Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:18:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Europol: A Champions League Clash in England was fixed!  (Read 3739 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Europol: A Champions League Clash in England was fixed!
« Reply #1 on February 04, 2013, 12:02:16 pm by silent majority »
Declan Hill is the journalist who exposes all of this stuff, met him a couple of times and the stories he tells can be scary stuff!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-interview-expert-calls-arrest-well-known-fixer-173537549.html

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 04, 2013, 12:14:47 pm by BobG »
If it's true, (and who thinks it isn't?) this could kill professional football as it's understood today - at least at the higher levels. Who would pay to go watch a match, either live or on the tv, when the result isn't down to the 25 guys running around on the pitch?

I should have thought that Sky would be seriously, seriously, concerned by this. Wonder what they're doing to help?

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 04, 2013, 12:17:34 pm by GazLaz »
I used to get info about bent Scottish lower league games. 8 out of 9 won then it dried up when they got investigated.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 04, 2013, 12:43:41 pm by The L J Monk »
The article states the game was in the last 3 or 4 years.

Chelsea Barca 2009?

"People are making suggestions, but it's difficult to prove things," said Hiddink. "Conspiracy is a very tough word and you have to be able to prove it. But when you analyse things closely, then I also start thinking ...

...players make many mistakes, coaches make mistakes, referees make mistakes. That's why we speak about giving them the benefit of the doubt. But if you have seen three or four situations waved away, then [Ovrebo's performance] was the worst I have seen. At this moment, I'd have to think a lot if I have seen worse. The overall feeling is one of being robbed and one of injustice. That's why it was so hot and angry."

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 04, 2013, 12:46:06 pm by Filo »
I wonder which Champions league match it was?

The Barcelona v Chelsea match a few years back when Barca got a very very dodgy penalty to go through or was it Chelsea that got denied a stonewall penalty, i can`t remember springs to mind, I remember Drogba going mental at the final whistle

EDIT: Beat me to it Mr Monk  :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:48:39 pm by Filo »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 04, 2013, 12:59:34 pm by GazLaz »
It's usually the qualifying rounds of European competitions. No chance that match was bent.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 04, 2013, 01:09:25 pm by Mr1Croft »
They have said it is a Champions League match that they are investigating, and as soon as I heard about it the CL Chelsea Barca match sprung to mind first. Had Chelsea gone through it would have been a Chelsea vs Manchester United final for the second year running...

But what happens as a consequence? If it was a match that saw a team dumped out of CL, then they were robbed of not only the chance of winning the most prestigious competition in the world and the finances it brings.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 04, 2013, 01:21:16 pm by Filo »
Found it, 3 stonewall penalty`s denied and you could make a case for the one on Drogba

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENQDQ52SOY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENQDQ52SOY</a>

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 04, 2013, 01:33:43 pm by GazLaz »
The first two are dives, you could make a case for penalties though, Eto'o was protecting his face and Pique was playing basketball.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 04, 2013, 01:48:47 pm by The L J Monk »
I'm more inclined to think it would have been a dead rubber, or fairly meaningless, group game, where an unexpected result pops up. There's a few of these, and most feature Asia's favourite team:

2008/09
Man Utd 2 Aalborg 2

2009/10
Man Utd 3 CSKA Moscow 3
Man Utd 0 Besiktas 1
Chelsea 2 Apoel 2

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 04, 2013, 02:08:32 pm by wing commander »
I think we should be looking for a drubbing...I just cant see a man u/chelsea/Arsenal even considering it...However a very poor/small team from russia or eastern europe may be tempted to lose by the required number of goals...Certainly worrying stuff whatever..

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 04, 2013, 02:22:09 pm by DonnyNoel »
I've seen the Man U/Besiktas one suggested on a few message boards, not that that means anything of course. Weakened side etc, although to flip it round didn't Man U win in Valencia in recent years with a weakened side? There's no suggestion as yet as to which side was affected (ie the English club or the opposition).

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 04, 2013, 03:14:02 pm by Pintolager »
I may be being very cynical, but I wonder if UEFA and FIFA knew about all this but kept schtum?

I am thinking this is just the tip of the iceberg  :mad:

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 04, 2013, 03:16:56 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
I may be being very cynical, but I wonder if UEFA and FIFA knew about all this but kept schtum?

I am thinking this is just the tip of the iceberg  :mad:

Well they choose who referee's who...

UEFA and FIFA are not exactly helping them. No surprise, both those organisations are run on corruption!

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 04, 2013, 03:23:49 pm by Pintolager »
Not just Champions League, but the world of football is affected by these allegations with the amount of games that are being talked about. I suppose it was just a matter of time before all this came out but I bet it will just be a case of folk passing on the blame which is human nature afterall and this affair will rumble on and on

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 04, 2013, 04:20:36 pm by Sod This For a Laugh »
Bury V Doncaster 2013 Has to have corruption written all over it :thumbsup:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 04, 2013, 04:21:13 pm by Filo »
I think we should be looking for a drubbing...I just cant see a man u/chelsea/Arsenal even considering it...However a very poor/small team from russia or eastern europe may be tempted to lose by the required number of goals...Certainly worrying stuff whatever..

How about Man Utd 7 Roma 1

It falls out of the last 4 years range but it was a freakish result

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 04, 2013, 06:05:51 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
I doubt it's going to be a game that involves a big scoreline... Would be far easier to detect. I doubt the english champions league match involved the players/club officials either... Can you imagine the likes of Chelsea/City/Arsenal/Man U etc. recking their own club for a couple of hundred grand?

It'll be the Chelsea V Barcelona game and i doubt either club knew anything about it, just the official(s).

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 04, 2013, 06:40:30 pm by DonnyNoel »
Do we know if it was the actual result of the match that was fixed or are we into the murky world of first throw in type markets?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 04, 2013, 06:55:30 pm by Nudga »
Bury V Doncaster 2013 Has to have corruption written all over it :thumbsup:

I wonder if Copps had a couple of grand on that scoreline?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 04, 2013, 08:36:45 pm by idler »
Rovers 3 Portsmouth 4.
I could. Believe that one. :0(

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 04, 2013, 08:48:24 pm by donnievic »
Leeds fans think they have got the dates wrong and think they ment from Q
1975 and not last 5 seasons.cant see it myself think there clutching at straws

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 04, 2013, 08:51:39 pm by The L J Monk »
Danish paper Ekstra Bladet claims the 2 CL matches under suspicion for match-fixing are Liverpool v Debrecen & Debrecen v Fiorentina in 2009. Liverpool and Fiorentina not suspected.

https://twitter.com/m_christenson

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2013, 09:47:21 am by RobTheRover »
Hmmmm, no mention in those tweets that there is no suspicion on Debrecen, though.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 05, 2013, 10:29:40 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I'm very confident that whatever game it is, it wont be the english club doing the dodgy scheming.

Was listening it talksport this morning who have a guy on from betfred every morning with the latest betting odds.  He spoke really well actually about how heavily monitored the betting sites are and how quick irregularities are flagged up and reported to the appropriate people.

Still a shame all the same.  Would be nice to think that what we're watching is genuine

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 05, 2013, 11:49:14 am by oggycompton »
Rumour has it that it was Liverpool V Debrecen in 2009. It finished 1-0. I find that odd though as if that was the case and the English clubs werent involved as suspected, you would expect that the bet would have been over 2.5 goals or maybe even more as Debrecen were massive underdogs. Interesting. Unless it was any score to 0 if that makes sense.

The report I have read has sadi that no English clubs were involved or are suspected, thats a massive plus I must say.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 05, 2013, 12:20:29 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
Just shows how shit Liverpool are, when they can only score 1 goal V a bribed goalkeeper expected to let in more  :laugh:

Poor Liverpool.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 05, 2013, 12:26:40 pm by DRNaith »
You can bet on all sorts these days though can't you?

Number of shots off target for a particular team, number of corners, number of hand balls given.

It may be criteria that you can't even get data for this far on

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 05, 2013, 12:54:46 pm by oggycompton »
Yeah thats a good point, just would have thought that it would have been a goalfest or cardfest.

Apparently it was the keeper that is in trouble. Already serving 2 years for match fixing, so for it to be 1-0.... I dont know, I guess you cant win every bet. Shows that even when a team are trying to throw it and lose big, Liverpool are that poor that they still only win 1-0  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012