Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 05:03:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 3p  (Read 2272 times)

GM-MarkB

3p
« on March 21, 2012, 06:18:49 pm by GM-MarkB »
Another hike in fuel duty after today.....i'm seriously thinking I might have to ditch my car. Now granted, it's my choice to own a Focus ST with it's 2.5 litre engine, but it will mean that Asda will be selling it's unleaded water at at least £1.38.7 and my local robbing git filling station (the one by the Paddock in Cantley) will be peddling their 95RON at at least £1.44.9 a litre !

It doesn't matter what you drive, the cost of running it is getting ridiculous :(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

I-was-there1976

Re: 3p
« Reply #1 on March 21, 2012, 07:00:55 pm by I-was-there1976 »
The govt (whoever is in) make me laugh when they do the \"if you re this ,this and this you ll be £3.23 better off a week)

Then fuel goes up willy nilly and my £3.23 a week is worth jack shit

Im glad fags have sky rocketed though. Should be £20 a packet

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 21, 2012, 07:36:15 pm by River Don »
Yes I notice he sneaked the 3p on fuel without anyone noticing too much by saying they wouldn't do anything other than what had already been announced.

I'm looking to buy a bike.

The most fuel efficient car on sale in the UK is a little KIA by the way.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #3 on March 21, 2012, 08:16:25 pm by GM-MarkB »
When you consider that only about 60p of the 144.9 is the price of the fuel....oooooooh f**k me :cry:

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 21, 2012, 08:26:24 pm by jucyberry »
I don't have a car, never learned to drive, so this isn't one of my stupid questions ok.

If petrol is so much a litre how much is it a gallon? Asking cos as a kid I remember that was how it was bought, and isn't it bought like that any more?

GM-MarkB

« Reply #5 on March 21, 2012, 08:40:00 pm by GM-MarkB »
If I bought it from my local Deb, it would be about £6.59 a gallon

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 21, 2012, 09:12:35 pm by jucyberry »
And in an average car , how far can you go on a gallon? and how many gallons to the average tank?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 21, 2012, 10:18:07 pm by River Don »
Quote from: \"jucyberry\" post=228381
And in an average car , how far can you go on a gallon? and how many gallons to the average tank?

Depends whether you drive more in town or on motorways and how you drive. Probably about 35mpg.

Some modern cars are getting quite a bit more now.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 21, 2012, 10:26:19 pm by mushRTID »
I went in an electric car the other week. Nissan Leaf i believe it was.

Really impressed. I cant remember the figures the guy gave me but for city driving it saves so much more, no tax.

It was also just as nippy as a normal car, when he put his foot down it went!!!

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 21, 2012, 10:32:39 pm by jucyberry »
I know they might seem odd questions, but I was thinking of bus fares.. I live 13 miles from Kings Lynn, a return costs £5.10. I was curious as to the price of petrol against public transport..

I have to say, when you add on tax, insurance and maintenance, pound for pound I think I'm rather glad I don't drive..I know you can argue drivers have more freedoms, but they also have far more costs.. There are buses and I totally love trains

I don't think I'd even bother learning if I ever won the lottery tbh..

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 21, 2012, 10:44:29 pm by River Don »
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=228405
I went in an electric car the other week. Nissan Leaf i believe it was.

Really impressed. I cant remember the figures the guy gave me but for city driving it saves so much more, no tax.

It was also just as nippy as a normal car, when he put his foot down it went!!!

In the end though the batteries only allow these cars to be practical if you do small millages about town.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 22, 2012, 09:08:42 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Our Citroen Picasso will do aroun 43 mpg in town and nudges 60 on the motorway etc.

What annoys me is how Diesel has become considerably more expensive than unleaded - it isnt that many years ago it was cheaper. I would like someone to justify why this is the case when you pull more per gallon out of a Diesel engine.

As a comparison arent people fuming in the U.S. over  potential increases to $3.00 dollars a gallon! Work that out on the exchange rate - maybe its time UK PLC applied to become an American state?

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 22, 2012, 09:59:05 am by jucyberry »
I thought we all ready were. We have been playing double dutch with the US on one side of the rope and Europe on the other for years.. they say jump, we say how high?

I did quite a bit of investigating into electric motors for the fella a few years ago, it's suprising how many delivery firms use electric motors.. TNT ect, so they must be fairly efficient I guess.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #13 on March 22, 2012, 03:04:31 pm by GM-MarkB »
And now we have Hot Pie & Pastie Tax too.....:suicide:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 22, 2012, 09:17:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's really expensive that people can't afford but they still have 2L+ engines and drive at 85+ on the motorway.  I get do about 350 miles a week spending £42 a week on petrol, that's not really that excessive when you think about it, I managed to save about a fiver a week by changing how I drive so it can be done.  I wouldn't mind a better car but to be honest mine's reliable, looks alright and does what I need so why change it to one that'd just cost me more?

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 23, 2012, 12:17:41 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=228710
It's really expensive that people can't afford but they still have 2L+ engines and drive at 85+ on the motorway.  I get do about 350 miles a week spending £42 a week on petrol, that's not really that excessive when you think about it, I managed to save about a fiver a week by changing how I drive so it can be done.  I wouldn't mind a better car but to be honest mine's reliable, looks alright and does what I need so why change it to one that'd just cost me more?

You know what?

If everyone drove a 1.2 litre lawnmower at 56-60mph max the Government wouls imply hike the duty even more to make up for people being economical....as far as Im concerned it is the real reason that Diesel has shot ahead of Petrol in the Price stakes.

Plus Id vouch that our 2.0L Citroen Picasso will return better fuel aconomy than a numer of 1.2L - 1.4L death traps.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 23, 2012, 02:04:12 pm by Nudga »
There's also the knock on effect for business'. Fuel prices go up so business' increase their prices, potentially losing out on custom or losing contracts. They then have to lay people off or shorten their hours, or even worse, go out of business.

I remember last year the Chancellor said he was going to get tough on fuel companies if they raised the fuel prices any further. What a crock of shit that turned out to be. the fuel companies keep putting the prices up and the government also want another cut. It's like the Mafia running the country, extorsion and racketeering.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 23, 2012, 02:24:55 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Wonder if I can produce my own biofuel from used cooking oil?

Chip Shop across road from me says I can have their used stuff for free because it'll save them having to pay to have it taken away.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 24, 2012, 12:06:26 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"jucyberry\" post=228409
I know they might seem odd questions, but I was thinking of bus fares.. I live 13 miles from Kings Lynn, a return costs £5.10. I was curious as to the price of petrol against public transport..

I have to say, when you add on tax, insurance and maintenance, pound for pound I think I'm rather glad I don't drive..I know you can argue drivers have more freedoms, but they also have far more costs.. There are buses and I totally love trains

I don't think I'd even bother learning if I ever won the lottery tbh..

You're right Jucy, looking at it from a pure financial point of view, you are getting a better deal with public transport. My average mileage is about 26 miles per gallon, so it costs me a gallon of fuel at roughly £6.25 for the same distance as your return trip.

Now I don't drive a very economical car, and by my own admission I don't try to drive it particularly economically, so there are ways I could get my costs down, but that doesn't escape the fact that in 2009 around the time of the UN Climate Change Conference the same trip would have cost me about £4.10. The fact that fuel prices have gone up by about 50% in 3 years is an absolute disgrace, and that's before we start talking about the knock-on effects we feel in everything else we buy.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 24, 2012, 12:08:10 pm by Superspy »
PS. Lets all move to Venezuela. It's about 1.3p per litre there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012