Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:34:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sharp interview  (Read 4374 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SIRFRAN

• Forum Member
Re: Sharp interview
« Reply #1 on July 14, 2012, 10:40:41 am by SIRFRAN »
Hats off to Billy and Jade on the way they are dealing with there loss and the work they are doing currently to raise awareness!! 2 amazing people!!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 14, 2012, 10:44:07 am by MrFrost »
Can't deny reading that brough a tear to the eye. Billy is an inspiration.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 14, 2012, 11:25:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Great article that despite being so tough to read. Its great to read how good everyone was to them but still such a shame.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 14, 2012, 11:28:22 am by rover-n-out »
So sad to read that. God bless the three of them.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 14, 2012, 12:23:28 pm by Donnywolf »
Terribly sad but it seems to be therapeutic for them to speak openly like that

BS has gone ever higher in my regard for him

Dont know if they can have another child and too presumptuous of me to ask whether they even want another but God willing lets hope whatever they want to happen happens

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 14, 2012, 12:30:17 pm by 1879Rovers »
Very hard to read without welling up.

I am not sure how I could have coped with something like that at such a young age. It came close to happening to me when I was in my late 30's and it was the hardest month of my life, seeing my little lad helpless in a special care baby unit. Thankfully my lad pulled through.

As the above poster commented, I hope Billy and Jade get everything they wish for in the future, they deserve it. I will certainly be cheering the lad on in the Premier League next season.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 14, 2012, 12:47:53 pm by newyankee »

It's not easy, in fact it broke up my marriage. I had a 21/2 year old daughter who drwned in a garden pond in Barnby Dun, as if this was not bad enough we then had a little boy who, at the age of 3 weeks contracted e coli from his formula.  He was on a life support machine until I was told it was of no use and asked by the Doctors to switch off the machine.

My then wife accused me of murdering our son by the action I had taken, the mind works in peculier ways at times. We never got over that and so our marriage couldn't survive.  You do need people to talk to you about what has happened, friends, not doctors, who can help by giving support.

The problem is twofold, they don't realise that talking about the dead child is what you WANT to do, ( they are frightened they may upset you), and, after a short while they go back to thieir own lives.

Please, anyone who knows Billy and Jade, or anyone else in similar circumstances, support them, talk to them, ask them questions, that's what they want, and therefore that's what everyone else should want.

Good luck Billy and Jade, you are not the first and, unfortunately you will not be the last to lose a child, something people say should never happen.   Talk about your son, explain what happened, raise awareness and, although it won't bring him back, it will make you feel he hasn't gone, until you are ready to let go.

Good luck at Saints, and in the rest of your career.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 16, 2012, 11:57:25 am by ctay »
Very sad, but inspiring too. I know someone who have gone through the same kind of thing recently and it is heartbreaking.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 16, 2012, 01:30:02 pm by RobTheRover »
My twin boys were born 9 weeks prematurely (on the day Rovers beat Rotherham 2-0 at OBV in a preseason friendly before we stormed to the Div3 title) and the worry for them was immense.  Although my 2 turned out fine (they are 9 in a couple of weeks) I know a little of the anguish and feeling of total helplessness Billy and Jade will have felt, and probably still do.

Its funny isnt it, but Billy is still definitely one of "us".  There arent many former players receive that honour, and a shorter list still of players like that who score a brace against us and retain that status.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 16, 2012, 08:02:26 pm by newyankee »

Very pleased things went well for you Rob. I know this may sound funny, but a lot of things have happened in my life since those days which would never have do ne so had things been different.

I almost died with Crohn's Disease and then got a job where the company sponsored the Donny lads to go to Milwaukee for the Wigan/ Warrington game, I went and there met the present Mrs ?. From there I got a job with the Dons as Commercial Manager and then had ten years in the game working with people like Alex Murphy, Neil Fox and many more legends of the game, and Dave Parker!!!!

My wife finally wanted to come back home and so nearly thirteen years ago we did. I  have ended up with the best job I have ever had, a standard of living far better than in England and a new family which now includes  a 2 year old grandson and three young Great grand children, plus 5 older grandkids.

You can let things get on top of you, or you can, in time, make things work for you.  One thing that can NEVER happen is for family or friends to push for that to happen too quickly, things MUST take their own course, which is what looks to be happening to Billy and Jade.  I wish them all the best in whatever they do on or off the field.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 16, 2012, 11:21:04 pm by hoolahoop »
It's brilliant to read such a positive thread about such serious events in people's lives.
As for Billy and Jade they will always be part of the Rovers family.  :)
 :scarf:

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 17, 2012, 02:04:35 am by Sandy Lane »
Oh, this thread is making me cry all the way through it even though it is inspiring at the same time.  What I continually find amazing is the resilience and strength people have after suffering terrible, crushing losses or near losses.  It brought back memories of when my daughter was 10 she almost didn't make it.  Well, it was a long haul, but she was one of the lucky ones and is fine today and has grown up to be a caring, intelligent and empathetic young woman.  I changed because of it as well and became a nurse, learned not to judge others, to speak up for what I believe, and overall became a nicer person. 

I also agree that people do want to talk about the loss, etc so if you do know of someone going through something similar, speak to them.  And yes, it also has an affect on your marriage as it's takes it's toll there as well.  Well done to BS and Jade and best wishes to them for the future.

P.S.  Great story and nice to have you in the US, New Yankee, and after 13 years you're practically a true Yankee now! 

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 17, 2012, 02:47:49 am by newyankee »

Thanks for that Sandy, I am glad your daughter was not one the bad stastistics.  As for me being a proper Yankee, that will never happen, I refuse to call it soccer and I still talk about the boot and bonnet, etc.
 The best though is when I told a young lady at work who was feeling depressed to keep her Pecker up. Over here I did not know it meant something completely different to back home. I'll leave you to guess what I'd done.

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 17, 2012, 03:10:23 am by Sandy Lane »
lol.  Yes, that's probably a phrase you should avoid - heehee!  I'm sure she had a good giggle over it though!  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012