Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:07:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Question, r.e Championship.  (Read 8259 times)

The Beast

• Forum Member
Re: Question, r.e Championship.
« Reply #30 on May 02, 2013, 08:34:33 am by The Beast »
I would like to see more goals from midfield , possibly a left sided player for dead ball situations as an alternative to Cotts .

I think Husband could be that player next season, he will come on physically in the summer and will be faster and stronger next season. He's got a great left foot and looks a lot better in midfield than defence to me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 02, 2013, 08:58:20 am by silent majority »
I know everyone complains that Lg1 has been poor this season, but seriously who's seen many Championship games? I think that's been poor this season too, look at Leicester, Derby and others, and don't forget how we beat Hull. It may not be such a big step for this team.

Is that some SOD style expectation management?  :whistle:

If we stick with Flynn I can easily see the 3/4 quality additions being Furman, Lundtsrum on loan and Hume on loan and everyone gnashing their teeth.

Not at all, I just think the gap in quality is not as big as some people make out. Look at the Wendies, an awful team who will survive, I think!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 02, 2013, 10:10:13 am by wing commander »
  Well is all about balance for me....I would want a centreback with pace to play alongside Jones,a goalkeeper,a ball player in midfield,a winger and a striker with pace...As a team i think we are very restricted when it comes to zipping the ball about...
   If we could add that to the current crop i will be happy..but whatever happens at least i know that this team will fight for everything they can not like the experiment players we had last time who folded like a soggy kitkat every time the going got tough...

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 02, 2013, 11:32:27 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
As others have stated, I dont think we need to tinker with the squad we have too much.  That is providing the ones who are out of contract agree new deals i.e. Spurr.

GK
CB - Pacey ball player
MF - Creative & will get a few goals
MF - Experienced
ST - Pacey finisher to play along side Brown

That would do it for me

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 02, 2013, 03:10:19 pm by bedale rover »
we do need to re-focus the team to be quicker in all departments especially in midfield to create space and to use the ball more effectively but also we need the full backs to overlap more at pace

and

we need to consider a change of formation from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 a la swansea

i think that this team needs to evolve 

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 02, 2013, 03:14:51 pm by River Don »
We need someone like Billy Sharp... so how about Billy Sharp?

I've been told Adkins wants him at Reading, not sure if that is right but if it is we wouldn't be able to compete with the money there.

The first thing we're going to need is a new keeper.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 02, 2013, 03:16:37 pm by DonnyNoel »
we do need to re-focus the team to be quicker in all departments especially in midfield to create space and to use the ball more effectively but also we need the full backs to overlap more at pace

and

Interesting you mentioned 3 centre mids, I couldn't help but think the other day that  3 from Keegan, Furman, Lundstram and Syers would be a pretty useful combination, particularly away from home.

BK29

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 02, 2013, 03:17:52 pm by BK29 »
McDermott is an admirer of Sharp apparently. Be a bit shit seeing him in a Leeds shirt! We have 0% chance of signing him, so i hope he stays in the premier league.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 02, 2013, 03:20:58 pm by River Don »

and

Interesting you mentioned 3 centre mids, I couldn't help but think the other day that  3 from Keegan, Furman, Lundstram and Syers would be a pretty useful combination, particularly away from home.

I've thought on a few occasions this season we could have done more with a 4-3-3.

I think we ought to reward Brian Flynn with a contract for manager but I do have concerns about him. His reliance on the 4-4-2 being one of them.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 02, 2013, 03:25:19 pm by DonnyNoel »

and

I've thought on a few occasions this season we could have done more with a 4-3-3.

I think we ought to reward Brian Flynn with a contract for manager but I do have concerns about him. His reliance on the 4-4-2 being one of them.

I think the midfield cohesion going forward this season has been lacking (defensively its been outstanding). It started to look more like a passing unit with the additions of Furman and Lundstram despite playing on sand pits so I wouldn't object to us persisting with a 442 at times, we just need to get a better balance. Its possible to keep BF and persue this, I really think we could do with another coach though to help get the midfield sorted.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 02, 2013, 03:27:49 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
This set of players have to be given the chance at championship level. They've earned that right. Football is no different from any managerial role. It's about dealing with people. Clough took a nucleus of hard working players at Derby and Forest and gradually supplemented them with individuals that complemented what he already had. Flynn needs to do the same. <snip>

Totally agree with that Capmeister. It depends who is available, but evidence so far shows that Flynn has a great eye for talent. Too many changes in one go could derail the strength we have.

I'm probably alone on this one, but I'd give Gary Woods the job for the Championship. He's still learning and come on heaps last season. He's shown areas he needs to improve, maybe he will. Keeping Sulli for cover and coaching is a golden opportunity for us. If Sulli can impart that experience to Woods, we could be onto a real winner. I think he'd step up next season and to ditch him or put him to number two would be foolish.  :chair:

BK29

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 02, 2013, 03:36:16 pm by BK29 »
I'm glad some on here aren't going to be manager next season. We'd end up playing the same 11 as this year out of 'sentiment'.

Dean Saunders said he rebuilt the squad for L1. Now we need to do the same sort of rebuild job for the Championship. Some of the one's who did ok this season will be absolutely atrocious at the level above, we shouldn't keep them just because they've 'earnt the right'.

You don't build success on sentiment.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 02, 2013, 04:41:54 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
You don't build success on sentiment.

I get your point and for sure its easy to go too far that way. But as Capmeister said, you can go too far the other way too. For me the thread of success in this hangs with keeping with our strengths and gradually building eg Furman, Lungstram. Go too far and we could lose that team spirit - call it the pub team strength if you like. I see parallels with our potential and the Wimbledon of old.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 02, 2013, 04:54:53 pm by BRMC_rover »
I think we have to rip apart the current team and rebuild it to be fit for purpose

As it stands this team will be relegated by Christmas
Too slow
Can't pass
Can't retain the ball
At most 8 players from the current squad would be good enough

One thing to think about though Beadle Rover is this.  Take the side of 2010/2011 that JUST avoided relegation from the Championship with 1 game to go.  Compare that team with our current team.  Which do you think would win?  I for one think the current side is much better in most departments.  5 decent players on top of the current crop and we'll stay up next season.  Keep the faith!

Are you mad?

Sulli 4 years ago Vs. Sulli now?

Joc Vs Quinn. Debatable

Mills and Hird Vs McCombe and Jones. Mills made Hird look respectable. Jones leads the defence, but overall, Mills made us solid and any partner with him that season would be better than Jones and McCombe.

G. Roberts Vs. Spurr. Roberts got forward better, Spurr a little more solid.

Stock and Wellens Vs. Any of this season's pairings, there is no contest here as im sure we'l all agree. Lundstram will be better than Stock in a few years but no contest between Stock when we we up.

Copps was better a few years ago, naturally.

Cotterill better than whoever we played wide left. Lewis Guy.....(Who else did we play there?)

Hayter and Heffernan Vs. Paynter/Brown/Hume. Arguably the former, although I think, with a midfield like we had 4 years ago, the current strikers would be as good or better than Heffernan and Hayter.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 02, 2013, 06:28:37 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I think we have to rip apart the current team and rebuild it to be fit for purpose

Too slow
Can't pass
Can't retain the ball

One thing to think about though Beadle Rover is this.  Take the side of 2010/2011 that JUST avoided relegation from the Championship with 1 game to go.  Compare that team with our current team.  Which do you think would win?  I for one think the current side is much better in most departments.  5 decent players on top of the current crop and we'll stay up next season.  Keep the faith!

Are you mad?

Joc Vs Quinn. Debatable

Mills and Hird Vs McCombe and Jones. Mills made Hird look respectable. Jones leads the defence, but overall, Mills made us solid and any partner with him that season would be better than Jones and McCombe.

Stock and Wellens Vs. Any of this season's pairings, there is no contest here as im sure we'l all agree. Lundstram will be better than Stock in a few years but no contest between Stock when we we up.

Cotterill better than whoever we played wide left. Lewis Guy.....(Who else did we play there?)

Hayter and Heffernan Vs. Paynter/Brown/Hume. Arguably the former, although I think, with a midfield like we had 4 years ago, the current strikers would be as good or better than Heffernan and Hayter.

I'm not mad at all. Especially on those comparisons because Roberts, Mills and Wellens who you've brought up didn't even play for us in 2010/2011

Come to think of it I don't think Paul Heffernan did either.

Sorry :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:34:27 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 02, 2013, 08:59:54 pm by BRMC_rover »

Too slow
Can't pass
Can't retain the ball

Are you mad?

Joc Vs Quinn. Debatable

I'm not mad at all. Especially on those comparisons because Roberts, Mills and Wellens who you've brought up didn't even play for us in 2010/2011

Heffernan's goals saved us that season you fool! Mills was the man wearing his tee shirt back to front when we won the play off final Vs Leeds. And of course Stock was here.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 02, 2013, 09:02:40 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

Too slow
Can't pass
Can't retain the ball

Are you mad?

Joc Vs Quinn. Debatable

Heffernan's goals saved us that season you fool! Mills was the man wearing his tee shirt back to front when we won the play off final Vs Leeds. And of course Stock was here.

Do you actually know what year the playoff final was?  Because it certainly wasn't 2010/2011.

Go and educate yourself my friend.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 03, 2013, 09:16:55 am by Capmeister »
I'd happily av Woodsy between the sticks Bristol Red, if he'd showed the same presence as Sully. He just doesn't give me that confidence at set pieces, particularly corners. Woods is a good shot stopper but whether it's just a general lack of height or simply confidence he's lacking at the mo in the key area I mentioned earlier. That said, Woods has been the main keeper and we finished top. Trouble is the championship could possibly see a club relegated on 57 points and indication of what is generally agreed will be a tougher challenge for the current squad this season.

BK29, I think your argument is flawed, principally cos of money. We were dealing in a cheaper market, one we are more able to compete in. This can't be said of our status in the championship. I also think there's a general perception clubs getting relegated are more likely to bounce back. On this point, I didn't see it mind. Taking nothing away from Saunders his decision to build for league 1 proved right, though to a degree he had no choice but to bring in new staff. Could the same philosophy be applied to how we approach life in the championship, I don't think so based on my first point.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 03, 2013, 09:51:45 am by The L J Monk »
Heffernan's goals saved us that season you fool!

In the 2010/11 season, Heffernan scored 3 goals.

For Sheffield Wednesday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012