Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:45:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tweak it back Brian!  (Read 7186 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: Tweak it back Brian!
« Reply #30 on February 12, 2013, 11:55:25 pm by MrFrost »
Continuity was the answer, like was discussed at the time. He's had 5 games and got 7 points, hardly a disaster is it? Plus he's dealing with the biggest injury crisis of the season.
5 games and were writing him off, haven't got a clue what some people have upstairs sometimes

I'm not saying we should sack him. I'm questioning if he was the best applicant in over 100, or if we were just thinking about the wallet.
I don't see anything in the way of continuity from the performances or attitude of players.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 12, 2013, 11:57:57 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Of course if paynter had scored that goal which a 2 year old child could have ...then maybe ....

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 12, 2013, 11:58:57 pm by hoolahoop »
Most people on here wanted him, no point in using hindsight against him.
People forget are squad is thread bare and today we had 4 or 5 first team starters out the side.
I'd have settled for a point when I saw that lineup,

Where did you get that idea from and why would you settle for a point when you are a) Pushing to lead the table b) Playing at home against lesser opposition  c) The team you are playing have a massive game for them on Satdi and d) The team you are playing couldn't hit a barn door themselves. ???

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 12, 2013, 11:59:58 pm by dickos1 »
Today was bad, granted, but we've had home performances just as bad this season.
Orient was very good, stevenage was same performance as we've produced many times on our travels, bury was good in second half, we could've scored 6, and on sat we were unlucky to lose.
I don't think we were thinking about the wallet, we didn't want to upset the apple cart, Flynn may have got carried away with the orient performance and now needs to go back to basics but that's part of learning about the players etc, he's been in charge less than a month for gods sake

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 13, 2013, 12:02:13 am by dickos1 »
Most people on here wanted him, no point in using hindsight against him.
People forget are squad is thread bare and today we had 4 or 5 first team starters out the side.
I'd have settled for a point when I saw that lineup,

Where did you get that idea from and why would you settle for a point when you are a) Pushing to lead the table b) Playing at home against lesser opposition  c) The team you are playing have a massive game for them on Satdi and d) The team you are playing couldn't hit a barn door themselves. ???

Where did I get what idea from??
Why would I settle for a point? Well maybe because 4 of our better players were out we didn't have a midfield and mk dons have probably the most expensive squad in the league.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 13, 2013, 12:03:14 am by drfcsteve »
I would have probably accepted a point before the game, but it's the way we played that was appalling. People won't continue to pay to watch 90 minutes of complete shit. There only seemed to be Coppinger trying tonight.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 13, 2013, 12:04:54 am by dickos1 »
It was no different to Crewe, Preston, Crawley, etc etc

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 13, 2013, 12:08:26 am by Norfolk N Chance »
I would have probably accepted a point before the game, but it's the way we played that was appalling. People won't continue to pay to watch 90 minutes of complete shit. There only seemed to be Coppinger trying tonight.

Sorry they tried and at the start of the second half they were pressing high up the pitch not giving them a minute.

Have to say towards the end we were more concerned about drawing and stopping the rot and in reality if we are to compete at the top end these are the games you need to win!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 13, 2013, 12:09:24 am by mrfrostsdad »
This is the third time I've posted this on here, and no doubt will again:
Someone please tell me any established, well known manager who would come to any club with no money whatsoever to spend. Jack shit, zilch, bugger all.
There isn't one. Hence Flynn got the job. No other reason. He was clueless tonight. Why was Woods not substituted when he'd had his final, final warning? He daren't make a tackle in the last 25 minutes. Not that he can tackle anyway.
New manager at the end of the season, and some new players. Please?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 13, 2013, 12:10:43 am by dickos1 »
I didn't want a point sammy but when I saw the line up I would've taken a draw there and then.
They have some very good players on paper, and their wage bill must be astonishing

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 13, 2013, 12:16:08 am by Belle Vue Popside »
Someone please tell me any established, well known manager who would come to any club with no money whatsoever to spend. Jack shit, zilch, bugger all.
There isn't one. Hence Flynn got the job. No other reason. He was clueless tonight. Why was Woods not substituted when he'd had his final, final warning? He daren't make a tackle in the last 25 minutes. Not that he can tackle anyway.
New manager at the end of the season, and some new players. Please?

That will happen... It's got to.

There must be a reason Flynn only got a deal until the summer. Read Williams interview on DROS too...

"When he came on to me and told me there was a possibility he was going to be put in charge of the club for a period of time, and whether I would I fancy coming to the end of the season I said yes I’ll take it on."

Hardly strikes of something long term does it?

TISDALE IN  :thumbsup:

pubteam

« Reply #41 on February 13, 2013, 12:18:08 am by pubteam »
Maybe Saunders will be available by the end of the season?

I'd have him back. Let him finish what he started.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 13, 2013, 12:59:07 am by RoversAlias »

If that is the case then why did we have 150 applicants? I don't believe the theory that we had no choice but to appoint Flynn.

I feel John Ryan jumped the gun appointing Flynny on the back of a last minute winner at Stevenage and I said as much at the time. I have had my reservations that this is the right way forward but feel that without any need to majorly change a winning side he couldn't really go wrong between now and the end of the campaign. And I still believe that to be true, but also still reserve my judgement of how we've dalt with the departure of Saunders until the summer because it is then that I feel appointing Flynn now becomes a problem, whether we go up or not.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 13, 2013, 01:02:33 am by mrfrostsdad »
We had over 100 applicants because they didn't know when they applied there was no money to spend.
Do we KNOW Flynn was first choice? No we don't. JR will know. Will he tell us? No, of course not

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 13, 2013, 01:04:49 am by RoversAlias »
On that subject I'm almost certain Flynn was not first choice.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 13, 2013, 01:24:23 am by wilts rover »
Flynn was first choice, the players wanted him and the fans wanted him (or a large majority of the very vocal ones posting on here at the time did and have now developed amnesia about their choice). Whether he was the best choice that is very open to debate. However I dont see that we the fans have any choice now, we have to support him if we want the team to be successful for the rest of this season.

And for all the people who were laughing when the Blades had their bad run recently - look at yourselves now.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 13, 2013, 02:34:30 am by Akinfenwa »
The performance tonight was a shocker, for me, quite possibly the worst of the season.

Despite their cup exploits Milton Keynes are on their arse, they've won 2 out of the last 10, losing 6 and are currently 10 points away from a playoff place. They are also missing their best midfield player Gleeson and a goalscorer in Ryan Lowe. We couldn't have asked for a better time to play them really even if we de have a few injuries ourselves (another concern of mine).

Despite this Milton Keynes looked the more likely team to win it even though they were a bit toothless up front. We didn't test their keeper once, for that there is no excuse even with the players we had available. There was still enough quality out there throughout the team to at least create something of note. The reason why we made it to the top of the league in the first place was because even when the strikers were quiet we had a deadly/inventive set-piece or a flash of brilliance from out wide in our locker to edge a close game. Where has that gone? We still have the tools to do it yet the decline in the quality of our end product and set-pieces in the last three games has been alarming.

Also we still have the same back 4 playing now as we did a month ago yet they look like a shadow of the defence that made us so hard to beat. In the last three games they have been all over the place, seem to be getting caught a lot more often. As a team recently we have looked worryingly open, wasteful in attacking areas and at times clueless in possession.

People said that many of the performances under Saunders were bad to watch this season. Maybe they were in terms of exciting attacking play and the fact that it often wasn't pretty but at least you knew that, even if they didn't win, the team were solid, focused, wouldn't give much away, knew what they were doing and would be ruthless in front of goal given the opportunity. I've seen very little evidence of these qualities in the last three games which I find baffling given the appointment of Flynn for the purposes of continuation and a 'seamless transition', and Flynn's intention to and confidence of carrying this out.

The whole point of appointing Brian Flynn was for continuation because he knows Dean and supposedly already knew the team and how they operated. It seemed like an appointment that made sense from our point of view because we were under the impression that he knew exactly how to maintain the performance of the team that Deano left and wasn't intending to change much. He must've convinced the board that he was the right man to do this and win promotion. Why then has the team changed so much (mostly for worse) since before the two weeks break?

We've had a few 'bad days at the office' this season where we'd still have a game plan, do the basics but fail to perform and lose. These last three games don't feel like that at all, the basics seem to have deserted us which is why I'm particularly disappointed and concerned at present. I'm struggling to convince myself that we can still win promotion this season, I've not had this problem after previous setbacks. After the Orient game I thought we'd have a great chance.

Finally, I really hope that these concerns prove to be a overreaction on my part and Mr. Flynn addresses the issues and leads us to promotion. I'd like nothing more this season.

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 13, 2013, 04:55:06 am by Bald Rover »
My view for what its worth!

33.Gary Woods.....improving but his kicking was woeful again last night! anyone who asks why he kicks from the floor now you know!
02 Paul Quinn.....decent game looked solid enough
16 Jamie McCombe......couple of good blocks...not quick enough and made one howler that nearly cost us
05 Rob Jones.....was out muscled by Izale and when going forward has been marked out for three games now! motm!!! wasnt deserved!
14 Tommy Spurr.....solid game but always looks better going forward with Copps in front of him,,the Spurr Cotterill thing doesnt seem to click!
03 James Husband.....looks like he will be a good player...Izale tried to bully him early doors and he showed him he wouldnt take it (loved the step on his heel)
07 Martin Woods......wasnt Championship level and looked awful last night! missed passes awful tackling...and why oh why would you attempt a heel flick in the middle of the park when we are under pressure ! then 10 mins later puts a sublime ball into the box....time to step up and earn the wages I think!
19 Andy Griffin....sod defending Id take him over Harper every game got stuck in decent passing and even good footwork when in a tight spot...and he can shift! was close 2nd for man of the match for me!
11 David Cotterill....probably our most skilful player behind Copps but was missing for most of the game and looked off pace....we missed him!
08 Billy Paynter.... great hold up play....worked hard but isnt quick enough....missed a sitter because he wanted to bust the net rather than score...looked well p***ed when substituted which is good!
26 James Coppinger....my man of the match! worked hard and showed why he can still play at a higher level! was bullied a lot but kept going! closed down well and ripped a strip off Cotts when he didnt close down with him!

Subs.......
James Harper....hmmmmm was slightly better than V Walsall....mistake nearly gave away a goal....tackled more but every time he did I cringed because he seemed late and clumsy...played a few good moves going forward but I think he is definately an emergency back up!

Sinclair.......wow...maybe I can still make it even with this extra weight Im carrying lol this guy is awful! watched him pre math shooting other week and he hit the onion bag every time...put him in a game and its like bambion speed...to use a Gary Neville expression he looked like he was being controlled via remote by a 5 year old! please please take his shirt and sent him back!!

We are missing Humey for his energy and closing down which is putting pressure on a midfield that is weakened by the loss of Syers who has that bit of foresight to find a pass, Keegan was needed, his break up play and ability to do the nasty stuff is needed badly! and I think we wont miss Brown as much as we fear once Hume is back because Billy will feed off him and is a similar player and with Hume we also see Copps and Cotts getting more space.....

We stopped the rot, we are still in the mix, are we good enough......yes we are or we wouldnt be where we are, are we good enough to go up this year? theres no reason why not but the squad isnt deep enough to cope with the injuries we knew that from day one!

Fingers crossed !!

RTID!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 13, 2013, 09:37:47 am by wing commander »
   I agree with all of that apart from the main bit...Coppinger mom??? not for me he wasn't not even close....I'm not a big Copps fan i know but for what we are paying him since he's come back his performances are not good enough by a long long way...However we do seem to like to play him behind the striker which is not what he's best at....Coppinger is a fans favourite and i know my opinion of him is always in the minority but for me he just isn't consistent enough......

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 13, 2013, 10:23:24 am by goalkick »
Dire game last night.  Again nothing happening midfield.nothing to shout about on the bench.look at the subs we put on and the zero effect they had on the game.shows the lack of depth of strength in our squad.surely those at the helm can see what is going on.worried the die hard fans will get fed up especially with season ticket renewals due.please sort that midfield out :scarf:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 13, 2013, 10:42:49 am by hoolahoop »
   I agree with all of that apart from the main bit...Coppinger mom??? not for me he wasn't not even close....I'm not a big Copps fan i know but for what we are paying him since he's come back his performances are not good enough by a long long way...However we do seem to like to play him behind the striker which is not what he's best at....Coppinger is a fans favourite and i know my opinion of him is always in the minority but for me he just isn't consistent enough......

I'm with you regarding Copps last night and overall during his career with us......the consistency is just not there. Btw can I congratulate Bald Rover on his excellent analysis of both the game and the players performances (or should it be non-performances ?) last night.
We looked like a bunch of rabbits bobbing about and in the full glare of car headlamps. Give Sinclair his marching orders now urgently , quite clearly he has neither the aptitude nor attitude to wear the Hoops. :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:53:32 am by hoolahoop »

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 13, 2013, 10:50:17 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
We really need the loan striker in now in my opinion.  With Brown out for 4-6 weeks I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with Paynter leading the line.  Sinclair I just dont get and Blake never gets a look in.  Hume will be a big plus when he's back but he isnt a prolific scorer.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 13, 2013, 10:54:44 am by hoolahoop »
We really need the loan striker in now in my opinion.  With Brown out for 4-6 weeks I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with Paynter leading the line.  Sinclair I just dont get and Blake never gets a look in.  Hume will be a big plus when he's back but he isnt a prolific scorer.

A refreshed Syers will be the key too but by then it could be too late to turn the tide.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 13, 2013, 11:00:25 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

A refreshed Syers will be the key too but by then it could be too late to turn the tide.

You never know Hoola.  For me if before the Crawley game we can get;

1) A loan striker in
2) Hume fit
3) Syers fit

The lineup would have a whole different positive outlook to last night and we might start picking up some wins again.  Also add Keegan to that and we have a solid midfield again

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 13, 2013, 11:00:53 am by eastender »

Daniel Powell for them has always impressed me,big lad though
and seems to get a few niggley injuries,we've lost to worse than them earlier in the season,the team at the moment,is running a bit low on energy,due to having a small squad,a few signings might just give us that final push.

Danny Powell was the best player on the pitch by a country mile , non of our lads could get near him never mind mind tackle him.
Talking of tackles that last ditch block by Paul Quinn was a point saver and as good as a goal in it's value.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 13, 2013, 11:03:07 am by bobbymax »

Daniel Powell for them has always impressed me,big lad though
and seems to get a few niggley injuries,we've lost to worse than them earlier in the season,the team at the moment,is running a bit low on energy,due to having a small squad,a few signings might just give us that final push.

Danny Powell was the best player on the pitch by a country mile , non of our lads could get near him never mind mind tackle him.
Talking of tackles that last ditch block by Paul Quinn was a point saver and as good as a goal in it's value.
Said elsewhere, Quinn has improved greatly since the turn of the year and is now one our more important players.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 13, 2013, 06:49:19 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Agree with much of what's been said as regards the managerial performance.  Ok, he's got an injury problem more severe than anything Saunders had this season and last night's performance has to be put into some kind of context, but to play Husband in midfeld when he had Fowler as an option, I just don't get it.

Listening to Brian Flynn's interviews, I have to say leaves me cold...  it doesn't always follow that good managers will give good interviews but, but he really sounds to me like he's struggling to form his thoughts when faced with the questions and just makes stuff up that he thinks people want to hear.  Then, just picking up on the line that part of the reason for appointing him was he was favoured by the players... judging by his body language and indeed words in an interview on player, Fowler seemed extremely reluctant to 'big up' Flynn in spite of the interviewer's best cringeworhty efforts.

So back to last night, I thought it was so bad I'd have been seriously thinking of bringing Bennett on.

Now, I don't know what the 'Danger signs' were that he saw on Saturday but his changes hardly seemed to improve things.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 13, 2013, 07:18:51 pm by hoolahoop »
Agree with much of what's been said as regards the managerial performance.  Ok, he's got an injury problem more severe than anything Saunders had this season and last night's performance has to be put into some kind of context, but to play Husband in midfeld when he had Fowler as an option, I just don't get it.

Listening to Brian Flynn's interviews, I have to say leaves me cold...  it doesn't always follow that good managers will give good interviews but, but he really sounds to me like he's struggling to form his thoughts when faced with the questions and just makes stuff up that he thinks people want to hear.  Then, just picking up on the line that part of the reason for appointing him was he was favoured by the players... judging by his body language and indeed words in an interview on player, Fowler seemed extremely reluctant to 'big up' Flynn in spite of the interviewer's best cringeworhty efforts.

So back to last night, I thought it was so bad I'd have been seriously thinking of bringing Bennett on.

ngNow, I don't know what the 'Danger signs' were that he saw on Saturday but his changes hardly seemed to improve this.

Nah he looked at the ticking time bomb and decided to sit on it.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 13, 2013, 08:00:22 pm by Lesonthewest »
The performance tonight was a shocker, for me, quite possibly the worst of the season.

Despite their cup exploits Milton Keynes are on their arse, they've won 2 out of the last 10, losing 6 and are currently 10 points away from a playoff place. They are also missing their best midfield player Gleeson and a goalscorer in Ryan Lowe. We couldn't have asked for a better time to play them really even if we de have a few injuries ourselves (another concern of mine).

Despite this Milton Keynes looked the more likely team to win it even though they were a bit toothless up front. We didn't test their keeper once, for that there is no excuse even with the players we had available. There was still enough quality out there throughout the team to at least create something of note. The reason why we made it to the top of the league in the first place was because even when the strikers were quiet we had a deadly/inventive set-piece or a flash of brilliance from out wide in our locker to edge a close game. Where has that gone? We still have the tools to do it yet the decline in the quality of our end product and set-pieces in the last three games has been alarming.

Also we still have the same back 4 playing now as we did a month ago yet they look like a shadow of the defence that made us so hard to beat. In the last three games they have been all over the place, seem to be getting caught a lot more often. As a team recently we have looked worryingly open, wasteful in attacking areas and at times clueless in possession.

People said that many of the performances under Saunders were bad to watch this season. Maybe they were in terms of exciting attacking play and the fact that it often wasn't pretty but at least you knew that, even if they didn't win, the team were solid, focused, wouldn't give much away, knew what they were doing and would be ruthless in front of goal given the opportunity. I've seen very little evidence of these qualities in the last three games which I find baffling given the appointment of Flynn for the purposes of continuation and a 'seamless transition', and Flynn's intention to and confidence of carrying this out.

The whole point of appointing Brian Flynn was for continuation because he knows Dean and supposedly already knew the team and how they operated. It seemed like an appointment that made sense from our point of view because we were under the impression that he knew exactly how to maintain the performance of the team that Deano left and wasn't intending to change much. He must've convinced the board that he was the right man to do this and win promotion. Why then has the team changed so much (mostly for worse) since before the two weeks break?

We've had a few 'bad days at the office' this season where we'd still have a game plan, do the basics but fail to perform and lose. These last three games don't feel like that at all, the basics seem to have deserted us which is why I'm particularly disappointed and concerned at present. I'm struggling to convince myself that we can still win promotion this season, I've not had this problem after previous setbacks. After the Orient game I thought we'd have a great chance.

Finally, I really hope that these concerns prove to be a overreaction on my part and Mr. Flynn addresses the issues and leads us to promotion. I'd like nothing more this season.

Top post & one I agree with entirely.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 14, 2013, 08:45:25 am by drfcsteve »
How anyone can say they didn't think Copps had a good game last night is beyond me. He was the only one that was bothered to attack, he chased everything down and ran his socks off the whole game, shame we can't say that about any of the others.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012