Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:55:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: greatest ever  (Read 7852 times)

Shornton

• Forum Member
Re: greatest ever
« Reply #30 on December 04, 2012, 06:47:00 pm by Shornton »
Tristam Whitman home against Chester city, never screamed so much

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 04, 2012, 06:47:16 pm by andyst79 »
Woods at the city ground when we thumped them the other season it was total football with a sublime finish to boot

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 04, 2012, 07:07:23 pm by turnbull for england »
 tristams life changer apart ( we would have neverdone them at theirs without that)- both og's for me  Rufus Brevitt at Gillingham I think won their goal of the season, and cambridge utd's  day at home , Liam Daish i think sure he chipped keeper from half way line.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:12:25 pm by turnbull for england »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 04, 2012, 07:11:11 pm by RoversAlias »
One winner for me.

Theo Streete. A goal of destiny.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 04, 2012, 07:17:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye. From a player of density.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 04, 2012, 07:20:18 pm by MachoMadness »
One winner for me.

I once met an old bloke who said that goal was scored by Alick Jeffrey. He said Jeffrey's ghost rose and flicked it past their keeper, which is why he fumbled it. If you can find a replay, you can see it definitely takes a swerve just as it reaches the keeper. I'm always reminded of that funny old bloke whenever I think of that goal. It's much more interesting than just saying Theo bloody Streete scored it anyway!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 04, 2012, 07:21:41 pm by RedJ »
One winner for me.

I once met an old bloke who said that goal was scored by Alick Jeffrey. He said Jeffrey's ghost rose and flicked it past their keeper, which is why he fumbled it. If you can find a replay, you can see it definitely takes a swerve just as it reaches the keeper. I'm always reminded of that funny old bloke whenever I think of that goal. It's much more interesting than just saying Theo bloody Streete scored it anyway!
From what I remember of good old Theo, more credible too.

sirfoxinthebox

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 04, 2012, 07:22:06 pm by sirfoxinthebox »
jordan mutch scored a corker and quintin fortune so many to choose

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 04, 2012, 07:48:07 pm by vietaff »
Mully scored 2 cracking free kicks vs Boston in the FA Cup, McCormack scored a screamer vs Hartlepool away aswell.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 04, 2012, 07:58:17 pm by i_ateallthepies »
James Hayter 18 yard header at Watford a couple of seasons back.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 04, 2012, 07:58:52 pm by redandwhitearmy »
James Hayter 18 yard header at Watford a couple of seasons back.

I remember that,incredible header.  :clapping:

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 04, 2012, 09:47:34 pm by glosterred »
Adriano Rigoglioso goal away at Hereford in now what is Jpt trophy,think it was from a corner sum one picked him out stood just outside the D and he volleyed it in the top corner stanction and ball just lodged in it
Was an awesome goal, McIndoe took the corner and Rigo smashed it home. Wasn't caught on camera either, which is such a shame as it is probably the best I have ever seen live.

Pity the rest of the game, if I remember rightly, was dire - a poor performance and a long drive home!

COYR

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 04, 2012, 09:57:41 pm by hoolahoop »
Any one of Copps hat trick v southend.... His free kick especially was sublime and he was unplayable that night

I would have to go with that too, each was superb in it's own way.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 04, 2012, 10:51:27 pm by BobG »
Some real belters on here. Thanks all.

I bet absolutely no one on this site apart from me saw my  personal favourite though. Away at Newport County on a cold Friday night in in either 75 or 76. We won 3-0. Peter Kitchen scored the best dribbling goal I will ever see. It was way, way better than that famous one that Tony Currie got for the Blades that featured on the ITV Big Match credits for ages and ages. It was just perfect control, perfect balance, perfect ability. It was the best goal I have ever seen. Anywhere. Ever.

Brendan got a towering header that night too. It was a good night - though we slacked off after going 3-0 up after half an hour!

Cheers

BobG

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 04, 2012, 11:30:46 pm by RoversAlias »
One winner for me.

You know what, I absolutely love that! I'm not into all that paranormal business but it's nice to think that could be the case. Very cool.

Either way, I will never say a bad word against Theo Streete as long as I'm alive because I don't care how good he was or wasn't as a player, he wrote his name in our history books that day and that goal will live on forever. Super stuff.

pubteam

« Reply #45 on December 05, 2012, 12:35:57 am by pubteam »
Theo Streete played for Alfreton vs Leyton Orient on telly on Sunday afternoon. In central midfield may I add.  :silly:

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 05, 2012, 07:31:07 am by 1879Rovers »
David Harle v QPR

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 06, 2012, 11:26:18 am by bradford exile »
Theo streets .....last game at Belle Vue

Mark Mcammons..first game at keepmoat

Because they were scored by Rovers players..would have hated it if some other team had scored either

Regards

Ray

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 06, 2012, 12:21:57 pm by Alonzo Drake »
This is so much tied in with one's age.

1. King Alick's overhead volley in a 5-2 win v Bradford City at BV  in a League Cup Replay in 1965.
2. Tommy Gaynor's dribbling goal v Rotherham at BV on New Year's Day, 1987. Oh so sweet, considering the opposition!
3. Kitch's dribbling goal in the 4-1 thrashing of Huddersfield at BV in November, 1985 -- he beat at least for defenders in the penalty box.
4. Jack Lewis' 25 yard screamer at Grimsby in a 4-3 win on the last day of the 78/79 season at a packed Blundell Park.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on December 06, 2012, 04:23:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I clean forgot Jon Forte's goal against Swindon back in 05 or 06 at OBV.

That lad had everything in his locker but heart. That goal would have had the pundits creaming their pants if Rooney had scored it. Took down a long ball clearance on the half way line facing our goal with a hairy arsed defender up his rear. Turned the defender in the process of controlling the ball, which he did consumately, allowing the pace of the ball to wrong-foot the defender. Raced to the edge of the box with two defenders trying to catch him, then sledgehammered the ball left-footed into the top corner from 20 yards.

I was convinced I'd seen a future England star that night.

I think the reward for the most crap goals must go to Paul Heffernan. Never known a player scuff so many from 15 yards into the back of the net.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 06, 2012, 04:28:37 pm by Filo »
David Harle v QPR

Remember it like it was Yesterday, 3rd Round FA cup shock of the day, from about 18 yards at the Town end, the pop side was buzzing that day in the big old stand

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 06, 2012, 07:27:45 pm by JonWallsend »

1. King Alick's overhead volley in a 5-2 win v Bradford City at BV  in a League Cup Replay in 1965.
2. Tommy Gaynor's dribbling goal v Rotherham at BV on New Year's Day, 1987. Oh so sweet, considering the opposition!
3. Kitch's dribbling goal in the 4-1 thrashing of Huddersfield at BV in November, 1985 -- he beat at least for defenders in the penalty box.
4. Jack Lewis' 25 yard screamer at Grimsby in a 4-3 win on the last day of the 78/79 season at a packed Blundell Park.

It is as you say very much linked to age and circumstance.

Tommy Gaynor's goal one of the best I've seen and the best I've felt.  On a similar theme, considering the opposition, Ray Deans 20 yard rocket to give us a 3-2 win in the mud at Millmoor, in 1985, took some beating for me, as a then 15 year old Rotherham schoolboy.

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 06, 2012, 10:10:36 pm by niteowler »
Enjoyed this read no end . Sorry to go back so far but i remember a certain Albert Broadbent who had a fearsome left foot and scored some cracking stand out goals. I can remember him taking a penalty at the town end and uprooting the goal net stancheon. True legend, rumor has it that he signed for rovers on the river bank doing a spot of fishing!

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 06, 2012, 11:02:28 pm by walter the red »
What about Hayter's goal at Wembley against Leeds to clinch the last promotion place -it may not have been the greatest ,but to all of us who were there it was simply the best ! :scarf:

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 06, 2012, 11:31:30 pm by Barmby Rover »
Elliot Ward scoring with a bicycle kick after Billy had given the run around to three Wednesday defenders. A great goal.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 06, 2012, 11:36:54 pm by donnievic »

It is as you say very much linked to age and circumstance.

Tommy Gaynor's goal one of the best I've seen and the best I've felt.  On a similar theme, considering the opposition, Ray Deans 20 yard rocket to give us a 3-2 win in the mud at Millmoor, in 1985, took some beating for me, as a then 15 year old Rotherham schoolboy.

I too remember that right in the top corner at our end of the ground aswell,think with about 12 mins left,we always got beat there.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on December 07, 2012, 10:04:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Nah, it was the other end if the ground. Unless you were in the Tivoli! Same end that Duggy scored the original Duggy Bullet Header.

Best moment of the game dead when Kevin Kilmore raced onto a through ball and lobbed our keeper (Dennis? Willie?). Ball looped over him - certain goal. Then in plopped into the mud-bath goalmouth and stuck, allowing someone to clear it.

Great days.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 07, 2012, 05:30:14 pm by benaldo »
Goal from the left scored by Andy Watson v (no Idea, can't remember, but they'd have been crap). He beat about 5 players then put it in the top corner. What a wasted talent that boy was.

Paul Greens diving header at belle vue - scoring at the Rosso end on a sunny afternoon v no idea whom.

Any and every Paul "Where's the burger van?" "Leaping like a salmon" "puff out those cheeks" Barnes goal.

I used to have full function of my memory at one point.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 07, 2012, 07:06:17 pm by JonWallsend »
Nah, it was the other end if the ground. Unless you were in the Tivoli! Same end that Duggy scored the original Duggy Bullet Header.

Best moment of the game dead when Kevin Kilmore raced onto a through ball and lobbed our keeper (Dennis? Willie?). Ball looped over him - certain goal. Then in plopped into the mud-bath goalmouth and stuck, allowing someone to clear it.

Great days.

Great days indeed. I'm with Donnievic:  it was definitely at our end of the ground,( We scored two in the first half up at their end) unless you were in the Tivoli, Billy? I'm going for Dennis in net but I stand to be corrected.  I do recall Dave Travis in midfield had an absolute blinder that day.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 07, 2012, 07:15:40 pm by The Red Baron »
Goal from the left scored by Andy Watson v (no Idea, can't remember, but they'd have been crap). He beat about 5 players then put it in the top corner. What a wasted talent that boy was.

Paul Greens diving header at belle vue - scoring at the Rosso end on a sunny afternoon v no idea whom.

Any and every Paul "Where's the burger van?" "Leaping like a salmon" "puff out those cheeks" Barnes goal.

I used to have full function of my memory at one point.

The Paul Green one is here- at about 5.40.

Rovers v Cambridge Easter Monday 2004- the day we clinched promotion from D3.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGU-XsrkFdI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGU-XsrkFdI</a>

TinyPortal © 2005-2012