as it gets three points\" and he's not scared of saying the players played crap when they do. It's different. It's useful, it's realistic.

The Mackay plan is possibly the only way out of this mess. JR says the club can't afford to keep on at it's old rate and this plan gets brilliant players at brilliant prices. It's a stroke of genius. It might just work. To carry on with the misery that SOD was inflicting would have been madness and in the end, I don't believe even SOD wanted to get up and go to work. Would you force that on him if it was clear he'd shot his bolt?

Anyway, my main concern and the thing I'm most puzzled about is why you can't get behind the new regime? JR is trying to make things happen for the club, I trust him, most people do....except you and madmonkey50. I don't get it? This is, despite the current league position, an exciting time to be a Rovers fan. I'm positive, lots of fans are, that results will come, it's called supprting your team. Take the donnybob challenge eh......

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 03, 2011, 10:42:27 pm by madmick50 »
People should be allowed to express their opinions. It's what a forum is for. Whatever people feel about SOD and Saunders they should be allowed to express an opinion. Just because you support Rovers does not mean that you have to blindly follow everything that the board and manager do.

Me and Donnybob have similar views and we should be allowed to express them without people getting upset because we 'aren't getting behind the new strategy and manager'. If I feel the new strategy and manager are not going to do the business then I have every right to say so.

I back my arguments up and listen to other people's views and am prepared to change my mind but so far no-one has come up with any reason why I should do so.

To summarise, my main areas of concern are:
Saunders has no League experience never mind Championship experience.

We are never going to get a settled team and good team spirit with the current strategy.

These two factors alone mean it is very unlikely we will be successful and I can't for the life of me understand why other people blindly ignore these factors as if they don't matter. No matter how good the players are, they will not be successful if they are not part of a stable settled team that has a good team spirit.

Hopefully John Ryan reads this forum and will take the advice offered by me and Donnybob and realise the error of his ways.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on November 03, 2011, 11:25:45 pm by dickos1 »
This whole McKay thing though is being blownout of all proportion. Look at sheff u they've just signed 2 lads from Blackpool who have been brilliant for them, but they're going back to Blackpool next week.. What's the difference with that and what were doing?? Blackpool got promoted themselves the other year with 4 or 5 loan players who were regulars in their team!!
Nobody has settled squads anymore players move around much more than they used to mainly due to the finances now which has meant shorter contracts, but what were doing now isn't so unlike what a lot if clubs will also be doing this season.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 04, 2011, 09:21:43 pm by Donnybob »
Hi Benaldo,

Been out all day and not had time to taunt you. Are you missing me?

Can you help me out as I’m feeling a bit confused. You are urging me to get behind Saunders and back both him and Willie, suggesting that it’s so unfair of me to question his ability or suitability for the manager’s job. In fact let me remind you of exactly what you said:

Benaldo: My main concern and the thing I'm most puzzled about is why you can't get behind the new regime? This is an exciting time to be a Rovers fan. I'm positive, lots of fans are, that results will come, it's called supprting your team. Take the donnybob challenge eh......

I think I can see where you’re coming from. If they wear the shirt we must support them, all the way, to the hilt, even if we think they’re rubbish. If Soundbite’s the manager we must praise him. It is grossly unfair to attack a manager and the playing staff. It’s called supporting your team. Okay, I get it. But how come these rules don’t apply to you?

These are your views on current players:

Benaldo: Quite a few players are living on past glories and are getting past it (Oster, Stock, Hayter, Coppinger, Sullivan). Other players have lost form since being injured and can't reclaim it (O'Connor, Coppinger).

[I believed] Hird was the new Baresi, Gillett was over 5 foot tall.

Shelton Martis trips over the ball, or falls over, or is looking the wrong way. Or that Friend is not a footballer. A rubbish midfield doesn't help the defence, but Martis and Friend are honestly part of the problem. Sullivan too, for the first time for me, looked his age. I hadn't seen a keeper move so slowly since the conference days...honestly! I thought to myself last night that Andy Warrington would have easily saved two of those goals, and possibly got a hand on the penalty!?

The damage that SOD has done to Doncaster Rovers is so deep

Oster is getting old, Stock is half the man he was, Mason has pipe cleaners for legs, Gillett wouldn't be allowed to buy fags without ID. It's all too lighweight and scared. There isn't a leader among them. Not one of them to take a game and boss things[/i]

Let me get this clear, it’s okay to slag off the players who by and large have kept us in this division for the past 3 seasons, some even got us here, but it’s not okay to slag off someone who has only been here five minutes. Yet it was okay for you to slag off SOD wasn’t it. Let me think, what was it you posted? Oh yes, that was it.

Benaldo: I wanted SOD out (I think) and \"got my wish\".

Oh, and you were also happy to post:

Benaldo: Face it, Rovers are a laughing stock at the moment. I blame SOD and I blame the board.

Well what if I want Soundbite out? Surely that makes me no different to you, does it? How did you put it?

Benaldo: I'm just a Doncaster Rovers fan, always will be.

And so am I. So are those who are voicing their opinions on how they feel about the current direction the club is taking. Fine mate, you try and shout us down. Go on, deny us our freedom of speech. But don’t be surprised if that makes us even more likely to come back and make you look foolish.

So please, don’t be a hypocrite and castigate us for doing exactly what you have done yourself. The proof is there in your own words. And there are loads more pearls from the mouth they came from, even though you currently appear to have a foot permanently planted firmly in it.

Ipswich are weakened tomorrow. Maybe it’s the turning point. I do hope so, don’t you?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on November 05, 2011, 04:50:54 am by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Donnybob\" post=196988
Hi Benaldo,

Been out all day and not had time to taunt you. Are you missing me?

Can you help me out as I’m feeling a bit confused. You are urging me to get behind Saunders and back both him and Willie, suggesting that it’s so unfair of me to question his ability or suitability for the manager’s job. In fact let me remind you of exactly what you said:

Benaldo: My main concern and the thing I'm most puzzled about is why you can't get behind the new regime? This is an exciting time to be a Rovers fan. I'm positive, lots of fans are, that results will come, it's called supprting your team. Take the donnybob challenge eh......

I think I can see where you’re coming from. If they wear the shirt we must support them, all the way, to the hilt, even if we think they’re rubbish. If Soundbite’s the manager we must praise him. It is grossly unfair to attack a manager and the playing staff. It’s called supporting your team. Okay, I get it. But how come these rules don’t apply to you?

These are your views on current players:

Benaldo: Quite a few players are living on past glories and are getting past it (Oster, Stock, Hayter, Coppinger, Sullivan). Other players have lost form since being injured and can't reclaim it (O'Connor, Coppinger).

[I believed] Hird was the new Baresi, Gillett was over 5 foot tall.

Shelton Martis trips over the ball, or falls over, or is looking the wrong way. Or that Friend is not a footballer. A rubbish midfield doesn't help the defence, but Martis and Friend are honestly part of the problem. Sullivan too, for the first time for me, looked his age. I hadn't seen a keeper move so slowly since the conference days...honestly! I thought to myself last night that Andy Warrington would have easily saved two of those goals, and possibly got a hand on the penalty!?

The damage that SOD has done to Doncaster Rovers is so deep

Oster is getting old, Stock is half the man he was, Mason has pipe cleaners for legs, Gillett wouldn't be allowed to buy fags without ID. It's all too lighweight and scared. There isn't a leader among them. Not one of them to take a game and boss things.

Let me get this clear, it’s okay to slag off the players who by and large have kept us in this division for the past 3 seasons, some even got us here, but it’s not okay to slag off someone who has only been here five minutes. It was okay for you to slag off SOD wasn’t it. Let me think, what was it you posted? Oh yes, that was it.

Benaldo: I wanted SOD out (I think) and \"got my wish\".

Oh, and you were also happy to post:

Benaldo: Face it, Rovers are a laughing stock at the moment. I blame SOD and I blame the board.

Well what if I want Soundbite out? Surely that makes me no different to you, does it? How did you put it?

Benaldo: I'm just a Doncaster Rovers fan, always will be.

And so am I. So are those who are prepared to stand up and voice their opinions on how they feel about the current direction the club is taking. Fine mate, you try and shout us down. Go on, deny us our freedom of speech. But don’t be surprised if that makes us even more likely to come back at you.

But please, don’t be a hypocrite and castigate them for doing exactly what you have done yourself. The proof is there in your own words. And there are loads more pearls from the mouth they came from even though you seem to have your foot planted firmly in it.

Ipswich are weakened tomorrow. Maybe it’s the turning point. I do hope so, don’t you?

Pardon my language but...

f**king Quality!

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 05, 2011, 10:08:59 am by Donnybob »
Pardon granted!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on November 05, 2011, 11:05:25 am by Wellred »
This forum is getting silly. I now know if I see a post from certain individuals there is no point reading it. It will be the same predictable negativity about he current regime and harping back to what has gone.
You know who you are. It's now getting extremely boring. Can you change the record?

stokerover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 05, 2011, 11:08:53 am by stokerover »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=197041
This forum is getting silly. I now know if I see a post from certain individuals there is no point reading it. It will be the same predictable negativity about he current regime and harping back to what has gone.
You know who you are. It's now getting extremely boring. Can you change the record?

Can you and benaldo leave the forum?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 05, 2011, 11:14:55 am by benaldo »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=197041

It appears not Wellred

Some people on here (well two of them) can't seem to get it through their heads that when a manager has f**ked up a team for over a year it goes a little past \"support\" is goes into the realms of \"go away please\" (thankfully JR feels the same)! And they also can't get their keyboards around the fact that a new regime gives new hope and to be honest if a f**king monkey had got the job most fans would have backed it over SOD in the end.

Football is about false dawns and emotional responses to events, which can go a long way to my misguided on off support of SOD right at the very start of the season (quoted me there too donnybob, but let's not let that get in the way of this last particular load of misquoted b*llocks eh?). Which showed I gave SOD support and a chance to make things right......he didn't. Good fan? Bad fan? I rather think that it was good, I gave him another chance. Eventually he showed he couldn't do it, which isn't my fault.
I think what really grates on you is the fact JRs actions back up every single thing I'm saying. And additionally, that 90% of Rovers fans are embracing the future.

Entitled to oyur opinion donnybob, like me (unfortunately for you), but your whispering campaign against Saunders is frankly appalling. He's had less than 10 games for christs sake with SODs players!

So, to make it perfectly clear, I support Rovers right now. I suggest you write to JR and tell him you don't believe in him instead of badgering me like a dose of piles. Perhaps he can persuade you to become a Rovers fan again?

EDIT - thought I'd have a little trawl through some of your posts to see if you are able to back up anything you're currently saying. Interesting -

Donnybob on his confidence of the board - \"Leave the board and the management team alone to concentrate on doing what's right and we'll be fine.\"

Donnybob on the usefulness of agents - \"Players agents decide when it's time for a player to move on and frequently encourage them to let their contracts run down. It gives them huge bargaining power and although we lose players to the system, we also gain them. Did we not raid Bournemouth and Rotherham?

You're a fool if you think that the Rovers don't have discussions with players' agents about contract renewals well in advance. Club's don't dictate to agents you know!\" My my, what a turnaround...!!

Donnybob yet again on the usefulness of raiding new loanee's.....oh, and sticking up for the football fan who changes their mind. Weird! - \"Football is contantly in a state of flux and change. Players come, players go. Everyone loses the odd 'star' player, their heroes, but if you're lucky, like us, the strength of the overall squad continues to improve. No-one complained when we used the same system to tempt players like Wellens and Woods on free transfers.

There's something called 'the emotional cycle of change'. It affects all things in life but seldom does it fluctuate quite so quickly as it does for football fans between seasons.\"

Bob predicts an easy end to last season, not the close shave it turned out to be. Stupidity pie anyone? - \"Get this straight. The Rovers are not going down. To think they are in any danger borders on sheer stupid\"

Donnybob on the power of negative shite  - \"In other words, you are talking out of your backside and such negative waffle does nothing for the confidence of the team or its supporters\" oh dear donnybob. If only you took your own advice eh?

Weirdly, in this post Donnybob now hates the board and doubts their capacity to run a football club - \"Right now I feel the board is a laughing stock. I do not trust their abilities\"

I could go on, and on, and on, but I'll leave it there. I guess what I'm trying to prove donnybob, is that you are no more right than anyone on here, you spout the same b*llocks as anyone else, me included. You accused me of \"backstabbing\" yet a quick sort through some of you posts produces plenty of that from yourself. So, perhaps you could also, as you've advised me, wipe the saliva off your foot. Hate Saunders all you like, mistrust JR all you like, I don't care one bit, but don't for a second pretend you are not the pontificating and patronising, fickle, fan that you are. You're views are as ridiculous as mine.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 06, 2011, 11:24:05 am by Donnybob »
Hey Benaldo, get a grip!

Whilst I appreciate that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery your attempt to take direct quotes from my postings over the past 6 months hoping to use them against me falls hopelessly when subjected to the slightest analysis. Let’s just refresh, shall we?

Last season the mood on this forum was that Rovers were going down, the Board needed to get their hands in their pockets, SOD should go, the players were crap, etc, etc, etc. I posted: \"Leave the board and the management team alone to concentrate on doing what's right and we'll be fine.\"

Was I right? Did we not survive?

The key phrase there was: doing what's right

You quote me as posting:

\"Players come, players go. Everyone loses the odd 'star' player, their heroes, but if you're lucky, like us, the strength of the overall squad continues to improve. No-one complained when we used the same system to tempt players like Wellens and Woods on free transfers.\"

The comment, as everyone bar you seems to understand, is about the Bosman system of players running down their contracts and moving on. It refers to our squad being strengthened by the permanent acquisition of these players. It is nothing to do with loans. Unfortunately you are twisting this to justify the current policy of introducing a conveyor belt system of short-term loans and mercenaries.

What was the term you used? That’s right, a load of misquoted b*llocks”. Hoist by your own petard there I’m afraid.

It was rather nice of you to post my prediction in the later stages of last season when all and sundry were on the team’s back: \"Get this straight. The Rovers are not going down. To think they are in any danger borders on sheer stupidity\"

And was I right? Are we not playing in the Championship this season? And did we have a care in the world on the final day of the season?

You attack me for showing positivity and attack me for showing concern over having a novice manager and an agent in charge of footballing matters. Clearly you want to be able to argue both ways when it suits you.

You remind me I wrote this: \"In other words, you are talking out of your backside and such negative waffle does nothing for the confidence of the team or its supporters\"

Which is as relevant today as the day I wrote it. After all, is it not you who is consistently undermining the current squad, pontificating that all and sundry are too small, too lightweight, too slow, past their best or simply not good enough?

You quote me as posting: \"Right now I feel the board is a laughing stock. I do not trust their abilities\"

And I stand by that quote. Articles in a number of National newspapers have raised concerns, too. How can you blindly trust a Chairman who publicly backs his manager when it was quite clear his replacement had already been lined up to take over? The same Chairman then begins to insinuate the manager didn’t want this, didn’t want to do that and there had been problems for a considerable while. So why on earth did he not do something sooner? Like at the end of last season when it would have been an appropriate time for a parting of the ways.

Surely he knew that McKay and Saunders were taking over? As Chairman it was his job to know and if he didn’t then his abilities must be brought into question. If he did know then he’s shown a crass and unforgivable lack of judgement.

And of course we are now told that we have a board member (who was brought in because he had money) saying he’s not prepared to support the club financially but he still sits on the board making decisions. Why?

Now something I must take issue with you over is this insult which you attribute to me: “So, perhaps you could also, as you've advised me, wipe the saliva off your foot.”

Can we just be straight here, I appreciate you’re more desperate to score points that Soundbite is, but did I really use that phrase? Can you point me to it so I can read it in context. Doesn’t sound like something I would normally say, that’s all, and it wouldn't be my intention to cause offense.

You close your somewhat hurt and bitter response with the statement, “You're views are as ridiculous as mine”.

Come on Benny boy, I’ll grant that yours are frequently ridiculous but surely I have been consistent throughout the debate and, unlike you, never once have I written a negative word about a single player wearing a Rovers shirt. My support for the team has been one hundred per cent. I have even given the mercenaries my reluctant backing when they wear the shirt.

I even like the stadium!

The only areas in which I have offered any criticism has been towards McKay and Saunders, and JR’s penchant for talking b*llocks to the media when he really should know better, and the current path he is hell bent on leading this club down.

You may believe he’s discovered a guaranteed short cut to the promised land, that our first win in six games means we’ve suddenly turned the corner and that everything in the garden is now rosy, but you know what, we’re still bottom and I personally don’t really worry too much where we will be playing this time next year. What I worry about is where this will lead in five years, or ten. It is the long term future of Doncaster Rovers at stake, not the short term quick-fix at all costs.

Anyway, keep smiling and if you’re going to quote me at all, why not use the last sentence in my previous post:

“Ipswich are weakened tomorrow. Maybe it’s the turning point. I do hope so, don’t you?”

Perhaps we can agree to disagree on everything else but congratulate the team on a fine, if predictable win.

Peace and love from a \"pontificating and patronising, fickle, fan\".

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 06, 2011, 11:54:54 am by dickos1 »
Predictable win? It's throw away comments like that, which undermine your posts. That result yesterday was far from. Predictable. And Terry bramall didn't have an influence on the sacking of sod he was away and was told about it the following day.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 06, 2011, 01:27:24 pm by Wellred »
Unfortunately it seems the record is still stuck. Maybe after it has gone round a few more times it will overheat and burn itself out.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 06, 2011, 04:26:35 pm by RoversAlias »
When it's gotten to the stage where posters are writing theses with tonnes of quotes from both themselves and the other person being picked apart then you know that it might be time to take a step back and just give it a rest.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 06, 2011, 04:56:56 pm by ditch_drfc »
This thread has gone so off topic I'm surprised Bobjimwily hasn't done his usual job of shutting it down..

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on November 06, 2011, 05:23:08 pm by madmick50 »
I've really started looking forward to Benaldo's posts. They don't half make me laugh. I think anyone with an open mind reading his posts and Donnybobs would be far more persuaded of Donnybob's views as they are far more consistent, rational and backed up by sound logic.It just so happens as well that pretty much everything he says concurs with my own views.

It's time for everyone to be grown up and not be surprised that people hold different views. There should be less of the attack dog mentality just because someone dares to question the club's policy. The world would be a very boring place if we all agreed about everything. The sensible thing to do is make a point and then back it up (not contradict yourself). Benaldo you need to learn this part of how to debate sensibly (however I hope you don't as I would miss my daily laugh).

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on November 06, 2011, 05:32:37 pm by drfc1951 »
Cant we have some positivity, we won yesterday yet this thread still rears its ugly head again. Can someone
who went to Ipswich start a thread Why we won yesterday.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 06, 2011, 05:38:44 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"madmick50\" post=197384
I've really started looking forward to Benaldo's posts. They don't half make me laugh. I think anyone with an open mind reading his posts and Donnybobs would be far more persuaded of Donnybob's views as they are far more consistent, rational and backed up by sound logic.It just so happens as well that pretty much everything he says concurs with my own views.

It's time for everyone to be grown up and not be surprised that people hold different views. There should be less of the attack dog mentality just because someone dares to question the club's policy. The world would be a very boring place if we all agreed about everything. The sensible thing to do is make a point and then back it up (not contradict yourself). Benaldo you need to learn this part of how to debate sensibly (however I hope you don't as I would miss my daily laugh).

madmick50 = Stubborn
Adjective. Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially  in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

Kind of sums you and Donnybob up quite well.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on November 06, 2011, 05:42:34 pm by dickos1 »
People can have differing views of course they can. But to still be talking negatively just a few hours after a great victory. Really does begger belief. If we had lost yesterday this forum would of been chocker block with certain people going mental. Hardly anyone from the posters who don't want Saunders have posted since we won yesterday. Which says it all really!!

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 06, 2011, 06:15:30 pm by madmick50 »
People can have differing views of course they can. But to still be talking negatively just a few hours after a great victory. Really does begger belief. If we had lost yesterday this forum would of been chocker block with certain people going mental. Hardly anyone from the posters who don't want Saunders have posted since we won yesterday. Which says it all really!!

I'd be surprised if any of the posters that don't want Saunders also wanted Rovers to lose. I'm sure they are all very pleased we won. Just because we won yesterday does not prove anything. You can be anti Saunders and still pro the team. It's very simplistic to say that because we have won all the pro Saunders/ board brigade have won the argument and we should all suspend our beliefs and be positive about the situation.

One swallow does not make a summer. It's the long-term that bothers me and others and the disgraceful way that SO'D was treated. It seems to me that it is mainly the posters that are pro Saunders that are consistently slagging the players off (Benaldo being the biggest culprit). Me and Donnybob don't fall into that category.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012