Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:56:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Diouf  (Read 14616 times)

whisky

• Forum Member
Re: Diouf
« Reply #120 on February 20, 2012, 02:11:19 pm by whisky »
Diouf is the most important player we have right now. He is the only player we have with the skill and vision to play good balls that put our strikers in goal scoring positions. I dread to think how many goal scoring opportunities we would create without Diouf in the side.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on February 20, 2012, 02:12:56 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"whisky\" post=221270
Diouf is the most important player we have right now. He is the only player we have with the skill and vision to play good balls that put our strikers in goal scoring positions. I dread to think how many goal scoring opportunities we would create without Diouf in the side.

I agree with that. But I don't agree with the comments that suggest he is some kind of world class player. And comparing him to someone like Drogba is really clutching at straws.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on February 20, 2012, 02:13:08 pm by Wild Rover »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221266
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221265
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221261
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221252
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221244
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221242
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221177
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221176
There is no discussion to be had Diouf is the finest player in the history of the club!

How anyone can have moan about him is based of media perception.

My understanding is he was the VICTIM on Saturday and hopefully he will press charges!

Clearly there is a discussion, as the thread is over 5 pages long.
I disagree. I'm sure those who saw King Alick play will be of the opinion Diouf wasn't fit to lace his boots!

Diouf is a world famous superstar simples .....

Alick was very popular granted but given his career was cut short, did not achieve anything great did he?

You are letting your heart rule your head and no doubt the negative media headlines!

Beckham is a world famous superstar. Diouf isn't. The only reason Diouf is famous is because if his past antics!

Have you seen Diouf play? Can you give me an objective opinion of his ability (not what you have read in the media)!

I have, and I am not saying he hasn't got talent. But he isn't a world famous superstar. And all his antics in the media are true. That is a fact, and this has probably stopped him from progressing in his career.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is fantastic he is in our team, but he isn't as good as some are making out. Nor can I believe he is being compared to Drogba. Drogba is far superior and his ahcieved far more.

Drogba has achieved more because of Chelsea, in all other respects they have parity.

EHD is of course 3 years younger.

You do talk rubbish sometimes Frosty

And ask yourself why Diouf has never played at a club like Chelsea. And then look at Drogba's scoring record. Seriously. Comparing Drogba to Diouf is insane.

He did play at a club like Chelsea .....Liverpool. And you know as well as i Drogba is and always was a striker, EHD is a forward midfield player who can play as striker.

Thats like comparing BS with James Coppinger. I know who has most skill, but goalscorer he aint.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on February 20, 2012, 02:14:36 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221273
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221266
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221265
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221261
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221252
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221244
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221242
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221177
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221176
There is no discussion to be had Diouf is the finest player in the history of the club!

How anyone can have moan about him is based of media perception.

My understanding is he was the VICTIM on Saturday and hopefully he will press charges!

Clearly there is a discussion, as the thread is over 5 pages long.
I disagree. I'm sure those who saw King Alick play will be of the opinion Diouf wasn't fit to lace his boots!

Diouf is a world famous superstar simples .....

Alick was very popular granted but given his career was cut short, did not achieve anything great did he?

You are letting your heart rule your head and no doubt the negative media headlines!

Beckham is a world famous superstar. Diouf isn't. The only reason Diouf is famous is because if his past antics!

Have you seen Diouf play? Can you give me an objective opinion of his ability (not what you have read in the media)!

I have, and I am not saying he hasn't got talent. But he isn't a world famous superstar. And all his antics in the media are true. That is a fact, and this has probably stopped him from progressing in his career.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is fantastic he is in our team, but he isn't as good as some are making out. Nor can I believe he is being compared to Drogba. Drogba is far superior and his ahcieved far more.

Drogba has achieved more because of Chelsea, in all other respects they have parity.

EHD is of course 3 years younger.

You do talk rubbish sometimes Frosty

And ask yourself why Diouf has never played at a club like Chelsea. And then look at Drogba's scoring record. Seriously. Comparing Drogba to Diouf is insane.

He did play at a club like Chelsea .....Liverpool. And you know as well as i Drogba is and always was a striker, EHD is a forward midfield player who can play as striker.

Thats like comparing BS with James Coppinger. I know who has most skill, but goalscorer he aint.

And how long did his career last at Liverpool? And what medals did he win? One League Cup medial if memory serves me right. If he was in the same league as Drogba he would have spent is career playing in the Champions League and at a team regularly at the top of the league.

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on February 20, 2012, 02:24:54 pm by Wade Falana »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221263
Ok frosty, give me some players who can be compared to diouf that have played for us in last 25 years. Not players that used to be good either. Players that were better than diouf in a rovers shirt

For what its worth Dickos I think Diouf is a class act, whether its because the rest of our team is poor i don't know. But although he's been good, has he really been that good?

Think of all the players we've had playing at the top of their game with us. I'd much rather have Richie Wellens, Matt Mills, Billy Sharp and probably even McIndoe in his first season with us. I'd swop him in an instance for Mark Rankine, Rufus, Mike Jeffery or Kieron Brady.

Good player deffo, Rovers great? I'm not sure yet although if he keeps up us we can re name the ground The El Hadji stadium for all I care.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on February 20, 2012, 02:39:25 pm by Wild Rover »
And that means what exactly......probably manager didn't like him.

What it does say is that no matter how good an individual player is the team around him makes him a success or failure. Berbatov scored for fun at Spurs and won nothing, moved to Man Utd, scored a few in one season, gets about 10 starts a season, but look how many medals he has now. Just the opposite of the Liverpool great but Chelsea flop that is Fernando Torres. ( is he not a world cup and european championship winner ). Medals dont make a player better or worse than any other, just that they played in more sucesful sides.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on February 20, 2012, 02:42:37 pm by vaya »
Mark McCammon has an FA Cup losers medal.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on February 20, 2012, 03:02:19 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221264
Sharp for one.
I also thought Fortune looked a better player in the short time he was with us.

But I was responding to the comment that he isn't the best EVER. I never once commented on the last 25 years.

Sharp totally different player and his game was about putting ball in net.

If you are assessing touch, awareness main ingredients, Billy does not fit into same bracket (I am sure he would admit).

He spat on few occasions and that affecting your judgement on clearly a world class footballer!

Please please do not get moralistc with regards footballers cos none of them are Saints!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on February 20, 2012, 03:04:23 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221284
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221264
Sharp for one.
I also thought Fortune looked a better player in the short time he was with us.

But I was responding to the comment that he isn't the best EVER. I never once commented on the last 25 years.

Sharp totally different player and his game was about putting ball in net.

If you are assessing touch, awareness main ingredients, Billy does not fit into same bracket (I am sure he would admit).

He spat on few occasions and that affecting your judgement on clearly a world class footballer!

Please please do not get moralistc with regards footballers cos none of them are Saints!

He isn't world class though. Messi is world class. He's a good footballer at this level. That's it.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on February 20, 2012, 03:15:08 pm by The L J Monk »
Technically Diouf is the best player I have ever seen for Rovers. Give him the ball and invariably he will not give it away. You can question his attitude, work-rate, whatever you like, but ability wise I've not seen a better player for us.

Prior to Diouf I thought Tierney in League Two was the best I'd seen in this respect. Before he got injured he was absolute class, but that was effectively the fourth tier. Wellens in League One also deserves a mention.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on February 20, 2012, 03:15:23 pm by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"vaya\" post=221280
Mark McCammon has an FA Cup losers medal.

Mark Wilson has a Champions League winners medal!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on February 20, 2012, 03:16:34 pm by dickos1 »
He's played 11 games, just have a look in those games and see how many of the goals he either assisted or scored. It's frightening. Rankine, brevett etc are rovers legends but they were pulling up trees in the bottom divisions, as for fortune I agree he could of been better than diouf, but only played 3 or 4 games.
Wellens possibly, mills not for me

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on February 20, 2012, 03:18:09 pm by Wild Rover »
Dont talk out of your ass Frosty. EHD has been voted African Player of the Year twice, he is in the list off 100 all time greats in world cup. At his peak he was world class. And he is THE BEST PLAYER to represent DRFC in last 25 years, and ONE of the best of all time ( bearing in mind the leagues DRFC played in when some so called greats played ).

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on February 20, 2012, 03:21:16 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=221290
Dont talk out of your ass Frosty. EHD has been voted African Player of the Year twice, he is in the list off 100 all time greats in world cup. At his peak he was world class. And he is THE BEST PLAYER to represent DRFC in last 25 years, and ONE of the best of all time ( bearing in mind the leagues DRFC played in when some so called greats played ).

Diouf is not world class. And never has been. End of.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on February 20, 2012, 03:27:59 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221291

Ok so how do you get to be twice african footballer of year and Pele best of all time then?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on February 20, 2012, 03:29:55 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=221292

Ok so how do you get to be twice african footballer of year and Pele best of all time then?

Like someone has said already, Pele was a good player but his knowledge isn't the best.
African player of the year indicates there wasn't much else to choose from.

When making a statement like world class, you're putting Diouf in the same class as Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham, Rooney etc. He has never been anywhere near that level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on February 20, 2012, 03:40:28 pm by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"MrFrost\" post=221293

Like someone has said already, Pele was a good player but his knowledge isn't the best.

When making a statement like world class, you're putting Diouf in the same class as Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham, Rooney etc. He has never been anywhere near that level.

Brilliant frosty, nobody else to choose from.. Eto came 3rd, you do talk some garbage what's happened to the iq on here? He also got in the team of the 2002 world cup, that must be due to a lack of choice too.:thumbsup:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on February 20, 2012, 03:44:47 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221294

Brilliant frosty, nobody else to choose from.. Eto came 3rd, you do talk some garbage what's happened to the iq on here? He also got in the team of the 2002 world cup, that must be due to a lack of choice too.:thumbsup:

Also in that team of 2002 was Yoo Sang-Chul. World Class. I think not.

At least i'm not suggesting Diouf is compariable to other players mentioned in this thread. I've never heard such biased bullshit in all my life!

Like I said he is a good player, but nowhere near as good as some on here are making out.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on February 20, 2012, 03:45:58 pm by dickos1 »
By the way, I'm not for one minute suggesting he's world class now, but 8,9,10 years ago he certainly was.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on February 20, 2012, 03:46:08 pm by Wild Rover »

Not much to choose from eh. Didier Drogba won it just after EHD twice, George Weah won it just Before EHD twice, Just because the players are African, and they are voted African player of the year does not mean they are not world class, as clearly they are.

Past winners

Samuel Eto'o
Weah
Abedi Pelé
Drogba
Milla
N´Kono
Kanu
Diouf

Not a bad selection of players to be amongst, even to your subjective mind.

stokerover

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on February 20, 2012, 03:46:47 pm by stokerover »
Frostys right in my opinion. Its alright quoting Dioufs awards and teams his played for...but since the World Cup and being signed for Liverpool his career has been in constant decline.

If he focused on playing football and not trying to entertain, blowing kisses and dancing to the Leeds fans singing to him \"Your wifes a slut\" then he could be a class act.

But he's not gonna change for the sake of Donny Rovers, is he...

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on February 20, 2012, 03:49:36 pm by MrFrost »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=221299
By the way, I'm not for one minute suggesting he's world class now, but 8,9,10 years ago he certainly was.

Fair enough, but in my view, a true world class player Would be someone like Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham in his prime.

Diouf was probably held back somehwat with his off the field issue's. He is certainly our best currently player, and don't deny that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on February 20, 2012, 03:59:58 pm by dickos1 »

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on February 20, 2012, 04:34:53 pm by Old Popsider »
What a long read!! Well can we all agree to disagree on the whole subject and move on.........please.

For the record - I like Diouf as a player. He can boss the team around if he thinks they need it. Hope he stays a little longer. :scarf:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012