Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:43:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sean O'Driscoll  (Read 37650 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Sean O'Driscoll
« Reply #150 on March 27, 2013, 10:50:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I have no way of being able to substantiate Rigo's claim but surely common sense tells us questions would have been asked 'IF' someone claiming to be SO'D attempted to register?

I's just curious to hear how he would have handled it and how the rest of us would have dealt with it if that scenario arose.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on March 27, 2013, 11:13:23 pm by wilts rover »
Baz if it had been me, I would have followed it up with a couple of pm's, emails, phone calls, to check the validity of the person claiming to be Sean. It it had been then I would have allowed him to post his statement on the front page of the website. And allowed him to do a Q&A thread on it via the website if he so wished. Exchange of information, its what the internet was invented for.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on March 27, 2013, 11:20:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
The guy barely said owt in the five years he had the job so you can forgive most folk on here for being more than a bit sceptical about him wanting to post a message on a fan's internet forum.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #153 on March 28, 2013, 12:03:15 am by RobTheRover »
Bloody hell, Baz.  Can you give me the lottery numbers for saturday?

The VSC board at the time did all those things, and were satisfied that it was indeed Sean.  You have to then take the general mood of the forum into consideration, and I'm sure all those who read the site 18 months ago will recall the absolute carnage Sean's departure left, with the fans clearly divided into 2 camps.  The Board's view was that no good could come from Sean using a fan's forum, when a) he had many other better options to release a statement (press, a PR company, radio interviews, LMA, etc), and b) he would be exposing himself to potential confrontation with certain sections of the club's support at a time when feelings were running high.  Given these considerations, Sean was contacted and the explanation given to him, which was accepted.

So, a story and a non-story.  This is a fan's board, by the fans for the fans. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on March 28, 2013, 12:25:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Cheers Rob,

A voice of reason and common sense at last. I do wonder whether some folk who you'd expect to have a rough grasp of these things assume so much and take opinion as fact.

Anyroad, I'm glad you've cleared that up. I can't imagine the consequences and what the press would have made of it all. 

I'm thankful we have a forum that is managed extremely well and when  it comes to 'sticky' issues like this, such matters are taken very seriously and handled professionally.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on March 28, 2013, 12:39:59 am by RobTheRover »
Thanks Baz. 

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on March 28, 2013, 05:00:47 am by PDX_Rover »
Rob,

Ever thought about a career in PR? Great response.

My 2penneth. I think SO'D had a vision and a plan for Rovers to develop on AND off the field. He's an extremely smart bloke, and I think that didn't sit well with certain people, one of whom is no longer at the club, (the same person that effectively scuppered a five year plan put forwards by a group of fans to develop Rovers' off the field activities). Some people are threatened when they think they're going to be rumbled by someone smarter than they.

There were a lot of things said in that period that plainly were not correct. "We're not a selling club." Well, yes, we are by necessity. No-one REALLY knows exactly what went down except the individuals involved. Suffice to say that under SO'D we did sell our best players, and they were not adequately replaced. Sharp, Wellens, Mills to name but three. We signed a lot of donkeys out of desperation, but was that due to budget constraints or the manager?

We've also had our share of injury-prone players in the past five years. It's been chronic. Why was that? I'd like to know what percentage of games Martin Woods has played in out of the maximum number he could have played. Are these injuries there when we sign them? Was it Dr. Death? The pitch?

If you have to sell your best players, have an injury list as long as your arm, and there's no chance of bringing in players of sufficient quality, I'd be despondent and unmotivated. OK, Sean interviewed for other jobs but Rovers let him do so. Having said all of that.... He did have a terrible run of results and I think in this day and age, Rovers were very patient.

I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other and a situation not handled at all well by the Club.
I would have liked SO'D to have the chance to work with Gavin Baldwin, but then again, I would have liked to keep Sharp, Wellens, Mills, Jimmy, Greeny, Gareth Roberts, and have signed Jason Shackell.

I wish we could close the book on this one and move on. We're in a great position to go up back to the Championship, and who knows what will happen then? For sure, we have a new Chief Exec who will relish the bigger stage, and the club will have learned valuable lessons from last time (I hope).

BTW, did we get that compo from Wolves for DS?

"Let's move on, 'cos it's time to groove on, South Stand drummer get wicked...."  THAT should be our goal song.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on March 28, 2013, 06:17:31 am by RobTheRover »

"Let's move on, 'cos it's time to groove on, South Stand drummer get wicked...."  THAT should be our goal song.

You are Chuck D and I claim my 5 pounds.

Its time to close the book on SOD, I'm afraid guys.  I understand why people get all dewy eyed at the mere mention of his name, because I did too for a long time after he left.  He was undoubtedly a great manager for us, and his contribution to our rise will never be forgotten, but he's been gone 18 months and a new chapter has begun.  Please, everyone, lets take that for what it is now.

We support the club whilst the individuals which represent it will undoubtedly come and go, and in football that is always the bottom line.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on March 28, 2013, 08:12:50 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Totally agree Rob and PDX_Rover. Excellent posts by you both in the last few hours.

Thanks for the memories Sean but its time to move on (again) now.

Brian Flynn is king

COYR

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on March 28, 2013, 08:33:35 am by Sheepskin Stu »
So wait a minute. This forum turned down the chance to get O'Driscoll on here? You couldn't make it up. Were you scared that Lord Ryan would take his ball home? An opportunity missed there chaps.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on March 28, 2013, 08:37:15 am by RobTheRover »
I've explained the reasons Stu. Pissing John off was not on that list.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #161 on March 28, 2013, 08:43:07 am by Filo »
So wait a minute. This forum turned down the chance to get O'Driscoll on here? You couldn't make it up. Were you scared that Lord Ryan would take his ball home? An opportunity missed there chaps.

Come on Stu, your smarter than that. It`s easy for people to say what we should or should n`t have done when there`s no potential comeback on them, Mods and admin are potentially in the firing line if things get out of hand and legal proceedings were started, we did have a lengthy debate at the time, there were arguments for and against allowing the registration, in the end when all things were considered it was decided that Sean had better options to let his feelings known, as Rob said this was communicated to him and he accepted the explanation, as far as I`m aware JR had no influence in that decision what so ever

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on March 28, 2013, 08:56:42 am by Alickismyhero »
Hi Filo,
I am at home right now if you want to phone me, or if you give me your number I will phone you.
Regards,
Alick.

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on March 28, 2013, 09:24:16 am by ridgewoodrover »
just sat and read the the whole thread people , apart from maybe 1 or 2 posts at times some very interesting &  sensible replys. some how i think blunts mad would have descended very quickly if they  had a similar discussion. this  is what  a  fans site should be  about  well done RTID.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on March 28, 2013, 10:17:13 am by Filo »
Hi Filo,
I am at home right now if you want to phone me, or if you give me your number I will phone you.
Regards,
Alick.

Alick, I have no reason to doubt your word and have no desire to enter into phone diolouge

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on March 28, 2013, 10:56:29 am by Alickismyhero »
Filo,
I am disappointed as my intentions were both respectful and honourable. When the heat is off please feel free to contact me as I would like to correct a few of your comments with facts and not opinions/ innuendos/half truths.

I think the article has run its course and should now close.

A good article Chris and thank you to the two members who contacted me who actually are in the know more than me.

Look out Coventry here we come!

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on March 28, 2013, 11:00:34 am by drfc1951 »

Come on Stu, your smarter than that. It`s easy for people to say what we should or should n`t have done when there`s no potential comeback on them, Mods and admin are potentially in the firing line if things get out of hand and legal proceedings were started, we did have a lengthy debate at the time, there were arguments for and against allowing the registration, in the end when all things were considered it was decided that Sean had better options to let his feelings known, as Rob said this was communicated to him and he accepted the explanation, as far as I`m aware JR had no influence in that decision what so ever
A fans forum is not the place for an ex manager to air his grievances.Iwould like to know why it has taken SOD 18 months to make this statement.What are his motives for doing this now when we are in a great position to be promoted,was it to cause a division between supporters again?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on March 28, 2013, 11:51:53 am by BobG »
Unlikely to b that I think 1951.  You could be right, but it'd hardly be typical of the man would it? Another possibility would be that he kept his mouth closed in the honourable way for 18 months, then got asked a question by a paper not in this country. The risk could easily have been seen as less. Sean is of my generation - we don't always appreciate the power and the accessibility of the net. Perhaps it was simply an accident?

I have no idea what actually happened 1951. But my theory is as likely to hold water as yours. I suggest mine would be more typical of the man.

And Wilts: you know perfectly well why the LMA statement said what it did and why that differs from what is reported to have been said over in Ireland. You're being deliberately contentious!

Cheers chaps

BobG

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on March 28, 2013, 12:14:04 pm by Alickismyhero »
Unlikely to b that I think 1951.  You could be right, but it'd hardly be typical of the man would it? Another possibility would be that he kept his mouth closed in the honourable way for 18 months, then got asked a question by a paper not in this country. The risk could easily have been seen as less. Sean is of my generation - we don't always appreciate the power and the accessibility of the net. Perhaps it was simply an accident?

I have no idea what actually happened 1951. But my theory is as likely to hold water as yours. I suggest mine would be more typical of the man.

And Wilts: you know perfectly well why the LMA statement said what it did and why that differs from what is reported to have been said over in Ireland. You're being deliberately contentious!

Cheers chaps

BobG

Perfectly correct BobG but its time to move on

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on March 28, 2013, 12:29:04 pm by RobTheRover »
I agree too.  Most likely he never intended to utter a word, and it just slipped out in the interview.

I'll lock the thread.  Lets draw a line and focus on promotion now , chaps and chapesses.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012