Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:25:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The away end  (Read 3094 times)

eastender

• VSC Member
The away end
« on February 14, 2013, 07:16:57 pm by eastender »
I posted this Last April after I'd heard a rumour.

Re: What rumours have you heard then?
 April 10, 2012, 10:07:22 AM by eastender

As anybody heard the one about the away end being Mothballed next season ?.

Apparently they're going to put the away fans in the East stand like they did at the Leeds game.

If this is true then i will probably be getting a phone call in a month or two asking me to move seats , i will keep you posted. 

on June 01, 2012, 03:16:55 PM by silent majority
The club are not closing the North Stand, it would cost more money to do that.

Well it's taken time but it seems my rumour was right judging by the last 2 games.
It obviously doesn't cost that much to close the North Stand , and the club have done it sneakily and have waited for those who were disrupted to settle into their new seats.  :( IRWT

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:48:26 pm by eastender »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
Re: The away end
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2013, 07:45:58 pm by donnievic »
Like how you wait till we are losing games before you spout up moaning,off course it makes more sense in doing that especially if away fans are only bringing 200-300 at most and if we got bigger crowds they would maybe put home fans in there

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2013, 07:51:07 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
Like how you wait till we are losing games before you spout up moaning,off course it makes more sense in doing that especially if away fans are only bringing 200-300 at most and if we got bigger crowds they would maybe put home fans in there

So you expected him to moan about this while it wasn't happening?  :laugh:

The people moaning about people moaning are much worse ffs.

eastender... Have you had to move seats? Think it's a bit unfair if they never mentioned it to you before you purchased your ST. It was obvious it was going to be a smart move at some point, due to low numbers.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2013, 07:51:32 pm by wilts rover »
How was it done sneakily, it was announced on here and we were told when we got the phone call that we were being asked to move to accomodate away fans in the east stand. I got a better seat and I suspect you did to.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2013, 07:53:38 pm by donnievic »

eastender... Have you had to move seats? Think it's a bit unfair if they never mentioned it to you before you purchased your ST. It was obvious it was going to be a smart move at some point, due to low numbers.

Well we did it earlier in the season when we played Bradford P Av. pherhaps could of brought it up then

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2013, 07:56:23 pm by Belle Vue Popside »

Well we did it earlier in the season when we played Bradford P Av. pherhaps could of brought it up then

That was a cup game so it wouldn't have affected him/her or their season ticket.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2013, 08:20:34 pm by eastender »

Wilts Rover, i don't recall it ever being announced on here or any where else as a matter of fact.
Like SM say's in his reply the club said they weren't closing the North stand .
When the club contacted me  they never told me it was because they wanted to house the away fans in the East stand. (I'd already heard the rumour though ,so expected it)
and course it makes financial sense , which we understand , but why not come clean straight away and say that .
Donnievic , Like BVP said i haven't waited until were losing , I've waited until it's become apparent what's happening .  :)
BVP, I purchased my ST in FEB and  nothing was said then, probably because nothing had been decided  by then.
The rumour i heard was in April.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:49:46 pm by eastender »

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2013, 08:39:12 pm by Muttley »
The reason they gave when they phoned me was "to save money on stewarding" but they definitely said there was no intention to put away fans there. Don't see a problem with it though.

The girl in the ticket office said I could pick any seat in the stadium I wanted...she quickly backtracked when I asked for one in the dugout or JR's box :-)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2013, 09:15:34 pm by Mr1Croft »
Firstly Eastender it was mentioned on here as several ST holders came on to say that the club had rung them to ask them to move seats (and if my memory is correct they were offered a free upgrade to Cat A seats).

Last April the rumor was just that, at that time there was no intention to put the away fans in the East stand and it makes sense, firstly it limits the number of initial allocation and secondly it might not help sell the Corporate Boxes knowing that you will be sat directly above the away fans, also (because of the boxes) the East stand is the smallest in number of rows.

The reason given for why the North Stand would be closed this season in the rumor was because it would fail its safety certificate, tell you all you need to know about the substance to the rumor really

The club had no idea how poor the away support would be in this league, and my guess is that after our initial games the club decided that actually moving the away fans to the East Stand may not be such a bad idea after all, and it is also my suspicion that the club trialed it at the BPA game and it has been done for the last two games as well.

But, can I say Eastender, apart from being able to say that "I told you so", I'm struggling to see a point in your thread...

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2013, 09:29:19 pm by eastender »
Firstly Eastender it was mentioned on here as several ST holders came on to say that the club had rung them to ask them to move seats (and if my memory is correct they were offered a free upgrade to Cat A seats).

I know it was mentioned on here about the club contacting people...it was me that mentioned it in a post  on the 1st of june...It wasn't mentioned by the club anywhere.

on June 01, 2012, 12:55:12 PM by eastender

Quote from: eastender on April 10, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
As anybody heard the one about the away end being Mothballed next season ?.

Apparently they're going to put the away fans in the East stand like they did at the Leeds game.

If this is true then i will probably be getting a phone call in a month or two asking me to move seats , i will keep you posted.

I posted this on the 10th April ....... and guess what I've just had a phone call from the ticket office telling me that i have to move as they are closing that block down, no explanation why.

Read what you  want into that , but it sounds  like i was right and the away fans will indeed be in the East stand  next season , so much for the atmosphere .
 Though it does make economical sense  as far as the club are concerned as they will save a lot of money by closing the North stand.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2013, 09:40:09 pm by Mr1Croft »
Well, as said previously Eastender it was just a rumor back then and there wasn't any  plans to do as the rumor suggested. It has just happened that we have been getting poor away support coming here and it makes much more sense to move the fans into the East.

But it is fairly obvious how the rumor comes about: Firstly the wall is built up before Leeds game to put Leeds fans in East stand. People then get phone calls about being asked to move ST's without a reason, putting 2 and 2 together and its simple to guess that they might be putting the away fans there. If you had predicted the club would do this you would be right. But it was a rumor and one that has taken 16 games of a 23 game season to come true. However I don't think the away fans will stay in that section all season unless we continue to get small numbers...

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 14, 2013, 09:47:10 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
What is a "rumor"?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 14, 2013, 09:53:55 pm by Mr1Croft »
My browser's pathetic attempt at auto correct!

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2013, 09:58:24 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
My browser's pathetic attempt at auto correct!

Damn you Croft and your lazy American spellings... :)

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2013, 07:36:02 am by eastender »
. The club had no idea how poor the away support would be in this league, and my guess is that after our initial games the club decided that actually moving the away fans to the East Stand may not be such a bad idea after all, and it is also my suspicion that the club trialed it at the BPA game and it has been done for the last two games as well.

Come on Crofty  how naive , of course the club would have had an idea of the level of away support in this league.
We've  played 35  league 1 games at the Keepmoat  prior to this season. (2006/7 & 2007/8).
There was only ever going to be 2 or 3 occasions where the initial allocation would be exceeded and probably only Sheff Utd would have taken up the full amount.
The likes of Scunny could have been accommodated by moving the Black meshing round onto the North Stand as required.

Firstly the wall is built up before Leeds game to put Leeds fans in East stand. People then get phone calls about being asked to move ST's without a reason, putting 2 and 2 together and its simple to guess that they might be putting the away fans there.

As said previously in this thread the rumour started in April (my post 10th April) the phone calls to relocate started in June (my post 1st June)
So it's not a case of people putting 2 and 2 together.

But, can I say Eastender, apart from being able to say that "I told you so", I'm struggling to see a point in your thread...

Of course your struggling to see a point to the thread....that's mainly because you weren't affected up in the South West corner.
The point is IMO i think the club knew exactly what they were doing because they knew the stadium would be under their control sooner or later and wanted to be prepared to start cutting costs.

P.S. I told you so.  :)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2013, 07:54:45 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I don't like it, prefer them behind the goal, but at the end of the day is it really that big an issue?

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2013, 08:01:11 am by DaveDRFC »
Quite a few teams have moved away fans to the sides as apparently it takes away the psychological advantage of shooting towards your own fans. Clearly we've done it for cost reasons but might work out in our favour, if you believe in that sort of thing.

If we're not going to use the North Stand maybe we could get some of the big flags placed there permanently?

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2013, 08:16:23 am by Mr1Croft »

Come on Crofty  how naive , of course the club would have had an idea of the level of away support in this league.
We've  played 35  league 1 games at the Keepmoat  prior to this season. (2006/7 & 2007/8).
There was only ever going to be 2 or 3 occasions where the initial allocation would be exceeded and probably only Sheff Utd would have taken up the full amount.
The likes of Scunny could have been accommodated by moving the Black meshing round onto the North Stand as required.

I disagree, how many league games we have played in league one in the KMS is irrelevant, in the 07/08 season the away support was actually pretty impressive and it has reduced in our 4 year absence. There was only really a handful of teams that brought as few to be accommodated in the East Stand. Besides when you posted your rumour there was still a chance (slim at best) of us staying in the Championship and in which case the away fans would not have been moved.

Quote from: Eastender

Of course your struggling to see a point to the thread....that's mainly because you weren't affected up in the South West corner.
The point is IMO i think the club knew exactly what they were doing because they knew the stadium would be under their control sooner or later and wanted to be prepared to start cutting costs.

P.S. I told you so.  :)

I don't sit in the South West Corner, and only ever have for one game which was last week's England game. I sit directly in the middle of the South Stand, but it has still affected me. Because for every game this season (bar the last two) I have entered the ground early to put the big JR flag up in the closed section of the East Stand, with the away beings moved in the last couple of games I have had to carry the thing to the North Stand and because of the meshing I have to put it up over the stairs and then after the game having to wait for the players to go down the tunnel before I can walk up to the North Stand to take it down and then walk back to the South East corner to put it away. I'm usually the last to leave the stadium, on more than one occasion the flood lights have been turned off before I leave, I don't have anything to rush off for and not moaning, but moving the away fans has added an extra 5 minutes I could really do without.

Yes its a cost cutting exercise but one that has only came about halfway through this season, if the rumour was true in April do you think the club would have waited 9 months untill we are over half way into the home games before actually moving them?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2013, 10:33:35 am by DearneValleyRover »
Could we not trial having the North Stand open as a pay on the gate unreserved seating, stand if you want to game but not sell any other tickets in the home end, in other words if you haven't got a ticket by Friday that's the only place you can go. Think it would do well if advertised and get an atmosphere at that end of the ground, no different than Carrow Road then.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2013, 12:21:04 pm by RobTheRover »
The stand hasnt been closed as such.  It will be used for away fans if the demand is there, as we saw v Sheff Utd.  When the opposition bring a couple of hundred (or less) it saves the club a fortune by putting them in the east stand.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2013, 12:23:57 pm by MrFrost »
The stand hasnt been closed as such.  It will be used for away fans if the demand is there, as we saw v Sheff Utd.  When the opposition bring a couple of hundred (or less) it saves the club a fortune by putting them in the east stand.

I think the question is why it has only been the case in the last couple of days.
Surely the number of stewards and catering staff will be the same where ever they put the away fans?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2013, 12:26:36 pm by DRNaith »
Nah, one deep fat frier heated up instead of two surely?  ;)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2013, 12:38:27 pm by hoolahoop »
I don't like it, prefer them behind the goal, but at the end of the day is it really that big an issue?

No it's NOT a big issue unless you choose to make it one. I would prefer that the club can make as many savings as possible and if that means temporarily 'mothballing' the North Stand then so be it.
The money would be better spent on the team and it isn't as if there is a poor view in any part of the stadium.
There are subjects that some of us have cause to moan about ...........this simply is NOT one of those.  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012