Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:28:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers style of football 12/13  (Read 3370 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Rovers style of football 12/13
« on June 26, 2012, 01:13:28 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Was just having a think about England and possession football and the fact we was going route one most of the time and the fact we need to develop players who are good in the ball

just thinking i wonder if Saunders plans to play attractive passing football next season with obviously the needs to go direct if needs be?? and also whether he is going to adopt 4-4-2 again in the AGM meeting next month

or unless it was just a short term tactic just with Roy Hodgson at the euro's

i reckon if we play like SO'D got us to play we should have good success like we did the last time round in league one

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:16:48 pm by roverstillidie91 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers style of football 12/13
« Reply #1 on June 26, 2012, 02:16:01 pm by Wild Rover »
To play the O'driscoll way takes a certain sort of player, one who rarely crosses the halfway line, weaves pretty patterns with his runs, passes backward / sideways a lot and rarely tackles, and gets injured a lot.
Dont think Saunders will have too many of those.

Saunders will adopt a fluid 4-3-3 of that i am sure.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 26, 2012, 03:39:59 pm by DearneValleyRover »
We will play at a much higher tempo and be expected to close the opposition down more quickly when we don't have the ball.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 26, 2012, 03:48:31 pm by Drover »
I get a sense Deano's team will be similar to Dave Penneys.Work rate and effort,like you say closing the opposition down,staying strong on the ball etc.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 26, 2012, 08:25:44 pm by drfcsteve »
To play the O'driscoll way takes a certain sort of player, one who rarely crosses the halfway line, weaves pretty patterns with his runs, passes backward / sideways a lot and rarely tackles, and gets injured a lot.

You forgot to mention the type of player that wins the league trophy, gets a promotion, and stays in the Championship for 4 years against all the odds.

I suspect you're the kind of bloke that finds Spain boring to watch cos they don't hoof it to the big man upfront. What makes you so sure Saunders will adopt a 'fluid' 4-3-3? Didn't see any of that last season.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 26, 2012, 09:13:18 pm by Wild Rover »
And you also know that a lot of luck was with DRFC in that era.

Whats the point of passing hundreds of times around half way line if a shot on goal is not the end result. Just take the much lauded 30 pass movement V QPR. Not a scene in there  where Centre line is not visible. I like Spain style, I like Arsenal Style, I like Man City Style, I like Man Utd style, I like Spurs style. All moves generally involve a shot or cross or something. Rarely did that happen at DRFC.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 26, 2012, 09:26:33 pm by andysly »
Where was all this luck? 90% of it was against us.
Can't work some folk out, without doubt the recent Donny side were the best for a minimum of 50 odd years, arguably of all time and yet "fans" pull the achievements down.
And the 30 odd pass move against QPR would've ended with at least a shot on goal if Sharpy hadn't been brought down on the edge of the area.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 26, 2012, 10:05:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Why does one type of football have to be better than another, SOD just like Penney before him and Hodgson and Guardiola and most managers is guilty of one big mistake, failure to change when things aren't working.

Plan A from all of them is superb (Penney included in fact his plan A excited me more than SOD's, I'm not a huge fan of slow passing football, I do prefer the up and at them style), but all of them struggle when it comes to changing.  SOD was great against technical sides but against a physical side when it wasn't working we were weak and that's undeniable.

I guess the point is there is no such thing as perfect and that it's all about the battle with the opposition, not IMO SOD's strongest point or Saunders, though both have had success at changing things.

But just as SOD got a chance so will Saunders, lets see how his goes and lets hope he gets the style of football I care about most, that's the one that wins, nobody complains then.  But if we play exciting stuff that will generate more interst than SOD's style.  Some see it as a criticsm of English football, for me it's just more exciting.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 26, 2012, 10:50:27 pm by Wild Rover »
Can't work some folk out, without doubt the recent Donny side were the best for a minimum of 50 odd years, arguably of all time and yet "fans" pull the achievements down.
And the 30 odd pass move against QPR would've ended with at least a shot on goal if Sharpy hadn't been brought down on the edge of the area.

Now look back without rose tinted glasses, i can think of better sides at DRFC, mind you i have been watching over 50 years, sucess was had by SOD side, doesnt make them the best to watch or support, unless you are a glory hunter, As BFYP eloquently pointed out, exitement is what i crave, something that could not be levelled at SOD side, unless 1-0 or 0-1 tippy - tappy suits you. Not for me. would prefer powerful football, not route 1, but powerful.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 26, 2012, 11:27:14 pm by Chris Black come back »

You forgot to mention the type of player that wins the league trophy, gets a promotion, and stays in the Championship for 4 years against all the odds.

I suspect you're the kind of bloke that finds Spain boring to watch cos they don't hoof it to the big man upfront. What makes you so sure Saunders will adopt a 'fluid' 4-3-3? Didn't see any of that last season.

Yep, all of that drfcsteve, but injured. Definitely injured most of the time.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 26, 2012, 11:56:50 pm by roverstillidie91 »
I'd rather see us play like germany than spain to be honest

possession football with a dose of aggression to it which i think saunders will observe the players to do

but i also like the fact we have got chris brown as a route one player for us

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 29, 2012, 01:44:13 am by RobTheRover »

Just to add to that, possession football is all about pulling the opposition into areas they dont want to be in , to break their discipline, to get them to chase and harry for just a sniff of the football, and to create space for your flair players to exploit.  Teams generally have to work harder without the ball than with it, and like a lot of things in football its habit forming.  Dont give a team much of a sight of the ball in the opening 10 minutes and that sets the tone for the match.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012