Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:25:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Colin Grainger  (Read 2898 times)

drfc1951

• Forum Member
Colin Grainger
« on February 06, 2013, 09:15:31 pm by drfc1951 »
Does anyone remember Colin Grainger, who played for us in 1964/65 season.Hes  the guest of honour at
Wembley tonight.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Colin Grainger
« Reply #1 on February 06, 2013, 09:33:30 pm by BobG »
I remember the name - but that's it I'm afraid. We need Alonzo. He'll know him. I think he was a good player - from my memories of what my old Dad used to say, but I have no idea in what position!

Wonder what he did to be worthy of being guest of honour?

BobG

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2013, 09:46:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I think he was en ex England left winger (not talking about he politics lol) who was past his best when he played for us. He was still pretty good and played regularly in the 1964-5 season when Alick was the Football League's leading goalscorer - and I think Colin had a hand in several. 

My main memory was of him being sent off in the home match against Brighton who were promoted that season. He was involved in a fight - I think it may have been with the former Spurs and England centre-forward Bobby Smith - and both players were sent off I think. That was very much out of character for Colin who seemed very mild the rest of the time.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2013, 09:53:03 pm by idler »
He played on the left wing and also played the drums, not at the same time though.
 I remember him losing his temper against Brighton and nutting the full back, a sending off even in those days.
In the same game Brighton's Jack Smith kept ignoring the ref's call to go overt to him. Eventually he marched over like a guardsman to him, stood to attention and then saluted, he got booked. Imagine seeing that on match of the day now and all over YouTube. We won 2 0 as well against a Brighton side that got promoted and had end of season gates of 30,000.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 06, 2013, 09:56:36 pm by idler »
You just beat me to it Dutch.
There was a newspaper story at the time that Colin played the drums while Alick sang and there was a chance of the duo going round the clubs as a turn.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 06, 2013, 09:59:06 pm by Drover »
He was on local tv earlier,He is the only surviving player from the England team that beat Brazil 4-2 in 1956(Thats why he was guess of honour),it was his debut and he scored Englands first and last goals.On tv it went on about his Sheff Utd career,I did'nt realise he played for us too.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 06, 2013, 10:19:50 pm by newyankee »
Colin was a very fine  left winger and joined the Rovers at rthe end of his career, as others have said he and Alick worked the clubs together.  Colin was very much like another former Sunderland winger, Len Shackleton. They were both players who let the ball do the work.

I remember Colin's brother Horace more as I took over from him as Secretary at Hunslet Rugby League Club. He and his wife Mabel were a well known couple in Rugby circles. Horace never made it as a footballer and then turned to Rugby League.

He was always proud when talking about Colin.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 06, 2013, 10:45:56 pm by Alonzo Drake »
Wow -- great stuff! Memories of Colin Grainger recall my first full season of supporting the Rovers. He was born in 1933, and will be 80 this year.

Grainger was the regular left winger in our 64/65 team, and I recall being so proud that we had an ex-England international in our team. He played a few games in that position in 65/66, but lost his place to Tony Coleman.

Grainger made a great partnership with Alick Jeffrey in 64/65, on and off the pitch. Off the pitch, Grainger and King Alick were a club turn around Donny as a singing duo. In fact, Grainger enjoyed a very successful career as a singer, and I recall him saying that in the late 1950s when he was a superstar winger with Sunderland, he could earn twice as much per week as a singer in summer shows!

Grainger sang at the London Palladium, and in June, 1963 was on the same bill as the Beatles at Manchester's Southern Sporting Club!

He made 40 D4 appearances in all for us, scoring three goals. He's in this 1965 team pic, second in from the right in the middle row, sat between John Henderson and John Wylie. In front of him sat on the left is a fresh-faced Alan Warboys, and behind him to the right is the Rovers Prince of dribble, Albert Broadbent -- my schoolboy hero.

[attachment deleted by cleanup process]

TinyPortal © 2005-2012