Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:02:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy sharp signs for forest  (Read 2698 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Billy sharp signs for forest
« on August 31, 2012, 09:31:45 pm by Donnyjim »
On a season long loan. Probably his level, will team up nicely with Copps, it's fast becoming Doncaster Forest over there?

It's on twitter
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:34:10 pm by Donnyjim »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
Re: Billy sharp signs for forest
« Reply #1 on August 31, 2012, 09:34:32 pm by PaulRover08 »
On a season long loan. Probably his level, will team up nicely with Copps, it's fast becoming Doncaster Forest over there?

It's on twitter

FFS there is already a thread on this.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 31, 2012, 09:35:06 pm by Alan_Rovers »
I think it's a big backwards step. It's not exactly as if he has failed in his time at Southampton.

Unless there were non-footballing reasons for this decision, he should have given himself at least another five or six months before deciding to move out on loan for the season.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 31, 2012, 09:36:33 pm by Al4475 »
FFS there is already a thread on this.

Yep but we like to repeat a lot! LOL  :P

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 31, 2012, 09:38:39 pm by jonnydog »
Yep but we like to repeat a lot! LOL  :P

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 31, 2012, 09:39:43 pm by Al4475 »
HAHAHA! :woohoo:

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 31, 2012, 09:45:24 pm by Drover »
I know.....

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 31, 2012, 09:45:42 pm by Drover »
I know a thread.......

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 31, 2012, 09:46:08 pm by Drover »
I know a thread that will........

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2012, 09:46:49 pm by Drover »
I know a thread that will get on your nerves!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2012, 09:47:06 pm by Drover »
get on your nerves! :P  :lol:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 31, 2012, 10:08:02 pm by RedJ »
Him and Copps both at the scabs, doesn't half feel like being booted in the ribs..

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 31, 2012, 10:10:54 pm by mushRTID »
Agreed red J. Deflated this evening.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 31, 2012, 10:18:25 pm by JonWallsend »
Why does it feel like being booted in the ribs? Forest are in the league above us, a bigger fanbase and history than we could ever aspire to and in charge is a man for whom both Copps and Billy have tremendous admiration and a desire to play for.

It was always going to happen that SOD would try to sign players that he had already worked with- he did the exact same thing when he took over at Rovers.

It doesn't worry me- we are not in direct competiton with Forest- and I'm actually happy with the signings we are making given our league one budget and attendances.

Good luck to em.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2012, 10:21:55 pm by IDM »
Why are we too concerned with ex-players?  Let's look ahead, with what we've got and what we will get?

As for Billy, who's to say - perhaps he wasn't settled down south, but I am surprised he's dropped out of the prem so soon. 

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2012, 10:32:56 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Good luck Billy & Copps. SOD knows you & you know him.

Billy gets games in the 1st team on a regular basis that he wasn't gauranteed at Southampton (their loss in IMO).

Copps will be playing at a level & in front of crowds he 'deserves' at this point in his career.

For us?

Life continues as ever. RTID.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 31, 2012, 10:37:18 pm by RedJ »
Why does it feel like being booted in the ribs? Forest are in the league above us, a bigger fanbase and history than we could ever aspire to and in charge is a man for whom both Copps and Billy have tremendous admiration and a desire to play for.

It was always going to happen that SOD would try to sign players that he had already worked with- he did the exact same thing when he took over at Rovers.

It doesn't worry me- we are not in direct competiton with Forest- and I'm actually happy with the signings we are making given our league one budget and attendances.

Good luck to em.

I can't disagree with any of that, I never was working on fact.

I guess that's what happens when you let sentiment get in the way and forget that at the end of the day it's business and it's a profession.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 31, 2012, 10:40:25 pm by JonWallsend »

Good luck to em.

I can't disagree with any of that, I never was working on fact.

I guess that's what happens when you let sentiment get in the way and forget that at the end of the day it's business and it's a profession.

Fair enough. I felt exactly the same way when Ian Snodin departed to Leeds for a then club record fee. Always a place for sentiment.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 01, 2012, 01:06:11 am by RobTheRover »
Group hug, anyone?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 01, 2012, 01:19:44 am by Filo »
Group hug, anyone?

No thanks, I feel like we`ve been kicked in the teeth big style, Billy was n`t our player, but he left us to pursue his premiership dream, he`s played about 10 minutes in the Premiership and now he`s back where he started. SOD has waited until the last minute to get Copps, he`s known he was available for a long time, but waited until we were on the road to Yeovil before making his move, that gave us little to no chance to get a replacement in before the Window closed, having said that, Saunders has said many times this week that he had players lined up should there be movement out of the club, that line of players have gone missing, I`m disappointed, deflated and fed up of being spun a yarn, our squad is massively short on numbers and this time tomorrow we could have a crisis on our hands if we sustain a couple of injuries tomorrow. Back to the Copps loan, we`re taking a massive risk loaning him out, should he sustain a serious injury while on loan we will be lumbered with his wages once the loan expires in January, where would that leave us in relation to our budget?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 01, 2012, 01:26:15 am by mushRTID »
Agree Filo. Iv not felt this deflated for a long time as a rovers fan.

More the fact Coppinger has gone to be honest. He was one of us. Hope he comes out and mentions DRFC and fans as we deserve it for the support we've given him.

Not sure why we're all getting hung up on Billy. We all knew he saw us as a stepping stone. Why else would those terms have been in his contract meaning we got sod all for him? End of the day RoVers fans worshipped Billy. I'd be surprised if he gave us a second thought the day after he left. Harsh but true.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 01, 2012, 07:36:42 am by Chris Black come back »
I am sure Billy has lots of good memories here as he rebuilt his career. What really grates though is how very little we ended up with him. We'd have been much better flogging him for 3.5m last summer and letting SOD have some money to spend on replacementS - rather than leaving us screwed when he got Dunked on the very first game of the season. 1.8 million is an absolute disgrace, an insult, theft, robbery.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 01, 2012, 08:28:25 am by Not Now Kato »
I am sure Billy has lots of good memories here as he rebuilt his career. What really grates though is how very little we ended up with him. We'd have been much better flogging him for 3.5m last summer and letting SOD have some money to spend on replacementS - rather than leaving us screwed when he got Dunked on the very first game of the season. 1.8 million is an absolute disgrace, an insult, theft, robbery.

Sadly, what happened with Billy is symptomatic of one of the things that is wrong with football today...... Contracts are skewed in favour of the player.

Billy didn't have to go when we were offered 3.5mand chose not to.  He had a clause in his contract that allowed that, and a clause that would trigger any offer above a certain figure allowing him to choose to go if he so wished.  Billy exercised both clauses.

Blame the people who negotiated his contract if you like, but it won't change history.

Maybe it's time football clubs took a little longer to ensure that any contract was favourable to both the player and the club, (and its fans - the very people who pay these wages).

In the mean time, it's time to move on.  Good luck to the lad and all, but he's no longer anything to do with DRFC.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012