Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:49:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: James O 'Connor  (Read 4847 times)

stokerover

• Forum Member
Re: James O 'Connor
« Reply #30 on April 13, 2012, 01:23:17 pm by stokerover »
Ok, so what we should do is replace them all with 35 year old has beens, that will really boost their confidence! Oh and while we're at it, lets abuse them on Twitter, on here, boo them when they come on the pitch and judge them all as "not good enough". Oh and have them work under a manager who tells them they're shit.

Too many fans think its as easy as just getting rid of players...its not Football Manager!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 13, 2012, 01:33:35 pm by Alonzo Drake »
I'm a big JOC fan too donnyroversfc, but he's not world class.

I think your post demonstrates what I was trying to say -- that our perceptions are often clouded by nostalgia, by a yearning for the good old days.

I hope JOC stays, because he will be an integral part of a team pushing for a top six place in D3. However, the signs are that he will leave because, seemingly, JOC and Saunders don't see eye to eye.

The situation is all much more complicated than "Saunders must be axed and the old guard must be retained." Even if a new manager was appointed, he might disassemble the old guard.

It's time to rebuild and look ahead, and not become twisted and resentful over this awful season just coming to an end.

Stokerover, I see the glass half full, and you see it half empty.

This past season has been the most depressing I recall, but sacking Saunders is not the answer.

Saunders needs time to build a new team. He came into the job to 'experiment' -- an experiment that SOD would not stomach, an experiment that failed. Now let's see what Saunders can do in a normal situation.

Also, all those calling for Saunders' head forget we have no money to pay up a three year contract, and then fork out big bucks for a new manager.

Case in point -- our beloved neighbors Rotherham offered Lee Clark the job, but he asked for too much money -- so the thug and wholly despicable Evans gets the post.

In Saunders, it's better the devil you know. All this abuse towards him is pointless. Even Ferguson and Wenger would have struggled to make the 'experiment' work.

It's time to stop looking for scapegoats, and time to plan and rebuild and get back to the Championship -- so once again we can become the 'Likes of Doncaster.'

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 13, 2012, 01:36:35 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
err no but what your saying is we should stick with a load of 28 year old hasbeens on way too much for there ability.  im sure there are a lot of players in leauge 1 and 2 who would come here hoping to get a chance to go back up.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 13, 2012, 01:38:04 pm by donnyroversfc »
I was joking when i called him world class... Norfolk loves telling us all that Dioufy is world class... End of!  :lol:

Great post btw!

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 13, 2012, 02:24:04 pm by mjdgreg »
Ok Alonso...but the question is...why aren't they the players they were? O'Connor is 27 years old...so its not an age issue, he should be at the peak of his career. I'm not saying Saunders is to blame, because JOC's form wasn't great towards the end of O'Driscoll's management.

let me ask you this...If it came down to two choices...

1. Stick with Saunders, who is likely to get rid of the old guard or they will force a move - O'Connor, Hird, perhaps Friend, Spurr, Coppinger, Stock, Hayter...and replace them with his own signings

OR...

2. Bring in a new manager who the old guard are happy to play under and who has confidence in them

Which would you pick? No brainer for me. Whilst they haven't as of late, the old guard have PROVED they can play in the Championship. Whatever anyone says about them now the guys mentioned above were instrumental in our first few seasons in the Championship. Ok so Stock, Coppinger and Hayter might be getting on a bit but a new manager who has confidence in them and who is tactically astute (these guys must love a tactically astute manager having played under O'Driscoll) might just get another good season out of them. Whereas Saunders is UNPROVEN. Give him a chance to prove himself you might say...fair enough. But based on his performance this season...and the rubbish he persists to talk...I'm not convinced he could do it.

Bottom line, I trust the old guard to put some pride back in the shirt more than I trust Saunders. And although Norfolk is entitled to his opinion, his "not good enough anymore" judgement of some of the best and most professional players in our clubs history really angers me.

Great post that I agree with 97.5%. The only bit I don't agree with is that I do hold Saunders responsible for the loss of form of JO'C (and the rest of the old guard).

He has constantly undermined them and shown a complete lack of man management skills. Add to that that they think he's clueless and have no respect for him and it is not hard to see where the blame lies. I can't believe there are fools out there that want to give him another season.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 13, 2012, 02:29:20 pm by donnyroversfc »
What about their poor form when SO'D was here too, was that Saunders' fault too?

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 13, 2012, 02:35:22 pm by mjdgreg »
What about their poor form when SO'D was here too, was that Saunders' fault too?

Lets conveniently forget about the massive injury crisis again shall we. The players who everyone says weren't good enough managed to keep us in the Championship year after year. With a bit more luck injury wise we'd still have SOD and still be in the Championship.

However even if we went down I'd be a lot happier giving SOD the chance to rebuild than taking another huge risk with Saunders.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 13, 2012, 02:36:07 pm by Alonzo Drake »
Remember donnyroversfc that you are responding to Mad Mick, who is clinically insane.

Indeed Mick me old mucker, believe it! I am indeed one of those fools who want to give Dean Saunders another season, and despite your drooling ramblings, that's what he'll get.

Get back to your basket-weaving meowdduck.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 13, 2012, 02:39:29 pm by mjdgreg »

I am indeed one of those fools

At least you're honest.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 13, 2012, 03:11:59 pm by Alonzo Drake »
Bet I make a better job of my basket-weaving than you.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 13, 2012, 09:17:35 pm by PDX_Rover »
Jimmy has not become a bad player... but he had the injury and then has had limited opportunities with this experiment.

I hope he stays on and secures a regular place next season.  He's a quality player and needs a run in the side.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012