Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:45:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Western Sydney Wanderers  (Read 2520 times)

newyankee

• VSC Member
Western Sydney Wanderers
« on March 31, 2013, 06:42:06 pm by newyankee »

Just been watching Newcastle v Western Sydney Wanderers playing in the A League in Australia. Western Sydney play in the same shirts as us( Nike) . 

Is there a way of getting a tie up with them, maybe something for Gavin Baldwin to look at. There are some good young players in Australia. Some of our Youth team could go out there, it's worth looking at.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Western Sydney Wanderers
« Reply #1 on March 31, 2013, 07:07:05 pm by RedJ »
Might be worth dropping Shaun Lockwood a PM, NY.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 31, 2013, 07:41:16 pm by GazLaz »
There is an area called Doncaster is in Melbourne I believe.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 31, 2013, 07:54:23 pm by newyankee »
 I know gazlaz, Doncaster is in Victoria, they have a team, but not at the level of A League.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 31, 2013, 07:58:55 pm by hoolahoop »
I know gazlaz, Doncaster is in Victoria, they have a team, but not at the level of A League.

I'm surprised we haven't done more in the past to link up with them.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 31, 2013, 07:59:59 pm by DonnyOsmond »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doncaster_Rovers_S.C.

They were apparently named after us. We should really have a connection then imo.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 31, 2013, 08:04:12 pm by newyankee »
Thanks Redj, I have e mailed my old colleague Dave Parker to have a word with messers Lockwood and Baldwin about the feesibility.

The team in Victoria, ( Doncaster), is about the same standard as the Conference over here, I doubt we would gain much from that, possibly Gainsborough Trimity standard.

CoventryRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 31, 2013, 08:06:32 pm by CoventryRed »
I visited Doncaster Rovers (Aus) back in January of last year and wrote a piece in the fanzine which can be read at http://issuu.com/popularstand/docs/ps57 if you're interested.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 31, 2013, 08:08:26 pm by hoolahoop »
Thanks Redj, I have e mailed my old colleague Dave Parker to have a word with messers Lockwood and Baldwin about the feesibility.

The team in Victoria, ( Doncaster), is about the same standard as the Conference over here, I doubt we would gain much from that, possibly Gainsborough Trimity standard.

I doubt that as they now play in the 3rd tier of State footy but have been at the top level in Victoria in the past.
However that doesn't mean that there isn't some mileage somewhere in fostering a relationship.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:21:35 pm by hoolahoop »

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2013, 08:16:57 pm by newyankee »
I've just googled them hoolahoop. You are right, they are in the Victoria Division three which I would think will be similar to the lower levels of non league over here. I don't see them having anyone worth us looking at.

The Western Sydney team on the other hand is playing at a high level and they are coached by former Crystal Palace and Australia player Tony Popovic. He may prefer a tie up with Palace, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2013, 08:27:43 pm by newyankee »

Thanks Coventry red, a very good and enjoyable piece. I do think that we as a team, should be trying to get ties to other teams in  other countries. You never know where such things could lead.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2013, 08:37:23 pm by hoolahoop »

Thanks Coventry red, a very good and enjoyable piece. I do think that we as a team, should be trying to get ties to other teams in  other countries. You never know where such things could lead.

I couldn't agree more , a tie-up with our sister club could mean we are able to help them in the future, send players who over there and of course run our eye over the youngsters there. There are some good Aussie and Yank players coming through......we could do worse than communicate with them.

CoventryRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2013, 08:42:01 pm by CoventryRed »
The Rovers over there do have a lot of youth teams of various ages.

Might be worth sending someone over to take a look? Maybe get a few of the best over here for a few weeks to train with our youth teams and get a better look?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 31, 2013, 08:51:27 pm by hoolahoop »
The Rovers over there do have a lot of youth teams of various ages.

Might be worth sending someone over to take a look? Maybe get a few of the best over here for a few weeks to train with our youth teams and get a better look?

In return we could incentivise our better youth players of various ages that a trip to our Aussie 'training camp' might be available for the hardest workers. Just an idea.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 31, 2013, 10:01:40 pm by RobTheRover »
I think Philsky sent the Australian Doncaster Rovers a shirt. I'm pretty sure they had it in their clubhouse on the wall

CoventryRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 31, 2013, 10:03:52 pm by CoventryRed »
They did indeed Rob, first thing I saw when they opened the clubhouse door. I took a scarf for them too. Not sure what they did with it but would like to think it went up with the shirt

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 31, 2013, 10:13:23 pm by Dagenham Rover »
http://doncasterrovers.org/~doncaste/

Interestingly the clubhouse at Anderson Park burnt down a few years ago  It may have even been the second time but at least these were accidental  :blink:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 31, 2013, 10:19:05 pm by RobTheRover »
The similarities just keep on coming....

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 31, 2013, 11:09:08 pm by Herman Hessian »
grand idea; i think we should do everything possible in the short term to foster positive, friendly relations with australian sporting concerns and their supporters using whatever common denominators we can find (shirt colours, names, all commendable stuff) - a sort of trojan horse of sporting bonhomie wheeled from one hemisphere to the other - then spend the entire summer ripping the piss out of them mercilessly as we arse rape them in the ashes...

just an idea, like...

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 01, 2013, 12:12:57 am by BobG »
You're right Daggers. Their club house went up in smoke twice in very short order. It caused huge issues. I don't know for sure but it could be one of the bigger reasons why they slipped down the leagues a fair bit.

BobG

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 01, 2013, 07:41:16 am by Al4475 »
I did suggest a link with the Melbourne Doncaster side 10 years ago - but it was, perhaps understandably, not deemed viable.

Didn't Philsky(?) go out there and present them with a scarf and shirt and some such a little while back too?

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 01, 2013, 09:37:36 am by Standanista »
The team in Victoria, ( Doncaster), is about the same standard as the Conference over here
Nowhere close unfortunately.  The A-League itself is closer to Conference standard, having watched plenty of it at the SFS over the years.  Western Sydney would be a logical club to link up with though: big catchment area and good for a few Italian/Greek/Croatian names on the future Rovers team sheet, with maybe a Lebanese striker coming off the bench in Viz-esque cameo fashion.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:42:22 am by Standanista »

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 01, 2013, 10:05:18 am by sheffield exile1 »
I think this is a bit blurred. I am in favour of links with Doncaster as they are named after us, and by said shirt display, seen to want to reciprocate, despite them falling on hard times (sound familiar?)[/b]. I was disapointed when i read the post about no value in this, until i realised it meant as a future player source potential, completely different matter. Always in favour of us scouting for talent as we know we cant compete with the big money signing clubs, and if we do go up then it makes that more vital.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012