Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:47:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Big Match Revisited ITV4  (Read 3533 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
The Big Match Revisited ITV4
« on May 26, 2012, 09:05:49 am by Capmeister »
Derby v Fulham. 1-0 to Derby. Fulham miss out on promotion and Derby avoid the drop. 14th May 1983. Sean O'Driscoll just got subbed after failing to defend against Davidson's volley.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Re: The Big Match Revisited ITV4
« Reply #1 on May 26, 2012, 09:20:30 am by Capmeister »
We were relegated that year to the 4th. Another awful season

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 26, 2012, 09:35:46 am by wilts rover »
Is that the match that never finished? Big pitch invasion about 2 minutes from the end, so they all ran off - and never came back?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 26, 2012, 10:45:40 am by vaya »
Is that the match that never finished? Big pitch invasion about 2 minutes from the end, so they all ran off - and never came back?

Yep - you missed the Mekon-headed Fred Dinage explaining the situation post-match to the 1983 TV nation, and Malcom MacDonald arguing that fans kicking players was probably outside the rules of the game.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 28, 2012, 12:44:59 pm by Capmeister »
Quality description of Fred. Wonder whether he's still shuffling about on this mortal coil? And that's got me thinking about other commentators. Remember Keith Macklin? I that it was he who commentated on Rovers v Town at the old Leeds road. I was beside myself. We were on TV. I went with my Dad. Think Bobby Owen and Tony Woodcock were upfront for us. Think we won 2-1. Aaahhh, the nostalgia

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 28, 2012, 01:49:22 pm by nice one rovers »
Aye, Fred Dinenage (correct spelling)MBE is still at it, he was a Director at Portsmouth FC for a while.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 28, 2012, 02:25:34 pm by The Red Baron »
Aye, Fred Dinenage (correct spelling)MBE is still at it, he was a Director at Portsmouth FC for a while.

I'm pretty sure he made a cameo appearance in last week's episode of "Lewis," reading the local news (there was an item about Lewis and Hathaway catching a drug baron).

Fred's daughter is a Tory MP.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 28, 2012, 02:27:36 pm by 1879Rovers »
He is the presenter on the local evening news in the South of England (Meridian tonight). I still think of him on How and Gambit.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2012, 02:28:39 pm by The Red Baron »
Quality description of Fred. Wonder whether he's still shuffling about on this mortal coil? And that's got me thinking about other commentators. Remember Keith Macklin? I that it was he who commentated on Rovers v Town at the old Leeds road. I was beside myself. We were on TV. I went with my Dad. Think Bobby Owen and Tony Woodcock were upfront for us. Think we won 2-1. Aaahhh, the nostalgia

I think the one you're thinking about was in the 1975-76 season- we did win 2-1. I didn't go to the game but I did watch it on the Sunday afternoon. Keith Macklin was the commentator. I think Peter Kitchen and Brendan O'Callaghan would have been up front- although I have a nagging feeling one of them missed the game. Certainly it was before Tony Woodcock and Bobby Owen's time and those two never played together.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2012, 03:04:33 pm by Surrey Rover »
Kitch missed out RB and was replaced up front by Martin Alesinoye. Alan Murray put Rovers 1-0 up after around 15 minutes, Terry Gray made it 1-1 beore half time after some typically woeful defending from Peter Creamer and Brendan O'Callaghan got the Rovers winner in the 2nd half.

Tony Woodcock played at Leeds Road the following season (October 76) during his loan spell in a match Rovers lost 2-1.

Bobby Owen joined Rovers in the summer of 1978.

Does anyone still have a copy of that Huddersfield v Rovers match played in 1976?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:49:02 pm by Surrey Rover »

GM-MarkB

« Reply #10 on May 28, 2012, 07:23:36 pm by GM-MarkB »
Off on a slight tangent....it's a mystrey to me how it took ITV so long to put this on National telly instead of keeping it confined to the Midlands for so long. It totally pi$$ed on Swap Shop et al.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88K181DJ8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDopWvAgSVI&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:26:45 pm by GM-MarkB »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012