Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:37:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Martin Woods  (Read 4287 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Martin Woods
« on October 02, 2012, 10:07:03 pm by RoversAlias »
Can somebody please tell me what this man brings to the team? Not that anybody had a particularly good game tonight, but for me Woods was at his most inept throughout. He doesn't do anything helpful, and I am sick of seeing him trot about the midfield not contributing. He should surely be the man getting on the ball in the middle of the park and dictating the attacks we produce. Where is the man who grew into a superb central midfield player in our 2008/09 season? It seems he has left the building never to be seen again.

He compounded it all at one stage in the second half, when the ball went over him so he bent forward and flicked his back heel up in the air with the ball a good 8 feet behind him. It was without a doubt the worst attempt at anything I have ever seen one of our players do.

I know we're gonna have days/nights like this when we don't play well and we get beaten. I'm under no illusions. But some things I just cannot let slide.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Martin Woods
« Reply #1 on October 02, 2012, 10:13:16 pm by Filo »
Can we fine him for trying to impersonate a footballer? His performance was n`t fit to grace the bottom division of the Sunday league!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 02, 2012, 10:14:59 pm by mushRTID »
That back heel attempt is something I expect to see when I play 5 a side on a Wednesday night.

He was absolutely shite tonight. Feel sorry for Syers having to do 2 jobs in there.

Waste of space.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 02, 2012, 10:16:14 pm by MrFrost »
Saunders must have thought he was playing well. He didn't take him off.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 02, 2012, 10:18:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
He was chosen to play by the manager, maybe because Harper appears to be injured. We need not want another central midfield player. Over to the board and manager.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 02, 2012, 10:20:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Awful simple as that.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 02, 2012, 10:21:33 pm by Alan_Rovers »
He should offer to donate his wages to charity for that performance. It was dire. Bennett was not much better either!

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 02, 2012, 10:23:36 pm by phil o sophical »
Not quite the worst on the pitch tonight, the prat with the whistle gets my vote for that. Close tho !

DonnyMark

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 02, 2012, 10:25:13 pm by DonnyMark »
Woods and Bennett were by far the worst two players on the pitch, how they both stayed on for 90 minutes is beyond me. Please please don't let these two start on Saturday.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 02, 2012, 10:32:06 pm by MachoMadness »
He was dreadful tonight. Harper must start Saturday, he organises us and we look a different team with him pulling the strings in there. Woods does absolutely nothing.

donnygeoff

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 02, 2012, 10:33:46 pm by donnygeoff »
Would not pay Bennett or Martin woods in peanuts. Only brown, painter and cotterill worthy of the shirt tonight

Atrocious

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 02, 2012, 10:36:36 pm by mushRTID »
Frustrated me too how often he would be going in one direction then do a reverse turn, completely slowing everything down.

His 'pass' out to cotterill in the last minute was the icing on Martins cake tonight. To think he was talking about playing at a higher level recently...the cheek.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 02, 2012, 10:38:32 pm by MachoMadness »
Hopefully, if this continues, we can have Copps back in January and Martin can bugger off to Barnsley. Haven't seen him contribute anything all season. At least when Copps plays badly he still looks committed.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 02, 2012, 10:39:59 pm by Filo »
He`s probably our highest paid player, please some one come and take him on loan and lets get Copps back!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 02, 2012, 10:44:11 pm by Lesonthewest »
I know one thing, if we were to be offered ANY kind of transfer fee for either Woods or Bennett we should take the money & run.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 02, 2012, 10:46:03 pm by Alan_Rovers »
When is his contract up?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 02, 2012, 10:48:51 pm by MachoMadness »
The thing is with Bennett, it's so frustrating because he IS good enough to destroy this league, and is still young, but for some reason his head isn't right at all and he's going to end up pissing it away and playing in the conference if he carries on.

As for Woods, I just think he's feeling a bit untouchable, as one of the survivors from last season, and he seems to think he's better than he is. Both of them need benching immediately.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 02, 2012, 10:51:16 pm by StocksArmy »
Bennett and Woods are 2 players that clearly do not want to be here and quite clearly replaceable so I would say get rid!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 02, 2012, 11:21:31 pm by Mr1Croft »
He doesn't ever attempt to win the ball back. After bury I said that unless he has the space with a 10 yard radius he does nothing and I stand by that. I don't like to be very critical of our players but I think Id be justified in saying Woods was poor and allowed Preston to dictate the midfield. I don't know about anyone else but our central midfield has suffered since Wilson left and it is something Saunders has not improved on, albeit not the most technically gifted but Wilson was good at being at the centre of a gritty midfield battle which is what we face for most of the games in this league. I know Wilson was a scapegoat for many on here and has been called worse than Woods tonight but I don't recall a performance like that from him.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 02, 2012, 11:23:47 pm by dickos1 »
Bennett is the new andy Watson

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 02, 2012, 11:28:35 pm by Viking Don »
Woods is the best footballer we have left. Just my opinion of course, but I must be wrong because most people think he's shit. Hahahaha

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 02, 2012, 11:32:55 pm by hoolahoop »
He should offer to donate his wages to charity for that performance. It was dire. Bennett was not much better either!

I thought Bennett was worse closely followed by the ref and Woods..............all had a nightmare of a game.
Kyle simply cannot squander the opportunities that both he and others create for him. Wayward passes, dire crosses. Just why is this lad seemingly throwing away his chance to develop as a decent player.............have we all over-rated the lad do you think ?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 02, 2012, 11:34:29 pm by MachoMadness »

This about sums it up for me. That's where he's headed if he carries on like this. Bennett could be worth millions but the rate he's going he'll be happy playing in the conference if it means he gets to be the big time charlie of the team.

Woods is the best footballer we have left. Just my opinion of course, but I must be wrong because most people think he's shit. Hahahaha

It's not that people think he doesn't have ability, we know he does. But Saunders said himself, in a working class town like Doncaster, while people will forgive a lack of ability if it's made up for with effort, they won't forgive just turning up and and phoning it in to pick up a wage, particularly not a footballers' wage.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 02, 2012, 11:36:15 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't know about anyone else but our central midfield has suffered since Wilson left and it is something Saunders has not improved on, albeit not the most technically gifted but Wilson was good at being at the centre of a gritty midfield battle which is what we face for most of the games in this league. I know Wilson was a scapegoat for many on here and has been called worse than Woods tonight but I don't recall a performance like that from him.

Agreed completely. I hated the abuse that Wilson got because he was in the team to do a job and he did that job very well. Our midfield was always so much more assured when he was in it.

A couple of years ago perhaps, but genuinely what has he shown you that tells you he is the best footballer at the club? The last time I checked good footballers had the ability to pass accurately, tackle, head a ball and be positionally sound. Woods has shown none of these qualities all season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 02, 2012, 11:44:08 pm by dickos1 »
Wilson hardly got a game, he was here as a stand by so not sure how we've missed him.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 02, 2012, 11:49:11 pm by Donnywolf »

I hate to criticise our own players EVER but there is no hiding plave for Woods now. He was poor and if they had a Non Man of the Match he would have walked it

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 02, 2012, 11:54:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Andy Watson had an end product.

M Woods cannot be a central midfielder long term as he only has one foot. Clearly being played out of position as an emergency and, I bet he's enjoying it as much as we are. Harper is the only capable central midfielder we have as Keegan is not up to it either. Syers is a loose type of player who needs a controlling midfielder behind him.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 03, 2012, 12:09:59 am by eastender »
Woods and Bennett were by far the worst two players on the pitch, how they both stayed on for 90 minutes is beyond me. Please please don't let these two start on Saturday.

In the minute leading up to the PNE corner, from which they scored their 2nd goal, both Woods and then Bennett needlessly gave the ball away when it was far easier to find a Rovers player.

Feking useless the pair of them. get some B@ll@cks in the team , Keegan , Harper and Husband it's worked before so why stick with the same old crap.  :(

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 03, 2012, 12:22:30 am by Viking Don »
What a stpid thread. It's very boring. Can you lock it? It doesn't contribute anything to my my my my world.

pubteam

« Reply #29 on October 03, 2012, 12:57:15 am by pubteam »
Can somebody please tell me what this man brings to the team? Not that anybody had a particularly good game tonight, but for me Woods was at his most inept throughout. He doesn't do anything helpful, and I am sick of seeing him trot about the midfield not contributing. He should surely be the man getting on the ball in the middle of the park and dictating the attacks we produce. Where is the man who grew into a superb central midfield player in our 2008/09 season? It seems he has left the building never to be seen again.

He compounded it all at one stage in the second half, when the ball went over him so he bent forward and flicked his back heel up in the air with the ball a good 8 feet behind him. It was without a doubt the worst attempt at anything I have ever seen one of our players do.

I know we're gonna have days/nights like this when we don't play well and we get beaten. I'm under no illusions. But some things I just cannot let slide.

Couldn't agree more with that bit. It was a complete piss take. I felt like getting up and walking out of the ground. I'm glad it wasn't just me who was infuriated by that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012