Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:56:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Crewe  (Read 9253 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Crewe
« on May 27, 2012, 06:34:03 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Did anyone watch the league two play off final today ?

really impressed with them today and as they have 9 out of 11 in their team from their academy

be interesting if we could do something similar as to bringing players into the first team from our youth system

to be honest if DS was to leave i'd definetly have their manager in... has done a brilliant job to be honest

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SIRFRAN

• Forum Member
Re: Crewe
« Reply #1 on May 27, 2012, 06:52:31 pm by SIRFRAN »
Premiership interest in some of there players so unfortunately for them they will lose a few but they have been good to watch!

Crewe have produced well through there academy for years! Its a decent setup and is good to see - as good as it is to see for crewe fans though they never have big success as a club do they!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 27, 2012, 07:35:12 pm by hoolahoop »
Delighted for the Alex. fans, we've had some great games with them over the years and I love the ethos /set-up of the club. Deserved..........definitely and well done to you all.

GloucesterRover31

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 27, 2012, 09:34:32 pm by GloucesterRover31 »
I've just got back from wembley after watching the play off final (went with the cheltenham fans). I honestly think after watching the game and assessing players, rovers should look at signing scott brown the cheltenham keeper. Great shot stopper and the kick on the lad is unreal ( hit the target man every time and the oppositions area without bouncing) and availible on a free.
Also jermain mcglashen (winger) and jombati (defender) would add something to the team. As for crews first goal unstopable and nick powells destined for the  premireship it was apparent after 5 minuites that he was a class apart.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 27, 2012, 11:12:56 pm by roverstillidie91 »
If i was Powell though i would probably stay with Crewe another season because he's playing first team football and only 17/18 or however old he is

and if he was to join man utd or someone he would probably be playing in the reserves so better all round for another season in the first team at Crewe

unless he opts to join Arsenal where like oxlade-chamberlain he might just get a opportunity to shine

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 27, 2012, 11:25:19 pm by RedJ »
If i was Powell though i would probably stay with Crewe another season because he's playing first team football and only 17/18 or however old he is

and if he was to join man utd or someone he would probably be playing in the reserves so better all round for another season in the first team at Crewe

unless he opts to join Arsenal where like oxlade-chamberlain he might just get a opportunity to shine

on the other hand, United (using your example) could end up loaning him back out again to pick up experience

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 28, 2012, 12:21:02 pm by donnyroversfc »
Few rumours that Man U will sign Powell then loan him back out to Crewe, best of both worlds for him. Their clubs strategy is MUCH better than our/McKay's 'loan any t**t and pretend he's good, when he's actually not' strategy. 

I hope John Ryan watched yesterday's game and realised what a laughably pathetic thing he did last season. Bunch of amateurs our club.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 28, 2012, 03:21:22 pm by Donnybob »
SOD wanted to do what Crewe have done and develop from within even if it meant yo-yoing between League One and the Championship. It was the sustainable option. He was over-ruled. Suddenly it's all the rage, what a brilliant strategy, let's do a Crewe! Let's nick their manager (just f*** Saunders off, I presume?).

Now we're all in League One together. Let's hope what we're left with is sustainable because you can forget the bookies odds, we're in deeper shit than ever and the reality is we've a useless manager who's waiting to offload any semblance of talent he's got on the books to anyone who'll make him an offer. Fair Play rules dictate that we cannot 'speculate to accumulate' so we've got to make do with what we've got and what we've got will be looking out for better prospects no matter what they say to journalists.

Wait till the exodus starts and then see how we're fixed. Let's face it, those players who were sidelined because of the Board's experiment owe this manager no favours at all so who can blame them for leaving not so much a sinking ship but one that's sunk.

And hats off to that man who pointed a finger at who instigated the experiment... That'll go down like a lead balloon but it's time someone spoke a bit of truth for a change.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2012, 04:39:24 pm by RoversAlias »
For a change? You must be joking. I read donnyroversfc's post and thought 'give it a rest, it has been done to DEATH'.

And it has, it really has on this forum. I'm beyond sick of reading about criticism of the experiment, McKay, Saunders and everything else that went on this season.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2012, 05:34:05 pm by donnyroversfc »
You have too repeat yourself on this forum, because the place is full of sad individuals who persist on slating anyone who criticises the decisions made by our (totally amateur, and out of depth) board.

I'll happily talk about the McKay thing as much as i want to. Their is still deluded people (very thick ones) out there that think the whole 'experiment' was a good thing ffs.

But yeah, Crewe are quality. Love the way their club is run, also love the fact that even when things we're going bad for them that they never once ran off crying to a football agent and prostituted themselves out. Good club, with people in charge high up who know what they are doing.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 28, 2012, 06:59:35 pm by idler »
Directors that have made as much as our main three may not always make the best decision available but cannot be called amateur and out of their depth.
Also a lot of so called very thick people on here can spell much better than you. :)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 28, 2012, 07:40:09 pm by dickos1 »
Not being funny, if sod wanted to build from within, then why didn't he? We never had anyone in the first team from our youth team for any length of time and the ones we all thought were half decent he moved on.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 28, 2012, 07:48:34 pm by dumbroofer »
and as you put it,the ones we thought good enough have they pulled up trees at their respective clubs?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 28, 2012, 07:52:59 pm by dickos1 »
No but what evidence is there that he wanted to build from within? This season we've given more contracts out and longer contracts than ever before. Certainly over the last ten years

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 28, 2012, 08:19:00 pm by bedale rover »
No but what evidence is there that he wanted to build from within? This season we've given more contracts out and longer contracts than ever before. Certainly over the last ten years

SOD did want some young players coming through and was instrumental in recruiting paul wilson from scunny but you need time to bring through young players and usually they come along in groups as they seem to encourage each other

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 28, 2012, 08:59:52 pm by stuey »

Let's hope what we're left with is sustainable because you can forget the bookies odds, we're in deeper shit than ever

Deeper shit than EVER??? Really? Were you not around in 97/98????

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 29, 2012, 12:31:12 am by roverstillidie91 »
Wasn't Paul Wilson recruited before SO'D became manager ?

have to say i'd love it if we followed crewe's model and had a few local players in the team

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 29, 2012, 09:58:34 am by Donnybob »

[/quote]

Sunshine, I was around in 1967/68 never mind 30 years later when you seem to think the world began. I watched 3 decades of mostly pain and torture long before you arrived.

Wake up and smell the coffee. This is what Saunders said when he came in:

'My job is to change the personnel and get people in who can do their jobs properly at this level. There are players at this club who have scars from losing so many games'.

In other words he told the existing players they weren't good enough. He replaced them with what, in his opinion, were (and I quote again), 'a plethora of potential match winners'. They were not. They were shite. Individually talented, but no team ethic and ineptly led hence the catastrophic run of results leading to relegation. The only games we won after Christmas were with the old brigade, the cast offs, who are better than both you and Saunders give credit for.

Alas their value today, after being deemed not good enough to get into the worst team in the league last year, the first to be relegated in the entire country, I'd suggest it's dwindled away to pretty much zero. There's a fire sale on at the Keepmoat right now, everything must go, name your price - and there are still no takers. How can you then expect these players to pledge loyalty Saunders? Or the Board? Or take a massive pay cut?

If we don't reduce the wage bill we will be in contravention of the FFP rules and will not be allowed to sign anyone. It costs money to terminate contracts, money that can only be spent once and might have gone on new blood, but would you trust your cash with a clown who regarded the mercenaries as 'a plethora of matchwinners'? His judgement is fundamentaly flawed. That's the predicament we're in.

I hope you've not thrown away your League Two Satnav yet because I'll gamble you'll need it before you'll need the Championship one again. JR bottled it. He threw the baby out with the bathwater. Jingoism is fine and dandy for selling season tickets but reality is what you may have to face when pre-season training begins in 32 days time.

Do you seriously think we'll be ready with anything like a finalised squad by then? Of course we wont!

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 29, 2012, 11:48:17 am by ctay »
Well thought out response, and some very good points. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks we are in for a massive struggle next season.

For me the experiment was a role of the dice as we had run out of ideas and money. Did it work, no, not at all. The issue as you have rightly pointed out is the lasting effects. I dont think we are in a melt down situation just yet. I still trust JR to sort this out.

I didnt see or hear anything that tells me DS is the man turn this round. If he does then I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 29, 2012, 12:22:13 pm by drfc1951 »

SOD did want some young players coming through and was instrumental in recruiting paul wilson from scunny but you need time to bring through young players and usually they come along in groups as they seem to encourage each other

What happened to Robbie Clarke and Fisher who SOD brought through from the youth team, There must have been others but i cant think of any.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 29, 2012, 01:37:03 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Paul Wilson was recruited whilst DP was in charge. As for Sean I can tell you he thought the youth set up and the Rovers Alliance was a gimmick and that as a club we should have looked at what the other local clubs produced and try to get them e.g Baxendale.

What happened last season was wrong but I'm sick of reading both donnyroversfc and Donnybob's endless knowall postings.

We all have opinions and voicing them on forums is what they are for but not for cramming them down people's throats, give it a rest the pair of you, we all know where you stand.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 29, 2012, 05:15:58 pm by Donnybob »
Ooooh, touchy, eh?

Some of us are equally sick of the worth a punt, we should nick this or that guy when the truth is we can't go for anyone until the mess that's been created is resolved. There is no long term plan. Fact is we've a shit manager appointed in haste by a knee-jerk board and all we've got to look forward to right now is waiting for good players to walk away.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 29, 2012, 05:46:50 pm by stuey »

Sunshine, I was around in 1967/68 never mind 30 years later when you seem to think the world began. I watched 3 decades of mostly pain and torture long before you arrived.

Wake up and smell the coffee. This is what Saunders said when he came in:

'My job is to change the personnel and get people in who can do their jobs properly at this level. There are players at this club who have scars from losing so many games'.

In other words he told the existing players they weren't good enough. He replaced them with what, in his opinion, were (and I quote again), 'a plethora of potential match winners'. They were not. They were shite. Individually talented, but no team ethic and ineptly led hence the catastrophic run of results leading to relegation. The only games we won after Christmas were with the old brigade, the cast offs, who are better than both you and Saunders give credit for.

Alas their value today, after being deemed not good enough to get into the worst team in the league last year, the first to be relegated in the entire country, I'd suggest it's dwindled away to pretty much zero. There's a fire sale on at the Keepmoat right now, everything must go, name your price - and there are still no takers. How can you then expect these players to pledge loyalty Saunders? Or the Board? Or take a massive pay cut?

If we don't reduce the wage bill we will be in contravention of the FFP rules and will not be allowed to sign anyone. It costs money to terminate contracts, money that can only be spent once and might have gone on new blood, but would you trust your cash with a clown who regarded the mercenaries as 'a plethora of matchwinners'? His judgement is fundamentaly flawed. That's the predicament we're in.

I hope you've not thrown away your League Two Satnav yet because I'll gamble you'll need it before you'll need the Championship one again. JR bottled it. He threw the baby out with the bathwater. Jingoism is fine and dandy for selling season tickets but reality is what you may have to face when pre-season training begins in 32 days time.

Do you seriously think we'll be ready with anything like a finalised squad by then? Of course we wont!
[/quote]

Fair points mate, but just a few things. Firstly, you missed my point, i think you assumed i started watching DRFC in 97/98, i didnt. For what it's worth, I started watching them in the late 70's. My point about 97/98 was aimed at what happened that season, Richardson/Weaver etc. Surely you cant think the situation we are in now, in any way, compares to what happened then??

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 29, 2012, 07:01:27 pm by whisky »
Donnybob, what do you actually get out of supporting Doncaster Rovers ?
And what are you trying to achieve with your campaign to get the rest of us to come round to your way of thinking ? For me following Doncaster Rovers is my passion and my hobby, I dont agree with everything the club does but personally as a suppoter I find its much more fun to concentrate on the positives and let the management and board (and people like yourself) worry about the negatives.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 29, 2012, 08:19:42 pm by Donnybob »
You know that's a great question. What do I actually get...?

Soundbites is the only answer that springs to mind. Oh, and abuse for respecting what was good about the club. And being reminded of where we're heading as history repeats itself. And knee jerk planning. If there's anything else I'll let you know.

Like you I would love to concentrate on the positives but having spent nearly 8 months looking I have to say I'm still having no joy in locating them. Can you point me to where they're hidden?

Wouldn't it be better if the club laid it on the line, 'Look we're sorry. We f****d up big style, made catastrophic appointments, wasted money on a fantasy that could never work and it looks like we've got to go back to the drawing board and start all over again. We weren't unlucky to go down, it was our own fault, we got too ambitious and carried away, living an impossible dream and the result is we can't be sure we won't go down again.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 29, 2012, 08:56:51 pm by whisky »
If you really need me to list the positive things about supporting Doncaster Rovers I fear you really have lost your sense of perception and your view of our club is clouded by negativity.

In response to your final paragraph the answer is yes. However it would only be better for you as it would prove you to be correct. I fail to see how that statement would be beneficial in any other way.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 29, 2012, 09:02:10 pm by donnyroversfc »
If you really need me to list the positive things about supporting Doncaster Rovers I fear you really have lost your sense of perception and your view of our club is clouded by negativity.

In response to your final paragraph the answer is yes. However it would only be better for you as it would prove you to be correct. I fail to see how that statement would be beneficial in any other way.

It would make me (and i imagine donnybob too) start respecting the board again.

Although i don't know why donnybob is saying the club was 'too ambitious and carried away'... It was the total opposite to that.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 29, 2012, 09:19:48 pm by whisky »

Although i don't know why donnybob is saying the club was 'too ambitious and carried away'... It was the total opposite to that.

Yeah your right, the board owes you an explanation to gain your respect.Its not like the board has ever done anything in the past for the club to earn the fans respect.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 29, 2012, 09:36:17 pm by donnyroversfc »

Yeah your right, the board owes you an explanation to gain your respect.Its not like the board has ever done anything in the past for the club to earn the fans respect.

They let the fans down this season mate, only fair they should apologies for it.

I do have respect for the board/John Ryan... Just not as much after the past season. An apology would restore that respect back to full.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 29, 2012, 09:59:49 pm by whisky »
Agree to disagree on this one donnyroversfc. Personally I don't feel like the board owes me as a fan anything. They have already done more than enough and I'm sure they will continue to do their best for the club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012