Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:35:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: BS (Before Saunders)  (Read 4497 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
BS (Before Saunders)
« on April 12, 2012, 08:42:23 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
3 wins in 8 months???

SOD an excellent manager who I loved but had run out of ideas

An existing business model that was losing millions but hey it was ok cos JR and the boys were paying it?

Players simply not good enough proven over 8 months and a one man team i.e  King Billy

Sadly The King has a clause in contract so he can leave

So come on then anti Saunders / McKay and thus Jr what would you have done!?!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilko_rover

Re: BS (Before Saunders)
« Reply #1 on April 12, 2012, 09:02:10 pm by wilko_rover »
well i wouldn't have sacked o'driscoll for a start.

but assuming he left anyway after 7 games , i would have gone for a manager with a proven track record in the football league. someone with experience. someone who would fancy the challenge. not a bloody joker like dean saunders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prince

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 12, 2012, 09:02:24 pm by prince »
McKay plan with an actual manager might've worked.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 12, 2012, 09:06:18 pm by WBDRFC »

but assuming he left anyway after 7 games , i would have gone for a manager with a proven track record in the football league. someone with experience. someone who would fancy the challenge. not a bloody joker like dean saunders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would any other manager have given the McKay experiment a try? If not, what would you have done to reduce the losses?

wilko_rover

« Reply #4 on April 12, 2012, 09:08:22 pm by wilko_rover »
have the losses actually been reduced though??????? or is that just the spin that J.R. puts on it in an attempt to protect saunders and the failed experiment??????????

if we want to reduce losses properly , then we should have a fire sale. we dont need a football agent to do that for us.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 12, 2012, 09:09:36 pm by donnyroversfc »
McKay plan with an actual manager might've worked.

No it wouldn't... You can't prove otherwise either, whereas the events of this season has proven it wont work.

Dean Saunders is an 'actual manager' also, he's just had to work with massive handicap's (McKay's 'plan' was one of those).

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 12, 2012, 09:10:16 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Would any other manager have given the McKay experiment a try? If not, what would you have done to reduce the losses?

Mate your making people THINK...so much easier being negative about solutions!

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 12, 2012, 09:11:55 pm by WBDRFC »
have the losses actually been reduced though??????? or is that just the spin that J.R. puts on it in an attempt to protect saunders and the failed experiment??????????

if we want to reduce losses properly , then we should have a fire sale. we dont need a football agent to do that for us.

We don't know if they have been reduced, but that is/was the plan. If we have a fire sale, where are the replacements going to come from, and who's going to pay their wages?

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 12, 2012, 09:12:21 pm by WBDRFC »

Mate your making people THINK...so much easier being negative about solutions!

Lol. True.

wilko_rover

« Reply #9 on April 12, 2012, 09:17:55 pm by wilko_rover »
thats why we have to blood the youth team. players like liam wakefield , brad grayson , etc. they are the future of this club not has beens like chimbonda and diouf and habib beye who get a contract off their reputation.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 12, 2012, 09:54:17 pm by WBDRFC »
thats why we have to blood the youth team. players like liam wakefield , brad grayson , etc. they are the future of this club not has beens like chimbonda and diouf and habib beye who get a contract off their reputation.

But back in September, when SO'D was sacked, what would you have done to cut the losses and attempt to keep our place in Championship? I don't think your're answer about using the youth team would have been a credible attempt to stop relegation.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 12, 2012, 10:01:03 pm by Jonathan »
I argued at the time we should keep our manager so I'm not going to change my mind on that now, not least as he'd have had several key players back a couple of days after he was sacked (and I'd just sanctioned the signing of a striker).

Going forwards, I'd have told him he would probably need to sell players without saddling him with a number of ineffective and cumulatively costly imports via an imposed strategy.

Moreover, I might have listened to him on certain matters in the summer....

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 12, 2012, 10:05:41 pm by WBDRFC »
I argued at the time we should keep our manager so I'm not going to change my mind on that now, not least as he'd have had several key players back a couple of days after he was sacked (and I'd just sanctioned the signing of a striker).

Going forwards, I'd have told him he would probably need to sell players without saddling him with a number of ineffective and cumulatively costly imports via an imposed strategy.

Moreover, I might have listened to him on certain matters in the summer....

But I guess SO'D would have needed some money to replace the sold players. Or would you have slashed the squad, bearing in mind we couldn't name a full subs bench for a number of games last season?

The McKay experiment has not worked, but I can see what the club was trying to do. They had to save a couple of million pounds, and there was no other way to do it at the time.

pubteam

« Reply #13 on April 12, 2012, 10:08:14 pm by pubteam »
FFS. Are we going over all this again? It's been done to death.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 12, 2012, 10:10:18 pm by The L J Monk »

Replaced SOD with a manager who had worked in the Football League and who was aware of the financial situation.

Barnsley managed to pull this off to replace Robins.

MartinB

« Reply #15 on April 12, 2012, 10:12:01 pm by MartinB »
Yep, this is getting boring. The one manager who I think could have done a job under the McKay plan in Sam Allerdyce.

Kind of glad he was already in a job!

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 12, 2012, 10:12:27 pm by WBDRFC »

Replaced SOD with a manager who had worked in the Football League and who was aware of the financial situation.

That worked so well that he resigned because he didn't like the budget constraints.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 12, 2012, 10:19:48 pm by RedJ »

That worked so well that he resigned because he didn't like the budget constraints.

He's on about Keef Hill.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 12, 2012, 10:30:43 pm by WBDRFC »

He's on about Keef Hill.

So he was. Although I'm pretty sure Barnsley fans wouldn't say "they pulled it off" in getting Keith Hill.

Barnsley are in a much better position financially than Rovers are. They are doing pretty well with their finances. Even though they don't have much money to spend on strengthening their squad, at least they don't have to cut millions from their expenditure.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:34:01 pm by WBDRFC »

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 12, 2012, 10:35:29 pm by The L J Monk »
Barnsley look like, on a  reduced budget, surviving once again in the Championship.

They lost Butterfield injured and Vaz Te transferred.

Keith Hill has done an exceptional job, and any Barnsley fan who isn't satisfied is delusional.

If Barnsley can cope without a man from Monaco and a non-league management novice, then why can't we? Why is this idea that the McKay plan was the only viable alternative thrown around by some. Absolute garbage.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 12, 2012, 10:38:25 pm by WBDRFC »
Barnsley look like, on a  reduced budget, surviving once again in the Championship.

Keith Hill has done an exceptional job, and any Barnsley fan who isn't satisfied is delusional.

If Barnsley can cope without a man from Monaco and a non-league management novice, then why can't we? Why is this idea that the McKay plan was the only viable alternative thrown around by some. Absolute garbage.

Easy... last season Barnsley lost £250,000, and have a rich owner who is covering the small losses.
Last season Rovers lost £1.5 million and, from the summer, won't have anyone covering the losses (except JR, who can't afford it on his own).
No-one has come up with a alternative, viable plan to eradicate the losses (which would have increased even without relegation) and remain in the Championship.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:42:00 pm by WBDRFC »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 12, 2012, 10:43:09 pm by Filo »

In January the Barnsley fans were talking play offs, sound familiar?

Since then they tumbled down the table, sound familiar?

Back them for a relegation fight next season!

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 12, 2012, 10:45:22 pm by Barmby Rover »
Same problem, not enough money to compete with the clubs being given 30 million a year for three years to cheat their way out of the Championship and back to the corrupt league.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 12, 2012, 10:47:16 pm by The L J Monk »
Barnsley operate how we should.

They sell their decent players when they're worth money. Hammill, Vaz Te, Shackell etc.
They replace them with lower league alternatives.
They do enough to stay up.

Instead we try to keep hold of players with contracts we can't afford (for this blame either SOD or JR) or wait too long to sell them and they lose half their value.

The model is out there, we have just made a mess of following it.

wilko_rover

« Reply #24 on April 12, 2012, 10:50:15 pm by wilko_rover »
if barnsley get relegated next season though what model is there to follow then????????

surely the model has to be breaking even and running the club on a self sufficient basis.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 12, 2012, 10:51:07 pm by Barmby Rover »
That is one big IF there.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 12, 2012, 11:00:58 pm by The L J Monk »
if barnsley get relegated next season though what model is there to follow then????????

surely the model has to be breaking even and running the club on a self sufficient basis.

I'd rather deal with the facts than your worries about "ifs" 12 months down the line.

Barnsley have sold Howard, Campbell Ryce, Vaz Te, Hammill and Shackell for decent money in the last few years. They couldn't afford to keep them, so they cashed in and replaced them. Much like we did with Mills and Wellens. But then we stopped.

Watford is another example to look at. They've made a massive investment in youth and have cashed in on players like Young, Sordell. They've also bought wisely and again sold when they needed to. Danny Graham, Will Buckley, Tommy Smith, Mike Williamson.

It's not rocket science. It's decent management combined with business acumen from the Board.

Pinter777

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 13, 2012, 01:19:25 pm by Pinter777 »
so we either be sensible and stay contempt in league 1 0r 2 or risk it a little and go for glory? unfortunately fans cant have both. I do hope you people think before you speak, in a years time if saunders is doing really well and i hope he is, i want you all to feel guilty for rushing ahead. i feel sorry for Saunders, getting stick from people who play football manager on the pc and assume its an easy job.fools

TinyPortal © 2005-2012