Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:06:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Another one bites the dust...  (Read 2892 times)

MartinB

Another one bites the dust...
« on March 30, 2013, 09:56:20 pm by MartinB »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21985808

Martin O'Neill at Sunderland "parted company" some good managers gone this year IMO.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Another one bites the dust...
« Reply #1 on March 30, 2013, 10:06:33 pm by the vicar »
man u un beaten in 18 games they lost 1-0 and they get rid of one of the best manages what a shower of sh-t

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 30, 2013, 10:06:54 pm by RoversAlias »
Needs to be some way to stop this happening. I think it has become excessive to the extreme how easily everyone sacks their managers these days.

pubteam

« Reply #3 on March 30, 2013, 10:11:56 pm by pubteam »
I do think O'Neill is vastly overrated as a manager though.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 30, 2013, 10:27:48 pm by Donnyjim »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21985808

Martin O'Neill at Sunderland "parted company" some good managers gone this year IMO.

Do you think Brian Flynn will accept the post? ;-)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 30, 2013, 10:36:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
A mate of mine's a Villa fan. He'd happily see off O'Neil in the way that lass was killed in Cannibal Holocaust so pissed off is he with the state that the club was left in by O'Neil.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 31, 2013, 02:34:49 am by RedJ »
Speaking of managers, can't believe Stevenage have taken Westley back. Again.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 31, 2013, 12:04:17 pm by Northants Nomad »
Needs to be some way to stop this happening. I think it has become excessive to the extreme how easily everyone sacks their managers these days.

Now I'll be a bit controversial. I don't agree that this needs to be stopped. Football managers take the jobs knowing that the outcome will be either sacking or moving to a better job. Clubs have to have the right to get rid of the manager at any time - as fans, we might not agree with whatever time they decide, but it needs to remain their right. That's why it's generally high-rewards. High risk/high rewards.

What is the alternative? Not be allowed to get rid of someone? So where would that go? A manager who doesn't have the backing of his Chairman and the Board? Ouch! That would be a BAD place for any club. Likely outcome is that either the manager would stick it out which would not be healthy, or he would then resign and claim constructive dismissal, giving rise to a long, drawn-out legal process where only lawyers get rich. Either way, the Club suffers. If he just resigns, he probably gets no compo so it's actually in his interest to get sacked if the position is seen as untenable from either side.

Sorry, but once a Board has decided/lost confidence (however misguided this may feel), it's best to make the change and move on. We don't know what was going on behind the scenes. How do we know if the players were divided? The long term will show whether they were right. If they get a manager and stay up/bounce back, then go on to build success, it was arguably correct.

Is it really any different in the non-football world? My company is in the process of making me redundant. That is their right. I'm not bitter. I could have left at any time, they can get rid of me at any time. They will pay me compensation that's in my contract. I knew the terms when I signed up so I have to accept it when it happens. I don't think the decision they are making is the right one, but they run the business and are paid to make their decisions - the long term will show if it was right.

In all these cases, if it really is a bad leadership situation, the shareholders will sort it out and the Board will be out once the outcomes are played out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 31, 2013, 12:24:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The LMA is a trade union for extremely highly paid people. It's pronouncements are made with no intention other than furthering the interests of its highly paid members.

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/about/aboutlma-2.html

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2013, 03:41:53 pm by CusworthRovers »
He seems to get by on enthusiasm and jumping up and down when his teams score. I think he's been found out. He did a job at Leicester, but after that little else. Football has moved on since Lennon and Savage battled Leicester through games. Celtic is not difficult to show you're a successful manager Martin, that job made Strachan look good and would make Barbapapa look like Mourinho. When I see either Martin or Gordon on TV punditry they sound badly lacking in tactics and football intelligence.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2013, 09:37:31 pm by scaley back rover »
now replaced by hot head di canio at least the motd interviews will be intresting at least

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2013, 09:42:57 pm by GazLaz »
This not sacking managers argument is nonsense. If I was putting millions into a business I'd change who runs it whenever I wanted. Sunderland need an instant kick up the arse and PD is the kind of bloke that can do that. They just can't sit back and do nothing.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2013, 09:45:13 pm by RedJ »
This not sacking managers argument is nonsense. If I was putting millions into a business I'd change who runs it whenever I wanted. Sunderland need an instant kick up the arse and PD is the kind of bloke that can do that. They just can't sit back and do nothing.

Quite literally :laugh:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqFxvrYbXk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqFxvrYbXk</a>

Could be you next, Titus!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:54:46 pm by RedJ »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 31, 2013, 10:13:59 pm by RobTheRover »
Will we see Paulo throwing fascist salutes on MOTD too?   Can't wait.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 31, 2013, 11:07:02 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Will we see Paulo throwing fascist salutes on MOTD too?   Can't wait.

Can't wait for the loud chants as DiCanio goes on tour - in two weeks he's at Newcastle, then there's the last match at Tottenham.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 31, 2013, 11:11:51 pm by Herman Hessian »
Celtic is not difficult to show you're a successful manager Martin, that job made Strachan look good and would make Barbapapa look like Mourinho.

quality summation of the scottish game; good work that man....

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 31, 2013, 11:42:02 pm by andysly »
Another club that gets the manager it deserves.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012