Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:56:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saunders out!  (Read 8159 times)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
Re: Saunders out!
« Reply #30 on April 07, 2012, 06:28:23 pm by coventryrover »
So welled, would you be delighted if Saunders stayed next season and controlled the ins and outs ?  I don't.

Never ever wanted shot of a manager before but can't see us progressing with dean in charge

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 07, 2012, 06:33:54 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=232140
So welled, would you be delighted if Saunders stayed next season and controlled the ins and outs ?  I don't.

Never ever wanted shot of a manager before but can't see us progressing with dean in charge

Wellred will be happy with whoever is in charge as long as it's not the succesfull Sean O'Driscoll.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 07, 2012, 06:39:33 pm by Wellred »

No I cannot say I would be delighted.

But lets give the bloke a chance to try and put together his own team. Lets face facts. He inherited a team that was rubbish and going nowhere. I don't know but I would suggest he hasn't been 100% able to do what he wanted this season. He has had no money to spend. He has been charged with bringing down the wage bill and has had to make do with players maybe he wouldn't have brought in.
We are a league 1 team just waiting to be relegated, we have to be realistic. The McKay plan was to try and keep us in the championship. It hasn't worked so I don't think we will continue with it after we are relegated on Monday.
I don't think he is a bad Manager, I think most Managers would have struggled given the crap that has been thrown at Dean Saunders.

That's why I would like him to be given a chance next season.................but not under the same constraints he has been under this season.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 07, 2012, 06:41:31 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"donnyroversfc\" post=232142

Wellred will be happy with whoever is in charge as long as it's not the succesfull Sean O'Driscoll.

For the last 18 months he was far from successful. Or did I miss something?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 07, 2012, 06:45:48 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=232145

No I cannot say I would be delighted.

But lets give the bloke a chance to try and put together his own team. Lets face facts. He inherited a team that was rubbish and going nowhere. I don't know but I would suggest he hasn't been 100% able to do what he wanted this season. He has had no money to spend. He has been charged with bringing down the wage bill and has had to make do with players maybe he wouldn't have brought in.
We are a league 1 team just waiting to be relegated, we have to be realistic. The McKay plan was to try and keep us in the championship. It hasn't worked so I don't think we will continue with it after we are relegated on Monday.
I don't think he is a bad Manager, I think most Managers would have struggled given the crap that has been thrown at Dean Saunders.

That's why I would like him to be given a chance next season.................but not under the same constraints he has been under this season.

Good post that Wellred!

I dont rate Saunders but i wouldn't be angry if we let him have the beginning of next season to see what he can do (without McKay). I'd be intrigued to see how he does, if after say 10 games we're not doing well then i think the whole fanbase will be of the same opinion for once. If he does well then superb, he'll have proved me and many others wrong.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 07, 2012, 06:46:22 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"Sheepskin Stu\" post=232062
I don't bear any malice to Dean Saunders as he was just a man taking a golden opportunity. It's the decision makers that need to be brought to account.

Have to agree, unfortunately.

There is a lot of malice towards Saunders and some personal attacks. He just accepted an offer that was made to him - as almost anybody would do.

Yes, since his appointment we have not made progress and the form has been terrible, and it can easily be argued that he should not have been appointed, with hindsight. But that's the fault of whoever made the offer to him.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 07, 2012, 06:47:00 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=232146

True, he's been a big success on the whole in his time in charge here though.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 07, 2012, 06:51:00 pm by Mr1Croft »
I haven't seen Dean Saunders' contract and I am unaware who his agent was at the time he was signed. I don't have any inside information on the subject but I believe that Willie McKay helped negotiate his contact, that is the reason I believe he was given a 3 year contract (especially considering how at the time the current manager was on gardening leave) and I am guessing that the contract will pretty much make it very expensive or difficult to sack him.

But I could be wrong here, I am only speaking what is my view. To be honest I would not be against bringing in a new manager for the remaining 3/4 games to have a better look at the current players and assess who really is deadwood for the summer; but that could also be a problem, unless the players are willing to agree to a mutual termination they will want compensation, by the time half of the players most on here consider deadwood the transfer kitty will be empty which leaves us in a worse state than ever with a half depleted squad in a league that can be quite tough on the legs playing in both the league cup, FA cup first 2 rounds and JPT as well as 46 league games. Given you go out of the competitions fairly early you are guaranteed at least 49 games against competition at a level quite similar to yourself. That means to reach the FA Cup 3rd round but lose the first round of both the JPT and League cup we will have to play a minimum of 51 games.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 07, 2012, 06:51:28 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"donnyroversfc\" post=232151
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=232146

True, he's been a big success on the whole in his time in charge here though.

Unfortunately however you cannot live in the past.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 07, 2012, 06:57:19 pm by coventryrover »
If Saunders was on trial with this seasons games to prove he was worth a contract would you keep him on next season?

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 07, 2012, 06:59:26 pm by donnygreenjeans »
I don't care how he goes as long as he goes! :coat:

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 07, 2012, 07:03:25 pm by coventryrover »
If Saunders was on trial with this seasons games to prove he was worth a contract would you keep him on next season?

donnygreenjeans

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 07, 2012, 07:14:14 pm by donnygreenjeans »
No chance, a high percentage of our football as been s**t.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 07, 2012, 07:16:36 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=232155
I haven't seen Dean Saunders' contract and I am unaware who his agent was at the time he was signed. I don't have any inside information on the subject but I believe that Willie McKay helped negotiate his contact, that is the reason I believe he was given a 3 year contract (especially considering how at the time the current manager was on gardening leave) and I am guessing that the contract will pretty much make it very expensive or difficult to sack him.

But I could be wrong here, I am only speaking what is my view. To be honest I would not be against bringing in a new manager for the remaining 3/4 games to have a better look at the current players and assess who really is deadwood for the summer; but that could also be a problem, unless the players are willing to agree to a mutual termination they will want compensation, by the time half of the players most on here consider deadwood the transfer kitty will be empty which leaves us in a worse state than ever with a half depleted squad in a league that can be quite tough on the legs playing in both the league cup, FA cup first 2 rounds and JPT as well as 46 league games. Given you go out of the competitions fairly early you are guaranteed at least 49 games against competition at a level quite similar to yourself. That means to reach the FA Cup 3rd round but lose the first round of both the JPT and League cup we will have to play a minimum of 51 games.

Are you really seriously suggesting bringing in a new Manager for 3 or 4 games to assess whether a player is worth keeping or not?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 07, 2012, 07:31:27 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=232168

Are you really seriously suggesting bringing in a new Manager for 3 or 4 games to assess whether a player is worth keeping or not?

That is my view opposed to a manager being brought in at the end of the season where he has to assess the players haven't not seen them play any football. It isn't my first choice option, I'm just saying that I wouldn't be totally against it. It gives the players something to play for in the remaining games; gives them the chance to play to prove that they should have a place at DRFC. Dean Saunders has had most of the season to assess the players and yet Ilunga and Chimbonda are still getting picked ahead of JOC when Ilunga and Chimbonda spend most of their time so far up the field and don't get back in time to defend against a counter.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 07, 2012, 07:38:53 pm by Red wizard »
I think i have come to the point now where he can go for me. I was trying to stick up for him with another fan today at the game. After thinking long and hard driving home he is in a no win situation in less we start next season on fire. Say we lose the first game the fans will be on him like a flash. I do feel the players have let him down and will not play for him. But then he drops Robert and one has to wonder what he is thinking. To risky to keep him and let him bring who he wants in. Time for a clean slate. New manager and players.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 07, 2012, 07:40:17 pm by The Red Baron »

Can I have a go? I'm sure I can't do worse than Saunders and I know which players I'd keep (not very many!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 07, 2012, 07:41:13 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"Red wizard\" post=232185
I think i have come to the point now where he can go for me. I was trying to stick up for him with another fan today at the game. After thinking long and hard driving home he is in a no win situation in less we start next season on fire. Say we lose the first game the fans will be on him like a flash. I do feel the players have let him down and will not play for him. But then he drops Robert and one has to wonder what he is thinking. To risky to keep him and let him bring who he wants in. Time for a clean slate. New manager and players.

Agreed!

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 07, 2012, 07:41:26 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=232165

With the lack of funds, board upheaval, CEO leaving, stadium uncertainty and poor players I think any manager will struggle. And that's a worry. I think it is hard to judge any manager based on the off-field problems this season.

If we get rid of Saunders (and I'm not saying yes or no), the next manager is going to have exactly the same problems. The club will need to change a lot behind the scenes for whoever is in charge next season.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 07, 2012, 07:42:54 pm by hoolahoop »
Can I be your assistant RB.......massive clearout required . We start Tuesday ok ?

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 07, 2012, 07:45:33 pm by donnyroversfc »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=232188

Can I have a go? I'm sure I can't do worse than Saunders and I know which players I'd keep (not very many!)

Can i be your transfer consultant? I'll recommend you some good players.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 07, 2012, 07:46:03 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=232192
Can I be your assistant RB.......massive clearout required . We start Tuesday ok ?

Sounds like a good plan, but where does the money come from for new players. I would love for the club to have a clearout - a season too late, but better late than never. Unless JR can find some new shareholders, we are going to struggle to have the necessary clearout.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 07, 2012, 07:46:17 pm by Mr1Croft »

I can apply bandages, can I be the new physio?

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 07, 2012, 07:52:48 pm by Red wizard »
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=232197

Sounds like a good plan, but where does the money come from for new players. I would love for the club to have a clearout - a season too late, but better late than never. Unless JR can find some new shareholders, we are going to struggle to have the necessary clearout.
We won't be able to get rid of every player but there is going to be 12 players or so out of contract and if and a big if any club wants anyone then you let them go if we don't want them.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 07, 2012, 07:54:15 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"Red wizard\" post=232199

We won't be able to get rid of every player but there is going to be 12 players or so out of contract and if and a big if any club wants anyone then you let them go if we don't want them.

Yeah, but where do new players come from?

intake rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 07, 2012, 07:54:22 pm by intake rover »
why are people baNging on about odriscolls shit form during the last year. look at the players out injured, we playing players out of position all over the park and some game never had any forwards, playing a 3rd eleven in some games. you only have to look at the team we put out at nowrich and we got a point. so please don't compare odriscoll with the prick in charge at the moment, :rtid:

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 07, 2012, 07:54:31 pm by grayx »
Quote from: \"coventryrover\" post=232162

NO

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 07, 2012, 08:13:06 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=232200

You've never heard of free transfers and bosmans? It's then just a question of moulding them into a team that can compete in League One. Trouble is, I don't think the current manager can do it.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 07, 2012, 08:15:04 pm by WBDRFC »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=232210
Quote from: \"WBDRFC\" post=232200

You've never heard of free transfers and bosmans? It's then just a question of moulding them into a team that can compete in League One. Trouble is, I don't think the current manager can do it.

Relying on freebies and loans is what has got us into this mess.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 07, 2012, 08:16:14 pm by hoolahoop »
Are you not up for it now then ? I was looking forward to the cull RB. ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012