Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:09:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Belle Vue  (Read 8319 times)

Muttley

• VSC Member
Re: Belle Vue
« Reply #30 on December 08, 2012, 06:45:57 pm by Muttley »
re BV -  DMBC have a published policy that any development should be "sympathetic" to any existing neighbouring properties, the originally proposed scheme wasn't and so was corectly thrown out after the local residents objected.

re the propsed develipment near the college, the only one that I can recall getting any press coverage was Graham Rhoden's plan to develop the Warehouse  nightclub site in Marshgate which seemed like a bit of a punt to me with no real intent behind it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 08, 2012, 07:05:26 pm by River Don »
There should be plenty of scope if the criteria is sympathetic. I suppose that might be just a catch all to stop anything high or modern though and a tick for anything with redbrick.

For me it's just matter of encouraging good development. We seem to have built plenty of soulless duplo brick miniaturised houses lately. They also tend to get packed together in estates with very small gardens. Often they make savings by for instance keeping windows very small, studies show a lack of natural light will make you depressed.

To me that isn't good development. If the alternative is some nice flats overlooking the river or the racecourse, I'd prefer that.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:12:58 pm by River Don »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 08, 2012, 07:18:32 pm by hoolahoop »
There should be plenty of scope if the criteria is sympathetic. I suppose that might be just a catch all to stop anything high or modern though and a tick for anything with redbrick.

For me it's just matter of encouraging good development. We seem to have built plenty of soulless duplo brick miniaturised houses lately. They also tend to get packed together in estates with very small gardens. Often they make savings by for instance keeping windows very small, studies show a lack of natural light will make you depressed.

To me that isn't good development. If the alternative is some nice flats overlooking the river, I'd prefer that.

I understand that and wouldn't be adverse to flats not exceeding 6-8  storeys high surrounding a proper communal landscaped area . There are many of these in the inner cities especially London, little inner sanctuaries, well maintained with their own little micro environments. Somewhere to sit, read have a chat with your fellow flatmates or  listen to the birds and contemplate........folk die for these in inner London. Why not here ?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 08, 2012, 07:22:37 pm by River Don »

To me that isn't good development. If the alternative is some nice flats overlooking the river, I'd prefer that.

I understand that and wouldn't be adverse to flats not exceeding 6-8  storeys high surrounding a proper communal landscaped area . There are many of these in the inner cities especially London, little inner sanctuaries, well maintained with their own little micro environments. Somewhere to sit, read have a chat with your fellow flatmates or  listen to the birds and contemplate........folk die for these in inner London. Why not here ?

I completely agree. In Switzerland they have these traditional medium rise complexes built around a communal square. They're great, you get nice views from the outer windows and then there's generally a balcony overlooking the courtyard inside, which is sheltered from most of the weather.

I'd love to see thinking like that in new buildings in Donny.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 08, 2012, 07:30:26 pm by hoolahoop »

I completely agree. In Switzerland they have these traditional medium rise complexes built around a communal square. They're great, you get nice views from the outer windows and then there's generally a balcony overlooking the courtyard inside, which is sheltered from most of the weather.

Yep they love them in Switzerland and I have seen these in Rome too , we should start a campaign to bring in this really civilised and social way of living RD.
Is Donny ready for this yet though ?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 08, 2012, 07:37:32 pm by River Don »

Yep they love them in Switzerland and I have seen these in Rome too , we should start a campaign to bring in this really civilised and social way of living RD.

Well, I always admired Tony Wilson when he said Manchester is the second most important city on the planet after New York. And meant it.

Wouldn't it be great to see that kind of dogged civic pride here?

Donny should be leading the way.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 08, 2012, 08:43:27 pm by hoolahoop »

Well, I always admired Tony Wilson when he said Manchester is the second most important city on the planet after New York. And meant it.

Wouldn't it be great to see that kind of dogged civic pride here?

Donny should be leading the way.

It would be fantastic VD but there has to be a radical movement in the way folk around here think these days. Always negativity and too often grumbles so different from the way folk around here thought in the past hence the magnificent town that was built around hard work and a positive attitude.
The 60/70's knocked the stuffing out of us and we've rarely overcome that all pervading mentality since. There are so many positive things about this town........we just need the people within it's borders to recognise what they have and what they can produce for the future. We have a beautiful airport, new Civic Quarter, one of the finest Racecourses in the world, beautiful buildings, fine shopping centres, a beautiful market and of course our landscape not forgetting of course the Rovers.
It can be done and I know that the Council tries it's best to promote our town albeit we have cocked up badly in the recent past.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 08, 2012, 09:08:10 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Agreed the one's at Lakeside are very nice , I still maintain that the Council haven't been short-sighted as Frosty has stated.
The location hasn't changed and market conditions can only improve to maximise the opportunity that this site presents. The Racecourse area hasn't been so popular for years and a massive revamp and extension is planned for the Grand St.Leger Hotel too.

That wasn't my point, my point is the council block any high rise developments regardless of the location, as I pointed out with my example.

Good that ain't short sighted  thats terrific vision, go and have a look at some of the monstrositys down Barking and Dagenham and other parts of the suburbs and I'm not including the the pretty well off Boro's that come up with iconic masterpieces  :blink:  cos Donny wouldn't come up with them.

However there could have been a trick missed with about 4 storeys with balconys overlooking the racecourse  etc and before anyone slates I haven't a clue whats planned for there, may have been agreed or anything

I could near enough guarantee  whatever high rise was put up there, It  would be a whopping great eyesore give it 10 years

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 09, 2012, 10:13:48 am by godlike1 »
Clownshoes lane?
Shouty bags crescent?

scriptman

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 09, 2012, 12:44:37 pm by scriptman »
The only disappointment is it's only 3 story houses, higher rise flats would've been much more iconic for a main development area in Doncaster.  Such a shame we couldn't redevelop a stadium on that site really.

The council have an unofficial policy that they don't want any high rise buildings in Doncaster. Someone I know works for a developer who wanted to build a 20 storey block of apartments and offices near the college but the council rejected it because it was too tall.
Shows how backwards thinking our council is.

I am not aware of any such policy, unofficial or otherwise. It wasn't the council who objected to the high rise development, it was the people of Belle Vue and Hyde Park.  On the contrary, I suspect the council will encourage high rise development. The rateable value of high rise developments, especially residential, greatly exceeds two and three storey houses in regards to council tax receipts. 

I am aware the land around the college is earmarked for a much larger Waterfront Project in excess of £200 million. Upwards of £20 million has already been spent so far in redeveloping the land.

There was an application for a skyscraper type building to be built just off the North Bridge. This was rejected, not fully because of its height but through its lack of coherence. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012