Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:33:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Heffernan  (Read 3999 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Paul Heffernan
« on February 16, 2013, 04:34:42 pm by MrFrost »
On fire today with a hat trick.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Heffernan
« Reply #1 on February 16, 2013, 04:38:35 pm by grayx »
On fire today with a hat trick.

Think this is a reflection of the standard of scottish football to be honest. However, hed probably get in our side at the moment.

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 16, 2013, 04:39:20 pm by Katesby »
Cue pathetic pleas for him to come back...

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 16, 2013, 04:39:42 pm by Barmby Rover »
Better than any one of our strikers, just a pity he fell out with SOD.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 16, 2013, 04:41:14 pm by andysly »
Don't agree he's better than what we've got but could certainly do a job alongside either Brown or Paynter

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 16, 2013, 04:41:22 pm by MrFrost »

Agree with that.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 16, 2013, 04:43:49 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Sign him up  :)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 16, 2013, 05:10:19 pm by dickos1 »
Nowhere near good enough anymore. Sinclair would get hat tricks every week in that league

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 16, 2013, 05:14:17 pm by hoolahoop »

I don't agree either , imo he wouldn't make the 1st team as much as I loved him. Every time he scores virtually we have calls for him to come back or that he is better than we already have.
We could have RVP up front and still there would be these posts.  :headbang:

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 16, 2013, 05:20:11 pm by Bald Rover »
Wasnt Shiels top scorer in the same league not long ago........ must be a tough league??? I think Heffs was at his peak when we were at Belle Vue time to let him go! Ps Fairhurst scored today as did Hayter and Webster so it was a good dau for the old guard ! Maybe too quick to let Hayts and Webster go, I still remember Scumny away looking at big bird and thinking yeah he looked ok.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 16, 2013, 05:27:11 pm by mrfrostsdad »
IMO Heffs is the 2nd best 'striker' we've had in the last several years, Sharpy being the best obviously. He had a good record with us and his goals in the first season in he championship kept us up. Shame he didn't play before Christmas that year

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 16, 2013, 05:30:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wasnt Shiels top scorer in the same league not long ago........ must be a tough league??? I think Heffs was at his peak when we were at Belle Vue time to let him go! Ps Fairhurst scored today as did Hayter and Webster so it was a good dau for the old guard ! Maybe too quick to let Hayts and Webster go, I still remember Scumny away looking at big bird and thinking yeah he looked ok.

Personally, I'd say Heffernan was at his peak when he scored 10 goals in 18 starts and saved our first season in the Championship when we were looking like Findus lasagne filling. But that seems to have been wiped from our history.

Controversial of course, but I still say the seeds of O'Driscoll's fall came when he insisted that a perfectly competent Championship forward had to be discarded and replaced by a player so expensive that we ended up being unable to afforda goalkeeper or centre half remotely up to Championship standard.

I'll never quite fathom that decision.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 16, 2013, 05:36:21 pm by MachoMadness »
Quality player. Kept us up almost single handedly first season in the Championship, you never know what might have been if SO'D hadn't stubbornly refused to play him until Christmas. One of the best players I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt at seeming to do nothing, then popping up in a yard of space you didn't even know was there to stick the ball in the net. He would absolutely still do a job at this level I reckon.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 16, 2013, 05:41:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
MM

That skill of Heffernan's, the ability to find a yard of space between the centre halves in a crowded box is priceless. I've never seen a Rovers striker with a better instinct for where the space is. Some folk interpret that as him doing nowt and the rest of the tea serving him up sitters to tuck away. Aye, reight.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 16, 2013, 06:14:04 pm by Drover »
Nowhere near good enough anymore. Sinclair would get hat tricks every week in that league

Not if he plays the same way he has for us.Not saying he has'nt the ability,but he just seems he's not giving 100% for us for whatever reason.Saunders would not have put up with it for long,then again he may have upped his game if saunders had not left.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 16, 2013, 06:24:33 pm by RoversAlias »
Fairhurst's scored a few lately, glad he's finally starting to get it done somewhere.

I disagree that Heffernan is as good as Hume or Paynter btw. Heffs was great for us but the time has passed, I don't think his departure was a bad decision at all.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 16, 2013, 06:27:55 pm by MrFrost »
Fairhurst's scored a few lately, glad he's finally starting to get it done somewhere.

I disagree that Heffernan is as good as Hume or Paynter btw. Heffs was great for us but the time has passed, I don't think his departure was a bad decision at all.

He wasn't given a chance the season after keeping us up!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 16, 2013, 06:30:33 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Paynter is nowhere near as good as Heffs. And he's more of a target man than a striker. I like Hume, but I think he plays best in behind the front man, so again not an out and out striker.
Heffs would walk in to our team at the moment.
IMO obviously.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 16, 2013, 08:26:57 pm by The L J Monk »
Tickets are to MrFrost as Paul Heffernan is to BST.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 16, 2013, 08:40:17 pm by hoolahoop »
Tickets are to MrFrost as Paul Heffernan is to BST.

Now that was funny :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 16, 2013, 08:54:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Are you suggesting I go on a bit on this subject?!?

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 16, 2013, 10:32:43 pm by MR A-Z »
Always liked heffs, regardless of fall outs, private life or whatever. He was always a fans favorite and was always there a split second before the defenders, timing was insatiable. Wouldn't mind him back but I'm a bit too sentimental for my own good, I'd have Steve foster in the side, a lower league woodgate without injuries.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 16, 2013, 11:09:29 pm by dickos1 »

Not if he plays the same way he has for us.Not saying he has'nt the ability,but he just seems he's not giving 100% for us for whatever reason.Saunders would not have put up with it for long,then again he may have upped his game if saunders had not left.

I agree Sinclair hasn't showed much, but the point I'm making is the Scottish league is w**k, look at some of the strikers in there, rowan vine even gets a goal.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 16, 2013, 11:25:19 pm by hoolahoop »
Are you suggesting I go on a bit on this subject?!?

Yep and with good reason ; he was a fine striker for us. However I would put Kitch in my team before him too and going back further I'm sure there are still some around that would vouch for Tindill amongst others.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 17, 2013, 01:33:59 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He had a good instinct in the box for sniffing out a chance,if it came he usually finished it,decent link up player,seemed to prefer a partner up front,whereas Sean seemed to like the one up top in the championship most times,there was some vindictiveness in him not being able to get in the side,but some of it was because he wasn't the best up on his own,he wasn't the quickest either,Billy Sharp loved it up front on his own,only behind Billy for his finishing in my opinion.

He would score goals at this level no problem,his attitude didn't seem the best maybe,that's what cost him his Rovers career.

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 17, 2013, 01:39:06 am by MR A-Z »
I would like to know the true reason rather than rumour, cos even link up play he could do, in that first season I remember fans ringing sky sports asking for him to be in the ROI team based on our performances. And he ran his b*llocks off for the team in that slow idiotic run with his elbows too high but hey he put the effort in. Always thought he should've stayed but SO'D knew best.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 17, 2013, 01:43:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It did seem to be a fall out A-Z,doesn't really matter now though,they've both moved on,a nice things for me is if it was announced Hume was signing permanent with us,at the end of the season,we should have got it done before Westley went.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 18, 2013, 12:30:12 pm by normal rules »
i dont think the relationship between sod and heffs was the same since the headbutting incident at southend.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012