Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:20:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Glanford Park Moments  (Read 3285 times)

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
Glanford Park Moments
« on March 21, 2013, 03:01:52 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
With the big derby coming up at the weekend and the Rovers fans in great mood (well most of us), what has been your favourite memory of any trip you have made to Glanford Park?

I was only a young wipper-snapper when Micky Norbury scored a hat-trick there in a 5-0 win and have only seen the goals by video/youtube.  Really wish I could have been there to see it in the flesh. 

My personal favourite was the last minute Graeme Lee winner in 2006 (I think).  I remember taking a video of it on my phone just in case we scored haha.  What great timing!  A corner came in, got headed out, then WACK!!  Absolute carnage  :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Glanford Park Moments
« Reply #1 on March 21, 2013, 03:07:22 pm by GazLaz »
I remember the Lee goal. From outside the box wasn't it?

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 21, 2013, 03:08:02 pm by RedArmy »
The Graeme Lee winner was class, but the leo goal too make it 2-2 in 2004 wow, how that felt like 3 points that day.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 21, 2013, 03:08:24 pm by VivaRovers »
Coming back to draw 2-2 with 10 men in 2004 will take some beating for me. In celebrating Leo's equaliser I wound up three rows in front of where I'd been sat with a good dozen mates on top of me.

That said, the pre-season friendly played there when we were in the Conference was more than a little feisty. I took an elbow to the face celebrating a goal at that one.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 21, 2013, 03:10:03 pm by RedArmy »
Coming back to draw 2-2 with 10 men in 2004 will take some beating for me. In celebrating Leo's equaliser I wound up three rows in front of where I'd been sat with a good dozen mates on top of me.

That said, the pre-season friendly played there when we were in the Conference was more than a little feisty. I took an elbow to the face celebrating a goal at that one.

I'm still celebrating leo's goal now..

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 21, 2013, 03:10:28 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I remember the Lee goal. From outside the box wasn't it?

Thats the one GazLaz

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 21, 2013, 03:12:52 pm by GazLaz »
Glanford Park is probably the away ground I've been to more than any other.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 21, 2013, 03:14:44 pm by MrFrost »

Remember a large section of seats being smashed in that friendly.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 21, 2013, 03:24:42 pm by 1879Rovers »
5-0, it doesn't get better than that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 21, 2013, 03:46:14 pm by Filo »
Billy Sharps first ever goal for Rovers

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 21, 2013, 03:49:42 pm by Nudga »
It's got to be when 2k rovers fans wore santa hats around a december game back in the early 90s. Might have been THE Kieran Brady goal.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 21, 2013, 03:54:09 pm by donnievic »
Oh what a goal that was

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 21, 2013, 04:07:43 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Im taking it that moments can also be bad? What about the shocking display when SOD had just taken over. Who would of known from that game that we would go on to be promoted to the 2nd tier, lift the JPT and be nicknamed Arsenal of the North

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 21, 2013, 04:39:28 pm by 1879Rovers »
We have only lost once their in eleven visits (I was there). Put that one down to a shocking display from up and coming referee David Elleray!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 21, 2013, 04:58:09 pm by mushRTID »
The Lee, sharp and Leo goals were all amazing moments. For some reason I go a little bit more mental when we score at Scunny.

My only bad experience there was the horror 2-0 defeat in one of sods first games. And I was sat on the front chuffing row. Saturday, our tickets are on the front row....hope it's not an omen!

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 21, 2013, 05:02:29 pm by moses »
It probably says more about me, than the game, but Leo's goal to make it 2-2 was in 2004!!!!
Was that the one in injury time?
Nine years ago. I am getting old and my life is flashing by.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 21, 2013, 05:30:13 pm by RoversAlias »
Billy Sharps first ever goal for Rovers

This. Will never forget that one and how mental we all went.

I will say it again. I love going to Glanford Park to watch the Rovers.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 21, 2013, 05:31:08 pm by CJK »
The 5-0 game was the first away match that my Dad took me too, what a starting berth that was! Even more memorable that I went on to the pitch at half time to take a penalty against Scunny Bunny and put it away in the bottom corner, funny that, because I was young I remember the penalty experience more than any of the five goals Rovers scored!

For me the Graeme Lee goal stands out, a last minute winner to take a derby is always good, sat on the front row as well so celebrated with the players!

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 21, 2013, 06:12:34 pm by afro goal machine »
That Leo goal !
Also was it a macca penalty ? Started the game sat down I think near one of the corners then found myself with the majority all rammed stood up behind the goal. I could almost touch Leo when he headed in !

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 21, 2013, 06:38:06 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Would love to see the highlights from the division 3 game

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 21, 2013, 06:52:20 pm by RedArmy »
That Leo goal !
Also was it a macca penalty ? Started the game sat down I think near one of the corners then found myself with the majority all rammed stood up behind the goal. I could almost touch Leo when he headed in !

Met 3 new mates that day due to that goal!

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 21, 2013, 07:06:03 pm by Crowle Rover »

5-0 in 95 was a personal highlight. Same night I went to see L7 at the Leadmill in Sheffield and had my car nicked!
Was located by the police in those flats that overlook the railway station. Had to drive it back to Crowle after having the cops hot wire it for me. Eventful weekend that!

Also the 2-2 Leo last minute goal,the Lee last minute winner and Billys first goal for the club.

Bad memories too.
1990 last day of the season and losing 4-0 and I seem to recall that was the half time score.
1992 August losing 3-2 Tommy Tynan scoring (possibly only Rovers goal of his career?)
The 2-0 defeat in one of SODs first games when he went on radio saying it was "Only another match"
2-2 draw after we'd been 2 up and they got a last minute penalty.

Here's to 3 points on Saturday!!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 21, 2013, 07:31:57 pm by RobTheRover »
The 3-1 in 1993.  We were proper p!ssed, and the Rovers were bang up for it.  A fine display with David Roche driving a 30 yarder in the top corner. 

In our drunken over-exuberance at a fine away victory we decided we were going on the pitch at the end, to celebrate with the players.  The only problem was that this was still in the days of the fences round the pitch, and the post-Hillsborough reforms werent in place.  So we wobbled up to this nice lady steward on the gate in the fence and said to her "Hey love, we're going on the pitch to see the players", and she says "No, you arent".  "Yes we are", we say, "so you can either open the gate, or we'll climb the fence".  She thought about it for a moment, probably didnt fancy seeing any of us fall to our deaths from that fence, and opened the gate.

Jamie Lawrence got told 3 drunken 23 year old's loved him, that day.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 21, 2013, 08:39:03 pm by roversdude »
Leo's goal was immense, the sending off however defined our season - thought he was our weak link and in getting sent off we went for Mulligan

Overall the 5-0 wins everytime

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 21, 2013, 09:45:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Was at the 5-0 and the 3-1 and the Kieron Brady goal match and the Leo goal match. But the one that stands out for me is the last match of 89-90. We'd been hash for three years and we got arseholed 4-1 that day. But Bremner was putting a side if rare power, skill and determination together. Jones, Muir, Gormley, Brevett, Raven,  etc. it was coming together. We finished 4th bottom that day but you just knew something was bubbling up for the next season.

1500 of us stayed after the match chanting Bremner's names until he finally came out of the changing room and onto the pitch to salute us. It was electric.

Even though we had Italian 90 and England so nearly winning the World Cup, I've never in my life wished a close season to go so quickly.

And then absolutely obliterating the first 5 league opponents the next season made it seem like we had called it right. If only Jones and Muir hadn't had such fragile neck/ankle.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 21, 2013, 10:24:07 pm by roversdude »
Baseball bat 1 jones neck nil

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 21, 2013, 11:42:50 pm by bobjimwilly »
The 3-1 in 1993.  We were proper p!ssed, and the Rovers were bang up for it.  A fine display with David Roche driving a 30 yarder in the top corner. 

In our drunken over-exuberance at a fine away victory we decided we were going on the pitch at the end, to celebrate with the players.  The only problem was that this was still in the days of the fences round the pitch, and the post-Hillsborough reforms werent in place.  So we wobbled up to this nice lady steward on the gate in the fence and said to her "Hey love, we're going on the pitch to see the players", and she says "No, you arent".  "Yes we are", we say, "so you can either open the gate, or we'll climb the fence".  She thought about it for a moment, probably didnt fancy seeing any of us fall to our deaths from that fence, and opened the gate.

Jamie Lawrence got told 3 drunken 23 year old's loved him, that day.

give over Rob, you were older than 23 in 1993! ;)

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 22, 2013, 12:21:20 am by donnievic »
Was at the 5-0 and the 3-1 and the Kieron Brady goal match and the Leo goal match. But the one that stands out for me is the last match of 89-90. We'd been hash for three years and we got arseholed 4-1 that day. But Bremner was putting a side if rare power, skill and determination together. Jones, Muir, Gormley, Brevett, Raven,  etc. it was coming together. We finished 4th bottom that day but you just knew something was bubbling up for the next season.

1500 of us stayed after the match chanting Bremner's names until he finally came out of the changing room and onto the pitch to salute us. It was electric.

Even though we had Italian 90 and England so nearly winning the World Cup, I've never in my life wished a close season to go so quickly.

And then absolutely obliterating the first 5 league opponents the next season made it seem like we had called it right. If only Jones and Muir hadn't had such fragile neck/ankle.
think it was grant morrow maybe scored for us that day,think been to them all since late 80s with sum good ones with that 4-1 and 2-0 defeat under SOD being the worse

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 22, 2013, 06:10:04 am by not on facebook »
Recall the old scunny ground and the memory was not for the quality or not thr quality Of the game

But for the colour Of rovers kit that day

Shirts.....yellow
Shorts.....chocolate Brown
Stockings..yellow

It did not just look right
S

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 22, 2013, 07:54:12 am by Capmeister »
The Lee, sharp and Leo goals were all amazing moments. For some reason I go a little bit more mental when we score at Scunny.

My only bad experience there was the horror 2-0 defeat in one of sods first games. And I was sat on the front chuffing row. Saturday, our tickets are on the front row....hope it's not an omen!

O'Driscoll was being touted for the sack following the 2-0 reverse. Can't remember the exact detail but he made a switch at full back which caused our downfall. I remember going on radio dee-dah as the only one supporting SOD. Dean Barrick was on punditing. Probably the only thing I ever got right!!!!!!!! ;o)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012