Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:07:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Giles Barnes.  (Read 6887 times)

stevedrfc

• Forum Member
Giles Barnes.
« on July 08, 2012, 09:48:08 pm by stevedrfc »
Former Rovers midfielder Giles Barnes has joined Greek side PAOK on trial with a view to a permanent deal.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redrover10

• Forum Member
Re: Giles Barnes.
« Reply #1 on July 08, 2012, 09:49:53 pm by redrover10 »
Where you seen this info

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 08, 2012, 09:53:30 pm by dknward2 »
Rovers twitter site

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 08, 2012, 09:54:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
How can this story possibly be true?  The article below in the Daily Mail from March this year said Barnes (a bit part player at best in a team heading out of the Championship in embarrassing fashion) was going direct to a Premier League team - and a Premier League team in England as well. How odd he has had to go on trial in a third rank European league? Must surely be some mistake.

Former England Under-21 international Giles Barnes will spark a transfer scramble amongst a clutch of Premier League clubs in the summer.

A host of top-flight sides are keeping tabs on the Doncaster midfielder with a view to a move ahead of next season.

Swansea and Everton are among the clubs who have sent scouts to watch Barnes in recent weeks, while promotion chasers West Ham are also taking an interest.

Barnes’ displays for Dean Saunders’ side have also attracted interest from overseas with Sampdoria and Lorient also tracking the former West Bromwich and Derby man.

The promising midfielder’s career has stalled in recent seasons due to a cruciate ligament injury which kept him on the sidelines for 18 months.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #4 on July 08, 2012, 10:00:39 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Well what do you know ....someone is post crap on the forum , you just don't credit it.

redrover10

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 08, 2012, 10:11:24 pm by redrover10 »
It's on sky sports news aswell

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 08, 2012, 11:50:31 pm by hoolahoop »
PAOK of lies the lot of it.   :coat:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 09, 2012, 02:05:04 am by RoversAlias »
Thankfully he's not here anymore and that's all that matters really.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 09, 2012, 12:32:40 pm by RobTheRover »
I was excited when Barnes signed, but it appeared his internal compass was off kilter as he had this inability to actually pass the ball forward.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 09, 2012, 12:35:07 pm by PaulRover08 »
I was excited when Barnes signed, but it appeared his internal compass was off kilter as he had this inability to actually pass the ball forward.

Couldn't agree more. He hid in games thinking if I only pass to a center back then i'll look a tidy player. At least the likes of Oster (who was largley awful last season) did at least try and take some responsibility for starting attacks.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 09, 2012, 12:42:26 pm by MachoMadness »
I was excited when we signed him, but he was painfully anonymous every time I saw him. No loss at all.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 09, 2012, 12:47:18 pm by Drover »
How can this story possibly be true?  The article below in the Daily Mail from March this year said Barnes (a bit part player at best in a team heading out of the Championship in embarrassing fashion) was going direct to a Premier League team - and a Premier League team in England as well. How odd he has had to go on trial in a third rank European league? Must surely be some mistake.

Former England Under-21 international Giles Barnes will spark a transfer scramble amongst a clutch of Premier League clubs in the summer.

A host of top-flight sides are keeping tabs on the Doncaster midfielder with a view to a move ahead of next season.

Swansea and Everton are among the clubs who have sent scouts to watch Barnes in recent weeks, while promotion chasers West Ham are also taking an interest.

Barnes’ displays for Dean Saunders’ side have also attracted interest from overseas with Sampdoria and Lorient also tracking the former West Bromwich and Derby man.

The promising midfielder’s career has stalled in recent seasons due to a cruciate ligament injury which kept him on the sidelines for 18 months.

Would not be surprised if some,if not all of that was Agent "Tactics" Talk/rumours,so to speak.At the time,Barne's agent would be preparing in the hope to get him his next good contract.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 09, 2012, 01:26:51 pm by wilts rover »
Isnt he with the same agent as James Coppinger? Who was rumoured to be going to Ipswich last season before Rovers offered him an improved contract?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 09, 2012, 05:40:18 pm by RoversAlias »
Barnes' other big achilles heel was his remarkable ability to make sure every single shot he had went at least 10 yards away from the goal. I remember once he actually banged the ball in the net just after the whistle had gone for offside and I was amazed. The Anti-Barnes forcefield at the nt must automatically turn off when play is stopped.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 09, 2012, 06:23:40 pm by PaulRover08 »
Barnes' other big achilles heel was his remarkable ability to make sure every single shot he had went at least 10 yards away from the goal. I remember once he actually banged the ball in the net just after the whistle had gone for offside and I was amazed. The Anti-Barnes forcefield at the nt must automatically turn off when play is stopped.

Like it. He'd also never heard of a side foot placed shot as everything had to be proper laced

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 28, 2012, 10:03:43 am by Rios »
Sorry to dig up an old thread but...

http://www.dynamotheory.com/2012/8/27/3272384/houston-dynamo-english-midfielder-giles-barnes-in-town

...Premier League my arse.  Now plumbing the depths of the MLS and trying to get on their "roster"!

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 28, 2012, 10:15:46 am by bradford exile »

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 28, 2012, 10:23:13 am by keyser_soze »
Love the way they get his name wrong at the beginning of the second paragraph!

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 28, 2012, 10:57:03 am by nortikorner »
one for the future with martin woods

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 28, 2012, 10:59:52 am by Filo »
Love the way they get his name wrong at the beginning of the second paragraph!

Can`t remember him bursting out into a song either!

He spent some time at West Brom before singing with Doncaster

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 28, 2012, 01:33:38 pm by Rios »
To be fair that link is to a fans site... our official site is of the same quality so we're hardly in a position to be taking the piss!

eastender

• VSC Member

RTID_Peter

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 30, 2012, 01:22:19 am by RTID_Peter »
So much for premier league sides wanting him , his career has gone down the pan and i thought he was very poor while he was here

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 30, 2012, 06:52:41 am by GazLaz »
That's a decent move for him I think. I thought he did well when he moved into the centre of midfield last season. All the best to him.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 30, 2012, 07:33:25 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Really interesting article alongside that showing that US sport is upside down in our terms. The new Portland Timbers coach is coming from a University team. It's unusual for the fact that most coaches don't want to leave University posts because of what's on offer.

At the University of Akron, this guy has total control over hiring and firing, probably has a job for life because he won an important match once and is earning $350k pa! He's moving to more pressure, less money, less control and little job security.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 30, 2012, 02:25:14 pm by RoversAlias »
I like how that article says he played for us in the English Third Division last season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012