Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:15:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Me and DRFC: an Update  (Read 3542 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Me and DRFC: an Update
« on September 29, 2012, 11:16:01 pm by belton rover »
I'm really trying (please, no jokes).

I am very impressed by our start, and surprised that DS seems to be creating a very sound foundation for the future.

But I can't seem to get excited.

For 30 odd years before this season I had been unable to control my emotions whenever we played; if I was at a game, listening to the radio or watching teletext. Only at the Rovers would I swear at people I don't know as my dad and my kids listened on.

I still feel differently this season.

My first game of the season was at Sheffield UTD last week. The kids were desperate to go but I could only see £50 out of the very tight Belton budget. We went, but I didn't enjoy it. Because of (I think) a combination of an almost unrecognisable team and a new away kit, it just didn't feel like I was watching my team. I just couldn't get excited - I felt like a neutral at a crap game. A great result, one that I would have been elated about once, but I came home wishing I hadn't spent £50.

Today, watching Jeff on the telly, when news came of Hulme's goal I raised my wrist and clenched my fist in a manner weaker than Tim Henman after he had just hung on for another game in a quarter final at Wimbledon. Then I fell asleep.

I don't feel bitter or angry or anything else. But that's the problem; I don't feel much at all.

Can anyone help?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Me and DRFC: an Update
« Reply #1 on September 29, 2012, 11:20:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are all coming to terms with now drinking a can of Special Brew instead of a silver goblet of fine Bordeaux, both in terms of the style and flair of our football and the quality of our opponents.

Make no mistake, the quality of football in this league is cack. However, I personally am heartened by actually seeing eleven lads putting a shift in, our team having backbone, guts and heart which I am afraid for last few seasons have been totally absent. Best of all is actually having players fit and not queuing up to see Dr Death.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 29, 2012, 11:22:59 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Blimey you're hard to please.

After watching us lose consistently for almost 18 months in the Championship, it's nice to be in a league where we are winning a bit more often.

I still don't like Saunders and don't want him as our manager but things aren't that bad.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 29, 2012, 11:26:55 pm by Viking Don »
If it's just about Rovers then no you're fine Belts, it's just a changing of the guard and will take a time for the old guards to get accustomed to the new order. Not often a whole side gets replaced so quickly while getting rid of so many first team players.

You'll be fine. Have you got exams coming up in October? I'm sick of Maths revision. Especially at my age.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 29, 2012, 11:30:52 pm by Barmby Rover »
In the same boat Belton. I have been to three matches, and been gutted to see nothing but lump it football not requiring any midfield skill at all. That's why so many of our friends on here are criticising Woods etc, there is no need for them to use their skill to play as instructed, so they look like mediocre players, just like the rest of the squad!
We are going to reach a crisis point soon, but the manager doesn't want to spend money on players to be bench warmers. The idea of having players who can come into the team and fill in for players injured or (much more likely with the way we are playing) suspended is obviously an alien idea to him. We will have to panic buy in loanees who have never even trained with the team to cover now. Mind you, do you have to train with us to work out the tactics? Maybe not.
We now have what some board members wanted, an average Lg.1 or Lg.2 team with no real threat of going up. That lack of ambition and drive is keeping the public away, and crowds will ineveitably go down.
Depressing for us all I know, and the usual suspects will be on here berating us as well, but the truth will not go away no matter how many times they play Manager on their play stations.   :(

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 29, 2012, 11:32:29 pm by belton rover »
If it's just about Rovers then no you're fine Belts, it's just a changing of the guard and will take a time for the old guards to get accustomed to the new order. Not often a whole side gets replaced so quickly while getting rid of so many first team players.

You'll be fine. Have you got exams coming up in October? I'm sick of Maths revision. Especially at my age.

I have got exams coming up in October and I am shitting myself because I need good results - otherwise my school might not want me to teach there anymore.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 29, 2012, 11:38:28 pm by silent majority »
Barmby,

Where do you get that the board want us to be an average Lg1 or Lg 2 team with no real threat of going up? If that's the case why do we have one of the top budgets in this lg for players? How come our board are filling the £2m gap this season? Interested to know where you get this information from.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 29, 2012, 11:40:50 pm by mushRTID »
Can't believe what I'm reading. 2 seasons of absolute misery, we now have a team who dig in, score goals and look like they can be bothered.

I'm loving it again. Keep it up lads.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 29, 2012, 11:46:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

It's mid-life crisis. You're clearly low on testosterone.

Do you still fancy the Rovers? Do you still get stiff at the thought of embracing them for the first time in a week? Or has familiarity, middle-age responsibility and low energy sapped your virility?

I suggest that you try playing away for a bit. Try watching Scunny for a couple of weeks. They look like a decent option for a bit on the side. Nice, pert, well-kept appearance. But sagging at the edges from the effort to keep hitting above their level. So, they'd be very honoured and grateful for a bit of attention from someone with a Transform'd trophy club at home. You'd get the full treatment cocker.

And then, after a couple of weeks, you'd realise just how beautiful your real love was. And you'd come back and give her a scuttling up the tunnel.

Just drop me a line so I don't go to that particular home game...

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 29, 2012, 11:48:00 pm by Viking Don »

I have got exams coming up in October and I am shitting myself because I need good results - otherwise my school might not want me to teach there anymore.

Haha plenty of other schools matey!

Just revise, I know it's bloody hard but it's easy really, just think of how many people you know who really shouldn't be in the position there are because they're too stupid. It's up to the really smart ones to change all that so just sit down and do a bit of work. I'm just talikng as much to myself as I've got the same in October, good luck mate and we'll just have to meet up sometime soon.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 30, 2012, 12:08:45 am by belton rover »
Belton.

It's mid-life crisis. You're clearly low on testosterone.

Do you still fancy the Rovers? Do you still get stiff at the thought of embracing them for the first time in a week? Or has familiarity, middle-age responsibility and low energy sapped your virility?

I suggest that you try playing away for a bit. Try watching Scunny for a couple of weeks. They look like a decent option for a bit on the side. Nice, pert, well-kept appearance. But sagging at the edges from the effort to keep hitting above their level. So, they'd be very honoured and grateful for a bit of attention from someone with a Transform'd trophy club at home. You'd get the full treatment cocker.

And then, after a couple of weeks, you'd realise just how beautiful your real love was. And you'd come back and give her a scuttling up the tunnel.

Just drop me a line so I don't go to that particular home game...

But what If I get caught?

Scunny is just too close to home, my boys would never forgive me. I might just watch the Football League Show when they are all in bed. They'll never know.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 30, 2012, 12:12:39 am by eastender »
Barmby,

Where do you get that the board want us to be an average Lg1 or Lg 2 team with no real threat of going up? If that's the case why do we have one of the top budgets in this lg for players? How come our board are filling the £2m gap this season? Interested to know where you get this information from.

Come on SM he's got what he's after .

Just ignore it.  :zzz:

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 30, 2012, 12:18:23 am by belton rover »

Just revise, I know it's bloody hard but it's easy really, just think of how many people you know who really shouldn't be in the position there are because they're too stupid. It's up to the really smart ones to change all that so just sit down and do a bit of work. I'm just talikng as much to myself as I've got the same in October, good luck mate and we'll just have to meet up sometime soon.

We will.

You are absolutely right, it's up to us.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 30, 2012, 01:36:34 am by nice one rovers »
To be fair Belton Rover, if the only game I'd seen yet was the Sheffield game, I'd be a bit depressed, it was rubbish. And for the first time ever I actually nodded off in the first half last Saturday after 25mins of hopelessly lumping it to the front. But having watched the game today , it's the best I've felt since West Ham away last season, proper uplifting stuff. You'll soon get that loving feeling back don't worry.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 30, 2012, 01:41:18 am by nice one rovers »

You were'nt at the game today were you by chance?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:11:03 am by nice one rovers »

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 30, 2012, 02:39:24 am by Mr1Croft »
I think sometimes we fall out of love with the game. In the first half of the 2010/11 season I felt similar, it was reaching a point where I found myself at games because I felt I had to go and not because I wanted and yet the season previous I attended every game but one (Newcastle away) and despite good days out at Portsmouth and Scunthorpe that season the games such as Reading and Leciester really put me on a downer. In fact I don't remember getting back into it until the Sheffield United game that started the misery.
I was quite exited for this season but I must admit that I am no longer as energetic although I am very much in love with the game. I think that in a few months time if results continue to be delivered then that enthusiasm will return.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 30, 2012, 06:35:35 am by Wellred »
In the same boat Belton. I have been to three matches, and been gutted to see nothing but lump it football not requiring any midfield skill at all. That's why so many of our friends on here are criticising Woods etc, there is no need for them to use their skill to play as instructed, so they look like mediocre players, just like the rest of the squad!
We are going to reach a crisis point soon, but the manager doesn't want to spend money on players to be bench warmers. The idea of having players who can come into the team and fill in for players injured or (much more likely with the way we are playing) suspended is obviously an alien idea to him. We will have to panic buy in loanees who have never even trained with the team to cover now. Mind you, do you have to train with us to work out the tactics? Maybe not.
We now have what some board members wanted, an average Lg.1 or Lg.2 team with no real threat of going up. That lack of ambition and drive is keeping the public away, and crowds will ineveitably go down.
Depressing for us all I know, and the usual suspects will be on here berating us as well, but the truth will not go away no matter how many times they play Manager on their play stations.   :(

You really have surpassed yourself with that load of drivel.
Have you looked at the league table?
If we win our game in hand we will be in 3rd position!

Oh but then I forgot you want things to go back to how they used to be don't you.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 30, 2012, 06:39:14 am by 1879Rovers »
According to the football league show last night, it is our best start to a season since our return to the league. We just need to win our game in hand and the league table will look much better.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 30, 2012, 07:42:18 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Well I've enjoyed it more than any of the last few seasons. A team that fights and plays to win is more my style than trying to be pretty. There's glimpses we'll play good stuff at times and that will come soon I think.

Away we're great we now need to win a few at home. Anyone who thinks we can't play decent stuff, what about our first yesterday?

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 30, 2012, 12:02:58 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Well, you all know that I do the match blog.  When I compare this season with last, at the start of last season, I was up for doing it after a long and boring closed season.  This season it was a chore. 

As the season goes on, it's becoming less of a chore.  The worst bits are my attempts at opposition research because the highlights I study are so crap.  On the plus point, the tactics are so unsubtle that it's easier to see what teams are going to do but it's far less enjoyable to do than it was in the championship.

Although its nice to believe that we have a chance of winning every game, it's not exactly been riveting. If you're going to ask me, what do I want, good football or winning, I'll say both, just like 2007-2011.

So I'm on an upward curve on the motivation thing, but there's work to do.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #20 on September 30, 2012, 12:13:44 pm by Rovin Reporter »
I'm really trying (please, no jokes).

I am very impressed by our start, and surprised that DS seems to be creating a very sound foundation for the future.

But I can't seem to get excited.

For 30 odd years before this season I had been unable to control my emotions whenever we played; if I was at a game, listening to the radio or watching teletext. Only at the Rovers would I swear at people I don't know as my dad and my kids listened on.

I still feel differently this season.

My first game of the season was at Sheffield UTD last week. The kids were desperate to go but I could only see £50 out of the very tight Belton budget. We went, but I didn't enjoy it. Because of (I think) a combination of an almost unrecognisable team and a new away kit, it just didn't feel like I was watching my team. I just couldn't get excited - I felt like a neutral at a crap game. A great result, one that I would have been elated about once, but I came home wishing I hadn't spent £50.

Today, watching Jeff on the telly, when news came of Hulme's goal I raised my wrist and clenched my fist in a manner weaker than Tim Henman after he had just hung on for another game in a quarter final at Wimbledon. Then I fell asleep.

I don't feel bitter or angry or anything else. But that's the problem; I don't feel much at all.

Can anyone help?
You seem to be still in that place where it doesn't have way out ! I blame those in charge for not just  bursting our balloon but destroying our image and not saying sorry for the hurt . Keep the faith I fore see better times to come . Go electric it may help!!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 30, 2012, 12:24:27 pm by idler »
I feel similar as well.
I've been watching 50 odd years and think that I'm starting to fall out of love with the professional game. I think that this will be my last as a season ticket holder. I've been travelling across for matches now for 30 odd years and even when we win I don't get the same buzz. I think it will be most Saturday games only next year.
I went to watch Thackley beat Pickering yesterday. Paid £5 to get in though I qualify for £2.50 as an over 60.
Left home at 2.35, pint at half time, £2.45 great home made food if required. Watched second half then another pint watching the results come in. I was home 30 minutes earlier than if I had been to a Rovers home game.
I'll still be at the Preston game but it gets harder to be as enthusiastic as I used to be irrespective of results. Maybe it might come back.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 30, 2012, 12:31:45 pm by Rios »

Would appear that our opponents think we're somewhat "industrial" too... quite funny though.

http://leyton-orient-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/leyton-orient-0-doncaster-rovers-2-29912.html

For me, I hated last season and missed a number of games and went to Stalybridge instead.  I really considered not renewing my season ticket this season.  But I did and whilst some of the games have been poor and certainly not what we've been used too (even when getting tonked every week!) I no longer dread going.  That's progress as far as I'm concerned and am happy with that.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 30, 2012, 12:54:14 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Can see that point of view too.   Especially on the Image point.  Idiotic decisions

But I'm prepared to say "needs must when the devil vomits in your kettle" for now.  I like that Deano has made us solid at the back.  They say that is the start and you build on that.  Hopefully we will, and it will get better to watch.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 30, 2012, 02:57:13 pm by Chris Black come back »

Would appear that our opponents think we're somewhat "industrial" too... quite funny though.

http://leyton-orient-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/leyton-orient-0-doncaster-rovers-2-29912.html

For me, I hated last season and missed a number of games and went to Stalybridge instead.  I really considered not renewing my season ticket this season.  But I did and whilst some of the games have been poor and certainly not what we've been used too (even when getting tonked every week!) I no longer dread going.  That's progress as far as I'm concerned and am happy with that.

That Orient blog is quite funny because that sounds so familiar these past few seasons. They are not pretty and probably will get done over a few times by more talented strikers, but thank fook for finally having two proper centre backs. Finally. A defence. Unbelievable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012