Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 03:49:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Will we stay up ?  (Read 3990 times)

RTID_Peter

• Forum Member
Will we stay up ?
« on January 22, 2012, 07:04:07 pm by RTID_Peter »
Hi everyone, been reading the forum for a while now and finally decided to  and also currently at university so i try to get to as many games as possible , haven't done badly either.

But for some reason i keep going back despite some awful performances ala Barnsley away :cry: but it makes it worth while travelling back down to see us destroy Barnsley at home :scarf:

Anyway i am still very optimistic about us staying up despite been called deluded by some :)

So the key question is who thinks we'll stay up?

:rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Will we stay up ?
« Reply #1 on January 22, 2012, 07:17:09 pm by Mr1Croft »
Hi Peter, first of all welcome to the Forum.

I think that it isn't going to be easy, it never has been and never will. We are pretty vulnerable at the minute and we need to claim 22d as soon as possible, clinching onto 23rd will make us more desperate and if we find ourselves 24th it will be a struggle to not find it above ourselves.

I think we need to remember that there are currently two other teams asking the same question, and the team in 22nd is in the driving seat and the quicker we claim that spot the more likely staying up can become.

Do I think we'll stay up? Yes.

Would I be surprised if we went down? Probably not, as long as we go down fighting there will be hope for the future of Doncaster Rovers...

RTID_Peter

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 22, 2012, 07:34:21 pm by RTID_Peter »
Thanks for the welcome :)

I personally think if we can maintain our home form and start being more solid away from and pick points along the way , i don't think 21st is going to take long to achieve as in my opinion forest will really struggle just simply due to their inability to score more than one and can see the away game between us been crucial

:rtid:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 22, 2012, 09:00:47 pm by idler »
Hi Peter, welcome to the mad house.:laugh:
I think that it's a very close call.
We need back to back wins, 6 points from two games would make a massive difference.
We also need to beat the right teams, 3 points to us while 3 denied them.
I think it's going to be a roller coaster ride, the ones that hold their nerve best
will survive. Let's hope that it's us.:scarf:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 22, 2012, 09:41:06 pm by hoolahoop »
I'm normally the blind optimist but I now think that if we don't get 6 points out of the next 4 games then it's game over.
Are we too good to go down if that happens ? Imo we were crippled by the injuries to key personnel and at key times..............it was never about the quality merely the blend and the huge error with the keeper situation. :(
I hope I'm wrong and haven't given up on the team yet!

Rover of Arabia

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 22, 2012, 09:42:38 pm by Rover of Arabia »
We will stay up, might be a bit nervy but we will be able to reach down ad find the gear to take us to survival.:rtid:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 23, 2012, 09:33:03 am by sedwardsdrfc »
as long as we keep our home form up and play teams around us at home we have a chance but if we can just pick up a shock away win or two then we have a great chance

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 23, 2012, 09:36:55 am by benaldo »
I think it's a big, big ask now. Unless some more signings materialise next week in the form of a left back and a right back I've the opinion it's dive dive dive....which reminds me of that old (Tommy Cooper?) joke -

\"Dive dive dive\"
\"Sir, we're on a ship!\"
\"Up up up!\"

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 23, 2012, 12:04:04 pm by not on facebook »
two home defeats and i guess rovers are doomed mr mannering
their doomed

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 23, 2012, 12:08:18 pm by Donnybob »
Too early to panic yet, unless of course you don’t think Saunders is up to the task.

When he took over in September we were bottom of the table, 4 points adrift of safety with a GD of -10.

Today we’re one off the bottom but a point further away from safety with the Championship’s worst GD -22, so you might as well accept we’re currently 6 points adrift of safety.

Not sure whether that’s sufficient progress but spin the facts whichever way you like.

There are a number of positives.

After just 3 games under Saunders we were out of the bottom 3 so we can effectively write off the poor start to the season. Our season should realistically have kicked on from 1st October when we were clear of the relegation places and injured players were returning. Survival shouldn’t even have been an issue from that point on. It was in Saunders’ hands. The deficit had been recovered, the slate was wiped clean.

To bolster the players returning to fitness we then recruited umpteen allegedly ‘world class’ signings and however you dress it up the squad is currently miles stronger than it was throughout August and September. Who in their right mind wouldn’t agree that Saunders hasn’t got at his disposal the finest, most talented bunch of individuals ever to wear a Rovers shirt in living memory?

After taking 7 points in his opening 3 games we have since taken 15 points from 15 games (under Saunders). Doesn’t matter whether the early results were flukey or not – what matter is what we do in the next 19. If we secure a similar total from Sunders second 18 games we will be heading into the final game on just 45 points, which, even with a win at home against Ipswich on the final day probably won’t be enough.

Those final two fixtures are beginning to look rather ominous though; Coventry away, Ipswich home. If Saunders’ nerve holds there’s still half a chance that staying up could be in our own hands.

Unfortunately there are negatives.

I would have expected more from a squad this good. Six consecutive away defeats doesn’t fill me with any kind of optimism for the next six on the road against Hull, Palace, Leeds, Forest, West Ham and Southampton. Not when we’ve failed to keep a single clean sheet away from home this season.

On the road Saunders appears to be out of his depth in the Championship. Constantly blaming referees for his team’s failings begins to wear a bit thin. A team of this calibre simply should not be getting beat every time nor shipping so many goals.

And will Diouf still be here in February? What about Billy? What impact on morale and belief will the loss of just one of these players have? Still, only a week to go before the window closes. But how many of the loan stars' contracts are up in the next few weeks – what then?

The outcome of this season is still finely balanced. It’s too early to tell but I have grave concerns about Saunders’ leadership abilities and experience in a dog fight. If he stands up to the plate then we might escape. Heart hopes we can do it. Head says were in deep shit...

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 23, 2012, 12:33:16 pm by benaldo »
Correct Donnybob (and a hooray for your presence). If you want to look at it like that then I guess if the first 7 games of the season had gone the same way as the rest we'd not even be in the relegation zone would we?

And if Billy leaves, and Diouf, who's to say that Bamogo isn't the next big thing? OR that Willie won't find us someone of equal, if not better talents to replace them?

You ask \"what then?\" regarding contracts. As far as I'm aware, Beye want's to stay for the season, ditto Button, Bamogo has signed for the season, ditto Bagayoko, ditto Plessis. So we're talking about whom? Diouf, Chimbonda?, erm.....that's it?

OK, so Rovers aren't out of danger and it's starting to look desperate to me when you can't even beat Bristol, but it's not over yet and we've all seen how this team is really coming together and becoming something new, different, exciting, tough, fit, hard working, organised and generally adopting all the things a new manager wants to change.

I believe Saunders has equipped the team with the single most important things to have in your armoury when in a relegation fight - Fitness and desire. We know they have the skill (now that a lot of the dead wood - Friend et al - aren't featuring) to keep us up.

Hang in there Donnybob, if we get relegated I'll buy you a drink.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 23, 2012, 01:01:13 pm by ditch_drfc »
I'm going to answer honestly. I don't think we will stay up. I'm unbelievably hopeful of it, but i can't see it happening. It won't be the worst thing that can happen to us. A few seasons in League 1 may help to get some supporters back. . .

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 23, 2012, 01:03:27 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"ditch_drfc\" post=214673
I'm going to answer honestly. I don't think we will stay up. I'm unbelievably hopeful of it, but i can't see it happening. It won't be the worst thing that can happen to us. A few seasons in League 1 may help to get some supporters back. . .

Eh?? :ohmy:

If Rovers get relegated, don't expect the crowds to go up, they'll be heading downwards!

How anyone can hope for relegation is utterly beyond me.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 23, 2012, 01:44:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Eh?? :ohmy:

If Rovers get relegated, don't expect the crowds to go up, they'll be heading downwards!

How anyone can hope for relegation is utterly beyond me.[/quote]

if we are top of the league and hammering everyone then i think crowds will be the same if not better. dont think we will hammer everyone though

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 23, 2012, 01:51:31 pm by Mr1Croft »
I read ditch's post as he thinks we will go down, he is hoping we stay up but being realistic (in his view) relegation is possible, as you said yourself Benaldo on Saturday. He them states that if we go down (assuming we launch a promotion bid) some fans may come flocking back.

I didn't read that as someone wishing we were relegated, and if you did Benaldo what is the difference between that and your \"the season is over\" post?

I don't know what will happen, were beginning to look desperate away from home and we have to ask ourselves, are we gonna get more points than Millwall, Forest and Coventry, if we don't think so, then League one it is...

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 23, 2012, 01:54:53 pm by benaldo »
The difference is in the language.

\"I think we're going down\" - Meaning? I think we're going down. Does this mean \"I hope we go down\"? Erm...no.

I'm not saying that Ditch_drfc wants Rovers to be relegated (again, check language) I said that for anyone to want Rovers to be relegated is beyond me. Don't think that was aimed at anyone in particular, but when it is I'll be sure to make that perfectly clear....as always. :welcome:

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 23, 2012, 03:20:23 pm by Milepostuk »
Not unless someone can come up with a method of picking up a few points away from home!

Elginred

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 23, 2012, 03:38:06 pm by Elginred »
To answer your question.
Not a chance of staying up with Dean Saunders in charge. He is totally out of his depth for this and probably the league we are heading to.
The way he sets his teams up for away matches is laughable and is no coincidence that we average 3 goals conceded per away match. On Saturday he had no idea how to change his team or formation to try and salvage a point. It took an excellent team goal to get back into the game.
I know that we had decisions go against us during the game but I never felt confident that Saunders would work any magic.
Before the game v Bristol, we all knew about Bristols wide players, how come Saunders and co didn't? No protection for Spurr or O'Connor, you simply can't set a team out like he does for away matches at this level.
I will probably be slated for this post but I'm just saying it how I and many others I'm sure see things.
I'm still fiercely proud to be a Rovers fan and travel a long way to watch them and I will continue for years to come.
I hope that I get proved wrong!
Viva Rovers.
Rovers til I die.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 23, 2012, 03:49:39 pm by ditch_drfc »
I never said I wanted us to go down. I don't, I hope with every ounce of hope that i have, that we stay up! I'd love us to stay up! I really would. Nothing would make me happier. But realistically i don't think it will happen.

I think our problem lies within the players attitude after a good performance. To me it seems like we will play really well, winning or drawing, then go to the next game thinking \"oh we won that one, let's relax a bit\", and end up relaxing in the game and losing.

I also have a problem with the players attitudes off of the pitch. I've said it before. I love Billy Sharp! But you know, you don't see David Beckham posing for pictures off of the pitch with packs of lager with his team mates. As Sharp did recently with oster. I get the impression a lot of our players like a good drink off of the pitch, and to be honest it doesn't help with their performance on the pitch.

And when i said i think if we go down, crowds may go up, i based this on the logic that we will be one of the big teams in League 1. Teams will want to beat us. We will most likely get some good pre season fixtures as well, maybe a couple of prem teams. And i think this will boost crowds. We'll become the big team in league 1, not the small team in the championship... Now do you see where i'm coming from?

Sorry for the essay, tbf I hardly ever write that much on here... ;)

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 23, 2012, 03:50:29 pm by benaldo »
I heard that the \"excellent team goal which got us back into the game\" was put in the net by one of Saunders players..... fancy that eh?

And what \"protection\" for such quality players as OConnor and Spurr was needed? If Coppinger and Gillett weren't good enough, who else had you in mind at the club (apart from Plessis, who I hope we'll see very soon and every game until the end of the season)? Keegan?

Thing is, Saunders went for the win. The sending off changed everything, which wasn't Saunders fault, and according to people at the game it wasn't Beye's fault either. Saunders has been trying to get fairly average players to do something different - work hard, close down the opposition, get fit, earn your money - some have taken to it better than others - Hird, Bennett for example. Other players have come in and mostly been a big hit but still, they can't be expected to gel overnight. I fully expect Rovers to include Plessis in their next match at the expense of Gillett and I think that'll see a big change. Our full backs too need to be looked at, especially OConnor.

Still, things are getting better, not worse.

EDIT - to pick up on your really good point ditch_drfc about drinking. I reckon that posting pictures continuously of you and your colleagues drinking alcohol and having a laugh is possibly the worst bit of thinking or PR that the club could do other than send us all letters saying \"Thanks for your cash losers, we're going to make sure the players piss it up the wall even though they are professional sportsmen. We know things are bad and instead of our players taking it seriously and committing to keeping in the best shape possible, we've told them all to go on the lash as often as they can and have a good laugh\"

It winds me up to see well paid professional sportsmen getting drunk on a regular basis when every single scientific study has shown alcohol does not one bit of good for them. It's like sticking two fingers up at their careers and us. And it shows you how seriously they take their jobs doesn't it........

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 23, 2012, 03:55:26 pm by ditch_drfc »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=214687
The difference is in the language.

\"I think we're going down\" - Meaning? I think we're going down. Does this mean \"I hope we go down\"? Erm...no.

I'm not saying that Ditch_drfc wants Rovers to be relegated (again, check language) I said that for anyone to want Rovers to be relegated is beyond me. Don't think that was aimed at anyone in particular, but when it is I'll be sure to make that perfectly clear....as always. :welcome:

Not quite sure what you're on about there... What's with the whole saying the difference is in the language?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 23, 2012, 03:58:52 pm by benaldo »
Just 1croft on one of his pedant crusades, trying to put words into my mouth. Not a go at you in any way shape or form.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 23, 2012, 04:01:32 pm by ditch_drfc »
Oh right ok.

And yeah, it really annoys me when i go on twitter and see the players getting wasted whilst watching darts, or getting wasted in town. Really winds me up. It's as much about what they do on the pitch as what they do off the pitch. To me anyway

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 23, 2012, 04:51:15 pm by Mr1Croft »
Pedant crusades, don't flatter yourself Benny. Your not that important that I spend my days swearing my oath to the protection against all things Benaldo.

You just happened to quote ditch and then say \"How anyone can hope for relegation is utterly beyond me.\" If that isn't relevant to Ditch's comment then it is very misleading, and if it isn't relevant why post it?

GloucesterRover31

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 23, 2012, 05:54:26 pm by GloucesterRover31 »
Hello everyone
 I have been sat reading the comments on the forum for a few years now and thought it was time to get involved. In my opinion, staying in the championship for a long period of time is and always will be difficult for the Rovers for the following reasons:
Firstly we are one of only four clubs not to have played in the premier league, now I am totally against the premiership being the be all and end all of English football but the sad fact is that for the last 20 years the FA, TV coverage and sponsorship deals have all been fully aimed that way. Any club that spends one season gaining 0 points in the top flight would stand to earn 60million more than Doncaster ever have in the history of the club. Also because of this fact there are a minimum of 20 other teams in our division and 7 teams in divisions bellow with a higher profile, unfortunately the great football we watched and were respected for under o’driscol and the resurgence witnessed under Mr. Penny doesn’t mean much in the world of football, when we haven’t mixed it in the premiership and haven’t the money subsequent to this.
Another point to add to this is that 2 of the other 3 clubs that haven’t graced the premiership have a management team that has huge relevant links and friendships with top premiership clubs and managers. I am of course talking about Peterborough and Brighton, because of this they do not face as much of an uphill battle like we do in securing loans and discounted players. And the cost for them hasn’t been as much. This is why I believe John Ryan has turned to Willie MacKay. Obviously the two points above are just my opinion. But taken into account it shows that not even John Ryan, one of the best salesman in this part of the country has been able to sell this club to decent players for some time. In fairness he hasn’t been able to sell the club to the good people of south Yorkshire Doncaster included, Leeds, Barnsley, Sheff U and Wednesdays get a higher crowd which again links back to my premiership profile point.
This brings me onto my next point; out of 24 teams Rovers are 22nd in the average attendance records. Meaning that they don’t even gain the same amount of stranded income that the teams they are already competing with financially do.
 In my opinion unless this changes the Rovers will always be doing well to compete at this level, if football was all about football we would have been in the top half of the premiership in the last three years but unfortunately since 1992 football has been all about business/money. And unless we gamble or adopt a new business policy (Willie McKay) or some money man comes in we could end up a Woolworths or Darlington. So to answer the question do I think we will stay up? Maybe this season but not for another two. Even so I will continue to watch the Rovers with the excitement and surreal ups and downs that premiership clubs could only dream of experiencing

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 23, 2012, 06:55:44 pm by madmick50 »
No.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 23, 2012, 07:10:29 pm by The Red Baron »
Well, I'll keep believing that we can stay up until it is mathematically impossible. However, the heart is telling me one thing and the head another.

To be honest, I thought we'd be relegated before a ball was kicked this season, because for all sorts of reasons we don't have the financial wherewithal to survive at this level for very long. (By the way, that isn't a dig at John Ryan or other members of the Board.) What I did believe is that if/when we went down that we had a manager who would stabilise the club and within a season or two put us in the position to have another go at the Championship. Now, I fear we will go into freefall if we do go down.

madmick50

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 23, 2012, 07:47:49 pm by madmick50 »
What I did believe is that if/when we went down that we had a manager who would stabilise the club and within a season or two put us in the position to have another go at the Championship. Now, I fear we will go into freefall if we do go down.

I agree.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 23, 2012, 07:51:03 pm by Wellred »
yawnnnnnnnnnnn

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 23, 2012, 07:54:47 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=214824
yawnnnnnnnnnnn

If you're tired go to bed. Old gits like you need their sleep. ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012