Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:01:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dear Sheffield Wednesday......  (Read 5091 times)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Dear Sheffield Wednesday......
« on October 24, 2012, 04:47:26 pm by andyst79 »
Have you got any more defenders you don't want?  because all the ones we get off you are bloody brilliant. Jones, Tommy & big bad Graham Lee springs to mind? Can any1 remember further back than me if we've had any more good or bad?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Dear Sheffield Wednesday......
« Reply #1 on October 24, 2012, 04:51:21 pm by The Red Baron »
Steve Nicol was with them before he joined us- he wasn't bad either!

And don't forget they let Paul Green go- although he isn't a defender.

SingingPostman

« Reply #2 on October 24, 2012, 04:52:56 pm by SingingPostman »
Hugh Dowd. Much criticised for his use of the ball but he did the job in the air 80/81 when were were promoted and Bremner thought the world of him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 24, 2012, 04:54:37 pm by MachoMadness »
What a signing Graeme Lee was. Quintessential Penney player, was immense for us and got his place in history for winning us the JPT as well. Him and Steve Roberts were awesome.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 24, 2012, 04:55:43 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Ian Branfoot

Harold Wilcockson - although we had him first - sold him to Wendies before getting him back

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 24, 2012, 04:58:23 pm by The Red Baron »
Ian Branfoot

Harold Wilcockson - although we had him first - sold him to Wendies before getting him back

Didn't we get Branfoot and Archie Irvine as part of the deal that saw Wilcockson go to the Wendies? We did well out of that one.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 24, 2012, 05:11:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I think that's right TRB

We seemed to do well in several player exchange deals around that time

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 24, 2012, 05:24:09 pm by DaveDRFC »
We had a half decent left back off them on loan for a bit as well a few years back...Peter Gilbert was it?

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 24, 2012, 05:27:10 pm by andyst79 »
Steve Nicol what a class act he was

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 24, 2012, 05:56:33 pm by graingrover »
I think Wilcockson came from Rotherham, then managed by Tommy Docherty ; accompanied by Colin Clish and Chris Rabjohn in a swap deal for our Graham Watson and ?? Robert Leigh.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 24, 2012, 06:13:36 pm by newyankee »
It must be my age but does no one remeber player manager Norman Curtis, one of the best right backs we ever had ? Ex Wednesday.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 24, 2012, 06:13:53 pm by The Red Baron »
I think Wilcockson came from Rotherham, then managed by Tommy Docherty ; accompanied by Colin Clish and Chris Rabjohn in a swap deal for our Graham Watson and ?? Robert Leigh.

That's correct. The deal was done in Febriary 1968 and those three were key members of the 1968-9 Division 4 Championship side. On the other hand Graham "Willie" Watson made only 13 appearances for Rotherham (who were relegated from Division 2 in 1967-8) and returned to Rovers about a year later.

Dennis Leigh, who was the other player involved, had a rather more productive career at Rotherham and stayed there until 1972 before moving on to Lincoln City, for whom he played over 200 games.

Rovers certainly got the best of that deal.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 24, 2012, 06:14:42 pm by The Red Baron »
It must be my age but does no one remeber player manager Norman Curtis, one of the best right backs we ever had ? Ex Wednesday.

He was only with us for one season (1960-1) and he was our player-manager.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 24, 2012, 06:24:08 pm by IDM »
Hugh Dowd. Much criticised for his use of the ball but he did the job in the air 80/81 when were were promoted and Bremner thought the world of him.

My biggest memory of Hugh Dowd was when he scored with a bullet header from outside the penalty area.  I think it was a Friday night game vs Exeter, on Leger weekend...

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 24, 2012, 06:32:34 pm by newyankee »
Norman was agreat full back, I didn't say anything about his Manageraial shills.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 24, 2012, 07:02:01 pm by Donnywolf »

That's correct. The deal was done in Febriary 1968 and those three were key members of the 1968-9 Division 4 Championship side. On the other hand Graham "Willie" Watson made only 13 appearances for Rotherham (who were relegated from Division 2 in 1967-8) and returned to Rovers about a year later.

Dennis Leigh, who was the other player involved, had a rather more productive career at Rotherham and stayed there until 1972 before moving on to Lincoln City, for whom he played over 200 games.

For me still the best deal we have ever done
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:04:06 pm by DONNYWOLF »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 24, 2012, 07:46:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Alan Warboys.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 24, 2012, 07:55:44 pm by Dutch Uncle »

For me still the best deal we have ever done

100% agreed

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 25, 2012, 12:02:00 am by BobG »
It may only be misty memories, but Harold Wilcockson stands out as about the best full back we've had in the 50 years I've been watching. 

I liked Hugh Dowd too. Lol.  Looked quite military didn't he? Didn't he end up coaching somewhere quite good?

BobG

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 25, 2012, 01:51:36 am by newyankee »
A couple of points if I may. It maybe down to age but no one a seems to have mentioned Jack Hodgson and Lennie Graham as left backs and Brian Makepeace from Rosso at right back. By the way, I always understood Hughie Dowd to be a half back not a full back. I have just googled and Hugh was born in Lurgan N Ireland and played for Wednesday before joining Rovers. He played for us for almost 5 years before retiring due to a knee injury.  He was a centre half all his career.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 25, 2012, 02:06:28 am by newyankee »

Jack Hodgson, 215 games for Grimsby and 95 for Rovers from 1947 t0 51 and then joint manager with Sid Bycroft in 1958.

Len Graham 303 League games for Rovers from 1950 to 61.

Brian Makepeace  353 League games for Rovers from 1950 to 61.

Brian and Len were virtual everpresents at full back for all those years and remember they played 90 mins every game, no subs then .

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 25, 2012, 02:46:08 am by newyankee »
I've had nothing to do tonight so I have gone through a list of players I CAN remember watching  playing for Rovers. Some others I am able to remember by being told about them, although I was at games but very young.

Keepers, Ken Hardwick and Harry Gregg

Full Backs  Makepeace, Graham, Paddy Gavin

Half backs   Jackie Teasedale, Kit Lawlor, Bobby Herbert

Centre Halves  Bill Patterson, Charlie Williams, Dave Miller

Forwards  Johnny Mooney, Alick Jeffrey, Eddie McMorran, Bert   

Tindall, Ron Walker, Ray Harrison and of course Peter Doherty

All these players were with the Rovers for at least four seasons and in many cases much longer, the only exception being Alick whose initial career was so savagely cut short against France U 21's at Bristol.

Please excuse my moment of nostalgia, but as they say " Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end". 
 Apologies to Mary Hopkin.

:rtid:

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 25, 2012, 08:33:18 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
He didn't come from Wendies, but he scored one of the best ever Rovers goals I have seen, at Hillsborough. Elliot Ward.

:ermm: :scarf:

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #23 on October 25, 2012, 10:26:12 am by NorthNorfolkRover »
Perhaps its a mental thing big club releases player to local smaller club then goes on to prove thedecision wrong as they are still in the  window with the local media and fans they meet round town etc. Every pro sports man I ever met had an unshakable belief in their own ability.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012