Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Shafted by the FA... Again  (Read 19290 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Doncaster Shafted by the FA... Again
« on May 13, 2013, 08:25:13 am by VivaRovers »
This didn't really get the coverage it deserved at the time, probably due to the fact it broke the day before Rovers' game at Brentford, but as some will be aware, the FA has decided to demote the Belles from the Women's Super League without offering any reason as to why.

For those who weren't aware of this, more details can be found here; http://popularstand.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/the-belles-toll-on-the-fas-relegation-of-the-doncaster-belles/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Doncaster Shafted by the FA... Again
« Reply #1 on May 13, 2013, 08:40:56 am by bobjimwilly »
Reading this makes my piss boil. Why has there been no coverage on Sky sports? Or indeed by local news team?
Its a scandal and the FA need taking to town on this!  :mad:

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 13, 2013, 09:05:10 am by VivaRovers »
Why has there been no coverage on Sky sports?

That I can answer... they only give a sh*t about sports they have the rights to. No money. No interest

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 13, 2013, 09:08:57 am by AbsolutDRFC »
Instead of tweeting rubbish non-facts, why don't the DFP "sports journalists" get onto this story and do some digging with the FA?

That should keep them busy for a couple of days.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 13, 2013, 09:19:58 am by DRNaith »
I've sent a tweet out to one of the DFP guys, I agree this is something that they could really get their teeth into and gain some popularity with in the process.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 13, 2013, 09:29:38 am by AbsolutDRFC »
Nice one; thanks.

Obviously there are normally 2 sides to every story and I'd be very keen to hear the FA's point of view.

It just doesn't stack up though; why allow the Women's Cup Final at the Keepmoat & have all the relevant FA officials there a few weeks after this strange decision to exclude the Belles from the top division.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 13, 2013, 09:56:42 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Absolute disgrace.  Admittedly I've only been to watch the Belles a couple of times but even so, reading that has really pissed me off.

Over 20 years in the top flight and relegated via a press release.  How much more disrespect can the jokers at the FA possibly show.  One thing is for sure, it wouldn't happen in the mens game.

This needs highlighting not just in the local press, but the UK press too

:headbang:

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 13, 2013, 10:04:29 am by DRNaith »
The reply received from the DFP was: "We've contacted the FA - they're refusing to play ball. We'll keep trying."

Looks like they're on it then....

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 13, 2013, 10:05:58 am by The L J Monk »
What sort of crowds are the Belles pulling in?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 13, 2013, 10:10:34 am by VivaRovers »
The Free Press have covered this (the article linked above quotes their coverage) and their Belles reporter Hayley Paterson has been pressing the FA for a response, but they still refuse to comment or clarify.

In regards to attendances; over the last two seasons they have fluctuated between 150 and 650. Not great, but certainly not the worst in the FAWSL

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 13, 2013, 10:13:50 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I just dont get how they can do it or what its based on.  You wouldnt get someone from the FA go to Aston Villa for example and just relegate them and replace them next season with Leeds.

Has this happend to any other clubs in the womens league?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 13, 2013, 10:14:23 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Why has there been no coverage on Sky sports?

That I can answer... they only give a sh*t about sports they have the rights to. No money. No interest

More likely it's been done to try and get Sky interested at all. It smacks of the ridiculous engineering that detached rugby league's top flight from the unglamorous rump.

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 13, 2013, 10:15:07 am by ReadingViking »
Televised FA Cup final at the Keepmoat - ideal opportunity for a few well placed banners publicising the situation   :scarf:

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 13, 2013, 10:15:45 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Televised FA Cup final at the Keepmoat - ideal opportunity for a few well placed banners publicising the situation   :scarf:

This

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 13, 2013, 10:23:41 am by weststander »
I wonder if we (the club and its fans) did go down the road of creating bad press for the FA, there might be a backlash, eg no more U19 internationals or Women's FA cup finals at the Keepmoat

Shocking decision though in terms of its timing and logic. Seems like franchise football is alive and kicking in the women's game

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 13, 2013, 10:24:54 am by VivaRovers »
All being well there should be a banner at the Women's Champions League Final at Stamford Bridge next week

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 13, 2013, 10:27:20 am by DRNaith »

This

Yes, and no dig at anyone, but that required action rather than talk.

I'm not close enough geographically to get involved at that level, does anyone feel strong enough about this injustice and able to spare the time to organise something to raise the profile of this issue?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 13, 2013, 01:23:11 pm by graingrover »
Scandalous ... there should be  lockout at the Womens FA CUP Final due to be played at Keepmoat or failing that a huge banner behind each goal proclaimiing .. FA RAPE the Belles !!!!!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 13, 2013, 01:40:46 pm by albie »
This is beyond belief, and the mainstream media need to wake up and shame the people responsible.

I thought that the FA had introduced new rules after they agreed the MK Dons franchise farce, whereby any team leaving their home area (eg temporary groundshare), had to return to their home patch within a time limit. Clearly not so in the women's game, if Lincoln can migrate to become Notts County.

It does raise the question of common rules applied across the football family. The FA should not be able to govern the womens game under different criteria to the men's game. The sporting integrity of football has been tarnished by grubby grovelling to money, and the logic is to keep "the likes of Doncaster" in their place by interfering with status by merit.

I don't know if the Belles have considered the legality of the FA dictum. At the very least they are likely to suffer commercial loss through lower revenues, and reputational loss through automatic demotion.

How about raising the matter with Heather Rabbetts, the lawyer who used to be CEO with Millwall before joining the FA council. At least the Belles should press for a full explanation, and how the decision fits with the need of the FA to promote the participation of women in sport at all levels.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 13, 2013, 01:46:58 pm by RedJ »
If it's being expanded to two tiers, 18 in total, how is two banks of 9 not the obvious way for it to be set up?..

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 13, 2013, 01:54:06 pm by weststander »
This sort of thing frequently happens with emerging sports. Solihull used to have a top league ice hockey team (the Barons) which was attracted to Coventry when its new rink was built and effectively Solihull lost its top flight team.
Many years ago Doncaster had a top basketball team, the Panthers, who played in the top English league and were blessed with England internationals. Then, when more money came into the game, the team was replaced by the Sheffield Sharks.
The harsh reality is that when you introduce money into a sport the big boys become interested and the little guys get squeezed out.

yapper1901

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 13, 2013, 01:55:42 pm by yapper1901 »
Could it be it never got any press due to fact that no one cares about the women's league. I mean its women's football the fa are just trying to generate more interest and I'm guessing the club that has been promoted has either more interest or better attendances

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 13, 2013, 01:57:17 pm by graingrover »
VSC has very good contacts in the football world can we not do something constructive to help highlight this injustice and bring it to the full attention of the broader football community ( I have just paid my VSC membership btw)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 13, 2013, 01:59:03 pm by RedJ »
Could it be it never got any press due to fact that no one cares about the women's league. I mean its women's football the fa are just trying to generate more interest and I'm guessing the club that has been promoted has either more interest or better attendances
Or money.

City's women got the Belles' place.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 13, 2013, 02:03:03 pm by donny dave »
Do you think Radio Sheffield would be interested in this story.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 13, 2013, 02:03:34 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Or money.

A brand new team too I believe.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 13, 2013, 02:06:39 pm by RedJ »
Or money.

A brand new team too I believe.

Not quite - think they were in the Women's Premier League but certainly new to the Women's Super League.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 13, 2013, 02:16:00 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Isn't Rosie Winterton MP still involved with Rovers? She should have a word in Milliband's ear and raise it with the FA, Donny Belles being his constituency and all that.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 13, 2013, 02:17:10 pm by donny dave »
What do the Belles want us all to do.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 13, 2013, 03:10:31 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm afraid this Super League idea has been executed very badly. 8 teams in a league? Franchises? It's not the way to do things in football and it's hardly pulling the crowds in.

At least we still have a team - Lincoln have been told they're moving to (and transforming into) Notts County next season!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012