Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:07:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bye bye Saunders  (Read 6425 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Bye bye Saunders
« on January 05, 2013, 09:56:35 pm by MrFrost »
Didn't think i'd be saying this a year ago, but i'm gutted.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Bye bye Saunders
« Reply #1 on January 05, 2013, 09:59:49 pm by Dare to dream! »
Dissapointed. We gave him his big chance he could have repaid us by turning this offer down hes a young manager and has time on his side

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 05, 2013, 10:00:56 pm by RTID75 »
Jesus wept. Just as things were starting to turn around for us after two years of shite. I hope this isn't true. I'm starting to get fed up with people being nicked off us when we do well.

Some people might shoot me down, but Penney back in for me. The team we have right now is very similar to his Rovers teams of old, he knows the ropes and a decent proportion of fans still hold him very dear.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 05, 2013, 10:01:17 pm by mushRTID »
Why not finish the job!!!!!!!!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 05, 2013, 10:02:34 pm by hoolahoop »
STOP JUMPING THE BLOODY GUN YOU LOT  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 05, 2013, 10:04:17 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Agreed. Compensation would be big, though no idea what is in his contract.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 05, 2013, 10:05:06 pm by Red wizard »
Tbf his stock is very high atm. Wolves are a big job he may not get the chance of again. I was saying the other week other teams will be sniffing round him soon. He's a big name from his playing days and has done very well for us dispite cutting the wage bill. That doesn't go un noticed in the football world.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 05, 2013, 10:05:13 pm by MrFrost »

Agreed. Compensation would be big, though no idea what is in his contract.

Not much if Billy Sharp is anything to go by.

AntoDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 05, 2013, 10:08:34 pm by AntoDRFC »
sheep shagging bas**rd if he has gone!

DGilbrideDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 05, 2013, 10:15:08 pm by DGilbrideDRFC »
He is now 1/3 to get the job, Frankel never lost and his odds were around that Mark.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 05, 2013, 10:52:19 pm by RTID75 »
Amazing how quickly rumours take hold these days. I still hope all of this isn't true, but even if it isn't, I hope this isn't the start of more head turning to come. All you need is a little success and it seems you're wide open to have people plucked from your grasp. The start of our Championship demise was a couple of key players being taken from us by bigger, flashier boys. Let's hope it isn't the manager's turn...

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 05, 2013, 10:55:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
Amazing how quickly rumours take hold these days. I still hope all of this isn't true, but even if it isn't, I hope this isn't the start of more head turning to come. All you need is a little success and it seems you're wide open to have people plucked from your grasp. The start of our Championship demise was a couple of key players being taken from us by bigger, flashier boys. Let's hope it isn't the manager's turn...

Actually the 2011/12 had been preceded by nobody of any stature leaving at all. In fact that was seen as a very strong side. We went down because SOD had not put together a defence that could defend, a midfield that could defend and insisted on fielding a goalkeeper who was too inexperienced for the Championship.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 05, 2013, 10:57:45 pm by normal rules »
I think you will find this is more than a rumour.
The deal is done.

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 05, 2013, 10:58:23 pm by Woodhead Passer »
He can't go, he's February on the Rovers Calendar!

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 05, 2013, 10:58:36 pm by RTID75 »

Actually the 2011/12 had been preceded by nobody of any stature leaving at all. In fact that was seen as a very strong side. We went down because SOD had not put together a defence that could defend, a midfield that could defend and insisted on fielding a goalkeeper who was too inexperienced for the Championship.

No, I'm talking Wellens and Mills. It was slowly (then rapidly) downhill from there on in. It just sucks that when the vultures begin to circle there's nothing you can do as a 'little' club to stop your best assets being taken from you.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 05, 2013, 11:00:31 pm by DearneValleyRover »
No official approach yet, numerous threads about it yet this one states he' s gone, keeps your name in lights and another post count Mr.frost?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 05, 2013, 11:01:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
Both Wellens and Mills left at the end
No, I'm talking Wellens and Mills. It was slowly (then rapidly) downhill from there on in. It just sucks that when the vultures begin to circle there's nothing you can do as a 'little' club to stop your best assets being taken from you.

Both Wellens and Mills left at the end of our first season in the Championship, 2008/9 when we finished 14th. The following season, 2009/10 we finished higher, in 12th place with more points than the previous season.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 05, 2013, 11:02:07 pm by MrFrost »
No official approach yet, numerous threads about it yet this one states he' s gone, keeps your name in lights and another post count Mr.frost?

Yeah, why not. Thanks for the attention.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 05, 2013, 11:05:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is surreal. Current manager and ex-manager being courted for the Wolves job. We thought at some point it would be a natural progression for SOD and now he's been overtaken it seems by our current manager.

They must hold JR/DRFC in high regard in terms of our choice of managers and the opportunities we give them !

Hopefully wake up in the morning realising it's a bad dream.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 05, 2013, 11:07:57 pm by RedJ »
Breaking - Steve Wignall has, after a frantic rush, just updated his CV.

Perhaps that one should have stayed in my text inbox.. :laugh: :coat:

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 05, 2013, 11:11:11 pm by RTID75 »
Both Wellens and Mills left at the end

Both Wellens and Mills left at the end of our first season in the Championship, 2008/9 when we finished 14th. The following season, 2009/10 we finished higher, in 12th place with more points than the previous season.

I suppose I'm talking things starting to go wrong more than points and places. For me, it was the start of our exit from the Championship in not being able to hold onto our best players a mere season into our big time. IMHO, we've never managed to replace Wellens to this day.

My point basically was that it sucks having the vultures circle as soon as you get a bit of success and I sincerely hope it isn't the case with Saunders after half a season of decent results.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 05, 2013, 11:11:59 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Why not? plenty of threads to comment on but you had to start your own, plus your facts are at present incorrect as Wolves have not approached manager, the question is what are you feeding? misinformation or your ego?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 05, 2013, 11:13:20 pm by MrFrost »

Why not? plenty of threads to comment on but you had to start your own, plus your facts are at present incorrect as Wolves have not approached manager, the question is what are you feeding? misinformation or your ego?

Sorry, I didn't realise I had to ask your permission before starting a thread. My bad. I'll be sure to ask in the future.

And it depends which Tweet you believe as to whether Saunders has been approached or not.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 05, 2013, 11:13:40 pm by BobG »
I agree with you RTID. Our slide did begin then when we couldn't or wouldn't replace the quality we had lost. Everything after was just ever more frantic scrabbling to paper over the cracks.

BobG

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 05, 2013, 11:16:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
I agree with you RTID. Our slide did begin then when we couldn't or wouldn't replace the quality we had lost. Everything after was just ever more frantic scrabbling to paper over the cracks.

BobG

I think we are going to disagree here. When fit, the midfield of Copps, Stock, Oster and Woods was easily Championship quality. The problem was depth (and that was never going to be solved by retaining Wellens) and more importantly our defence, which Shackell and maybe Ward aside, was far too weak in the middle and nowhere near good enough for the Championship. Up front with Sharp and Hayter I think we were ok, but again not enough depth.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 05, 2013, 11:18:20 pm by RedJ »
If O'Driscoll hadn't seemingly hated Heffernan being played, he'd have been good enough back up for me for them two.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 05, 2013, 11:19:05 pm by BobG »
Eh? I think you've just agreed with both RTID and I!

BobG

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 05, 2013, 11:21:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
Eh? I think you've just agreed with both RTID and I!

BobG
Not quite! Retaining Wellens and Mills would not have solved our strength in depth problem. We just didn't have the money to compete and SOD was rightly or wrongly unwilling to change style to allow us to stay up with the resources we had.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 05, 2013, 11:24:54 pm by BobG »
Ahh. OK. Agree about the lack of depth. But that's unsolvable for a club like ours at a standard like that so my thought is that quality is needed to have a fighting chance. we had that in that first season - it could have gone wrong with injuries but that's the luck of the draw - but in the second season we had neither the quality nor the depth. We needed one or the other. We had neither.

Cheers

BobG

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 05, 2013, 11:28:13 pm by the vicar »
well the official site dunt say its a done deal there has been no approach

TinyPortal © 2005-2012