Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:31:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Radio Sheffield fans  (Read 4883 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Radio Sheffield fans
« Reply #30 on March 10, 2013, 04:31:10 am by RoversAlias »
I get that - would we rather have a promotion every 2, 3 or 4 years and the excitement of a great season every other time, or 10+ seasons of mid table mediocrity?

Give me 10+ seasons of being in the top league in the world, regularly locking horns with Man Utd and Liverpool and being delighted to come 14th any day. It is the pinnacle of football and unchartere waters for a club like ours.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 10, 2013, 06:06:40 am by PDX_Rover »
Some great posts on here. Look at it in this way. Remove the fancy dan names and we've got a chance to go into the old Division 2. Like many on here, Rovers is a labour of love, for years we did yo-yo between Division 3 and Division 4 through the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's. We had a really good squad under Billy Bremner and one season, we were in contention for promotion to Division 2. We apparently had the chance to sign Trevor Senior for 100k from Reading, and didn't, and he might have been the signing that got us promoted - we'll never know.

The great thing about our league is that it's huge, compared to other leagues. No team has a divine right to be in any position. Sure, you've probably got 6 or 7 Premier League teams who will never be relegated, but other than that, it's all fair game. So called 'big' teams can fall from grace. Look at Coventry, Forest, Blackburn, Bolton, both Sheffield Teams, Derby, Leeds right now. All former staples to a degree in the top flight.

And look at Fulham, Wigan, Swansea, Sunderland - all teams we've played, some regularly, in the lower leagues. Given the right set up, it is possible. We have very wealthy benefactors who, if they desired, I imagine could get us to the top tier. We have made stellar progress in the last decade, both on and off the field. It's been a great ride. Even last season happened for a reason. I think as a club, and with Gavin Baldwin, we've come out of that better for it, in my view. I feel that, we have a decent set-up to really establish ourselves as a Championship side, and kick on from there if the desire is there.

Let's face it... If someone had told me after last season that on March 9 2013, we'd be top of League 1, with what is more or less a new team, and having to change manager mid-season, I'd have asked for a quarter of what you'd been smoking.

I have no idea what the Summer will bring in terms of changes should we be promoted, I am sure it will be carefully considered. The team is in place now with Gavin etc to make the operational side tick.

Trust me, I loved the old days at OBV. It's ingrained in me. But, i think where the club is now is in a very good place. We've cut our cloth somewhat and here we are: Top of the league with nine games to go.

I don't care about Radio Sheffield, Look North etc. Bugger them.

Happy Days.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 10, 2013, 07:16:34 am by FuzzyDuck »
This thread's an interesting read but it does show that some concentrate on the negatives.  The positives:

We had 4 seasons in the championship, 2 of them were very good.

When it went wrong, we know why it went wrong.  We should have learned.

Money becomes more important up there.  The commercial side of the club now has motivation and energy.  We think big commercially, not like a conference outfit as when we were in the championship last time.

Like many, I want the impossible dream.  I want Donny to have a 50000 stadium which they sell out every week.  To get there, we need to play more football in higher leagues as that is the only way we attract a bigger fan base and commercial sponsors prepared to put money in.  Yo-yo-ing would be a step towards that but I'd still be disappointed with that, simply because you have to stay disappointed until you get what you really want.

People who don't want promotion?  I'm not saying they're not true fans, but what I would say is their "ooh I'm scared this might happen again" would stop progress of anything in its tracks.  Can you imagine the lack of progress the human race would have made if people hasn't tried things, got them wrong and then given it another go?

To the championship and beyond!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 10, 2013, 08:22:51 am by not on facebook »
After reading This Thread Its understandable that rovers look upto teams like fulham Wigan swansea and Blackpool,due to fact that they have Been in the prem or are still in it.

All them teams were on the fixture list against rovers in the lower leagues.

You can bet Your last dollar that many a team below rovers Will be looking upto to our Club and wish they can end up like us.

From conference to championship,which did the protocall Of DRFC no end Of good and long May it last.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012