Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:26:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: DRFC u/9 what's the problem ?  (Read 1641 times)

johnmagson

• Forum Member
DRFC u/9 what's the problem ?
« on September 23, 2012, 06:29:43 pm by johnmagson »
Posted recent scores only but negative comments about concerns about winning and general moaning about there 2 young but vsc have just sponsored 2 teams!! At what age do people think is suitable for a rovers side? As under 9 has nothing but critism saying there 2 young!!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: DRFC u/9 what's the problem ?
« Reply #1 on September 23, 2012, 06:33:07 pm by silent majority »
John,

Welcome to Viking Chat! You should ignore the totally negative stuff and carry on posting.

AS you so rightly say we have sponsored two of the youth teams, the U13's and 14's at a considerable sum I might add, but our Tomorrows Rovers appeal is going well, but always room for more effort. Watch out for some news on this in the next week or so.

johnmagson

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 23, 2012, 07:29:19 pm by johnmagson »
Thank u so much I like people who are positive

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 23, 2012, 08:17:55 pm by dknward2 »
My nephew has been training once a week for west ham and once a week for Colchester he's seven and all both teams are interested in making sure they have fun

When they do play games against each other the result is the last thing of importance

I agree with you in the other write up winning every game by a huge score line is no good neither is losing a string of games 

Just hope in ten years time we see them making the step onto the keepmoat pitch ( or whatever it's called by then)

Rupee92

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 23, 2012, 08:20:40 pm by Rupee92 »
My nephew has been training once a week for west ham and once a week for Colchester he's seven and all both teams are interested in making sure they have fun

When they do play games against each other the result is the last thing of importance

I agree with you in the other write up winning every game by a huge score line is no good neither is losing a string of games 

Just hope in ten years time we see them making the step onto the keepmoat pitch ( or whatever it's called by then)

The Gavin Baldwin Arena.

johnmagson

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 23, 2012, 08:57:00 pm by johnmagson »
That's just it they do have fun but when I have posted goodwill scores people see past that and criticise the lads are you and will make mistakes but all we can do is encourage on there journey however long or short it can be please don't say parents are playing there lives through there kids or that they are too young all we need to do is encourage and congratulate obviously there having fun as they are doing and being what and where they want to be it may not be for long for whatever child so let us enjoy it go them

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 24, 2012, 12:47:09 pm by RobTheRover »
John

I didnt see anything negative in the last thread, just one person asking if kids football gets taken too seriously by some, and the answer to that is that it CAN be.  I'm not pointing the finger at anyone on here, and certainly not at the Rovers and their excellent youth development set up.

I'm a coach and I've seen it happen.  For some coaches the winning is everything and that is completely wrong at uncompetitive levels - all of the DDJSFL divisions are uncompetitive until u11s level.  Coaches are tasked with developing players, helping them love the game first and foremost, not be scared to lose.  My team won a really close match yesterday 2-1 and I heard one of the opposition side adults (not sure if it was a coach or a parent) single out one lad and say something along the lines of "play like that again and you will be sub all year".  Bang out of order in my book.  These are kids learning the game, but equally importantly learning to be members of a team, about giving and receiving respect, about discipline and challenges and testing themselves, even surprising themselves with what they can achieve.  The coach's role is to create the conditions and provide the guidance for that to happen.

The Rovers' youngsters get excellent coaching and learn all of the positive stuff I've listed above.  Its a great set up, and is producing some exceptional young talent.  Its the junior club coaches, often Dad's of players thrust forward to run a team with little understanding of what they are taking on or the responsibility it carries, I see (and they are truly the exception to the rule - most parents and coaches are fantastic).  Sometimes, I think the odd one or two just forget they are talking to and dealing with kids, to be honest.

johnmagson

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 24, 2012, 07:10:53 pm by johnmagson »
I agree with you totally as I also a level 1 coach but stepped down from rossington juniors as my duty now is to follow my son now but I do as much for my old team as I can even throw in the odd training session. I have seen some sights myself in last 2 seasons parents arguing and even 1 parent head butt the manager when kids present so from my last few posts in this and another topic there is a good majority of well wishers on the site so just going to ignore the nagatives

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 24, 2012, 07:17:13 pm by wilts rover »
John, thanks for your posts, its good to know that Rovers are doing what we have been asking them to do, which is go out and work with young kids in the community - and get them interested into being future stars for DRFC. From what I have seen of kids football its actually the parents who take it far more seriously than the kids!

It does seem that for quite a while now that some people have been posting negatively/creating arguments just for the sake of it, so dont take it personaly. Good luck to you and your lad.

johnmagson

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 24, 2012, 07:26:19 pm by johnmagson »
thanks wiltsrover DRFC is alot more relaxed atmosphere at games as no shouting from parents like normal sunday games as its not allowed. From the rotherham game we actually got talking to there parents and got on really well on sunday really enjoyed it we always make an effort to talk to oposing side which is a good thing.

hopefully we will see a youth and development section on here soon and those that are interested in the younger sides can always click on it and read and those who do not want to see it in normal vsc chat dont have to as i think soon the tomorrows rovers is well established there will be a few more members young and old :clapping:

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 24, 2012, 07:49:05 pm by southwestexile »
All the best to anyone involved in grass roots sports.

Rovers need to be doing this a lot.

For the bigger picture, having people playing sport and enjoying it usually means a lifetime of contact - and much healthier, community minded people.

Australia are the masters of getting young people involved and breeding winners as a result (if you can ignore the last Olympics and their recent cricket performances).

johnmagson

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 24, 2012, 08:59:01 pm by johnmagson »
 :lol: like the banter about australia southwestexile bring some humour to the topic instead of gloom like others.

i agree the younger the kids are the more community spirited people seem to become if they love DRFC.

Hopefully we are on the right track now and progress for TOMORROWS ROVERS!!.

would you like to see a section on this site dedicated to the younger sides?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012