Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:18:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps slams transfer policy  (Read 3997 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
Re: Copps slams transfer policy
« Reply #1 on April 16, 2012, 11:20:55 am by donnyroversfc »
Coppinger!!  :clapping:

Good lad!! I reckon he'd have a lot more to say on the whole thing if it wasn't a public interview.

'disrespectful' to the championship... That's one way of putting it.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 16, 2012, 11:24:22 am by 5minstogo »
At last, someone as said it.  Well Done Copps.

Let's see who else speaks out now.

yapper1901

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 16, 2012, 11:27:45 am by yapper1901 »
though i am not a fan of the policy, i actually think its wrong of coppinger to be commenting in the press about the inner workings of the rovers

he is paid to play football and should keep his oppions to himself

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 16, 2012, 11:32:49 am by donnyroversfc »
though i am not a fan of the policy, i actually think its wrong of coppinger to be commenting in the press about the inner workings of the rovers

Or... He's a human being like the rest of us and should be allowed to express his opinions, be that in private or in public.

MartinB

« Reply #5 on April 16, 2012, 11:34:19 am by MartinB »

he is paid to play football and should keep his opinions to himself

Yep, paid to play football; but he still has the right to free speech.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 16, 2012, 11:36:17 am by Filo »

To be fair to Copps, those quotes are taken from the Radio Sheffield interview and taken out of  context, Copps was put on the spot by the Radio Sheffield interviewer, when he was clearly emotional after Saturday`s game, what he said did imply what Sky are saying, but he never actually slammed the transfer policy, sky are putting words out that simply was n`t said, maybe none of the players should have done an interview straight after we had been relegated and blatantly cheated out of 3 points, emotions were still running high!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 16, 2012, 11:38:32 am by Jonathan »
He's a human being, and an intelligent one at that, not a robot.

He has been very tactful and restrained with these comments.

He hasn't yet blown the lid on any internal goings on, merely expressed an opinion on a failed strategy that has damaged the reputation of a club he was positively associated with for 7 years before this.

He has only stated the downright obvious.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 16, 2012, 12:28:59 pm by Mike_F »
Copps also stated in the interview on Radio Sheffield that it was a difficult question to answer and one on which he couldn't expand without being controversial. He was careful to try and prevent the sort of sensationalist nonsense peddled by Sky.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 16, 2012, 12:35:47 pm by 5minstogo »
I read around the Sky blurb but if the quotes are correct there isn't any other way of looking at it really.

SiBo

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 16, 2012, 12:36:51 pm by SiBo »
By stating he couldn't expand without being controversial just says he feels even more strongly than his already strongly worded quotes imply. He's bang on.

DS and his 'I was brought in to keep the club up' nonsense, let's rewind six months and I'm sure the words 'play-offs' were the ones that kept being banded around.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:45:14 pm by SiBo »

adsrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 16, 2012, 12:40:41 pm by adsrover »

like you

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 16, 2012, 12:44:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I still believe what I posted yesterday though, the players should have got on with and performed, they didn't do that.  Copps is a good player and has been great for us, but he's been pretty poor on the whole this season as have a few.  It's amazing how people will give SAunders and JR stick (and they do deserve some as neither did things the right way) but seem immune to criticising players like Copps who had a big part in SOD's departure and our relegation by not performing.  It's not just recently that this has happened but over 18 months plenty have not been good enough.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 16, 2012, 12:48:55 pm by 5minstogo »
I still believe what I posted yesterday though, the players should have got on with and performed, they didn't do that.  Copps is a good player and has been great for us, but he's been pretty poor on the whole this season as have a few.  It's amazing how people will give SAunders and JR stick (and they do deserve some as neither did things the right way) but seem immune to criticising players like Copps who had a big part in SOD's departure and our relegation by not performing.  It's not just recently that this has happened but over 18 months plenty have not been good enough.

True but then we know what to expect from Copps. He has never played well consistently and that's probably why he has stayed with us for 8 years as he wouldn't get away with it at a higher level.  He does remain however one of our best players.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 16, 2012, 01:41:44 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm fully with him and I'm glad what he's said has gotten to the national press.

Coppinger is as invested in this club as all of us, he had been here for 7 years at the start of this season and like many of us clearly had major reservations about this controversial transfer policy. It shows what the established guard really thought of this whole thing and how they have had to deal with it themselves. It needs to be aired in a public forum so that maybe the owner and his staff can actually realise what the chief causes of our Championship demise are.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 16, 2012, 02:16:45 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Bringing in loan players in itself was not the reason we weren't successful this season, not remotely one of the major reasons. Lots of clubs bring in loan players and do well.

I think there are too many loans allowed where the emphasis could be put more on using developing players when there is an injury to cover rather than subsidising the prem clubs.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 16, 2012, 02:29:21 pm by Jonathan »
I agree it's not simply a case of blaming 'bringing in loan players.'

Most clubs use the loan market. It's the whole way it's been managed that has been our downfall. Clearly people have different ideas on who is ultimately to blame for that.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #17 on April 16, 2012, 03:51:18 pm by GM-MarkB »
Reading 'his' comments got me thinking.....

Just imagine if this happened in another industry...bringin loads of cheap foreign labour to do the regular lads work.....

Oh wait.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jan/30/lindsey-oil-refinery-strikes

Okay so the link is a little tenuous but can you imagine what would have happened if the incumbent squad of players hada taken 'industrial action' over the influx of overseas 'talent' ??

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 16, 2012, 04:29:55 pm by mjdgreg »
Well done Copps for saying what was obvious from day one to some of us. Let's hear no more nonsense from the pro strategy lobby about what a great idea it was when patently it wasn't.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 16, 2012, 07:49:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm glad there's been some sensible responses. How hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?

Sky twist Copps words and you believe what you want to believe because you told us so. Well done chaps.

If only JR had sought your views before taking a difficult decision to remove SO'D. Perhaps you should form some kind of advisory committee and make yourself available to JR to put your recommendations forward for the future of DRFC.

I trust you all sleep better in the knowledge that you knew better and could have saved Rovers from relegation.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 16, 2012, 10:19:54 pm by mjdgreg »
If only JR had sought your views before taking a difficult decision to remove SO'D. Perhaps you should form some kind of advisory committee and make yourself available to JR to put your recommendations forward for the future of DRFC.

I trust you all sleep better in the knowledge that you knew better and could have saved Rovers from relegation.

If only he had. We are available to advise him on his future course of action.

Step 1. Sack Saunders immediately.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012