Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:29:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dear FIFA.....  (Read 5968 times)

GM-MarkB

Dear FIFA.....
« on November 05, 2011, 03:07:03 pm by GM-MarkB »
F**k Off !!

Nuff said :thumbdown:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Dear FIFA.....
« Reply #1 on November 05, 2011, 03:14:36 pm by silent majority »
Absolutely agree.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 05, 2011, 03:22:39 pm by RedJ »
Disgraceful wouldn't go far enough to fully describing this move.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 05, 2011, 03:36:57 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Giz a clue. . .

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 05, 2011, 03:42:07 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"i_ateallthepies\" post=197158
Giz a clue. . .

For anyone who doesn't know, FIFA have banned England from having poppies on the jersey for next week's game, for \"political reasons\" apparently..

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 05, 2011, 04:12:20 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Thanks RedJ, that's a disgrace!  Shouldn't be surprised :angry:

GM-MarkB

« Reply #6 on November 05, 2011, 04:25:29 pm by GM-MarkB »
The fat cnuts sat in their offices in Switzerland should think on for a second. Being nuetral in war doesn't mean you shouldn't be ungrateful to those who gave their lives so that they could still sell chocolate and cuckoo clocks in a FREE World.

We should wear them anyway next Saturday and tell Blatter to get f*cked !!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 05, 2011, 04:28:42 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"GM-MarkB\" post=197195
The fat cnuts sat in their offices in Switzerland should think on for a second. Being nuetral in war doesn't mean you shouldn't be ungrateful to those who gave their lives so that they could still sell chocolate and cuckoo clocks in a FREE World.

We should wear them anyway next Saturday and tell Blatter to get f*cked !!

Isn't the worst thing they can actually do to us if we just ignore them giving us a fine? I mean it's not exactly a suspension-worthy offence..

Sif

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 05, 2011, 04:52:23 pm by Sif »
It's just a poppy. This whole mindset of poppy-fascism needs to stop.

We don't allow advertising on national shirts, so why would they allow a poppy? it's a matter of raising awareness, and therefore it is advertising regardless of whether it's paid for or not.

If they want to show their respects, they can do it in their own way. If the FA feels the need to make a public display, put poppies on the warm-up jackets that they wear whilst listening to the national anthems. It's not f**king difficult.

Some of you lot on here need to be a lot less knee-jerk in your reactions, and cut back on the hyperbole and sensationalism.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 05, 2011, 05:19:31 pm by dumbroofer »
Quote from: \"Sif\" post=197207

We don't allow advertising on national shirts, so why would they allow a poppy? it's a matter of raising awareness, and therefore it is advertising regardless of whether it's paid for or not.

If they want to show their respects, they can do it in their own way. If the FA feels the need to make a public display, put poppies on the warm-up jackets that they wear whilst listening to the national anthems. It's not f**king difficult.

Some of you lot on here need to be a lot less knee-jerk in your reactions, and cut back on the hyperbole and sensationalism.

WHAT?????

GM-MarkB

« Reply #10 on November 05, 2011, 05:28:10 pm by GM-MarkB »

Mind if I ask how old you are ?

And if you're just a young 'un, ask your Dad or Grandad what the Poppy is all about...or go find someone who was there fighting and has lived to tell the tale.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 05, 2011, 05:32:09 pm by RedJ »
It's a shame we don't have that red away top, we could've asked the Spanish to play in their other strip and us wear that.

I wonder if the FA will have the b*llocks to defy FIFA anyway.. after all, we tend not to get on with them, particularly Blatter.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 05, 2011, 05:33:37 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"GM-MarkB\" post=197227

And if you're just a young 'un, ask your Dad or Grandad what the Poppy is all about...or go find someone who was there fighting and has lived to tell the tale.

If I`m not mistaken, I believe Sif is an ex serviceman, and would be fully aware of what the poppy is all about

Sif

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 05, 2011, 05:40:34 pm by Sif »

I'm 29. Served in the Royal Navy. Spent time in Sierra Leone & Iraq. I also took part in remembrance day ceremonies at the cenotaph.

I know what it's about, thanks.

But this is my point entirely. I know what it's about, everyone knows what it's about. This need to make people wear the poppy is absurd. I served, and have mates that served. I came home fine. Some of my friends came home without limbs, without sight of without the ability to hear. Some didn't come home at all. I don't need to wear a poppy to remember the sacrifices made by those during the great wars, and by those fighting an unjust 'crusade' over the last decade. John Snow was vilified back in '06 for refusing to wear one, and why? because people just assume the guy has no respect and immediately go to town on him.

People can remember any way they want. I don't feel that a poppy has to be emblazoned on the shirt of the national squad. And all this chest-beating is un-called for.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #14 on November 05, 2011, 05:52:54 pm by GM-MarkB »
I apologise Sir, I didn't know

But I still think FIFA are wrong. No one is making the England team wear a poppy on the shirt, the FA want to as a tribute.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 05, 2011, 06:25:19 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"Sif\" post=197234

People can remember any way they want. I don't feel that a poppy has to be emblazoned on the shirt of the national squad. And all this chest-beating is un-called for.

And there is the point Sif, you personally don't feel that, but perhaps other people do? As you've eluded to, the Poppy is seen pretty much everywhere and on everything at this time of year, but if the FA wanted our team to wear it as a tribute, why on earth should FIFA ban it?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 05, 2011, 06:28:14 pm by Alickismyhero »
RESPECT Sif, RESPECT,

I would still go with poppies on our shirts and the fact that FIFA, who in my opinion does not deserve any respect, is saying no, would make me even more determined to have poppies.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 05, 2011, 06:56:05 pm by GazLaz »
Quote from: \"Sif\" post=197234

I'm 29. Served in the Royal Navy. Spent time in Sierra Leone & Iraq. I also took part in remembrance day ceremonies at the cenotaph.

I know what it's about, thanks.

But this is my point entirely. I know what it's about, everyone knows what it's about. This need to make people wear the poppy is absurd. I served, and have mates that served. I came home fine. Some of my friends came home without limbs, without sight of without the ability to hear. Some didn't come home at all. I don't need to wear a poppy to remember the sacrifices made by those during the great wars, and by those fighting an unjust 'crusade' over the last decade. John Snow was vilified back in '06 for refusing to wear one, and why? because people just assume the guy has no respect and immediately go to town on him.

Shot down in flames like an old Spitfire. Why do people just presume young people know f**k all.
#giveyouthachance

]

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 05, 2011, 07:39:24 pm by graingrover »
You have people with the courage and dignity of Billy Sharp and in the same breath you have comments like POPPY FASCISM!! My wife's Dad was killed on the beaches of Normandy fighting Nazism and Fascism ... her Dad would despair to think that an Englishman coumld use the termm Poppy Fascism at a symbol of respect for his sacrifice and the lives of many others !

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 05, 2011, 07:44:46 pm by graingrover »
... hope you didn't get too splashed !

GM-MarkB

« Reply #20 on November 05, 2011, 08:05:58 pm by GM-MarkB »
Lol at GazLaz....

If I was compared to a Spitfire i'd be highly honoured.

One of the most memorable symbols of true British spirit, courage and determination

I thank you for your kind words :thumbsup:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 05, 2011, 09:06:52 pm by hoolahoop »
Sorry Sif, wearing of poppies is all about awareness......it's not the likes of you , my Dad et al who we are trying to educate here.
The problem is there are still many of our youngsters , who quite simply are still unaware of what it means, why it's important for most and more importantly the British Legion and their great work.
LEST WE FORGET.
Would you stop Remembrance Day too ?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 06, 2011, 10:54:45 am by The Red Baron »
Although it is easy to write this off as an example of FIFA's heavy-handed, bureacratic approach, I can see where they are coming from. If you allow England to wear poppies on their shirts, this could be used as a precedent for other countries to wear symbols promoting political or nationalist causes.

Don't forget that although the poppy is generally accepted throughout the UK as a \"neutral\" symbol free from political connotations, even that acceptance isn't universal- remember the furore over poppies among some Celtic fans last season.

It should be possible to promote an commemmorate Remembrance Day and the work of the British Legion at Wembley next Saturday without the need for players to sport poppies.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 06, 2011, 04:18:32 pm by RoversAlias »
About 5 people have responded to Sif in a manner that completely solidifies the point he was making. People get too carried away with stuff like this sometimes. Sif clearly understands just as well as any of us (if not a hell of a lot more!) what the Poppy symbolises, and what Remembrance Day means to the nation.

What needs to be noted here is that Fifa didn't see that England wanted to wear poppies and suddenly go \"Heinous! We need to insert legislation banning them from doing this!\". They merely pointed out an existing law that prevented the poppy from being placed on the shirt, one that makes perfect sense due to the aforementioned precedents that it could set.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 06, 2011, 04:25:45 pm by benaldo »
It's appalling. I mean there are momorials like this when lots of people die from natural disasters (tsunamis earthquakes) and no-one bats an eyelid. Millions of English people died over two world wars. It wasn't politics that killed them, it was protecting freedom from a regime that liked gassing millions of ethnic groups! I don't know what is wrong with fighting a regime like that do you?

I am not ashamed to be English and I'm proud of what my grandparents did in the war. This is utter b*llocks of the highest order. FIFA can go f**k themselves.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 06, 2011, 07:24:30 pm by The Red Baron »
I know it puts me in the odd position of defending FIFA, but I can't recall an international team wearing a symbol of remembrance to a natural disaster on their shirt.

Yes, I appreciate that the poppy is supposed to symbolise all those who died in wars (irrespective of whose side they were on) but as I said before, I can understand FIFA's argument- even if I don't particularly like it.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 06, 2011, 07:32:55 pm by benaldo »
I thought the poppy was the symbol of rememberence for all UK people killed in war? At least I hope thats where my money goes when I buy a poppy!

And lots of international teams wear black armbands to signify respect over someone or others passing don't they?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 06, 2011, 08:56:21 pm by RoversAlias »
Black armbands are not the same, they are not woven into the shirt on the core design like the poppies would be. It isn't the same thing.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 06, 2011, 09:02:45 pm by BobG »
Anyone ever think that perpetuating old hatreds and reinforcing nationalism is one of the most extremely dangerous things it is ever possible to do?

Cheers

BobG

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 07, 2011, 10:47:50 am by inSODwetrust »
[attachment=882]sepp-blatter-wanted1.jpg[/attachment]

TinyPortal © 2005-2012