Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:05:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Woods !!  (Read 1801 times)

anton123

• Forum Member
Woods !!
« on August 31, 2012, 09:15:36 pm by anton123 »
Is it just me or does any1 else think he is having a good season
I'm more than happy with his performances so far this season so
Why don't people give him a break ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Al4475

• VSC Member
Re: Woods !!
« Reply #1 on August 31, 2012, 09:17:54 pm by Al4475 »
Presume you're on about Gary - AGREED!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 31, 2012, 09:23:40 pm by jonnydog »
I'm going to give him another 5-10 games. I think we will see a big boost in confidence in him if we continue as we are, plus with a good back 4 and less pressure on him it might be the making of him.

Let's be honest he started being our regular number 1 when we at our worst (more or less) which wouldn't have done any gk any good, let alone one developing at his age.

I hope he comes good, quality shot stopper, just needs to command his area more and to get the gk coach to work on the crossing/set play practice.

RTID
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:33:29 pm by jonnydog »

djoftherovers1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 31, 2012, 09:25:47 pm by djoftherovers1 »
Saw both sides against hull, missed/ flapped at corners then did best save of season late on at 2-2.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 31, 2012, 09:27:48 pm by PaulRover08 »
Saw both sides against hull, missed/ flapped at corners then did best save of season late on at 2-2.

He didn't miss or flap at any corners against Hull. They are called punches and are a legitimate goalkeeping technique. Just ask Casillas who catched naff all but is regarded as best in the world.

Woods is getting better and better and may be a reason we've not gone for Weaver today (yet)

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 31, 2012, 09:34:50 pm by Al4475 »
Was away so can't comment about Hull game! I've said before and will say again - as a GK myself and a GK coach - he has everything in his locker - just needs to put em together long-term - communication to his defenders and distribution of a rolling ball are  his main development points - but the communication between the defenders and him is improving all the time as the likes of Jones, McCoombe, Quinn and Spurr talk to him all the time!

As said in discussion about him before - when was the last time we had a 21 year old goalkeeper just starting out in his career as our Number 1 - I can't remember one really with the exception of Ben Smith (hardly a regular number 1) And the two lads Andy Woods and Craig Davies from 1998ish!

He's coming for crosses and getting some body part on them most of the time - what more can you really ask for when our towering centre-halves are brill at getting their heads to things - but can you tell where it's going without a pure guess - nope! Same thing as a keeper coming out and getting a body part on it to be fair!

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 31, 2012, 09:36:16 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Both Woods's aren't good enough at the moment.  We need to get rid of the pair of them.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 31, 2012, 09:36:56 pm by Capmeister »
He's surrounded by the tallest back four I've ever known at Donny so he's protected to a degree. Just not tall enough for a presence. We need a replacement at keeper, pronto!

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 31, 2012, 09:48:02 pm by stockyboy »
Gary has done well so far. Martin has not.

Only thing with Gary is he doesn't talk enough to his back line, and that is probably down to confidence. It doesn't help when he has thousands of fans on his back whenever he does a tiny thing wrong. But so far looking decent.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2012, 09:52:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
Woods Martin has barely played a competitive game in 18 months! Give him a chance!

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2012, 09:54:40 pm by BigH »
The guy has shown a big improvement on last season's performances and I can start to see see why he was signed. But he still lacks the arrogance around the box that you need as a keeper and unless/until that happens he will be distinctly average. I think he needs 6 months of being beaten up everyday in't nick/crawling over broken glass/living with my missus to toughen him up.

Live in hope.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012