Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:52:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Robbie Fowler  (Read 11908 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Robbie Fowler
« Reply #90 on March 07, 2012, 11:31:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
Ok, enough's enough. Following this post I'll delete any non-related posts. For those who want to carry on this other discussion, please start a new thread.

And remember, like he-man - I have the power :evil:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on March 08, 2012, 12:01:37 am by donnyroversfc »
Im neither a tosser nor a Wum, but if you want to think that then be my guest! (sorry BJM i just wanted to say that).

Whether we think Fowler would be a good signing or bad, probably wont matter, because if Blackpool cant afford his wages then neither can we. More than likely just made up by the papers and we aren't even after him. We have signed a few 30+ yr olds on frees and obviouly Barmby has links with Fowler so they've just linked us both with him.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on March 08, 2012, 12:42:05 am by Standanista »
Quote from: \"Scooter\" post=225270
Dear donnyroverfc

Please stop hijacking this thread. I have finished a 14 hour shift still buzzing after last night's nerve-wracking win. I heard a rumour about robbie fowler which through excitement i thought i would check out before going to bed, only to find this thread repeatedly hijacked by arguments and opinions which have previously been done to death.
Last night could be the major turning point and winning could become a habit. It has been a tough season and we as a club are in major transition but can we please enjoy at least 24 hours of good times without created unnecessary negativity.
Yes of course everyone is welcome to their opinions but Saunders managed the team to a win and McKay's players put some effort in. Their reaction at fulltime reignited the hope in me that we will remain a championship club.

Personally I'm not sure how much impact fowler would have with diouf and piquionne but if he signed and scored twice (say the winner against portsmouth and against coventry i would be delirious)

Keep the faith
Bring on the hammers

Many thanks

Scooter

Hear hear.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not so sure Fowler would be much good for us other than for the publicity, much as I enjoyed watching the guy play in his prime.  I'm on old work/drinking mate of his uncle, who was understandably proud as punch every Monday morning when he was banging 'em in for Liverpool youth and reserves, so from around 1990 (when I started working with the guy) I feel I've been forced to keep an unavoidable track on Robbie's career, because Cliff would never shut up about him. :)  Ergo, it'd be great to see Fowler come in, have a final swan song at Rovers and do an Ernie Moss for a season, but I just think he's too old for this level these days.

I think his performances in the A-League are pretty telling.  I know I'm not alone on this board in having watched a fair few A-League games over the last few years (and even met a few fellow Donny fans in the hoops at Sydney FC matches).  Fowler averaged pretty much a goal every three games for both North Queensland and Perth, not a bad return you may say.  However, the standard of the A-League really ain't all that high.  It's certainly some way below Championship level, and I reckon most L1 teams would compete comfortably.  Add to that that at both clubs he was the \"marquee\" player - outside the salary cap, so he was meant to be better than the rest - plus the fact that he's now a year older still, and counting, and I just think it's all a bit too big an ask.

As I said, I'd LOVE it if he came and did an Ernie Moss for us for a season or so and I was proven entirely wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on March 08, 2012, 03:57:55 am by RoversAlias »
I'm not feeding the troll anymore, I strongly suggest everybody else follow suit and the guy will just go away as he will become bored of talking to himself.

Robbie Fowler, remember him? Another reason why I'd love us to sign him is so we can get \"Jesus Saves...and Fowler knocks in the rebound\" posters plastered all around Donny.

He has turned down Blackpool reportedly because they offered him a mere £100 a week! We can better that!

Let's stay on topic now shall we.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on March 08, 2012, 04:01:21 am by Standanista »
Agreed.  Good man.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on March 08, 2012, 08:24:07 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"donnyroversfc\" post=225194

Because one is not good enough to be here. The other is someone who i don't like or trust and is, some would say (NOT ME!) Dodgy. He's had petitions to remove him from football and also had a suspended ban over a transfer dealing. He's here to make money out of us (his own admission) and our club are happy to do that while being hypocritical with the transfer plan we currently employ.

What is the problem with that?

I work for my employer to make money....doesnt mean Im not going to do the best job I can for them.

Im not the biggest McKay fan by a long shot...but he's delivering the goods right now and I admire his honesty

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on March 08, 2012, 09:22:50 am by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"donnyroversfc\" post=225169
Doesn't matter what level it is, he had success there and (naturally) progressed to a bigger, better and richer club and had even more success.

I'm joining this late so don't know if this was already posted but Team Bath were bankrolled beyond belief with University funds. There was an excellent expose run on them in WSC about 3 years ago.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on March 08, 2012, 10:16:37 am by inSODwetrust »
Dean Saunders got the job at DRFC without going through an interview process, and because he is Willie McKays friend, I'm still sticking to my belief that if we'd have held an interview process with the Willie McKay plan incorperated, we would have a better manager by now, and be in a more comfortable position.

I saw Robbie Fowler when he was on Soccer AM the other week, and I immediateley thought \"He's the sort of player we could/should go for\".

We could surely get him for less than £2000p/w?!
He would surely be happy to play for a Championship team for the remaining 13 games of a season?!
Probably good friends with Saunders?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on March 08, 2012, 10:19:06 am by dickos1 »
Someone else who portrays their opinion as a fact

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on March 08, 2012, 10:21:23 am by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=225312

Tell us what happened then Dean, you know, behind the scenes, the day you got the phone call. Please.

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on March 08, 2012, 10:25:15 am by adge »
it seems that blackpool offered £100 per week and £5000 per game
and say he is five weeks away from full match fitness

he turned that down

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on March 08, 2012, 10:27:24 am by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"inSODwetrust\" post=225313
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=225312

Tell us what happened then Dean, you know, behind the scenes, the day you got the phone call. Please.

Your comedy just gets better and better and better.. :suicide:

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on March 08, 2012, 10:30:18 am by Wild Rover »
Quote from: \"inSODwetrust\" post=225310
Dean Saunders got the job at DRFC without going through an interview process, and because he is Willie McKays friend, I'm still sticking to my belief that if we'd have held an interview process with the Willie McKay plan incorperated, we would have a better manager by now, and be in a more comfortable position.

I saw Robbie Fowler when he was on Soccer AM the other week, and I immediateley thought \"He's the sort of player we could/should go for\".

He would surely be happy to play for a Championship team for the remaining 13 games of a season?!

Dean saunders was interviewed , JR Went to his home to do it.Dont for one minute think Your god of a manager was sacked on Thursday and DS appointed within an hour, and DS was on short list of 3 approached, each interviewed.
Robbie Fowler is far away from Match fit, and would take a month to get there, and as for 2K a week or less, dream on, 5K a match and a retainer of 100 a week was offered by Blackpool.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on March 08, 2012, 10:32:23 am by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=225318

Dean saunders was interviewed , JR Went to his home to do it.Dont for one minute think Your god of a manager was sacked on Thursday and DS appointed within an hour, and DS was on short list of 3 approached, each interviewed.
Robbie Fowler is far away from Match fit, and would take a month to get there, and as for 2K a week or less, dream on, 5K a match and a retainer of 100 a week was offered by Blackpool.

So, why on the Thursday did John Ryan publically back SOD, then the next day he's gone and within hours Saunders is in Donny?

Lokks like we're not getting Fowler then, so yet again, another pointless thread.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on March 08, 2012, 11:21:27 am by Wild Rover »
That is a simple one to answer, if JR was unable to get someone in why would he not publically back O'Driscoll, as it happened he did find someone, but if you think DRFC did the sacking of SOD and employment of Saunders on a \"Whim\" and at such short notice, think again. The \"Board\" had been looking for some considerable time believe me.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on March 08, 2012, 11:28:15 am by inSODwetrust »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=225328
That is a simple one to answer, if JR was unable to get someone in why would he not publically back O'Driscoll, as it happened he did find someone, but if you think DRFC did the sacking of SOD and employment of Saunders on a \"Whim\" and at such short notice, think again. The \"Board\" had been looking for some considerable time believe me.

Fair enough.

Can I just say I am not 'in love' with SOD, I think we will stay up because we have some more than winnable home games coming up (I said this on a previous thread over a month ago), I DO NOT want us to get relegated, and if we did I would not be in the 'I told you so brigade', I support and have supported the Willie McKay strategy pretty much from the start.

My belief was that Saunders did not have an interview etc (probably because of the way it was portrayed in the media), but if you're sure he did, which you do seem sure, then fair enough.
:rtid:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on March 08, 2012, 11:33:27 am by sedwardsdrfc »
honestly though it really looks like there wernt interviews carried out but i am reasonably happy with saunders so cant complain too much.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on March 08, 2012, 11:57:26 am by roverssam1879 »
being a boyhood liverpool fan in my early days off watching the game i idolised Robbie Fowler, used to have his name on the back of my shirts, was heartbroken when he buggerd off. i cant think of a better combination of wearing my rovers shirt with robbie fowler on the back.... for that alone, hes worth signing imo !!!:scarf:

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on March 08, 2012, 12:25:00 pm by Red wizard »
Quote from: \"inSODwetrust\" post=225320
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=225318

So, why on the Thursday did John Ryan publically back SOD, then the next day he's gone and within hours Saunders is in Donny?
That Jr interview was done on the Monday and went on air Tuesday.
Lokks like we're not getting Fowler then, so yet again, another pointless thread.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on March 08, 2012, 01:00:28 pm by jonnydog »
Sorry, got to be done...

[attachment=1073]rf.jpg[/attachment]

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on March 08, 2012, 01:19:37 pm by drfc1951 »
Yet another topic hijacked by people who cannot get over Sod.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on March 08, 2012, 01:30:11 pm by donnyroversfc »
Since when has this been about people not getting over SOD? You keep telling yourself that! This thread didn't go off topic because of me either before anyone says anything!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on March 08, 2012, 01:44:37 pm by bpoolrover »
the local paper and radio around here say fleetwood town want him

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on March 08, 2012, 01:53:45 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"bpoolrover\" post=225352
the local paper and radio around here say fleetwood town want him

For 5k a game they can have him! No wonder he's as rich as he is if even when he's old and past it he can still demand so much!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012