Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:25:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rob Jones Definite!  (Read 9627 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Rob Jones Definite!
« Reply #30 on July 29, 2012, 06:04:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Would rather have Richard Naylor and that is my honest opinion.

Five years ago sure, but last season he was not good enough at all. I'm glad Naylor is no longer here.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 29, 2012, 06:23:04 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
He is 33 in a few months time. Not the solution to our defensive problems.

Yeah 33 eh? Positively ancient...I mean, take someone like Kevin Phillips, granted a striker as opposed to a defender (though he did start his career as a defender I believe), he's been no asset to his Club whatsoever since he passed that particular milestone has he?.....Jesus wept.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 29, 2012, 06:31:47 pm by Standanista »
Rob Jones = quality
33 = wee slip of a lad
Me = don't know nowt but very happy with this if it comes off

GVARover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 29, 2012, 06:54:13 pm by GVARover »
Physical presence. Leadership qualities. Experience to support the younger players. Is he world class? No, but probably just what we need for now. Good addition in my opinion - a couple more additions and it could make for a very interesting season!  :scarf:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 29, 2012, 08:25:09 pm by Chris Black come back »

Yeah 33 eh? Positively ancient...I mean, take someone like Kevin Phillips, granted a striker as opposed to a defender (though he did start his career as a defender I believe), he's been no asset to his Club whatsoever since he passed that particular milestone has he?.....Jesus wept.

Think about it first eh? We have a small perhaps a very small squad. We are particularly short at the back. Our only current centre back has a well documented history of being injured on a fairly regular basis. Liam Wakefield is a wee lad and Saunders has already said he is going to be loaned out. We are signing a man who is nearly 33 and it is a physiological fact that a 33 year old pro footballer is going to be much more susceptible to injury than a 23 year old. We need a player now more than ever who can guarantee us pretty much an entire season without injury as there is unlikely to be a queue of people waiting to step into his shoes. Kevin Phillips is yes even older but is a poacher rather than a grafter, and how many of his appearances have been from the bench? We cannot be taking risks with our signing given our tiny budget and tiny squad. Signing a 33 year old as the lynchpin of our defence seems to be just that risk.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 29, 2012, 08:52:40 pm by Red wizard »

Think about it first eh? We have a small perhaps a very small squad. We are particularly short at the back. Our only current centre back has a well documented history of being injured on a fairly regular basis. Liam Wakefield is a wee lad and Saunders has already said he is going to be loaned out. We are signing a man who is nearly 33 and it is a physiological fact that a 33 year old pro footballer is going to be much more susceptible to injury than a 23 year old. We need a player now more than ever who can guarantee us pretty much an entire season without injury as there is unlikely to be a queue of people waiting to step into his shoes. Kevin Phillips is yes even older but is a poacher rather than a grafter, and how many of his appearances have been from the bench? We cannot be taking risks with our signing given our tiny budget and tiny squad. Signing a 33 year old as the lynchpin of our defence seems to be just that risk.
And you think we will only be signing him for cb? we will sign 2-3 cb. That will give us 4 inc Martis. I'm well happy with this and reckon he will be our captain.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 29, 2012, 09:52:20 pm by Lesonthewest »
Not the signing I was hoping for, against Scunny he was awful, but, if he can win a few headers, organise  our defence, & play more than 4 games on the trot, then he should be an improvement! :unsure:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 29, 2012, 10:29:31 pm by ravenrover »
Not living in Doncaster, who is this Rob Staton who everybody seems to be hanging on to every word he says or tweets as though it is gospel?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 29, 2012, 10:31:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
Radio Sheffield sports reporter.

uptonson

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 29, 2012, 10:32:14 pm by uptonson »
Radio Sheffield football man.  He konws a lot.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 29, 2012, 10:33:39 pm by Ldr »

And you think we will only be signing him for cb? we will sign 2-3 cb. That will give us 4 inc Martis. I'm well happy with this and reckon he will be our captain.

You must have had sleepless nights when we had Duggie, Brendan Ormsby and Jack Ashurst at the back!

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 29, 2012, 11:09:19 pm by BRMC_rover »
Jones was bought by Nigel Adkins for 1mil a few seasons ago. When do Scunny ever pay that money for players unless they have a bit about them. He is just what we need and how do we expect any more? Its good to see many on here praising this good signing, I just wonder who those who dont think much to him would suggest we bring in instead? Vidic?

He'l be great and I can see him playing 35+ of our 46 league games. I have no reservations about his injury record. All we need now is Paynter, Le Fondre on loan (otherwise one of the English football leagues most natural scorers will be wasted while in his peak) then someone like Brian Howard in the middle and were sorted.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 29, 2012, 11:12:12 pm by mushRTID »
Scunny never payed anywhere near 1m

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 29, 2012, 11:29:23 pm by BRMC_rover »
HIBERNIAN skipper Rob Jones has joined Scunthorpe United in a deal worth around s350,000.

Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins signed Jones on a three-year deal.

The 6'7 giant centre-back told Scunthorpe's official website: "I wouldn't have moved to the club if I didn't think it could stay in the Championship."

Just checked and yes, I was way off. Sure I read that somewhere??? Either way, top signing for this level.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 29, 2012, 11:31:28 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He was exposed by Billy Sharp because the Scunny defence that season i seem to remember let eighty odd goals in,if you've got one good defender and the rest are no good and a non-existent midfield,you will always let goals in,on age every human being's different it's all about genetics,a player can only go with what nature gave him,some are natural athlete's others have to work very hard to maintain fitness,i think we could possibly get two or three seasons out of Rob Jones :scarf:

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 30, 2012, 12:02:11 am by DC- »
Pretty much a clone of what I said elsewhere but the feeling I get from Wednesday fans is that he's well respected. For a regular player from a team that got promoted from this league last season, that's enough for me.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 30, 2012, 12:07:45 am by Sammy Chung was King »
A Good signing DC,he's got a bit of everything as a defender a lot of them things we've been needing for a long time at the back,i'd be worried if the majority were glad to get rid of him,i think he will change a lot our fans minds who are negative towards him being signed

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 30, 2012, 12:17:42 am by DC- »
Sounds a lot like a potential Graeme Lee.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012