Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:45:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Weather...  (Read 5498 times)

weststander

• VSC Member
Weather...
« on January 15, 2013, 10:43:18 am by weststander »
not looking too good for the rest of the week temperature wise on top of the snow. I assume the pitch will be covered but does anyone know what the ground is like generally from a crowd safety point of view? Will the club need ready hands to help clear any ice?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Weather...
« Reply #1 on January 15, 2013, 10:46:02 am by GazLaz »
No chance it will be on on Saturday.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 15, 2013, 10:46:47 am by Nudga »
Bloody weather has already cost me £300 this week.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 15, 2013, 11:15:10 am by Norfolk N Chance »
It will be off on basis of history and  alway a few lower at KM for some reason!

Orient is quite good from too could have been good contest and are no pushovers!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 15, 2013, 11:49:18 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's often chilly at the KMS even on a warm day! The bloody great lake knocks the temperature down, and my brother in law who worked around there told me that the area is about a degree colder than the rest of Donny.

This can make all the difference whether or not a game goes on during low temperatures.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 15, 2013, 12:11:34 pm by jonnydog »
Will be off. I just wonder when we will know for definite, 2pm on Saturday probably!

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 15, 2013, 12:12:30 pm by scuzzer »
Agree, can't see it being on for the life of me!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 15, 2013, 12:15:26 pm by GazLaz »
They struggle to get it on when the temperature drops below about 10C or if there is more than 1/2mm of rain.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 15, 2013, 12:29:37 pm by IDM »
I am expecting this one to be called off.  I wouldn't go as far as to say it definitely will be off, not yet, but I'm not optimistic.

Then again, it is mid-January, we can expect one or two games to be off...

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 15, 2013, 12:48:03 pm by hoolahoop »
I'm expecting this to be on providing covered up properly in time.......snow thawing although heavy frosts at night. If the pitch is covered then providing the weather picks up we should be ok.
The safety issue is bloody ridiculous if you can work, travel , walk up the street etc then why should it be a factor imo it's all about the pitch being playable or should be.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 15, 2013, 01:03:44 pm by IDM »
But someone would sue if they slipped on icy steps in the stands and broke their leg.

Your workplace should grit/salt their paths, the council should do the roads etc.  The football club/stadium operator needs to ensure the stadium is safe for the public.  It is called duty of care.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 15, 2013, 01:33:03 pm by RobTheRover »
Exactly IDM, and this could be the first test of the Rovers since they took over the running of the stadium.  I'm sure they will do all tyhey can to get the game on though - keeping our noses in front is a great psychological boost to the players.

Looking at the forecast on Friday and Saturday, I would say that a decision should be taken late Friday/early Saturday.  The days look virtually the same on the forecast.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 15, 2013, 01:37:28 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Exactly IDM, and this could be the first test of the Rovers since they took over the running of the stadium.  I'm sure they will do all tyhey can to get the game on though - keeping our noses in front is a great psychological boost to the players.

Looking at the forecast on Friday and Saturday, I would say that a decision should be taken late Friday/early Saturday.  The days look virtually the same on the forecast.

If that's the case Rob then inspect at 3pm on Friday, if it's unplayable then it's a no brainer.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 15, 2013, 01:46:41 pm by RobTheRover »
I agree it would look extremely unlikely to be played if its unplayable at 3pm on friday, but I'll leave it to the professionals to make that call.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 15, 2013, 02:19:15 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I agree it would look extremely unlikely to be played if its unplayable at 3pm on friday, but I'll leave it to the professionals to make that call.

:saywhat:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 15, 2013, 02:38:40 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
So come on how do we work against mother nature?

We tried most things?

The offical word is we are adding more covers - Dont we always do this?

Most of time called off as corners that never get the sun always frozen thus presenting a danagerous outfield.

What about oil burners? Hot air blowers?

Or call Rob Jones to blow on the pitch #RobJonesfacts

northerncasual

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 15, 2013, 05:29:35 pm by northerncasual »
Looking at bbc website temperatures not going to get above 0

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 15, 2013, 08:29:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So we're looking at match status: Amber.

Keep checking in for updates before travelling.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 15, 2013, 09:43:06 pm by the vicar »
THE PITCH IS WELL COVERED AND NO SNOW ANYWHERE  TO BE SEEN

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 15, 2013, 11:56:47 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
We should do what Newcastle did about 80 years ago - covered the pitch with a few feet of straw, then set fire to it to melt the frost  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately for them it rained soon after and turned the pitch into a mess, so of course they solved that by covering it all with sand, and did play on it  :boxing:

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 16, 2013, 12:01:50 am by Dagenham Rover »
We should do what Newcastle did about 80 years ago - covered the pitch with a few feet of straw, then set fire to it to melt the frost  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately for them it rained soon after and turned the pitch into a mess, so of course they solved that by covering it all with sand, and did play on it  :boxing:

Not so sure the setting fire was normal  but I'm sure chucking straw over the pitch was fairly common

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 16, 2013, 12:05:25 am by IDM »
We could do with this being on to get some points now that the MK match is off.  OK we'd have games in hand, but there's nothing like points in the bag and sitting joint top of the league!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 16, 2013, 08:01:53 am by RedJ »
I'm sure we used to put hay or straw on the pitch at OBV at one point?

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 16, 2013, 09:48:51 am by Viking Don »
-4 out there this morning, snow predicted for Friday and all weekend. Absolutely no chance of the game being on so don't bother making plans.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 16, 2013, 10:30:32 am by benaldo »
I blame the fact the jet stream has moved north - permanently! So get used to this folks - shite rainy summers and cold winters. This is UK weather for a long time to come. And if you think YOU'VE got problems - I'm heading out to stay in a forest on the Belgian/Dutch border on Friday for a week with a couple of well known heavyweight boxers and their family! It's a trip I've just GOT to make and I've been looking forward to it for weeks.
The UK is shutting down because the temperatures are 5 degrees colder than normal and there is 2 inches of snow.......give me strength.....

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 16, 2013, 10:33:30 am by The L J Monk »
I blame the fact the jet stream has moved north - permanently! So get used to this folks - shite rainy summers and cold winters. This is UK weather for a long time to come. And if you think YOU'VE got problems - I'm heading out to stay in a forest on the Belgian/Dutch border on Friday for a week with a couple of well known heavyweight boxers and their family! It's a trip I've just GOT to make and I've been looking forward to it for weeks.
The UK is shutting down because the temperatures are 5 degrees colder than normal and there is 2 inches of snow.......give me strength.....

Do you work for the Daily Express?

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 16, 2013, 10:38:20 am by benaldo »
No...thank goodness.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 16, 2013, 10:49:38 am by The L J Monk »
I think you have the "sensational qualities" they might be looking for.

And the ability to get your facts muddled up.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 16, 2013, 10:58:05 am by hoolahoop »
Although I thought that there was a chance to get this game on on Monday the overnight frost and subsequent fog will make this game virtually unplayable now. I doubt whether the pitch will Take a stud now even though the covers have been on and there is the Health and Safety factor to take into account now the ice is covering pavements, roads , gangways etc......GUTTED.  :(

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 16, 2013, 11:02:16 am by benaldo »
 ooooooo .......saucer of milk...table two.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012