Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:38:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lowest point being a Rovers Fan  (Read 4439 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Lowest point being a Rovers Fan
« on April 08, 2012, 11:50:31 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Listening to so called fans singing for SOD and anti Mckay/ Saunders songs yesterday ....disgraceful they should be ashamed !

Mr Ryan wants Mr McKay involved with the club and also believes Saunders is doing an excellent job, thats good enough for me so get behind the team!

You will push him too far and I dont see too many others queuing up!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Lowest point being a Rovers Fan
« Reply #1 on April 08, 2012, 11:57:03 pm by Mr1Croft »
My lowest point was a few years back being taunted by the Mansfield fans away at their ground. 10 minutes to go and Blundell picks up the ball...

The rest is history...

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 09, 2012, 12:03:29 am by vaya »
Front row of the away end at Bramall Lane.

It's at least a foot below pitch level.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 09, 2012, 01:07:39 am by RedJ »
last game of 1997/8

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 09, 2012, 02:56:20 am by RobTheRover »
Half way through 1997/98 season when I realised we were only going one way.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 09, 2012, 07:44:55 am by philsky »

Away @ Welling in the conference days - first season.

Sat watching the match from the main stand with Glyn Snodin in front of me swearing like a trooper.

It was simply dreadful - remember thinking that we'd reached rock bottom.

Crap game, crap team, crap stadium.

:rtid:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 09, 2012, 07:47:34 am by wilts rover »
Chester away in 97/98 when we were mathematically relegated out of the league - to the delight of their fans, what goes around comes around.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 09, 2012, 08:13:35 am by The Red Baron »
Listening to so called fans singing for SOD and anti Mckay/ Saunders songs yesterday ....disgraceful they should be ashamed !

Mr Ryan wants Mr McKay involved with the club and also believes Saunders is doing an excellent job, thats good enough for me so get behind the team!

Well, if those two remain involved for a lot longer, we'll have many lower points than Saturday.

I agree with Rob- second half of 97-98. But I get an awful feeling that history could be about to repeat itself.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 09, 2012, 09:07:41 am by steve@dcfd »
I agree with Red Baron, if things do not change then there times to come that will exceed or match 97/98. Let's hope the club can change it round, good, thought out decisions have to be made. No more knee jerk ones please by the board.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 09, 2012, 09:49:25 am by CusworthRovers »

Reading your posts since this system was put in place...... Blindly talking/writing b*llocks and ripping to pieces all that had happened before to try and justify a very pathetic, factless, baseless argument.

It's odd really, as you used to talk so positively about SOD and all the players associated with his era (even the ones that are still here), how soon we forget eh!
I dare say when the day comes when WM/DS leave you'll be raving the new manager and slating the DS/WM era.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 09, 2012, 11:13:49 am by Pintolager »
Half way through 1997/98 season when I realised we were only going one way.

Same here Rob. That was just a truly awful time. Some people will never realise how bad things got.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 09, 2012, 11:23:09 am by drfc1951 »
The day i heard the news that Ken was our new benefactor.Spoke to Joan Oldale same day and told her
where we would end up.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 09, 2012, 11:26:40 am by Sheepskin Stu »
The day i heard the news that Ken was our new benefactor.Spoke to Joan Oldale same day and told her
where we would end up.

If Joan was still here we wouldn't be in this mess.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 09, 2012, 11:27:12 am by jonnydog »
For me it was 98. The funeral march to Belle Vue. Emotional day and one I thought was going to be the last of my team. I never expected to see them playing again, let alone in the championship - Unreal really when you think about it.

I agree with others on here and have said it for last few months that if things don't change or there is no contingency plan for League 1 then we could see ourselves crash straight through to League 2. I hope not but a back-up plan is vital IMO.

Still RTID, we hit rock bottom 14 years ago so relegation is NOT the end of the road, I enjoyed League 1 to be honest!!

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 09, 2012, 11:28:43 am by Barmby Rover »
Watching Rovers sink towards the bottom of the Conference in that first season in and wondering....... in comparison this is Nirvana!  :scarf:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 09, 2012, 11:28:58 am by DonnyNoel »
The Hartlepool game during the 97/98 season. A walkout had been planned at a certain time but when the time arrived, due to a hold up in the first half the game wasn't as progressed as it should have been and Rovers were 2-0 up. I remember walking out like many others although not being really sure I wanted to so I spent the next 20 minutes chanting anti-Richardson songs at a brick wall listening to Hartlepool get a point. One of my friends who stayed in the ground said Gary Ingham was clost to tears at the end although he insisted he wasn't aware of the walkout.

I can't be arsed to debate with the OP.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 09, 2012, 11:37:17 am by inSODwetrust »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, all the money us fans have paid this season and we're not allowed a negative opinion on a negative situation!

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 09, 2012, 11:55:32 am by Albert Trousers »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, all the money us fans have paid this season and we're not allowed a negative opinion on a negative situation!

Exactly, people pay good money & if their not happy they have every right to voice their opinions. Personally I agree with them,the McKay experiment hasn't worked & I don't think Saunders is the right man, however JR is in charge & will make those decisions & whatever they are I will support those on the field but I think I recall Ryan saying that if we went down we wouldn't carry on with the project in which case both McKay & Saunders would be out in an ideal world. However most fans werent exactly overjoyed with S'OD during his 1st few months & look what happened there!

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 09, 2012, 12:15:41 pm by donnyroversfc »
Lowest point being a Rovers fan? Realising me and Norfolk n Chance support the same team.

Seriously though my lowest point was when it came out that McKay was involved in the club. I gave my season ticket up because of it and stand by that decision!

Hate is a strong word and often overused but it's safe to say i hate McKay and will do backflips/cartwheels/handstands/ballet dancing/figure skating when he leaves the club and has been deemed a failure.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that i'd want Rovers to fail at something. This season though, i really did want the club to fail. Bad supporter i know, but i feel strongly about this.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 09, 2012, 12:16:38 pm by southwestexile »
Possibly losing 7-1 at Ninnian Park but at leat I knew we were pants then

Maybe losing 1-0 at home to Lincoln City in Div 4 in the late 70s?  we were always pants then

But most likely, the chanceless display at Swansea last year and the at Derby this year which was gutless

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 09, 2012, 12:47:11 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Reading your posts since this system was put in place...... Blindly talking/writing b*llocks and ripping to pieces all that had happened before to try and justify a very pathetic, factless, baseless argument.

It's odd really, as you used to talk so positively about SOD and all the players associated with his era (even the ones that are still here), how soon we forget eh!
I dare say when the day comes when WM/DS leave you'll be raving the new manager and slating the DS/WM era.

Exactly my opinion the reason

Ok Cusworth for what its worth I seldom see you post any sense in fact you would rather sit on the fence and slag others off!

I never wanted SOD sacked FACT, as I maintain since Jan 2011 the players have plainly shown they are not good enough.

So don't start wanting a change in manager every 5 minutes when the existing players are not good enough the facts don't lie!

Furthermore don't slag the club of with the McKay experiment as they should be applauded for trying something different.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 09, 2012, 01:36:50 pm by roversontheup »
Colchester at home at the end of 97/98 season.  I had seen some awful matches before then but I truly thought I was watching the death throes of my club at that match.

No relegation, especially one from the Championship, will ever make me feel the despair and gut wrenching heartbreak I felt then.

I am not trying to make out that older supporters know best but many of our younger supporters just haven't experienced any heartbreak in their time as Rovers supporters.  For some, this is as bad as they have suffered. 

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 09, 2012, 02:18:08 pm by redwine »
At the momet its now. Doing a mercy dash for a relative and om M1 at leicester knowiing I ll probably miss the start.

I do have to agree with cussie to, norflk n chance more like norfolk n clue.

Apologies for spelling as in car and its tricky looking out for cops whilst posting and driving .......lol

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 09, 2012, 02:25:57 pm by jucyberry »
Lets hope in the time you are away we score 5 stunning goals (well sometimes you just have to aim impossibly high lol).

ian1973

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 09, 2012, 02:29:48 pm by ian1973 »
Weavers fat next door neighbour playing in goal was the lowest ive ever seen us get tbh

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 10, 2012, 10:17:07 am by CusworthRovers »
Ok Cusworth for what its worth I seldom see you post any sense in fact you would rather sit on the fence and slag others off! (...and my dads bigger than yours)

I never wanted SOD sacked FACT, as I maintain since Jan 2011 the players have plainly shown they are not good enough.

So don't start wanting a change in manager every 5 minutes when the existing players are not good enough the facts don't lie!

Furthermore don't slag the club of with the McKay experiment as they should be applauded for trying something different.

Ok Norfolk, (I don't know why I'm doing this to be honest).

1. I've not been childish in repeatedly calling for Deano's head or ran a campaign to oust him.
2. I've not been childish in repeatedly calling for Mckays head or ran a campaign to oust him.
3. I don't want the manager changing every 5 minutes.

If you are going to post something, you need to be sure what you are saying is correct, otherwise it makes you look a bit thick.

On points 2 and 3, I may have intimated it's not working (and to be fair I would be right, I feel). However I'd be happy to hear you tell us how it is working.

If you never wanted SOD sacked FACT as you put it, then why are you constantly undermining his tenure. If you never wanted SOD sacked FACT, then why don't you defend what we had then.

As for the existing players aren't good enough. That's debatable. If you look at the facts then all the players with DRFC this season haven't been good enough, as that's why we are where we are. The players and the way we play should be governed by the manager and he must take a lot of the brunt of the blame for this. The 2 managers haven't been good enough. One manager has had considerably more time than the other to firmly say he wasn't good enough this season. One wasn't good enough in 7 games (but good enough for 250 or so before that). One wasn't good enough for nearly 40 games and that's it.

As for the Mckay project. Personally in it's current guise it will fail and it has failed. I know why we went down this road, but we went down it wrongly, if we had to go down it at all. I've still followed DRFC all over the place, it's what I do. 

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 10, 2012, 10:44:00 am by Wellred »
To be fair Cussy, I think you have been a little economical with your facts. The previous Manager wasn't exactly good enough for 250 games was he?
Are you discounting the early part of his tenure and almost all of the second half of last season?

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 10, 2012, 11:12:39 am by CusworthRovers »
I suppose it could be argued that way.......but for me it's never about 1 game. Yes we can be pissed off over 1 bad game or even 2 or 3. But the ultimate judgement should be over a season.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence and point out what happened and what we achieved in each season under Sean.
I'm also not going to insult your intelligence in saying how we will judge Deano over his first season

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 10, 2012, 11:19:18 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Cusworth short and sweet....

I blame the players for the situation we are in!

Is was not SOD fault nor Saunders ... It is the existing contracted players fault ....hopefully by using short sentences you may understand ....Get me? GOOD!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 10, 2012, 11:25:29 am by Wellred »
I suppose it could be argued that way.......but for me it's never about 1 game. Yes we can be pissed off over 1 bad game or even 2 or 3. But the ultimate judgement should be over a season.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence and point out what happened and what we achieved in each season under Sean.
I'm also not going to insult your intelligence in saying how we will judge Deano over his first season

I don't disagree Cussy however maybe some of the less intelligent posters on here could have been...........shall we say "led in a certain direction" by the content of your post
I cannot argue that Dean Saunders hasn't exactly covered himself in glory this season, I do think however given all the circumstances he has faced it would be unfair to judge him properly based solely results. Even though at the end of the day that is what either keeps managers in a job or not!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012