Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 12:35:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: who's ur best manager.  (Read 2801 times)

donnyallday

• Forum Member
who's ur best manager.
« on April 30, 2012, 12:08:50 am by donnyallday »
3 options only and why.

Bremner, 2 promotions on peanuts.

Penney,Reinstated league football. 2 promotions, went up as champions with a team oozing swagger. Finished higher every season. Great cup runs.

SOD. Paint pot winners, Championship footy and a bit of barca style  play in parts.

For me..... Penney.

OVER TO YOU!!!  :saywhat:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: who's ur best manager.
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2012, 12:30:31 am by RedJ »
Penney, because without him to kick all of this off, we'd never be where we are today (that is, gone on the journey we had).

charledrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2012, 03:48:43 am by charledrfc »
Peter Doherty kept us in Division 2 for eight years.  Surely that
deserves some recognition

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2012, 05:57:47 am by Mr1Croft »
Got to be SOD im afraid. Lead us to our greatest finish ever. 32nd in pyramid (Doherty got 33rd.) Our highest points to game ratio in second division and for the first time in our history in the second division we got a plus goal difference (albeit only one). When you add to that the JPT, Beating leeds at Wembley and our first season comeback in the Championship and the football we played it sits SOD as the greatest manager.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2012, 06:47:38 am by Al4475 »
Agreed Crofty as I'm too young to comment on Doherty. Well indeed anybody before Bremner in his first stint!

One who I think in better circumstances could have been on to be a great manager for us was Sammy Chung - He was beginning to put a very good squad of players together before the fire-starter started interfering with Sammy's selections.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2012, 08:07:56 am by DonnyNoel »
I can't really comment on Bremner's early achievements so I can only really vote on Penney vs SOD. Whilst I have no doubt SOD is the better manager in literal comparisons, in terms of benchmarking the achievements I think Penney shades it.

For me, Penney's cup run and SODs JPT cancel each other out so its down to promotions for me. I'm not making it as simple as saying "2-1 Penney" but it was that second promotion that seals it for me. I think there was, because of JRs visions and enthusiasm and cash, a certain inevitability about us getting out the conference, especially when 2 promotion spots were introduced. Likewise I think when SOD was appointed everything about his brief was "get us promoted" and again we had the backing of JR to bring in the likes of Wellens, Sulli and Gareth Roberts.

So for me best achievement, and my best year as a fan in 22 years, was the 03/04 title winning season. I know JR played a huge part in the capture of McIndoe and Leo but to steamroller that division ahead of big clubs like Hull, Huddersfield and Swansea playing the football we did and keeping the faith in the spine of the squad that got us promoted the year before was something special. I just dearly hope DP gets one more shot as a manager before he's written off as a one club wonder.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2012, 08:27:52 am by Wellred »
As far as excitement is concerned it has to be Penney.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2012, 08:43:41 am by SkellowRover »
1. SoD
2. King Billy
3. Mark Weaver, hahaha kidding.................. 3. Dave Penney

Dimples-D

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 30, 2012, 08:50:26 am by Dimples-D »
SOD..... Doherty did it when football was more of a level playing field. SOD was up against clubs with massive budgets, with millions more than Rovers.  :scarf:

rovinrover52

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2012, 11:29:10 am by rovinrover52 »
Laurie McMenemy 1968 - 71, Won league title 1968/69 brilliant team and Stan anderson 1975 - 1979

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2012, 11:49:50 am by dickos1 »
I'd say sod, without a doubt. Performances like millwall away, wednesday away, we're unbelievable.
For 18 months we were a very very good side.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 30, 2012, 01:02:01 pm by Scooter »
SOD v Penney - too close to call but i loved watching the likes of Blundell, Leo, McIndoe, Green, Ravenhill, Morley, Albrighton & Warrington. I'll go Penney - at least he could talk to the media!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2012, 03:41:18 pm by graingrover »
Bremner for the way he developed the youth .... Doherty for setting me on a life time mission... Dave Penney for raising us from the ashes.... and cos he is such a genuine and positive guy.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2012, 06:13:43 pm by glosterred »
Cannot believe no one has gone for Dean Saunders - perhaps its to early for him to be included?

COYR

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2012, 06:33:36 pm by selby »
George Raynor put most of the team Mcmenamy won the champioship with and also braught KING ALICK back to football.
Also managed Sweden to runners up to Brazil 1958 so has got to be up there.
Finished with football to look after his sick daughter so also got his priorities right.
Great visionary  who was years in front of his time but never given a chance with a big club in England.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 30, 2012, 06:38:39 pm by RoversAlias »
What he did with the Swedes has no bearing on us tbf :P. But yes, from history I know Raynor to have a good reputation with the club.

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2012, 06:57:44 pm by colin cramb »
easy!!

Sammy Chung

TinyPortal © 2005-2012