Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:35:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 3351 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Is it just me?
« on March 30, 2013, 09:23:31 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Still very much in our hands, but am I the only one who's concerned this team isn't quite ready and that tactically under Flynn we're not good enough to see the season out?

On that note would it be such a disaster if we don't go up? I'm just not sure the squad is ready or we have the right man in charge.

Don't want to be too negative but our play under Flynn concerns me at the moment. Conceding soft goals, missing chances etc. It's all a bit familiar to the last league one run in...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on March 30, 2013, 09:33:21 am by mutleyrover »
I tend to agree. 

We would need to do another big rebuilding job over the summer to make us ready for the higher league.  Regarding Flynn, I'm not sure he'll be in charge next season either way.

DaveOfDonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 30, 2013, 09:47:07 am by DaveOfDonny »
I tend to agree. 

We would need to do another big rebuilding job over the summer to make us ready for the higher league.  Regarding Flynn, I'm not sure he'll be in charge next season either way.

I certainly hope that's the case, we've been very inconsistent and tactically poor since he took over.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 30, 2013, 09:52:16 am by The Red Baron »
For me, Flynn would make a great Director of Football. I hope we keep him at the club and appoint a new first team coach/ team manager for next season.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 30, 2013, 09:58:02 am by The Red Baron »
Still very much in our hands, but am I the only one who's concerned this team isn't quite ready and that tactically under Flynn we're not good enough to see the season out?

On that note would it be such a disaster if we don't go up? I'm just not sure the squad is ready or we have the right man in charge.

Don't want to be too negative but our play under Flynn concerns me at the moment. Conceding soft goals, missing chances etc. It's all a bit familiar to the last league one run in...

I feel very torn at the moment. I would love to see us go up, but at the same time I believe this team would be ripped to shreds in the Championship. Last time we went up we had a squad that was more or less ready to play at a higher level. This one is a decent enough League One side but would need large scale investment (which I don't believe is available- for perfectly valid reasons.)

On the other hand, if we don't go up we may not get an opportunity to do so for several years and may end up like Colchester or Oldham- a team that seems to finish a place or two lower each successive season until they end up in a relegation struggle. I dread to think what that would do to our crowds!

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 30, 2013, 10:02:42 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
If we go up, BF will be staying on no doubt about it.  Would be very harsh to get rid of him if we're promoted.

To be honest I thought his substitutions were spot on yesterday.  Early in the game he spotted the problem and changed our formation to sort it out.  Then at half time he changed the personnel.  Dont see why every time we loose people get on his back.  If we'd took our chances in the second half everyone would be singing his praises

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 30, 2013, 10:03:28 am by Donnyrovers »
For me, Flynn would make a great Director of Football. I hope we keep him at the club and appoint a new first team coach/ team manager for next season.

Exactly this! I hope we do get a new manager in but Flynn is someone I think we need at the club behind the scenes.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 30, 2013, 10:04:32 am by Chris Black come back »

I feel very torn at the moment. I would love to see us go up, but at the same time I believe this team would be ripped to shreds in the Championship. Last time we went up we had a squad that was more or less ready to play at a higher level. This one is a decent enough League One side but would need large scale investment (which I don't believe is available- for perfectly valid reasons.)

On the other hand, if we don't go up we may not get an opportunity to do so for several years and may end up like Colchester or Oldham- a team that seems to finish a place or two lower each successive season until they end up in a relegation struggle. I dread to think what that would do to our crowds!

We would clearly need enhancements. This side is nowhere near the footballing side of SOD but it does have backbone though and that is a good building block. Would hope to avoid the abject humiliation of last season though.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 30, 2013, 10:06:20 am by IDM »
It is a given that we will need to rebuild the squad if we go up.

Are we good enough to get there?  On yesterday's first haf performance, no chance.  On the second half, every chance.  But for a lucky defender's deflection and a little sharper finishing (ie Brown on the end of a cross instead of McCombe) and a few decent saves (there were a few chances in the first half) we could and perhaps should have got a result yesterday.

BF clearly said the right things at half time, and ,made the necessary change - Husband will have better days and can be forgiven yesterday.  What I don't get, is why we don't start a game as we do the second half?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 30, 2013, 10:10:09 am by Filo »
It is a given that we will need to rebuild the squad if we go up.

Are we good enough to get there?  On yesterday's first haf performance, no chance.  On the second half, every chance.  But for a lucky defender's deflection and a little sharper finishing (ie Brown on the end of a cross instead of McCombe) and a few decent saves (there were a few chances in the first half) we could and perhaps should have got a result yesterday.

BF clearly said the right things at half time, and ,made the necessary change - Husband will have better days and can be forgiven yesterday.  What I don't get, is why we don't start a game as we do the second half?

I was n`t there Yesterday but listened on the Radio, what`s blatantly obvious to me is we`re only turning up for half a game. Last week we turned up first half, this week we turned up second half, we need to give it for the whole 90 minutes not just 45

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 30, 2013, 10:14:19 am by IDM »
I've been saying that all season Filo, had we turned up for 90 mins more often we'd be well clear at the top. That is the frustrating thing, because I know we have not been performing to our potential.  Had we been playing to our best and outside the play offs, then that would be understandable.

We need to start on Monday as we finished on Friday.  Same 11 bar Hume back on for Bennett. 

Yesterday saw the best and worst of Doncaster Rovers this season.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 30, 2013, 10:16:51 am by bpoolrover »

Don't want to be too negative but our play under Flynn concerns me at the moment. Conceding soft goals, missing chances etc. It's all a bit familiar to the last league one run in...  How can you blame the manager for missed chances

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 30, 2013, 10:18:56 am by 1879Rovers »
I honestly believe if we went up, Flynn would bring in players good enough to compete in the championship. He watches a lot of football and he has enough contacts to get players in and on the cheap.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 30, 2013, 10:44:40 am by DonnyNoel »
I honestly believe if we went up, Flynyn would bring in players good enough to compete in the championship. He watches a lot of football and he has enough contacts to get players in and on the cheap.

I'd hope so. I watched Leicester v Millwall last night and the quality of the benches was a real eye opener

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 30, 2013, 11:33:56 am by Bristol Red Rover »
For sure he'd make a superb director of football, but I think he's still settling in as manager and he has what it takes.

Next season, whether we are up or not, I think he'll improve the squad as well as be capable tactically.

Yesterday, he set us up as we were before because that worked. Coventry knew this would be the case and managed to get the advantage - they could easily have failed. Was that because Flynn hadn't thought that through or because our players simply didn't hit the ground running and take it to the opposition?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 30, 2013, 01:35:12 pm by RoversAlias »
Got to agree with a lot of the sentiment in this thread about Flynn. Love having him around and he's a vital part of our staff but I think now he's better suited to being a DOF or a scout. I'm yet to be convinced by him and I think we should go in a different direction whether we go up or not.

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #16 on March 30, 2013, 02:58:38 pm by NorthNorfolkRover »
does it matter if we arent good enough as next seasons team will probably be totally different to this one. On another subject why didn't we get Murphy in goal when we had the chance ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 30, 2013, 03:12:12 pm by RedJ »
does it matter if we arent good enough as next seasons team will probably be totally different to this one. On another subject why didn't we get Murphy in goal when we had the chance ?

He was being a greedy bas**rd so we told him where to go.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 30, 2013, 07:34:19 pm by mrfrostsdad »
If we'd played half decent at home we would already be up

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 30, 2013, 07:42:02 pm by CusworthRovers »
I honestly believe if we went up, Flynn would bring in players good enough to compete in the championship. He watches a lot of football and he has enough contacts to get players in and on the cheap.

I'd go with that, but one must factor in Red Barons post, which is also true.

BF cannot construct a Prem 2 side on £2-£4k wages, and then expect it to compete. I'm confident he can find the players, if he has a decent budget, but our crowds will not give him that budget. I'm not convinced yet that he can find a system ala Sean, to compete with a smaller budget.

I was also confident in our last L1 team being capable in the Prem 2, but I don't think this team is anywhere near that, and the Prem 2 gets stronger and stronger. Look at the points tally thus far for the relegation threatened teams this season. 

pubteam

« Reply #20 on March 30, 2013, 07:53:11 pm by pubteam »
I was tempted to post my concerns about Flynn on here yesterday, but I resisted as I expected to be pilloried. This thread though has shown me that there are others who have similar concerns.

Make no mistake, Flynn's appointment made sense at the time. Appoint from within and pick up where DS left off. But as the weeks have gone by, I'm beginning to doubt how much BF actually knew about our team before he took the job, because the continuity he was supposed to bring hasn't been evident to me.

Fair enough, we're passing it better at times, but we don't seem anywhere near as solid defensively, and as a result we're not picking up wins as consistently as we were before. Plus, some of BF's team selections/tactical decisions/substitutions have been baffling to me. Take yesterday for example: 10 minutes to go, we're desperate for a goal, two strikers on the bench, yet he leaves 5 across the middle and puts Rob Jones up front!

I was all for Flynn being appointed, and have backed him so far, but we just don't seem anywhere near as effective under him as we were under DS. I don't particularly fancy our chances for seeing out automatic promotion, and wouldn't back us in the play-offs with how we're playing at the moment.

I think it's clear that Flynn can spot a player. His work with DS in the summer, and his recruitment of Furman show that he's an asset to us when it comes to finding players to sign. Whether he's the right man to be the manager, I'm not convinced.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 30, 2013, 09:26:06 pm by Al4475 »
Mutley:

"We would need to do another big rebuilding job over the summer to make us ready for the higher league.  Regarding Flynn, I'm not sure he'll be in charge next season either way."

Is it me? Have I misheard or misunderstood something, but I felt it was relatively common knowledge that Flynn was only in charge until summer, and that we (should we go up) would have another complete rebuild next season?

Can anyone shed a little more light on this as I am convinced this has been said officially - however I may be very wrong and have dreamed it all!

:rtid:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 30, 2013, 10:05:01 pm by RoversAlias »
I really don't think we have said for certain that we will change managers in the summer and certainly no official word that we will rebuild again. I think to do that, whether it is intended or not, would be a stupid move and could easily badly affect team morale and performance.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 31, 2013, 04:49:37 pm by mrfrostsdad »
BF's contract only runs 'til summer, but JR has said quite openly in the press that 'He will be part of the management team for many years to come'.

As far as re-building goes, if we get promoted we HAVE to re-build. If we don't I suspect next season could be pretty miserable. If we don't go up I think we need to keep the majority of this squad together, with a few additions, and hopefully give it a good go again next season

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 31, 2013, 04:57:24 pm by RedJ »
BF's contract only runs 'til summer, but JR has said quite openly in the press that 'He will be part of the management team for many years to come'.

As far as re-building goes, if we get promoted we HAVE to re-build. If we don't I suspect next season could be pretty miserable. If we don't go up I think we need to keep the majority of this squad together, with a few additions, and hopefully give it a good go again next season

Key phrase being 'management team'. That could be anything from manager itself  to a DoF.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 31, 2013, 11:47:33 pm by andysly »
Are we ready to go up? Good enough ?
Maybe not, but you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Our premier league sides aren't good enough for the champions league, England aren't good enough to win the World Cup, but they want to qualify for the chance.
Lets get up there and see where the ride takes us.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 31, 2013, 11:52:19 pm by GazLaz »
Get promoted and get Warnock in.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 31, 2013, 11:55:29 pm by roversam »
Colin w**ker ffs no thanks.

pubteam

« Reply #28 on April 01, 2013, 12:00:17 am by pubteam »
I'd take Warnock regardless of whether we get promoted or not. Not quite done it at Leeds, but has been a great manager everywhere he's been.

He was on Late Kick Off this evening. Didn't rule out getting another job in management when he leaves Leeds at the end of this season, but said he might look at getting a Director of Football type role somewhere.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 01, 2013, 12:17:39 am by BRMC_rover »
 :huh:

Everyone should know that this team has been built with the sole intent of it being able to compete at Lg.1 level. Im sure no one at the club are thinking we are fine to go into next season without a full re-structure of loans, free's and the usual lower league, small priced gambles on a few that could make the step up. Thus far, if we were promoted we'd get away with starting:- Jones (leader and solid), Cotterill (lucky to have got him in this league), Quinn (does his job, no frills), Coppinger (would need some competition) and at a push, Chris Brown who could if stayed fit and hit form, do as Henderson is doing at Forest.

There are enough decent free's that become available each season, plus plenty of options in the loan market, but it needs to be worked well ala Blackpool when they went up with Dobbie, Adam and DJ Campbell all on loan and dragging them up. Flynn would be good at this side of things, but im not convinced he's the complete manager to guide us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012