Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:29:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Belle Vue  (Read 8321 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Belle Vue
« on December 07, 2012, 08:43:35 am by roverstillidie91 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Belle Vue
« Reply #1 on December 07, 2012, 09:17:02 am by The Red Baron »
I'm glad something is being done with the site at last. It is sad to see it in such a state.

If, as it seems, the site is going to be used for housing, can we hope that any names for access roads etc will reflect Belle Vue's heritage? Maybe someone could raise it with the Council and the developer.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 07, 2012, 10:33:39 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The only disappointment is it's only 3 story houses, higher rise flats would've been much more iconic for a main development area in Doncaster.  Such a shame we couldn't redevelop a stadium on that site really.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 07, 2012, 11:05:15 am by MrFrost »
The only disappointment is it's only 3 story houses, higher rise flats would've been much more iconic for a main development area in Doncaster.  Such a shame we couldn't redevelop a stadium on that site really.

The council have an unofficial policy that they don't want any high rise buildings in Doncaster. Someone I know works for a developer who wanted to build a 20 storey block of apartments and offices near the college but the council rejected it because it was too tall.
Shows how backwards thinking our council is.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 07, 2012, 11:09:23 am by Bentley Bullet »
I would have loved Belle Vue to be re-developed into a state of the art football ground.

I got the impression that we had to leave the site because of the enormous value the land was worth, and a new stadium could be built elsewhere for a fraction of the profit made from selling the land.

I fully expected buyers to be queueing up the minute Rovers left the site, if not before. Alas, here we are SIX years later driving past an eyesore in one of the prime (geographically) parts of Donny.

Wouldn't it have been a fabulous advert for Donny, driving past the race course, and seeing a fantastic new stadium on the other side of the road. Even the Keepmoat would have looked impressive there.

We've simply missed a trick!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:14:44 am by Bentley Bullet »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 07, 2012, 03:52:26 pm by bobjimwilly »
There was simply not enough room for a modern stadium on the site of OBV. Add to that the already busy roads, lack of parking space, proximity to housing, it was never an option really IMO.

Naming streets after the ground/stands/players is a great idea! They could also put a plaque up somewhere, or maybe even a small grassed area where the center spot was?  :thumbsup:

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 07, 2012, 04:20:51 pm by andysly »
Is it Sunderland or Middlesbrough they have a marker in a housing estate to signify where the old centre spot.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 07, 2012, 05:08:56 pm by CusworthRovers »
Depending on the size of the estate, we could honour some of the hero's of that area

Ryan Road,
Bremner Close
Snodin Way
Anderson Avenue
Doherty Street

To name but a few, and the rather apt

Penney Lane 

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 07, 2012, 05:20:43 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I thought it was normal practice to name a street only after the person was already dead......
or am i mixing that up with something else?

Bremner & Doherty would still be OK

How about calling a dual-carriageway 'AJ Boulevard'  simultaneously after Albert Jenkins and Alick Jeffrey (oh and en passant homo-phonically after the well known Danensian George Boole who might have insisted it be either/or)  :chair:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:25:04 pm by Dutch Uncle »

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 07, 2012, 05:27:01 pm by CusworthRovers »
Jeffrey is already honoured around the KM to be fair

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 07, 2012, 07:16:11 pm by stuey »

The council have an unofficial policy that they don't want any high rise buildings in Doncaster. Someone I know works for a developer who wanted to build a 20 storey block of apartments and offices near the college but the council rejected it because it was too tall.

Oh yes, high rise buildings are state of the art!! Of course the flats in Balby and high rises across the UK are things of absolute beauty!

Moaning for moanings sake comes to mind

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 07, 2012, 08:27:13 pm by MrFrost »

Oh yes, high rise buildings are state of the art!! Of course the flats in Balby and high rises across the UK are things of absolute beauty!

We are talking about buildings built decades ago. The development I am refering to was very modern and potentially could have brought a lot of private investment into Doncaster. But the council didn't approve because it was too tall, so the development went elsewhere.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 08, 2012, 01:38:42 am by bobjimwilly »
Is it Sunderland or Middlesbrough they have a marker in a housing estate to signify where the old centre spot.

I think Ayresome Park's centre spot has been marked in the middle of a housing estate? The centre spot at Roker Park was dug up and re-planted at the Stadium of Light.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #13 on December 08, 2012, 07:05:33 am by Rovin Reporter »
Depending on the size of the estate, we could honour some of the hero's of that area

Ryan Road,
Bremner Close
Snodin Way
Anderson Avenue
Doherty Street

To name but a few, and the rather apt

Penney Lane
A bit predictable as names go but they lack a more football theme , how about

Dribble cul de sac
Right back avenue
Penalty street
Off side close
Midfield lane
Cup glory road

Just a thought i'll get my coat :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 08, 2012, 09:21:36 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Duggy Legless Way
Animal Avenue
Bloody Rubbish Bremner Road
Easy For Dennis Cresent
Button Yer Pockets Lads, It's Orgasm Time Close

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 08, 2012, 09:23:38 am by GazLaz »
Theo Street

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 08, 2012, 10:07:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Andy Roads

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 08, 2012, 10:18:21 am by RedJ »

pigeonhole

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 08, 2012, 10:59:25 am by pigeonhole »
We are talking about buildings built decades ago. The development I am refering to was very modern and potentially could have brought a lot of private investment into Doncaster. But the council didn't approve because it was too tall, so the development went elsewhere.

Where was it built, out of interest? Just so we can see what we could've won.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 08, 2012, 11:05:04 am by jonnydog »
Penney Lane!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 08, 2012, 02:08:38 pm by bobjimwilly »
Just as a side point, Sunderland Council named their streets on the former Roker Park:

Promotion Close
Clockstand Close
Goalmouth Close
Midfield Drive
Turnstile Mews
Roker Park Close

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #21 on December 08, 2012, 03:21:52 pm by Rovin Reporter »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 08, 2012, 05:56:42 pm by hoolahoop »

i agree with you Stuey, we have acres of brown belt around the Borough and there are some advocating 'high rises' ........I'm astounded why folk want to house people like factory hens??

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 08, 2012, 05:59:15 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Richardson Avenue?
Weaver Terrace? :coat:
Seriously though,i wish we could have kept it as a reserve stadium,where the reserves and kids play,like they do sometimes abroad,i know it was never possible like :scarf:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 08, 2012, 06:11:12 pm by MrFrost »

i agree with you Stuey, we have acres of brown belt around the Borough and there are some advocating 'high rises' ........I'm astounded why folk want to house people like factory hens??

The development I mentioned was built in Leeds in the finish up. Could have spearheaded some regeneration of the Waterfront area had the council not been so shortsighted.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 08, 2012, 06:15:53 pm by hoolahoop »

The development I mentioned was built in Leeds in the finish up. Could have spearheaded some regeneration of the Waterfront area had the council not been so shortsighted.

Are they shortsighted though ? Where OBV is  located will always be ''prime'' land and we know quite a few folks involved in development now don't we ;)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 08, 2012, 06:17:42 pm by MrFrost »
Seeing as the site where this development would have happened is still empty, yes it was shortsighted.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 08, 2012, 06:22:10 pm by River Don »

High rise buildings can be very nice, not everyone wants a garden. There are plenty of very valuable high-rise apartments in London, i'd like an apartment at Hyde Park One!

There are also nice ones for instance in Sheffield and some of those medium rise ones at the Lakeside in Donny look very nice too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:32:03 pm by River Don »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 08, 2012, 06:37:10 pm by hoolahoop »
Agreed the one's at Lakeside are very nice , I still maintain that the Council haven't been short-sighted as Frosty has stated.
The location hasn't changed and market conditions can only improve to maximise the opportunity that this site presents. The Racecourse area hasn't been so popular for years and a massive revamp and extension is planned for the Grand St.Leger Hotel too.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 08, 2012, 06:43:04 pm by MrFrost »
Agreed the one's at Lakeside are very nice , I still maintain that the Council haven't been short-sighted as Frosty has stated.
The location hasn't changed and market conditions can only improve to maximise the opportunity that this site presents. The Racecourse area hasn't been so popular for years and a massive revamp and extension is planned for the Grand St.Leger Hotel too.

That wasn't my point, my point is the council block any high rise developments regardless of the location, as I pointed out with my example.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012