Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:52:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: a neutral fans view  (Read 1820 times)

colin cramb

• Forum Member
a neutral fans view
« on October 03, 2012, 04:53:40 pm by colin cramb »
i took my manchester united supporting mate last night, and he observed the following...

. Gary Woods is a terrible goalkeeper
. Couldnt understand why our 2 tallest, and probably best headers of a ball dont mark anyone on corners just mark space
. Martin Woods is the worst footballer he's seen
. He noted that with a decent GK a centre mid and another striker we'd be up the top end of the division.

Despite the poor showing he enjoyed himself, and with united playing on sunday he's coming again on saturday!! Lets hope for a better performance and a win  :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
Re: a neutral fans view
« Reply #1 on October 03, 2012, 05:08:54 pm by The L J Monk »
1. Martin Woods is the worst footballer he's seen
2. He noted that with a decent GK a centre mid and another striker we'd be up the top end of the division.

1. Damning indeed from a United fan who must have seen Djemba Djemba.

2. Harper is the centre mid. Hume is the striker. Just need that keeper then...

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 03, 2012, 05:16:46 pm by dickos1 »
Their goalie last night looked a lot worse than woods, the defence I presume do zonal marking, which most sides do now, not a good tactic in my opinion.
Woods is currently the worst footballer I've ever seen too,
With Hume I think we have that other striker, if we sign a wellens I think we will be strong

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 03, 2012, 05:22:20 pm by MachoMadness »
Wouldn't disagree with any that, apart from the point about the defence. They've looked good all season, so I'm willing to put last night down as a blip. No way your mate could've known that though.

On G Woods, I'm not sure why "he hasn't done anything catastrophically wrong for a couple of games" is deemed good enough to be a first-team keeper at any club, especially not one that expects to be competing at the top end of this league. I still say he'll cost us more points than he'll save us this year.

Great that he's attending Saturday though, here's hoping a win can entice him back for a couple more games in future, we need all the help we can get!

Florida Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 03, 2012, 05:26:13 pm by Florida Rover »
Gary Woods got his original training at Manchester Utd did he not? Maybe thats the answer.

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 03, 2012, 05:26:26 pm by colin cramb »
He should be coming for any ball in his 6 yard box, he gives off negative vibes to his defence imo, and i agree a decent ball playing midfielder and with hume playing we wont be far away, this division is not that difficult, just a couple more additions and we'll be top 6  :rtid:

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 03, 2012, 05:40:34 pm by newyankee »
    In my opinion, for what it is worth, I suggest the problem is not all with Woods, the goalkeeper Coach Lee Butler has to take a lot of the responsibility.  Rather than throwing out Woods too quickly, maybe we need to look at the keeper coaching position a little more closely.

Saunders did this with the fitness and physio teams, to bring in people who know what they are doing, why he has not changed the keeping coach is beyond me.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 03, 2012, 06:12:59 pm by Red wizard »
    In my opinion, for what it is worth, I suggest the problem is not all with Woods, the goalkeeper Coach Lee Butler has to take a lot of the responsibility.  Rather than throwing out Woods too quickly, maybe we need to look at the keeper coaching position a little more closely.

Saunders did this with the fitness and physio teams, to bring in people who know what they are doing, why he has not changed the keeping coach is beyond me.
Maybe because he thinks Butler is a good GK coach?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 03, 2012, 06:28:50 pm by newyankee »
The point is that for the past few years we have not had a good goalkeeper and have had to go and get someone on loan, we all know Sullivan's failings and added age, the only good keepers we have had have come from Wolves and Tottenham where presumably they were coached better.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 03, 2012, 06:44:34 pm by dickos1 »
Can't see that logic to be honest. They're better goalies cause they're better players and earn more money.
We've not spent decent money on a goalie for as long as I can remember,

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 03, 2012, 06:57:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Gary Woods has improved but he's still two gloves short of a keeper.

We all know it, Saunders knows it. He will need replacing sooner rather than later.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 03, 2012, 07:57:36 pm by newyankee »
The point is, no matter who we get as a keeper, it will be a young kid like Woods or an old man like Sullivan. Any youngster who does join us, isn't going to get the coaching needed to turn him into the England keeper, Butler is not that good. We not only need a new keeper ( theat I cannot argue), but we do n0ot have the right man as coach.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012